Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

in England they call eggs "crackers" because you have to crack them. They call fried eggs "boiled crackers" (why?) and boiled eggs "scuba crackers." Hardboiled eggs are "hardscuba crackers" and softboiled eggs are "softscuba crackers." Scrambled eggs buck the trend and go in an even stranger direction: they're just called "whipped breakfast."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Reality Protester posted:

canada had this show

because wars are forbidden.

no way lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
RIP DINOBOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SepcT0KtUM

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

im putting the rubbish in the bin and then putting it in the skip for the lorry

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Bharat, Masr, Zhongguo, Suomi, Hayastan, Deutschland

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Oh and the Swedes pronounce it "ik-iya"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Norway is like a little nature preserve of brands, for some reason. Cif is still Jif, and Surge is called Urge but never left stores. (I think we were the original test matket, even). Unilever heart ice cream have tried and failed, leaving us with local brands and the sporadic import. Also, Batman was Lynvingen (he lightning wing) up to 1987 - about the same period he was a leather patch in Swedish. I wonder if there was a central push to unify the branding or if they both realised it sounded a bit silly at the same time? Maybe it was just around the time the toys started appearing?

Oh, and one of those international ongoing confusions: Kellogs makes two different chocolate cereals. One is light crunchy rice crisps, about the size of raisins. The other are dense crunchy wheat ... scoops, I guess. Here, the former are "coco pops", in a yellow box with a monkey, while the latter are "coco pops", in a green box with a monkey.

The Kellogs page only lists the rice crisps, but they are very rare in stores, while the wheat ones are common. I have no idea.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 26, 2021

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Did anyone actually watch any of the ugly 90's cgi shows? Whenever beast wars would come on when I was a kid I would immediately change the channel because of how ugly everything was

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Revins posted:

Did anyone actually watch any of the ugly 90's cgi shows? Whenever beast wars would come on when I was a kid I would immediately change the channel because of how ugly everything was

Yes, all the time. We loved Beasties and ReBoot. I can't remember if there were any others.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Revins posted:

Yes of course. I think you did childhood wrong, sorry.

Smythe posted:

no way lmfao

Typical warmonger American :rolleyes:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This does a great disservice to Bounty bars, as they are objectively superior to Mounds (it helps that they are milk chocolate, and better-quality chocolate at that, and Mounds are dark chocolate [no dark chocolate hate, I just specifically prefer milk chocolate with coconut])

Kazzah posted:

Oh and the Swedes pronounce it "ik-iya"
As someone who never lived near a big city before taking Swedish in college, and had never heard of the store beforehand, I still pronounce it "Ee Kay Ah," since that was how I was taught to pronounce it and subsequently pronounced it for the entire four semesters of the class, a full ten years before finally seeing one in real life. And since it is technically the correct name for the store, I can just let it be my one incredibly unexpected pedantic pronunciation that makes everyone around me hate me a little more

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Revins posted:

You think that's bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW162T0zfWU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I know in Sweden they used to call him Läderlappen, The Leather Patch, untill some time in the 90s.

Läderlappen is a dumb name, but it's not literally a "leather patch" - it's from a family of bats - Vespertilionidae, läderlappar in Swedish.

https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A4derlappar

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
here in italy, all the words that would normally be in english (tree, chair, bread, truck, etc) are instead in italian. it can be really confusing

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Von Pluring posted:

Läderlappen is a dumb name, but it's not literally a "leather patch" - it's from a family of bats - Vespertilionidae, läderlappar in Swedish.

:aaaaa:
Wow that makes much more sense. Thanks!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

In the UK they call sports "sport" and math "maths", it's sickening.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Smugworth posted:

Around here we call them "Trash Burgers for Dumpster People Who Deserve To Be Ground Up Into More Whopper Meat"

Truth, worst burgers we've ever hard. The only upside to the local BK is they serve beer.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mobby_6kl posted:

Waschbär in german, which is exactly what it sounds like

Tvättbjörn, Pesukarhu

also both mean wash bear. It's the english who are the weird ones.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

no way lmfao

its a canadian show so Beasties is actually the CORRECT name :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Doctor Dogballs posted:

in England they call eggs "crackers" because you have to crack them. They call fried eggs "boiled crackers" (why?) and boiled eggs "scuba crackers." Hardboiled eggs are "hardscuba crackers" and softboiled eggs are "softscuba crackers." Scrambled eggs buck the trend and go in an even stranger direction: they're just called "whipped breakfast."

wtf are "eggs"

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Von Pluring posted:

It means "leather flapper". There was an Old Swedish word that meant "night flapper"; "natbakka", that it seems somehow went to England and replaced the Old English word "hreremus" ("shaky mouse") during the Middle English period, and this word eventually morphed into "bat".

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And just to round that out, Swedish and Norwegian kept the local version of the old English word - it's a "flaggermus" here, a fluttering mouse. I think Swedish spells it fladdermus, and both are also really close to German "Fledermaus" .

(English: ten centuries of trying to separate from their European family.)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
If a business in the UK tells you they have high turnover, they're saying they bring in a lot of revenue, not that their employees quit all the time.

But since you should never do business with anyone in the UK anyway this is not important to know.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In Austria they traditionally have a style of chips that contains the chips themselves (of course), olives, pastrami and American dressing.

They call it loaded chips, but I'd say it's a bit far from it!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what is "American dressing"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Aardvark! posted:

As an American I was totally confused and googled it and I'm still totally confused. Every recipe I found was different and had some weird ingredients.

The only common denominators appear to be ketchup and mayo, but the recipes I saw called for things like whipped cream, orange juice, and worcestershire sauce

So basically really bad and weird Thousand Island

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Redczar posted:

Jungla de cristal (Glass Jungle)
Die Hard

In french it was called Piège de Cristal, the crystal trap.

Reminds me of Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead which became "You must not tell mom the babysitter is eating dandelions by the root"

We have a word for dead and it would've been fine.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jippa posted:

For some reason teenage boys in europe and the us need different names for this.

it's called axe in most of europe

and looking at wikipedia it's actually french in the first place, i mean we had this forever here but i didn't know it originated here

i have learned a lot about axe body spray today

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Revins posted:

I did because I was like 23 when Beast Wars first appeared on television and I was fascinated by it. And by that I mean I watched it when I was stoned.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I liked reboot when I was a kid because hell yeah tv about video games

Haven't seen it in like two decades though I bet it's loving hilarious now lol

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
I'm an American who lived in the UK for 5 years and I have two questions.

1. What the gently caress is a digestive
2. What the gently caress is Foxy Bingo and why is it the one I want

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Revins posted:

I hated beast wars/beasties at first cause I loved the original 80s cartoon and who was this ape guy? Not. MY. Optimus :rant:

But then I caught myself watching the episode where Megatron kamikazes gorilla-Optimus into moon-turned-planet-destroyer and got hooked. Honestly it's a better show than the original 80s cartoon since there's an actual plot and character development. Then Beast Machines came out and ruined my favorite character rat trap.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Aardvark! posted:

cum, op

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gishin posted:

I'm an American who lived in the UK for 5 years and I have two questions.

1. What the gently caress is a digestive
When I was there I just invented the backstory that once upon a time chocolate biscuits must have been sold as some sort of health aid, like you had two choccy biccies after dindin and as a result you had no gastrointestiniccies

And they just never stopped calling them that even after it became obvious it was not true

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Jippa posted:

For some reason teenage boys in europe and the us need different names for this.

Roadman Shaq called it "lynx effect" and I finally understand.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

R.L. Stine posted:

the united kingdom is completely hosed up

WTF? The Spider was a completely different comic.

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Lol i remember my first rauwe bonk camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015