Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Blockhouse posted:

are there any more obvious japan themed monsters to add?

Kirin is the obvious one, and a fan favorite too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Oxyclean posted:

I think I go that one, but I dont know where to slot it into some of the builds im looking at since they already got the 2x from the belt, so I'm not quite sure where to make up the last point.

Either Zinogre head or chest can give that last point of WEx, and look rad as hell too, which frees up your belt slot for something better than Rarity 4 junk with no deco slots. Not sure what your overall build is, but Anja belt seems pretty generally solid since it comes with two points of attack boost and three deco slots, two level 1s and a level 2.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

-1 I think? I’m just using Ingot/alloy/Rathalos so my defense isn’t super high.

Elemental resists aren't even that important, I think, besides maybe getting enough to hit the blight immunity threshold. Monster attacks are a bit like player weapon attacks, in the sense they should deal both physical and elemental damage, with most of it being physical, even for ranged attacks like fireballs and beams.

Is your equipment fully upgraded? The game really floods you with armor spheres, and having every piece maxed out does a lot for your survivability.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

PringleCreamEgg posted:

If they add Bazel and Pickle, they should be immune to riding. Allow them to be stunned by it but they just buck you off immediately. Or at least do something so they don’t immediately run away afterwards.

Honestly it'll probably be enough if invaders don't have the usual non-target mounting vulnerability. Without that weakness, it'll probably take more time and energy and resources to get a mount on an invading Pickle or Bazooplegoose than people are really willing to spend, especially if the target monster is there and angry and adding to the chaos.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Achmed Jones posted:

there's something funny about carving a monsters tail while it stares you down and/or tries to kill you

but if i don't there a good chance it'll despawn while we fight so i take the risk :ohdear:

i really wish that dead monsters wouldn't despawn until they've been carved or at least you've left the area

Has Rise changed the despawn timer since World? It was a serious concern in World to grab the shinies and carve the bits before they despawn, but in Rise I remember mounting a monster, riding it over to the target, beating it for loose change, then mounting the target and steering it to another area to launch it into an environmental hazard. When I went back to the target's original area, all six shinies were still there waiting for me to pick them up. It definitely seems more generous, although I guess it could also be from the faster traversal through the map.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Azran posted:

So let's say I'm a dumb idiot who wants to max out the (regular) Leshen's research bar. Is there any mod that would speed up the process? I really don't want to fight him 2-3 times, once was enough (the bar's currently halfway toward level 3)

Wait for someone to put up an SOS for it, then hop in, putter around, and look busy? If you manage not to cart then you're probably already above average by pubbie standards.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Spider Plant posted:

In rise, what's the requirement for unlocking the apex Diablos quest? I'm pretty sure that's the next one for me (having done Azuros, Miz, and Rathian) but I can't get it. I'm HR 130+ with Mr. Jet Engine still to do. Should I just be hunting him in rampages until it pops, or is there something I've missed?

Have you done a Rampage with Apex Diablos yet? That's the usual unlock condition for the normal Apex hunt quests.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Tea-grex, by way of El Tigre, is the only correct pronunciation.

I'm personally partial to Bazooplegoose, but I think I more commonly call it B-52, American Dragon, or egg.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does anyone actually throw poop anymore

Its so easy to do wyvern riding, it seems like you would want another monster there most of the time

Non-target monsters are really easy to mount, and leave once you do, so there's not a lot of reason to. On the other hand, if they are both quest targets, then it can be pretty good way to get rid of one screaming jerk. I'm looking at you, 2 Diablos and 2 Diablos 2 Furious.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

chumbler posted:

Mount one, do its damage, then launch it rather than doing the mounted punisher, then you can hop on the other and do the same but finish with the punisher.

Close, you need to grab a non-target 3rd (4th?) party monster first for that, mount and launch it into one target monster, and then ride that one into the second target monster, who can then beat up the first target monster some more.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Alxprit posted:

RNG charms is so much better than RNG decos it's not even funny, though I feel like a big portion of that is that RNG charms also have charms with slots. I wonder what it would've been like if you could have forged a charm in Iceborne that just had three size-4 slots, would that have been optimal?

Yes, absolutely. Charms go up to level 5, but three size-4 slots gives you a total of six levels of something. A Crit Eye 5 charm is strictly worse than getting Crit Eye 6 by slotting in three Expert+ decos, for example, although any combination of any decos would be fine as long as they're all carrying skills you want. The only caveat, of course, is that it assumes you have good decos to slot in.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

ZeusCannon posted:

Was it legiana in iceborne that made little ice walls? I just remembered hop skipping over those as lance and it being great

Velkhana, probably? Yeah, with the way mounting damage worked, it felt really fun and cheesy to roll off a knee-high ledge and just rack up the mount damage.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No, when I allow myself to fight a Tigrex in a narrow lane I deserve what's coming to me

If anything, fighting in a hallway and putting Tigrex' back to the wall is the best way to fight it, since then it'll have nowhere to run. :getin:

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Ulio posted:

Thanks, so it depends on the set bonus or is it always better to mix n match?

The set bonus is (usually) basically nothing, so mix and match to grab the skills you want, and embrace the clownsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Fifteen of Many posted:

If I’m just roaming around the guided lands killing whatever is that a net bad way to do it? I know zone level or delevel but wasn’t sure if it comes out okay just fighting what comes.

Yeah, that should be fine. There's I think a (mostly) hard cap on total level but it'll be a while before you hit it, and if you want anything specific from a specific max Level 7 zone you can drop into someone else's Guiding Lands. I think the way it works out practically is you can get every region to level 5 or so, and a handful to 7? But things mostly work out if you just keep hunting whatever.