Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rise is Great played like 3 hours one sitting with friends last night knocking out Hub quests and learning movesets.

Still confused on online though

1. Is online ONLY in the hub? Can you do village quests online?

2. Does hub progress only carry over to host? I got to HR2 and my friends did not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

1. You can't do village quests online, only the Hub quests can be joined as a group.

2. If everyone in your group has unlocked the urgent, you will all progress to the next HR level if you clear it together. This fixes like, the one thing wrong with the old Hub design, only e host getting credit for Urgents, making this the Perfect monster Hunter.

Thanks - weird that only I progressed then. You do get credit towards the urgent if you aren’t in your own lobby right?

Also I unlocked switch arts but have no idea how to use them. Are these the weapon modes I heard about? I only played World

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hogama posted:

I was playing in a friend's lobby and got all the clear credit from the urgents we did together.

All you do for switch arts is go to your item chest and choose the "Change Switch Skill" option (you can only swap for your currently equipped weapon).. It'll tell you the basic controls of the active skill(s), though you might need to look up/experiment with new follow-up(s) attacks. It's not quite the different styles from like Generations Ultimate but the options provided do still tend to enable different flows/feels for your weapons. None may be strictly superior to the defaults but like the one I'm familiar with right now (Dual Blades) means that instead of having a dashing blender attack on the ground in Demon/Archdemon mode (which is fairly useful for positioning and damage) it's instead a stab that, if it connects, vaults you into the air and you can then follow up with easy aerial attacks (which do mounting damage and let you more easily hit high on tall monsters and/or break backs) including Heavenly Blade Dance (the one where you surf down the length of a monster doing a spinny whirlwind of hits).

But like Heavy Bowgun can choose between Mech-Wyvernsnipe and Healing Mech-Wyvernsnipe - the latter isn't a changed action per se as I read it, but it deals less damage as a tradeoff for also healing you when you hit with it.

Thanks! Yeah I am not feeling the switch axe at all this time and I wanted to see if the arts eventually get me to use it again

Wirebugs make the hammer SO fun to use. There is no longer any downside to the weapon because you just fly into somethings face and hit it

Party Meiser posted:

i can't stop using switch axe in any monster hunter. help

I got into MH World first and I really liked the switch axe because it was The Bloodborne Weapon but something about it put me off of it this game. Not sure if it’s because of the starting arts being kinda boring or what but I wanna unlock more arts for it and keep trying because I absolutely loved it in World

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ve seen people mention the switch axe has different modes but I don’t see those in the switch skills - are there literally different weapon trees with different play styles? Very cool if so, I know Gunlance has different shelling types which I never understood

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Triarii posted:

Seriously, I grabbed hammer as my first weapon out of the gate because I figured I'd start simple before trying other weapons, but it's been so hard to put it down. Impact Crater is a beastly move and doing the swap from blue > yellow stance for an instant full charge to maximize its damage feels slick as hell, and the unlockable Dash Breaker is a great gap closer that both does more damage when you're charged, and also maintains your charge through it, so you can glide straight into a fully charged slam when a monster tries to move away from you.

The hammer is so so so good this time. Wirebugs make it so fun. I am for sure leveling hammers if not maiming them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is it just me or does hammer have virtually 0 friendly fire? Even on smaller monsters I don’t see myself hitting allies often but I also don’t use the spin charge often

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man as someone who just played world this game had so much personality. The cats and animations and all that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just fought a Barroth and uh... I guess even with Hammer I shouldn't always be aiming for the head huh
I got curious and looked up the hunter notes and the game actually breaks down where you should hit every monster which I feel like I should have looked up earlier. The bear isn't meant to be hit in the head either! You hit it in the butt

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I have only been using hammers but I crafted enough Gunlances to try DASH BASH or whatever it’s called

Can someone explain Long vs Normal vs “shelling level” and all that. Should I just look up the best one to use and ignore the rest

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn’t even think of radial menu = infrequent items and use potions and whatever off the “normal” menu. The controls in this series are insane.

mightygerm posted:

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

Ah good to know, when I occasionally play Gunlance I’ll just avoid Wide in that case. I have Hammers to KO things

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Man, souring wyvern blade for SA is a work of art. That in addition to the insane buff to evade extender makes it feel like a whole different weapon, and I mained it all through World HR. Let's take a break from DB and enjoy this a bit
I mained Switch Axe throughout all of World but really didn't like it in the demo and have been maining Hammer with the intent to try Gunlance too but seeing people play more with it makes me wanna go back to it especially with some of the switch art tweaks

Johnny Joestar posted:

the people saying the game is easy were probably going purely off of village quests, which are very much just an extended tutorial. not that the game is blisteringly hard, though, for anyone who has spent a lot of time with world and previous games before that. even beyond that it's not even remotely actually easier than other, equivalent, tiers in previous games.

The 4* village quests are easier than soloing some of the 2* hub quests from what I've seen so far

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat Village Magnamalo and what a fun fight but also man they barely tried to have a story in this one didn’t they

I actually kind of liked that World had a bit of a narrative and from what I hear this game even at high rank literally doesn’t have an ending yet

Anyway time to beat him in Hub too lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I know MH doesnt need a story but the characters are sooo good and likeable that I want more of them. Dango cat song

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How come sometimes I knock a monster down and then knock it down again? I’m using the Hammer. Are there different “KO” vs “Damage” knockdowns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Norns posted:

Anyone seen a good guide for Rampages yet?

Soloing these, and coming up *one loving goal short of S rank* is getting old because all I can seem to do is run the gently caress away from the apex in the final phase.

They don’t feel designed to solo and get a high rank I’ll be honest. Every time I do them online it’s basically an easy clear but solo I struggle

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I have very limited irl friends time and this week we met up and played 7 hours straight of in person monster hunter game owns

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A hunting horn and hammer player together both with slugger 3 will just knockdown everything always

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played a LOT of monster hunter yesterday and went from a rarity 2 hammer to a rarity 5 hammer so I can’t quite tell if it’s just that I lost my frame of reference

But with blue sharpness, HH buffs is the Hammer 2 wirebug move supposed to do... 680 damage hitting the head of a rathian in a 5* hub hunt?

I love hammer so much. It’s making me like the game more

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok so I tried a decent amount of switch axe (my main in world) and I just cannot get excited for it. I got the switch art that does the explosion dive which is cool. I guess you can stick the sword in monsters still. I dunno I feel like I’m missing something

I’m going back to Hammer for now but it is a bit disappointing. Next weapon I’ll try is Gunlance

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Are the hammer switch skills kinda bad? Other then water strike which is better than the alternative but still very hard to actually use properly the other ones feel like big downgrades

Also do multiple hits KO faster? If I flip into someone’s head is it way easier to KO or is it based on raw damage

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dash Breaker and Spinning Bludgeon are both really good, so the choice between them is pretty hard. Spinning Bludgeon is much better against slow or tall monsters like the bears or Anjanath, while Dash Breaker's full second of invulnerability while dashing makes it great against monsters that move a lot or have big hard-to-dodge AOEs. Dash Breaker also remembers your charge after you dash, so if you charge up to level 3, Dash Breaker, and tap your charge button you'll throw out the L3 charge attack immediately (or you can push and hold if you need to reposition after the dash). Dash Breaker makes Magnamalo, Nargacuga, and most of the other kitty dragons into chumps, it's great.

I vastly prefer Strength over Courage, but Courage probably does more damage if you can use it well. It's a totally different playstyle, like switching from a Long Gunlance to a Wide one. I could see Courage being really useful but it also feels extremely demanding. It feels like you'll have to know the monster you're fighting perfectly to get consistent L3 charge combos going since even the slightest tap will interrupt you, but I would bet we'll see Hammer speedrunners using it if they're not already.

Good call on dash breaker being better on the quick guys I’ll definitely try it out there. Some of those guys are a nightmare with hammer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

I've been using the full anja with hammer and it's a match made in heaven

It seems super good for hammer! I only have the gloves but 2 attack boost and 2 slugger is crazy

I have tried some Focus and it's actually not really as good as I thought it would be? Maybe I'm using it wrong but I never really felt like my charge needed to be 10% faster or whatever

I've been looking online a bit and people seem to think Slugger endgame is not as useful as having just more levels of attack or weakness hit or whatever but I love knocking out monsters 4 times a hunt

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ojetor posted:

You can also use Dash Breaker to ignore roars, it's amazing.

Focus ain't great on Hammer since you sometimes actually want to use the level 2 sliding uppercut, and Focus reduces your window for that. Maybe not as relevant for Rise since you do get a sliding move on level 3 with Strength stance. Also unlike a weapon like Bow, you're not using charges as soon as you get them so Focus doesn't help land more charge attacks. It's not like the faster charge will let you do two smashes instead of just one nor does it increase the speed enough that you can smash in openings you previously couldn't.

Slugger is firmly in the nice to have category, it's not as good as it sounds because of how status buildup and resistance works in MH. I like it for multiplayer more than solo.

Makes sense, frees up some armor to try something else. And yes I spend a LOT of time running around glowing

Your Computer posted:

the hammer is so comfy, i love being able to pull off stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/vMoHGei.mp4

I did not know you could waterstrike a roar this is amazing

Hammer in Rise is the most fun I have ever had in a MH game.

Like I know I played SWaxe in this and didn't like it as much but maybe it's just Hammer is so much more fun it ruined other weapons for me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So for people that have played a lot of Monster Hunter, I gotta ask;
Has HR Rathalos always been just a giant, flying rear end in a top hat?

I played some World but I'm on track to play a lot more Rise and it feels like they made everything more mobile to make up for wirebug

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Hammer chat: charged impact crater feels so good every time it lands

https://twitter.com/Die_phoon/status/1378531040495501312

SO good

It's even better when you can do a big heavy combo and still have the chance to do charge > switch to yellow > full charged impact crater as the monster gets up (it is on the ground, knocked out, because you are a hammer user)

Like I know I just keep saying it but I had a good time with World, enjoyed it as my first real MH I got into, got to HR, and just stopped. Never did the HR endgame farm or that much multiplayer, just saw it as a fun action RPG I played for a bit

Rise, to me, is better in every way and I think Hammer is a big part of it

The wirebug movement is so fun and fluid and I can't believe I was playing a MH game without it
The wirebug specials give some really good nice finishers to weapons that didn't have them - I think this is part of the reason I am less big on Switch Axe this time around. Who needs a big finisher when every weapon has a big finisher
Hammer is so, so fun.It's incredible simple (Press button to bonk, hold button to bonk more) but it feels like when you're just focusing on the simplicity of "Hit Monster in Head" you learn so much about the monsters and the game and it's clicking with me much more than World ever did

I was doing some low ranks with a friend yesterday and I switched back to Swaxe to practice a bit and I was just like I should play hammer again

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So why switch to yellow? Seems like blue is better in every way, though I guess I’m basing that mostly on its level 3 moves. Sometimes I only remember to switch when i accidentally do yellow’s spinning level 3. Does your hammer do more damage in yellow?

People have mentioned it already but if you're in blue mode (which you should be 90% of the time) and switch to yellow you go straight to max charge. The wirebug moves all don't care which mode you're in, they benefit the same from max charge in yellow or blue - but impact crater (Jump up and slam down) does more than double the damage if you're fully charged when you start it, it's a big big big difference.

So as an example you can do something like full charge > Spinning Bludgeon > Switch to Yellow for another full charge > Impact Crater, or you can big bang combo a stunned monster and then switch to yellow > impact before it gets up (instead of just sitting and staring at it while your hammer charges up)

Also moving from blue to yellow mode makes you dash forward, so it can be a good way to close the gap on an enemy with your weapon out and ready

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite thing about Impact Crater is that the second damage number comes from you hitting the ground so hard the ground breaks and hits the monster from below as hard as you just hit it from above. :allears:

Hell ya
I changed my in-game title in lobbies to

Hammer Gang
Big Bang

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m taking a break from doing every key quest to go back and do a lot of requests I missed. I almost wish there was a way to track some of these as an actual quest. What the hell is a kestrodon and where do I find 8 of them. Where do I get eggs. (I ended up looking it up but there are like 20 of these!)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got a great gathering palico with status up and really good moves

But he doesn’t look like the cat I made after my irl cat :( can you edit after you make a palico?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My new cat gives me more drops, which 90% of the time is the reason you are fighting a monster. He also does a bunch of status effects and has status up which is a lot more useful than I thought it would be. My dog was fun to ride but yeah honestly a bit useless in a fight

My old cat kept healing me to the point when I switched him out I did not realize how much I was relying on the healing and oh man you take a LOT of damage in this game at HR lol

I do need to unlock all the sub camps though running to a monster without them across the map suuuucks, I didn't learn the wirebug shortcuts yet and I don't know where all the great wirebug points are

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I also really really miss riding the dog into battle, jumping with the dog, jumping off the dog, and then charging my hammer and slamming something in the face
Edit: But I can't change their faces or anything at this point right? Missing my default cat appearance

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Theres a lunatic I play with every now and then who hates capturing, not for any gameplay or drop percentage reasons, but because he thinks all the monsters need to die and also some macho "I finish what I start" poo poo

Given how easy capturing is in this one its mighty tempting to start doing it occasionally when I hunt with him to see the reaction

I don't hate capturing but I do feel like the first time I fight a monster I like to get it to the end. Their moveset/behavior changes as the fight goes on and I like to experience it all. Capturing feels kinda anticlimactic

Magna Kaser posted:

Sort of, but in Rise you get less materials overall capturing instead of hunting the monster.

By slaying a monster you get 3 quest rewards vs capturing's 2. On top of that a bunch of materials everyone wants like nargacuga marrow and mizutsune claws are either carve only or significantly higher % chance to drop from a carve. I could be mistaken but I think there are there are no capture-only drops in Rise, everything is either a carve, broken part drop/reward, or quest reward. Some things like Plates and Tails are generally higher chance from capturing than carving, tho.

tldr there is a pretty quantifiable difference but it depends entirely on what you want. Generally speaking tho in Rise killing the monster is going to be preferable to capturing unless you're going for specific parts that are higher % from capture.

Oh man this explains why it took me forever to get a marrow. I know this stuff is listed in monster notes.

From what I've seen there are even some drops that are faster to farm in Village than they are from the HR version of the fight?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Veev posted:

Being able to hop on a dog and use any item safely makes them A+, that being said outside of the chompers I have no idea what any of the dog gear does. I see them cast stuff with the scrolls but I could not tell you if it has any real effect.

One of the scrolls I just got makes the dog attack faster which seems useful if you have a status effect dog
There are 2 chompers, one where the dog distracts the monster you start with, one where the chomper sticks to the monster and you do bonus damage if you hit it. I use hammer so kinda useless to me but apparently very good for the quick weapons

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Just started trying some Greatsword last night and Rage Slash is some loving cool poo poo. Just yet another way for Greatswords to no-sell any attack, while also powering up as you take damage.

https://twitter.com/Saint_Freak/status/1379268056090746884

No hunter, you ARE the monsters!

(also my cat helpfully knocking it out of my first strike for like 20 damage thanks buddy)

This is incredibly cool but I never played GS and this makes it look much harder than I thought. With hammer you're charging all the time but you're fast, you're always repositioning waiting for a chance to smack a monster. I'm not nearly good enough to know when to charge if I can't move

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I love how easy it is to jump into a new weapon and get up to speed. Last night I managed to grind out a full Rakna set and a rarity 6 bow in a couple hours

What's the best way to start a new weapon? I try to play with different weapons when helping lower rank friends who aren't great at the game and I dunno if I should just go down the standard Kamura path or what (I also try not to use max rank stuff on low rank hunts)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I can't stress enough that the overall skill level of randoms online right now is quite low, and feels lower than World at launch. I'm still seeing folks carting to Izuchi and Arzuros and poo poo. If you know your weapon and what it should be doing you're already head an shoulders above like half the online right now. You're probably a lot better at MH than you think.

It might be the timezone where I'm playing but I will get on to a rampage with 2-3 Japanese players who get an S rank while I kinda just watch on confused in the background

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bunch of questions now that I'm in the highest rank. I had to go farm money so I could upgrade all my armor to max because wow it suddenly got hard, I thought I could wait and farm up some of the pieces I wanted instead of upgrading this assortment of stuff I have but I'm spending half the fights healing (I'm sure I'll learn them)

- Should I be using rampage tickets on Talismans? Weapons only seem to require a couple for crafting and skills and I have a pile I'm sitting on and I don't want to accidentally throw stuff in I need for armor or decos
- Where the hell do I start with Light Bowgun; I don't want to put too many resources into it but I want a decent starting set to get a feel for it and see if I like it and there are sooo many differences from weapon to weapon. Ammo types and reload speeds and deviations
- Should I be using anything below Mega potions at the highest level hunts? Should I actually be sending my palicos to farm up stacks of max potions?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks all! Yes I was getting more rampage tickets than I thought were useful but monster mats always feel in short supply. I'll keep a sub on honey, it's used in all sorts of stuff and normal potions are not cutting it in the harder fights for me.

Tricky posted:

Tickets flow freely once you start doing Rampages, so it's better to toss them in the pot rather than monster mats you might need later.

Nargacuga LBG is pretty great overall, though a lot of the power is locked in the final upgrade where you get rapid fire Pierce 2. All you really need is two Recoil Down gems and you can make a decent enough clown suit out of like... Rhenoplos S head, S. Shell S vest, and then stuff you might already have like Rath S arms, Spio S waist, and Golden pants. Weakness Exploit on a talisman is ideal, but not required. Basically the gimmick is you have enough Weakness Exploit and regular affinity to get up towards 100% crit, some crit boost, and then Pierce Up 3 to really lean in.

Mega Potions are basically all I've needed, though having a max potion or two in case of absolute emergencies might save a cart here and there.

Oof I was worried about that, I'm farming up Narg parts for the final axe to also do 100% crit and I need everything I can get. But yeah things like "the final upgrade gives you rapid pierce 2" seem to not be explained anywhere, the ranged weapons feel like a lot more trial and error than the others where you can read "attack 180 affinity 45%" and go ok this seems good. I'll definitely craft some of the earlier levels and use them on low level hunts with friends to see if I like the feel of it though, I was kind of sold on the whole jumping in the air and shooting bombs thing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah I did that ore farming trick and made 150k (not the 300k you're supposed to make but good enough lol) and it's good to know that money is no longer tight. I still spent most of it almost immediately but I was kinda programmed to use points for stuff over gold whenever possible.

Are points more useful? I use them mostly for the various palico activities but it feels like I have more than I'll ever need

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mightygerm posted:

Holy poo poo, demon flight makes DBs fun as gently caress. It is doubly crazy on huge monsters like the one rampage boss.

Stop giving me reasons to pick up more weapons please!!

I already wanted to pick up Gunlance but I stopped because a friend is maining it. I did craft enough of them to mess around with the blast dash switch art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got bored going for the crithammer build and in the meantime I’m using atlas hammer with bludgeoning 3. I think it’s technically less damage but it hits hard