Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

luminalflux posted:

When my now wife moved in, she didn’t pay half because I made significantly more. She paid what we agreed was fair (pretty much what she paid for her room in her old place). No big fights over it either

When we got together, my wife was in college, then law school. I had had a house for 7+ years when we met. When she moved in, I paid for everything and since then, we collectively pooled all money. She now makes several times what I do, so it's not all bad.

Edit: As an aside, we've joked (but are serious) that I should have been the lawyer out of the two of us. She isn't a big fan of disagreement, and I've got no problem throwing down. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

She told me yesterday that she was heading over and then just never showed up or responded to my texts or whatever which I thought was rude. She told me that she just fell asleep

If that was the case, when she "woke up," the reasonable (and truthful) thing to do is to text you about it... :sever:

T-Square posted:

To be fair, if we started dating and you said you didn’t like my friends and it was them or you, I’d laugh in your face and say so long, regardless of how lovely you think they are. :shrug:

In the immortal words of Biz Markie -- Don't ever talk to a girl who says she just "has a friend."

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 2, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Governor of Texas just rescinded the mask order and says Texas should be open 100% right now.

Good news! Texas beat Covid! Nothing bad can happen from this!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

fortunately vaccine roll out is on pace that you'll probably be able to do it earlier than that

Biden just announced J&J teaming with Mercx to make the vaccine and scale it. Using Defense Production Act for multiple factories and Biden claimed enough vaccine for every adult in the US by the end of May. :stare:

That'd force all states to put in some massive mobilization to administer, but honestly, that's the most exciting bit of news I've seen in the past year.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

64bit_Dophins posted:

My dad had a Porsche Carrera 4 as his mid life crisis car so I have a hard time even typing that with a straight face but yeah I've seen some pretty obscene wealth.

Never think you've seen true wealth. A family friend has a Carrera 4 Cabriolet. That he never drives because it's in one of his 5000+ square foot homes that he rarely goes to. It's astonishing.

And it's nothing compared to my best friend, who is high enough up in a company that he has meetings with the billionaire owner.

Most people never even SEE rich people. There are very few billionaires, and their wealth is staggering in comparison with the randos that have a few dozen million.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

On a different topic, I got some Don Julio 1942 for my birthday and drat... that's some good poo poo. I've never been one to sip tequila. Before now.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 3, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

luminalflux posted:

When I moved to mexico, I learned quickly that I had to pick a couple "favorite tequilas" since everyone loved sipping that after a meal. Don Julio Reposado was my go-to, and the Don Julio 70 is a tequila I actively seek out because it's so smooth. Would love to try the 1942 but i'm not sure i want to drop $150 on a bottle.

I'd never pay that kind of scratch myself, but I've never tasted tequila like this, either... I'll have to try some other "good" tequilas now.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Happy Birthday Jerk!

Did you just turn 50 too or was that someone else

Thanks, and yep, I'm officially an old.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

though I'll miss having the heated seats that Brokeback has.

Can you swap seats? Heated seats just need +12v, easy peasy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Not if I want working airbags.

09 would have dual stage airbags and occupancy sensors. Brokeback is old enough that it just fires both airbags if I hit something. Might be able to find higher trim seats at a junkyard, but LKQ here doesn't really carry much in the way of Subaru past about 2005. Pretty sure the mount points would be a bit off too, since Brokeback is based on the Legacy, while the Foz is sorta based on the Impreza. Add in the power seats that Brokeback has and there's suddenly a lot of wiring that needs to be done.

The other way to go is just get a cheap heated seat kit from Crazy Jeff... again, it's just +12v and a switch. I did that in my wife's old '02-ish Corolla and with the included switch mounted, looked factory.

Edit: And listen to this guy:

builds character posted:

Why do you keep buying Subarus instead of reliable cars? Look, here's a corolla for 3,300 https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2004-toyota-corolla/7282192625.html

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 3, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I take 1-4 standard servings of ethanol qhs prn and it does wonders

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

That's a handsome man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Coredump posted:

I agreed until they've recently taken on some affiliation to far right people like the bugaloo movement.

Unfortunately true, I was going to say something about that, but I wasn't going to stick my head up two times in a day. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

the spyder posted:

You are going to love the 2nd dose.

My 70+ year old parents got both Pfizer doses. The first one they had a day of feeling "off," the second dose they had no side effects at all. The vaccines seem to be as weird and variable as the virus.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

My dad has this Volvo C70 that he bought with some side damage to fix and flip. All that was left to do on it when I got here was to swap the passenger seat cover for the right color, and reattach the headliner which had failed glue on the clips. Fixed those things and then realized it was due for timing belt. So I just did the timing belt, and we got it detailed and it's ready to sell. Except there's a puddle in the trunk. I pull the trunk liner and wipe up the water. 3 days later and the water hasn't evaporated. Oh great it's not water but hydraulic fluid for the convertible top mechanism.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. I can't get get rid of this garbage hogging up my garage space.

So yeah fortunately there's this shop that specializes in repair and replacement of modern hardtop convertible hydraulics. I just spent the last 2 hours watching all their quite good youtube videos on how to repair the entire system. Now to track down the leak. At best it's a loose hose, at worst it's the entire main pump assembly. $500 rebuilt or $200-$600 used. The top still works so hopefully finding the leak is easy and I can just top up the fluid.

Oh Jebus, that's a bad find.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sorry slidebite. I hope the healing for all of you comes quickly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

For the first time since August 2019, I've got a finished basement (at least this section, I still need to put flooring in the new workout room).

It's been so long, but now there's real progress. I repaired the cabinet where the fuckoff contractor gouged it, and yes, I still need to make the left speaker grille.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slidebite posted:

Yeah that looks great man.

What are you doing for floor in your workout room? I have a bedroom converted into a workout room and I need to do something with the carpet.

Thanks.

I've got another part of the basement where the workout equipment is now. When I set that up, I put down some rubber tack mats that I got from a farm supply place: https://www.cashmans.com/product/diamond-plate-patterned-mats-4-x-6-x-34/

They are heavy as hell and you simply cannot hurt them.

But the new room is larger and I don't want to be in this house forever, so I'm going to put down an engineered hardwood floor over 1/4" cork. Then, I'll cut the existing rubber mats to fit the footprint of the equipment in the new room. I think that'll be a good compromise and allow it to be a general purpose room when we go to sell.

And I highly recommend full-on horse stall mats for gym equipment.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 12, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I loving love built-ins

I built those built ins. :flex:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

It's like the LS and a Deville had a baby. That motor is begging for turbocharging.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

After teaching this way for more than a year, I've got a conclusion:

Online "college" is bullshit.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Krakkles posted:

I got an appointment to get vaccinated and I basically haven't stopped crying since.

Got my first dose Friday. Moderna, so need to go back in a few weeks. Kinda wishing they had pumped J&J into me so it'd only be a 1-stop, but I ain't complaining.

Feels good, congrats!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, round here it seems like everyone got vaccinated last week. Of course, a lot of that is 'call CVS in <small town nearby> and say you're in child care because they usually have extra doses' which sucks on like 4 levels.

Krakkles posted:

Yeah, my partner and I both agreed that we're not willing to cheat the system. We both work for healthcare companies, and could have pursued that avenue, but even that felt wrong - we're both working from home, probably permanently. I also had at least one person offer to gin up documents making it seem like I was eligible, but ... no. I recognize I'm privileged to be able to defer it, so I won't judge people who couldn't, but I'd still rather be on the right side of this. Feels like the kind of thing that you could lose sleep over later.

I feel slightly guilty getting vaccinated before my partner and child, but at least me being vaccinated will help protect them.

The number of people doing sketchy things is sad, but it's compounded by the lack of uniformity with the states, that makes the problem worse, at least here.

I got lucky, last Thursday my state opened up the categories to 50 and older. I turned 50 a couple weeks ago. The state's scheduling was a loving clown show, but I was lucky again and found availability 20 minutes away, after searching much farther through the day.

But my neighbors made a road trip to Kentucky last week because Kentucky allows you to get a vaccine if you're a smoker, with no residency requirement. So they all claimed smoking and got their shots. I don't blame them, I blame Ohio for being so behind in its distribution.

From what I can tell, at least here, the supply is fine, the capability to administer is fine, but the distribution and scheduling is monstrously bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah i got my bucks but gently caress these losers for running on "2k per person" and walking it back to include money trump already gave us

That's revisionist history. "Running on" implies pre-election. Yes, pre-election, the Dems wanted $2k per person. Trump wanted $2k per person. The Republican controlled congress would not pass that and passed $600 per person.

Then, once the Dems got in power, they passed the remaining $1400 per person... making good on the $2k per person.

So your complaint is what... that you didn't get it all at once? Or that the $600 in December/January doesn't count?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

No gently caress that. After we were issued $600 the democrats constantly messaged "$2000 checks are coming" after GA elects both D senators. Then they walked it back to "completing the job" of $2000. A two thousand dollar check means a new check for two thousand dollars. It's bullshit and the party is a joke.

And then it took two months from inauguration. We should be on our second check by now.

The $600 checks were approved in late December. The Georgia runoff election was January 4... the fact that the Republicans wouldn't yield on the $600 payment may have been a factor in the Republicans losing both Georgia seats. Show me where the Dems were saying "$2000 checks are coming" after the $600 was approved in late December.

StormDrain posted:

No gently caress that. After we were issued $600 the democrats constantly messaged "$2000 checks are coming" after GA elects both D senators. Then they walked it back to "completing the job" of $2000. A two thousand dollar check means a new check for two thousand dollars. It's bullshit and the party is a joke.

And then it took two months from inauguration. We should be on our second check by now.

My January check went to a closed account first, too. They caught up with it by paper check about 6 weeks later.

This time, I made sure to get my taxes filed early to get a new direct deposit account on file and the new payment hit my account today (after the bank held it for 3 days, like they did for all their accounts. Jerks.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 17, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Coredump posted:

meatpimp this is a bad and wrong take my friend. Ossoff and Warnock ran on us getting $2000k stimulus. Not $1400.

Edit. I do have a question if the amount was rolled down to $1400 to come under a limit for passing the bill via reconciliation. CommieGIR might be able to answer he knows these things better than me.

Fair point. I stand corrected. Anyone that actually thought that would happen after the $600, though... :thonk:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dammit, I'm mad.

I won an auction at a local online auction that I've used a lot before. It was a print shop that was going out of business after 90 years. The lot was for the contents of a 4-drawer fireproof file cabinet absolutely chock full of software. Example picture here:

See the bottom row of about 35 jewel boxes? All loving Adobe. Not the latest or greatest, but some seriously valuable stuff, even now.

There were 3 other drawers... Microsoft, general crap, some specialty stuff.

I got it at a great price and drove a half hour to pick it up, only to have the person running the auction say that one of the employees actually owned all of the stuff and took it. Bull loving poo poo.

She's supposed to try to get it back, but man, that was a goldmine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I haven't upgraded my cable modem in years. Right now I've got an Arris DG1670A, which is a DOCSIS 3.0 16x4. I didn't know about the channel parameters until I saw a 32x8 modem advertised.

My current service is 500/50. I get every bit of that in speed tests, but from what I'm reading, I'm probably thresholding this poor modem. Would I see a difference in upgrading to a modern DOCSIS 3.1 32x8?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Thanks everyone. It’s helpful to know feeling sad is normal.

Cleveland, the Mistake on the Lake.

poo poo, if you didn't feel sad, THAT would be the problem. I'm sorry for your loss.

And I'm sorry for your being in Ohio. It's not all bad, but man, NE Ohio is pretty close.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

You might eventually start getting nastygrams from your ISP. I have a 16x4 on a 300/30 plan and in the last few weeks Cox has been emailing me telling me they need to either get me on a newer modem, or "upgrade" me to a 500/10 plan (yes, 10).

Joke's on them, I'm cancelling because they don't service my new house.

I asked in the home networking thread and they brought up that I may see congestion issues during the busiest time of the day (early evening). That's exactly what I'm seeing. So I ordered a new Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 and we'll see if it clears up.

And 500/10 is just a weird plan.

Edit:

luminalflux posted:

If your current modem has an Intel Puma6 chipset you might see gains since those aren’t great at pushing a lot of traffic - latency goes through the roof. There’s a class action lawsuit and everything. I had this issue and then found out my modem was indeed one of them. You’d probably already have noticed it when trying to run 2 zoom calls at once or play games while downloading or watching Netflix

Yup, it's a Puma6 chipset... that could be the problem, too.. either way, hopefully it's fixed with a new modem.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 18, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think NW Ohio is very bad too.

There's really nothing in NW Ohio other than corn fields and wafting Indiana smell. At least you aren't continually bombarded with lake effect weather like NE Ohio.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I was going to add "other than that one place with the car plant," but didn't.:D

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 18, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Motherfucker! Spoke too soon. Rest in piece my poor sweet ESL-63.

Jebus, that's brutal. :glomp:

Insurance?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hey Rhyno -- I think the DC Universe takes itself too seriously, and that makes it less enjoyable than Marvel... what say you?

One thing about Justice League -- they have the sub-bass cranked up and it shakes my house.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mustache Ride posted:

Made a few changes to the house this afternoon.

Nice. Demo is always fun. Then the rebuilding takes forever. Godspeed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hell yeah.

I know the DeWalt is the most popular sliding saw, but drat I love my Metabo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

I don't honestly know why this was prob-able?

Neither do I.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Already reg’d just waiting on email with date. Says we have the M or Pfizer and won’t know til you get there what it is.

I got Moderna last week, kinda wishing they had J&J so I could just be done instead of waiting for the second week of April for the second shot. That probably looks like ungrateful bitching, it's not intended that way... I just want to be done and move on.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Modus Man posted:

I will definitely be in the last group to be vaccinated, no underlying conditions or anything like that. What I don’t understand is why people are getting vaccinated and then saying “oh good now I can go visit my grandparents!” I thought that this vaccine reduced symptoms but does nothing against contracting the virus or spreading it to other people. Am I wrong here? Aren’t you just as likely to be able to contract it and spread it to your grandparents as you would be without the vaccine? The main factor would be that your grandparents get the vaccine so that their symptoms are reduced?

The recent results I've seen are that the vaccinated are immune from infection, but also don't transmit. And with two vaccinated people, the risks are minimal.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

gently caress Ohio (Parma can suck it) and their stupid hidden 25mph zones on huge wide multi-lane streets that are 35 or 40 on either side.

Right by the airport? There was one there that was notorious for revenue generation.