Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aggggh I ended up getting tomorrow off of work instead of Friday so I can't game nearly as effectively as I would have liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ULRHwo2Gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

drat, is one of the lances special skills just an outright invuln button with a counterattack?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I wanted that stuffed palamute so badly. I showed my fiancée who saw the size and the price tag and was told “absolutely not”.

"We have a Palamute at home"

The Palamute at home:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hellioning posted:

Both 3U and 4U (and Generations) are on sale on the 3DS Eshop for less than 10 dollars a piece. I am going to buy 3U because I want to see how awful Underwater Combat is and I will buy 4U because I have been informed the Guildmarm is cute.

The Guildmarm is SUPER cute but the water fights in 3 were a huge wall for me as my first MH game.

Man, I kind of wish I could go back to being bad at the game like when I first played 3 on the Wii. I like...could NOT beat Barroth after so many attempts and then decided to actually buy the game instead of renting it from Family Video over and over. It came with a controller (I was using the Wiimote with nunchaku) and as soon as I switched over to that I beat it on my first try

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bleck posted:

is this gonna be one of those times where they say a game comes out on Friday and what they mean is that the game is playable at 11:59:59PM

Nintendo releases are usually at midnight the day of so try 11:59:59 tomorrow night

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im excited that HBG is lowest on the list because I love doing dumb bullet math

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the Vale is my favorite themed MH zone because there's so much there that feels new and like it wouldn't fit anywhere else, meanwhile pretty much all the other monsters could go to every other map. I agree, having Vaal Hazaak or the Odogaron on any other map would feel weird.

That being said my favorite map is the main map from 3. World's main map is massive for how few combat arenas there are and it's so easy to get turned around and not be able to tell exactly where you're going. Even the scoutflies aren't totally reliable for the fastest route and there's been plenty of times I've been running back and forth trying to find a monster

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh my god the guillotine slash looks absolutely nuts

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Captain Lavender posted:

Don't squabble over weapons. I challenged myself to beat Fatalis with all of them, and in the process I learned that they are all beautiful and perfect - except the bowguns. I fuggin hate those things.

Or I just don't get them.

I love bowguns but they're really a multiplayer weapon, using them solo feels very very badly unless you're doing some absolute cheese poo poo where you put on Rocksteady and fire a million cluster bombs

if you go online suddenly you can build a slightly different variation of meme build where you go all-in on damage and are constantly pelting and doing amazing DPS from almost total safety

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

prayer group posted:

So... how the hell do I play this game? I've never played a Monster Hunter game before and my friends told me I should check out the Rise demo. I can see how there's a lot to dig into and figure out here, but the game just seemed completely disinterested in teaching me how to play it. I can run up and swing my weapon, I can do the little recovery Wirebug technique when you get hit, and I can do the Silk-thing where you do a cool aerial Wirebug attack but that's all I've figured out. Is there a dodge/roll thing or do I have to keep laboriously putting away my weapon and running away? What are all these crazy additional mechanics that the individual weapons have? I played Dual Blades and killed a few things without realizing there's a Demon Mode or something? And I guess there's a counter mechanic?? Basically my point is, if there's more to combat than walking up and pressing X then I don't know and the game won't tell me.

Some of those are just buttons. Push all of your buttons.

But otherwise in the main menu there is the Hunter's Notebook that will explain all of your moves fighting-game style and explain what each one does and how meters work and all that stuff. If you wanna be MLG "what attacks should I be using when" then you either have to play for a million hours or just watch Youtube videos of people beating rear end like everyone else does

There's also like, a tutorial listed in the demo mission select you can play

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 25, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I am going to get the physical release because I hate having to manage save data on my Switch but also so I do not stay up until 5am playing on Friday morning. Very unfortunate

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hunting Horn is in a weird spot just because (even though apparently it is getting a damage nerf) it's seemingly the most effective in a party because of multiple people getting your buffs, but because of the way KO scales it might actually be better solo. At least in World, KO was scaled to such an extreme level in multiplayer that you'd be lucky to get one KO per fight, but in my solo missions I was absolutely clowning the monsters. Interested to see what some of the math comes out to once you get access to decorations and armor sets and how useful statuses will be this time around

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wait...........the game isn't even getting an "ending" until an unannounced 3.0 version and HR won't unlock until the end of April?????

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God danging I did the exact same thing here that I did in World where I took the starter katana into the first "slay 8 tiny idiots" mission and miss almost every single attack because the vertical slice is so thin and the hitboxes are so tiny

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SnS and Dual Blades are like, the two weapons I've absolutely never touched

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Really wanna get a little deeper in the game to see how some of these Bowgun strats hold up. Shotgun permastun HBG was the build in World but charging ammo seems pretty neat - I'm wondering if Slicing ammo could be totally nuts again, or what the deal with Shrapnel shots are

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As someone who played Metal Gear Survive a ton in February, a tower defense game with MGS mechanics, I love the Rampage stuff

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hammer is absolutely nuts. Not super flashy but being able to rocket jump up to enemies whose heads are way in the air is absolutely massive. So easy to get a million knockouts when you never have to stop attacking

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Imagine Jordan Peterson doing Kabuki Theatre

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oscar Wild posted:

So it's not just me. I've been wondering when the bow was going to start getting good. Oh well, maybe I'll switch to IG.

The Bow was INCREDIBLY powerful in World but the biggest issue is that the ways in which it is good are not very unintuitive. Can't speak on its power in Rise yet but peep this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLWGf4U-_Us&t=118s

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 28, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alxprit posted:

I'm preparing to start using Heavy Bowguns when I get up to high rank, but I don't know which weapon I should be focusing on. All the different bowguns have all these different stats like recoil, deviation... and ammo selections and all, it's somewhat overwhelming. Any Bowgun experts can let me know what to look for? Piercing elemental ammo seems pretty cool but it's not like there's a gun that can fire all of it at once, I imagine. What other ammos are good? Give me the entire crash course, please.

So the thing with bowguns is that there are general builds to go for that are based around what ammo types you want to use. You kind of choose guns backwards, where you say to yourself "okay, I'm going to make a Pierce Ammo build, so I need a gun that's the most effective at shooting Pierce ammo." Find guns that are able to shoot Pierce ammo, then you compare the recoil/reload stats to nail a specific gun down, but you always start with the ammo chart.

So, say you're looking to make a gun that does very high water-type damage. First, you find the guns with Water Ammo as an option. Then, you look at which ones can Rapid Fire (three shots per single ammo, indicated by the orange arrow on the ammo chart). You see that the Springnight shot can rapid-fire water ammo, so you look at the recoil, it's low, and fast reload speed, so this is a great choice. Then you can get armor that gives you Water Attack, or whatever other skills that compliment your ammo choice (There's skills that boost the damage of basically every ammo type). It's kind of complicated, but it's mostly just looking at weapon charts to compare. The key to really getting down and dirty with the numbers is having enough experience with the weapons to know what weird tradeoffs are worth it, like, is it better to have more ammo capacity or a higher reload speed, minor stuff like that, but if you've got the general strategy of picking out the strong weapons those minutia aren't that big a deal.

Here are the general ammo type strategies you'll be building around:

Spread Ammo: basically a shotgun build, you're aiming for an enemies head to induce chain KO damage and permastun monsters. HBG has shields to keep you safe and generally more ammo capacity than LBG and are generally used for this build.

Piercing Ammo: Ammo that does damage as it travels, so the longer the monster is and the longer the ammo collides with the hitbox the more damage it does. Not very useful against really small monsters, but against very long and slow enemies this melts. This game added elemental piercing ammo, which is cool AND can be rapid-fired by LBGs, but I don't know how it stacks up vs Pierce Ammo 3. It's probably pretty good. The benefit of non-elemental ammo though is you can use it vs any monster, if you want elemental piercing ammo you'll have to make four different guns, one for each element, unless this game does the World thing and makes 75% of the monsters weak to Thunder and only 10% weak to fire.

Elemental Ammo: Exactly the same as Normal ammo but with elemental damage. LBGs can rapid-fire and are the preference for this ammo, I never see elemental single-shot HBG builds (might change with elemental piercing ammo but that's different)

Slicing Ammo: Worth mentioning because it was broken as gently caress in World and needed to be nerfed, but with HBGs now able to charge their ammo attacks it might be nuts again. Basically slicing ammo does KO damage for chainstuns, but can also cut tails!!! I'd wait for a trip report before committing to a Slicing-only build but a nice bonus ammo type for any gun.

Sticky Ammo: Breaks monster parts really good but not a primary form of damage. If you want a specific drop from breaks or something like, to remove Barroth's coating so your teammates attacks stop bouncing.

Shrapnel Ammo: Seems like ammo that auto-aims for you so long as the monster is within a cone? New ammo type, not sure exactly what the use case is.

I don't know how much of this sort of stuff is returning from World, but there's also a few meme builds you can do with stuff like Cluster Bomb ammo that is normally meant to be the big-damage ammo you use after a monster is knocked out, but those require very specific setups and aren't really worth investing in for anything other than like, speedrun setups. Anyways, I would try to get more specific in terms of some example guns and some starter builds, but I just hit the credits and have been taking things pretty slow so I don't have access to any of the good stuff yet. I'm waiting to try them out until I hit postgame and can just buy all the ammo I need. Hope that helps get you started with bowguns.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Diephoon posted:

The new thing with HBGs is you can charge up every shot by holding the button down. I'm wondering if this makes shrapnel more usable vs. large monsters. It's nice for clearing small monsters but that's not really important. It feels like it just hits in a really huge cone like old pellet shot but without the friendly fire.

I tried this out a little bit in the training room and while charging Piercing ammo does give you a damage bonus you'd actually care about, Shrapnel shots got boosted from like, 7x3 to 9x3 or something, really underwhelming overall. But maybe there's a LBG that can rapid fire it and it's nuts or something

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah the Odogaron armor sets look so cool. That's one thing that I'm not sure how much existed in other games, but with its whole death theme, World had some dope armor sets that looked like Mad Max motorcycle armor.

Also I LOVE the Anjanath intro video. Like, in every single one, there's the implication that the monster gets eaten, but in this one they make absolutely sure to show you that no dont worry the Felyne gets away and does not get eaten

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright I learned something moderately important, Jump Master (can't be knocked back during jumps) does not appear to work when using Silkbind attacks or when just using them to launch yourself. So, either the game has a weird definition of when you are technically considered "jumping" (ie the Hammer Silk attacks that launch you do not count as jumping), or it doesn't protect you against attacks and is only meant to protect you against like, roars or something. Or maybe it does basically nothing like it apparently does in World

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Made the rathian LBG to try out the rapid fire shrapnel. Gonna be a big "lol" and thumbs up from me.

Especially funny when the counter signal comes out and suddenly each pellet of shrapnel is doing 20 damage, so you're just shredding a tetra in 4 seconds flat with multiple hundred damage a click shrapnel 2s.

It seems like there's certain moves that are just completely juiced with the counter signal. Doing the hammer silkbind move where you jump in the air has each residual hit for like 100+ and then your final smash is 400

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Harrow posted:

I don't remember from World: do you get credit for completing a key quest if you join someone else's after they put out a join request, or does it have to be your own?

You definitely got credit for beating a mission in someone elses lobby. I think thats how I did every PC mission since Id already solod the PS4 version

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aerox posted:

Hammer question: I’ve gotten pretty good at doing charge Impact Craters to stun monsters, but I’m not sure what the best thing to do is once I have them knocked down for a bit. Is there a specific hammer combo that’s best for when you have a monster stunned and down?

So I use hammer but almost never use Crater during the fight itself, but I use the windmill launch all the time. I say that because my go-to to a downed enemy is the full A-button combo and then at the end I drop Crater, which you might not have enough silk charges for if that's what you used to down the monster. I like this combo because like 1/3 of the time it will immediately get stunned again and you can unload another full combo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Full Big Bang + Impact Crater is like 15 seconds worth of attack animations. No way a monster is down for the entirety of that, you have a high chance of missing the Crater and/or getting hit out of it.

I mean I do it every time to every enemy

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Aerox posted:

Is Windmill Launch the A-X-X combo or is it the stage 2 charge?

No sorry thats not the actual name of it, I don't know the names of basically any attacks in this game. It's the default Silkbind skill on the X button, the one that only takes one charge that launches you spinning forward in the air. Though, I do use the blue-form stage 2 charge move all the time. I usually lead combos with that, it's got great vertical range and also has a little dash on it so it's one of your best moves range-wise.

my general hammer strategy is to always be moving, use the level 2 charge blue-form lunge attack to initiate, then combo into the X combo. The A combo I only use if I know I'm gonna have some free time. I'll use the silkbind skills to reposition or hit things out of my range, only using Impact Crater to finish off a Big Bang A-button combo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I also dont like that the radial menu is on the same button as the detailed map so you can't run around to find the account item spawn locations while having the map open unless you turn the radial menu off

the only time I even use the radial menu is for riding the dog

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

Man, as a hammer player I was having a rough time with that 4* electric lizard. Killed it but it sucked.

Crafted poison dual blades as a lark, fought it again and got my first sub-10 minute hunt.

I guess elemental weaknesses are a real thing.

I use hammer but having come from World, I killed Tobi really fast. The biggest reason your kill time probably went way down is because Dual Blades mean you don't need to exclusively aim for the head and can just sort of go to town on tails/underbellies, which mean you're attacking way more often. Once you fight the monsters more, you'll be able to spend way less time chasing openings because you'll know exactly where their head will be after each attack so you can cut out the downtime that doesn't crop us nearly as much for things like DB or SA.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mightygerm posted:

Whats a good way to grind money? HR crafting takes quite a bit and running group quests seems to split the zenny rewards. Do I just speedrun 6/7* village?

Rampage missions seem to have a pretty high zenny reward compared to how easy they are

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Thumbtacks posted:

It's surprisingly difficult to find resources for HBG. Like I know for a lot of weapons there's a lot of theorizing and testing and poo poo but it doesn't seem to be the case for HBG. I'm trying to figure out if taking Focus 3 with Counter Charger would make it actually worthwhile and the best I can find is people going "idk maybe"

seems like people just really prefer LBG in general

I absolutely love theorycrafting bowgun stuff but honestly, there's not much point in getting too deep into the weeds for me until I actually hit postgame and unlock all the weapons and have access to functionally unlimited money for ammo. The big science to actually do is identifying what weapon is best used for each ammo type, so anything I manage to figure out is going to be obsoleted as soon as I unlock more weapons

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Me looking at every single gif: wow I need to use that weapon

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Saint Freak posted:

Hmm, but have you tried an obscene amount of little numbers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fC2oke5MFg

But for real, almost no build discussions really matter that much outside of bowguns, and that's only because all the different ammo types are so different that they're more akin to different weapons entirely, so there's a lot of math to be doing. All the build arguments I see are like, Longsword vs Longsword, never the dps numbers of longsword vs hammer. Even then, for most weapons, there's not a ton of science to be done, you just pick the biggest numbers.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bann posted:

Anyone poked at arena quests much yet? I've spent more time than I care to admit on them solo and have yet to hit an S rank. I'm not sure if its supposed to be easier to hit if you duo them or not.

Im almost positive its just based on clear time so its faster duo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ojetor posted:

Anyone else messed around much with Charge Switch: Courage? I've been trying out for the past few hunts and it's really hard for me to gauge how effective it is. Definitely a very different playstyle from Strength, but I feel like Strength might just be better overall. A single Charged Brutal Big Bang does about 70% of the damage of the full Courage Combo but it's far easier to land and build up to. Might just be I'm just better at the old hit & run Hammer style due to thousands of hours of previous gameplay. Thoughts?

This is the first game where I've tried hammer and I used it for the entirety of LR and without looking at the way anyone else it playing it, yeah for me Strength is just way better. Monsters move so much that you've got plenty of time to charge attacks.

I thiiiiink the way it's intended to be used it to very quickly charge up for your Silkbind skills? It seems like it's meant to be paired with Dash Breaker to charge up a fully-powered counterattack where you abuse iframes to constantly slam into enemies. But, I've tried Dash Breaker for a few fights and I just don't like it nearly as much as the other skill. Maybe I'll give it another show now that I'm doing some of the easier HR monsters

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay after trying Courage hammer mode I think I misunderstood what it did, because I'm not sure if it does anything. Like, you can't manually charge into your level 3 attack unless you switch styles to get to max, which seems incredibly bad because your level 3 charge attacks are nuts. The charge time isn't even faster, so yeah, I have no idea what courage mode even does

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

v1ld posted:

Don't weep for HBG just yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXIRhAws-1o

That's got ammo problems, being all cluster bombs. But still pretty impressive to see Mag go down in 2:35.

drat, not even charging the shots. That's nutso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I got my first HR set around with Slugger3 Stamina Thief3 and man, the Khezu fight was kind of sad. After it changed zones the first time, the music never cut back in, and it was just constantly stunned or just standing there in between attacks panting, it only ever used the same really slow moves that let me punish it really hard over and over...just absolutely clowned the thing.