Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Honestly most of these dudes are probably weirdos and have very strong feelings about their bikes. You'd have to look through Rossi's interviews for that answer, I think, but if there is anything besides "because" I would be surprised.

I think this is ritual. There's not way he's not already warmed up and stretched before getting on a bike. While obviously the more powerful the bike and the faster the pace the more physical it is, even a scrub on a 300 on track can be exhausting. This is me from Laguna Seca. I forgot to turn it off, but you can clearly see where I was on the track. When is the last time you did planks, lunges, and squats for 20 minutes straight? Also while going 60mph in 20 pound leather suit. My legs are always super sore the next 2-3 days.

I obviously don’t mean that he does 1 stretch before getting on, but I view this more of a last minute check that nothing is wrong and that his riding position isn’t going to cause a pad to get stuck or other weird thing. I guess I view this is different than a ritual like saying a prayer or doing a cross or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pedrosa and Lorenzo both listened to terrible music right before a race

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i mean, theyre european so isnt that a given?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hopkins did too, I reckon. At least, he looks like a Korn fan, and there's a bit in FASTER where he talks about pre-race psyching himself up by listening to "some good music," and indeed the movie cuts to some of the worst nu-metal I've ever heard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I read through Hopkins’ autobiography over the winter, it’s a goddamn ride.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Slavvy posted:

Jack Miller repeatedly punches himself in the chest before burning his tyre and/or crashing out of a podium
Let's see another shoey, Jack. Go get one and quench your thirst.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It’s race weeeeeeeek!!!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
So, how's marquez going to finish and why is pecco going to win three in a row?

Also, why are aero and ride height devices the worst and should be eliminated forever?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

While those things suck indeed, the worst thing that happened last year was the minimum tire pressure thing they started checking for after a few races.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

While those things suck indeed, the worst thing that happened last year was the minimum tire pressure thing they started checking for after a few races.

Apparently Michelin might be relaxing that? At least Oxley was alluding to those talks happening during testing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Time to curse some peeps

Marc will claw his way to a podium but it'll be in doubt because someone like Martin will trip over their laces in front of him

Bastianini will win the race

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Marc is gonna win the championship and I'll knife fight anyone who disagrees with me.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
My halfassed predictions so we can laugh at how wrong I was come November:

Jorge Martin will have some incredible races but won’t sustain a championship challenge.

Marc will start with some solid top 10s, then he’ll win at COTA and everyone will say he’s back before he’s back down top 5s/10s. He’ll podium or win at his favorite lefty tracks but not really be a championship threat. (That said, if Marc can take the fight to Pecco and play his Marquez Mind Game against him, Pecco would collapse under the pressure.)

We’ll otherwise get the usual mix of random wins from the other guys, and Pecco will win the championship again because nobody else can be consistent enough.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Within the initial fly aways, Marc will aggressively pass someone who then calls him dangerous. Probably an Aprilia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

Within the initial fly aways, Marc will aggressively pass someone who then calls him dangerous. Probably an Aprilia.

:hai:

I honestly think Marc will have a season similar to Rossi 2015 - on the podium like clockwork, the occasional win while pecco wins a bunch but also crashes a bunch while everyone else on a Ducati crashes even more

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Marc will crash and not end the season :(

Alex p2 after bag man

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think we all secretly want Marc to wipe the field, but i think Pecco and the factory GP will be too strong.

I also hope Bastia finally has a solid season.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't want Marc to "wipe the field", I just wanna see what he does in a full season on a completely new to him bike.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A Japanese bike gets a race (not sprint) win

Rider’s Title goes to the last race again

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

My halfassed predictions so we can laugh at how wrong I was come November:

Jorge Martin will have some incredible races but won’t sustain a championship challenge.

Marc will start with some solid top 10s, then he’ll win at COTA and everyone will say he’s back before he’s back down top 5s/10s. He’ll podium or win at his favorite lefty tracks but not really be a championship threat. (That said, if Marc can take the fight to Pecco and play his Marquez Mind Game against him, Pecco would collapse under the pressure.)

We’ll otherwise get the usual mix of random wins from the other guys, and Pecco will win the championship again because nobody else can be consistent enough.

This, but…

Deeters posted:

Definitely this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

harperdc posted:

A Japanese bike gets a race (not sprint) win

This is an ambitious call, I hope it happens though

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

marc crash so what :smith:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

If Rins isn't too crippled and gets used to the Yam quickly i could see him getting an upset win, maybe in a sprint.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anything rins can do, quartararo can do better

I think there's so many fast Ducatis you'd have to have a real unlikely set of circumstances for it to happen

Maybe in the second half if they develop really aggressively? Feels like Honda will sort their bike out faster but all their riders aren't good enough

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It did happen last year too :v:

Which may be proof that there are too many races if we can’t click off the race winners easily.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Feels like Honda will sort their bike out faster but all their riders aren't good enough

i really hope my man Zarco will prove you wrong. he most likely wont, but hes the one im rooting for most this year

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zarco pulling off a second career renaissance would be fucken magical yeah

I often wonder what could've been if he'd been given the factory Yamaha seat instead of binales

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It we're keeping this thread it should say 2024 :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I changed it, but feel free to start a new one or keep this one. Either way.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Two news items from MotoMatters today:

Streaming:
Dorna has signed a new broadcasting deal with TNT Sports, a subsidiary of the Warner Brothers/Discovery Network organization, for the MotoGP championship for the US. The deal will see every sprint race and every Sunday grand prix race broadcast via the truTV and Max's B/R Sports Add-On streaming channels.

As in most territories, this puts MotoGP behind a paywall. However, being on one of the largest platforms in the US, shared with other large sports such as Major League Baseball, NHL, and the NBA, it should get more exposure.

Tire Pressure:
The tire pressure regulations and penalties have been adjusted for the 2024 MotoGP season. After discussions between Michelin, Dorna, the teams and the manufacturers, the minimum pressure for the front tire has been reduced from 1.88 bar to 1.8 bar. Only the front tire pressure has been reduced, the minimum pressure for the rear tire remaining at 1.68 bar.

However, to ensure the integrity of the front tire, the minimum duration for which the pressure has to remain above the minimum pressure has been increased from half to 60% of the distance of the full Sunday grand prix. The minimum distance for the sprint race remains 30% of race distance.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Number of crashes from too low a pressure: zero

Number of crashes from too high a pressure: five thousand

Help me my championship is struggling

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

any word on if freddie spencer is going anywhere? he sucks out loud and a semi sentient rock would be a better chief steward

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I guess I have to give dorna money for the year sigh

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

impressive that Dorna found a way to make that theme music sound even more obnoxious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cringe must rise in proportion to the speed of the bikes

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

it is funny that like two years ago I would've said Dorna by far have the best seperate option subscription package of pretty much any sport outside of maybe baseball (ignoring blackouts) and they've just intentionally self immolated that because F1 is pulling a US audience now so the app has to be so stupidly streamlined a lobotomy patient can click through the current race and the pre race build up is like a WWE event.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Boco_T posted:

Two news items from MotoMatters today:

Streaming:
Dorna has signed a new broadcasting deal with TNT Sports, a subsidiary of the Warner Brothers/Discovery Network organization, for the MotoGP championship for the US. The deal will see every sprint race and every Sunday grand prix race broadcast via the truTV and Max's B/R Sports Add-On streaming channels.

Yeah I noticed this last week and just tried it out. Not the same commentators as the MotoGP app (Sky TV?) which kind of annoys me. It's available for free for now (if you have a subscription) but will be $10/month extra. Might just pay the extra $5/month for the MotoGP subscription since it breaks the broadcast out by class versus a 3 hour video.

Why can't Michelin just give tire pressure guidance and let the teams decide from themselves? I don't get it. Maybe you can implement a point system for tire failures deemed from running to low of pressure or something but otherwise this seems like part of the sport

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I noticed this last week and just tried it out. Not the same commentators as the MotoGP app (Sky TV?) which kind of annoys me. It's available for free for now (if you have a subscription) but will be $10/month extra. Might just pay the extra $5/month for the MotoGP subscription since it breaks the broadcast out by class versus a 3 hour video.

Why can't Michelin just give tire pressure guidance and let the teams decide from themselves? I don't get it. Maybe you can implement a point system for tire failures deemed from running to low of pressure or something but otherwise this seems like part of the sport

Michelin thinks their front tire will disintegrate and kill riders instantly if it’s run at too low a pressure for one lap too long. They really think it’s a major safety issue beyond “hey it’s gonna degrade and wear out faster.” I get why they’d be concerned (the PR from a tire failing catastrophically and hurting someone would be way worse than the penalty stuff) but this system still sucks.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Being the sole tire supplier is a thankless task and the vibe I get is that Michelin would very much not like to have one over their tires exploding on live television and the average Joe is just going to say its the riders fault when they crash out because the front tire pressure is too high. Pretty understandable in my opinion. What should've been done is that they homologate wheel rims and pressure valves to avoid the teams loving with them and then just gone off of starting pressure with like 5 minutes to go on the grid or something. The convoluted mess that we got instead is entirely on Dorna and the manufacturer's inflexibility to just push through testing a proper front tire or come up with any other sane solution while they control the rules and I've got very little sympathy for them to that end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dorna are the ultimate cause of the tyre stuff. Michelin is in a tough spot because a few years ago, all the manufacturers and riders started screeching about the front tyre changing mid-season. So Michelin was told to freeze the front tire until (iirc) 2025. Then aero and squatting devices started drastically increasing front tyre load well beyond what it was designed for and dorna get to shrug and do nothing because the manufacturers won't agree to regulate themselves.