Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Christian vs Frankie Kazarian. I love AEW opening with a hot match. I love AEW making Christian feel like a big deal. I low key love that Frankie Kazarian is so good that Frankie Kazarian is their go to guy for if they want to show just how good a wrestler is. If he can hang with Kaz, he's got something. Nice aggressive technical start. I quite like Christian falling from the shoulder block into a cover. While I don't know if you'd call it workrate per se, I do appreciate how much heart and realism Christian is putting into every move. He looks like a man in a fight. This is a nicely wrestled veteran match with a lot of technical skill involved, and Christian has put himself out there in terms of taking risks. The missed frog splash looked great. And his selling is very good indeed. I bit briefly on the pin after the legdrop precisely because Christian was selling like a dead man. He does a lot of little detailed things well, like hitting the guy trying to superplex him, grabbing onto the rope, that kind of thing. And we get a win with the Killswitch. That was a very very solid wrestling match. If this was Christian wanting to put down his calling card as "can wrestle a hell of a solid 20 minute match" (and it was) then mission accomplished I guess.

Darby package. It was fine.

Arcade Anarchy is the main event? Okay, I can roll with that.

Jade works much better in video packages than she does in live interviews. And she's getting better at them too. But this is the same thing we've seen before.

2) QT Marshall vs Cody Rhodes. I would have preferred QT not getting an entrance to be subtext rather than text, but it's a nice touch anyway. Unsanctioned match? Uh... okay. It feels like Cody is clowning on QT, and the frustration is percolating through, which is nice. QT working the injured arm works well. And then... hitting Arn? What? Oh, and I like this. Nightmare factory guys attacking the trainers. And finally killing Lee Johnson. Dustin has bladed and QT rubs his blood on Solow before piledriving Rhodes on the steps. Marshall sitting on the steps like a throne. Enjoying Ogogo so far. Velvet makes the save. All very good, but... there are Nightmare Factory kids filling the audience, why haven't they intervened?

Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky promo. Their voices are a bit too similar. but I'm fine with this for 2 reasons: 1) it gives Sky something to do 2) it gives Page something to do. Team Ego is fine by me.

Velvet gets one line of an interview out before Jade kicks her in the stomach. OK, cool.

3) Moxley vs Cezar Bononi. Short match but some nicely hard hitting bits. I've felt like Bononi has suffered in the past from looking just a little slow, like he's wrestling underwater, but here he's clearly talked to Mox and taken the attitude of "let's hit each other as hard as we can". JD Drake walloping Mox is great, give me that. It's not a classic match, but Bononi looks better here than he has previously. Mox has his work boots on to make Bononi look good, which again I think is a kindness. Backpack sleeper looked great. This was a good Cezar Bononi Match, and that's a weird thing to type, but Excalibur saying "overcoming the odds" is weird.

Team Taz promo. Hook in a wifebeater. Cage sulking. Hook just smiling while thinking about murdering someone.

Pinnacle package. MJF has a personal stylist and an interior decorator. And the Inner Circle are hiding in the bathroom. Nice. Ooh, Tully taking his LUMPS here! Props to Spears for taking that GTS from Sammy, that looked sick. This feels like a miniature cinematic match. Cash Wheeler in the ice bath. Santana with a bloody vest is fantastic. MJF gets a swirly! Jesus, they go all in on this one. And Chekov's Bubbly gets used.

Bucks interview, Callis interrupts and singles out Matt. poo poo, I like this a lot. He's not got bravado like he has when he's talking to both Bucks, he's got a personal connection. We're now exactly three years since Lovers / Bucks at Strong Style Evolved.

4) Kenny and Good Bros vs LUCHA BROS MEXI KINGS WITH THEIR BUD LAREDO, MEET YOU IN THE RING. Laredo gets bowling balled still in his ring jacket, and we're off to the races. Wild fast nonsense from the start. While he's not the most agile man on the planet I do love seeing Gallows just ragdoll Laredo around the place. I don't know if this is as good at the Lucha match last week, but it's entirely respectable. Loved the triple splash. Penta hot tag with a series of sling blades and a Tanahashi call on commentary. Absolutely loved the top rope lucha chain on Karl Anderson, just beautiful spots. The match is popcorn, but it's freshly popped and buttery as hell. Very kinetic match with great choreography from person to person in the chain offense. Laredo blocking a V-Trigger was awesome. But inevitably the one winged angel finishes things off. Hell of a match, guys.

And then Mox comes out... with the Bucks? Are we just playing Winner Stays On trios?

Britt Baker package. "It's like it didn't even happen" is a great line.

5) Shida and Tay vs Nyla and the Bunny. Crew entrance, with Matt bringing out all his clients. Love Shida and Tay in matching Gis. Love Dark Order out there to counter Matt's clients. This feels like an important match that's connected to the rest of what AEW is doing rather than happening in a vacuum. Weird how you can just do that. Couple of awkward bits with Allie near the start but this is fun. Nicely put together tag in the ring and absolute chaos on the outside. Shida just straight murders Nyla a couple of times and we get splashes to the outside before the Bunny cheats her way to a win. This was chaotic storytelling fun and Tay looks FURIOUS.

JD DRAKE GETS A TNT TITLE MATCH

Next week looks lit as gently caress.

Jurassic Express promo is fun. Jungle Boy learned how to talk!

6) Arcade Anarchy! They've done a good job with the plundah not just being arcade machines. Where Is My Mind continues to be perfect for Orange Cassidy. Hard hitting nonsense from the start. Kip getting shoved through the whack a mole and hit with the mallet is great. And Miro is just wandering around this silly comedy match environment and beating the gently caress out of people. We got an air hockey table that someone is definitely going through at some point. gently caress. That Cassidy impact with the wedged chair was absolutely insane, and Miro just looks like he's having the best time ever. Excalibur just made a loving Darkplace reference on commentary. What the gently caress is even happening. Yeah, if I were in a match with Miro I'd trap him under all the furniture before attempting a pin too. Props to Sabian, he has a hot offensive run too. Oh god that bear is going to be full of thumbtacks. No, LEGO! SHUNMA KATSUMATA JUST WOKE UP ANGRY AND HE DOESN'T KNOW WHY! Sit out lego powerbomb looks awesome. Penelope attacks the ref then low blows OC. KRIS STAT! MOTHERFUCKING KRIS STAT! She's back and powerbombs Penelope through the air hockey table. Holy cripes! Miro shotputs Cassidy across the floor then chairs him up. There are no words for how good Miro looks here. Oh poo poo. Oh gently caress. MINIVAN. MINIVAN! BROKEN TITTY STATUS: HEALED! The amount of lore in this dumb loving arcade match is insane. And then Miro after beating up Trent waves to Sue. I'm so happy. Chuck powerslams Kip off the stage for the pin. This was ridiculous and I loved it and this needs to be the end of this feud. Such a feel good ending.

If you can't feel good about the ending of this show then you hate wrestling. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

AEW made me care more about a minivan than WWE made me care about their world titles.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lid posted:

Excalibur just dropping Garth Merenghi quotes during the main event because he is a goon.

"Britt's reaching out to Reba for help, but she's like a candle in the wind... unreliable!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You know, I sometimes hear people disparage AEW by calling it All Friends Wrestling, and I've never understood it.

Who wouldn't want to work for a company full of people they like?

Like, it they were only hiring people based on being friends, that would be a problem, but what seems to happen is that people join the company, have a positive time, and make friends there.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, maybe nws that link.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The QT storyline increases the chance of Aaron Solow getting matches on TV. Therefore I am in favour of it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The Last Call posted:

Nightmare Family Wolfpack
Current Members
Aaron Solow
Anthony Ogogo
Nick Comoroto
QT Marshall

QT isn't long for this stable. His name doesn't end with an -o sound.

Crapple! posted:

They really screwed up calling it the Death Triangle. They can't add any more members.

If you think that PAC doesn't have the mental fortitude to make a six sided triangle...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

Why don't people like good ol' JR in AEW?

Speaking for myself, part of is is that he's got (and has expressed) some outdated views about women and other subjects. Part of it is that sometimes he gats crotchaty to the point of it damaging the broadcast. And part of it is just that he's getting older and isn't really in the shape to drive a wrestling broadcast any more.

He's been better the past few weeks, but there was some time where I just found him embarrassing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ogogo was the first person they signed to a developmental deal, back even before Double Or Nothing 2019. I think he's the first person that AEW as a company have trained from scratch under contract.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dark Elevation man event could be fun:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1377655959032627205

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm wondering whether Young Dustin ripping open the bunny and scattering lego across the ring (when I for one expected thumbtacks) was a reverse shout out to the DDT Barbed Wire Coffin match where Shunma Katsumata (who often throws lego across the ring) emptied out a bucket of thumbtacks.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

So is Sammy back in IC at this point or do we still get a waffling arc or story?

It feels like he's back in, which is kinda sad because I was hopeful him leaving was the start of his singles push :(

I need Sammy in the ring WAY more dammit.

Sammy is one of the Inner Circle's three workrate guys. I'd expect him to be shouldering most of the in-ring that isn't specifically tag oriented.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm fine with Sky and Page having a starter feud against talented lower card guys. They can use a win against them to climb the rankings. As long as they're rising rather than treading water I think it looks great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I agree, you should have.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

They did a "best moments from Arcade Anarchy" video and I showed it to my partner because she loves Best Friends, and the bastards didn't even include Stat's return in the video. RUDE.

They gave Kris her own video because love and friendship are real and powerful. https://youtu.be/dnnyzBPViGs

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I would also like to extrapolate the rating into a theory based on my guesses.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I am a little surprised with how many people here and elsewhere seem to have taken against the perfectly decent workhorse match between Christian and Kazarian.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Wazzu posted:

Speaking of, it's unlikely, but I would like if this week advanced the Tay-Dark Order plot, because they came out to support, but didn't stay and boy could she have used numbers to neutralise outside interference.

Dark Order were at ringside the whole length of the match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Penta’s samurai gear is the coolest ring gear of all time

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

AEW has advanced beyond the need for Zichael Dice.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

new Elevation matches:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1377955185755049987

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1377953245369360386

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I wouldn't mind seeing Best Friends vs The Acclaimed in some form or another once Bowens gets back.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

oh yeah, Max would definitely pick a fight with OC

They would actually be the right team to do the "response rap" gimmick with in a way that SCU weren't. Orange gets the mic and just lets the beat play without saying anything.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Diamante is good and could easily run a story on her own or become part of a faction. She doesn't need to be handcuffed to a drama addict.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Tony was angling to sell AEW to WWE after the whooping they just got on Wednesday

Your gimmick is very boring.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hey, let's do another five to ten pages where some people say they liked the match and other people counter by saying they didn't.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The duality of a scoopsgal

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Saul Goode posted:

How good was the cinematic beatdown of the Pinnacle. The only strange thing was that at one point I swear Tully was just sitting down watching his crew get pummelled, but then it cut back to him and he got wrecked. Using cinematic footage like this is such a great idea.

I really loved it.

My favourite part was that they used this for a story beat, not for the whole story. This was a battle, a beautifully rendered battle, and it makes you want to see the rest of the war.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cavauro posted:

i didn't watch the match and don't want to see it, but would like to weigh in on what it did for the show and for Christian Cage as a commodity moving forward. Some good, some bad. he should be pivoted i think into a feud with Brian cage over who has the sole rights to use their shared name, "ian"

I will welcome them to the brotherhood of Ians.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Is Ian short for anything? Like if you meet a guy named Ian, is that just his full name?

It's the Scottish version of John.

Or in some cases it's short for Librarian.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Colt got his mom to write a diss track on Max Caster. https://youtu.be/gLq7NhZ2gZk

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I don't have a problem with a newly formed heel pair starting low and fighting their way up. If their complaint is that they don't get the opportunities they think they deserve it's best to show them dominating at a low level so they get noticed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

no sells an arm breaker by wearing a sling for weeks and having that arm be an obvious and exploited weak spot in his next match. Sure.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flatluigi posted:

i wish i could see dynamite on catchup or something so i can go back and see if that match vs penta was a good, competitive one like i'm remembering and people are just bein shits to make a point, or if my memory is failing me harder and harder these days. i certainly remember aew's tag stuff as being a good thing and not something to get 'banished' to, at least

It was a pretty good match and got a bunch of HM nominations. Penta looked strong in it, Cody squeaked out a win, and we got loads of pictures of Penta in a green bowler hat.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

It gives me no pleasure to report that Dustin has decided to become the joker.
https://twitter.com/dustinrhodes/status/1378542125932019712

He's been talking about the character of "The Unnatural Dustin Rhodes" for a while. I'm OK with him changing up the gimmick.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My brain has retrained itself so when I see 125 new posts in the AEW thread I no longer think "oh wow, I wonder what happened" but "oh god, what are we arguing about now?"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

1. Bucks / Cowboy Bebop
2. Baker / Rosa lights out
3. Best Friends / Proud & Powerful
4. Omega / PAC
5. Emi Sakura, Maki Itoh & VENY / Hikaru Shida, Mei Suruga & Rin Kadokura

EDIT: just to say also that Mox / Omega in the barbed wire match COULD have been on here. Had the ending worked it would have been nearly perfect. But it didn't, so it's not.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 4, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

worst AEW matches were Matt Hardy smacking his face off the concrete and the one where Dustin Rhodes kissed Hager's wife

Dustin one was worse cos that was planned

Which makes it even weirder that one of the best matches they ever did was on the same card.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

You know, for all we talk about the Hardy / Sammy feud being cursed, three of those are matches with him and Sammy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

gh0stpinballa posted:

One thing that concerns me is, well WCW crashed and burned because the marquee talent was given too much creative freedom and they killed the product. Now I'm not saying WWEs Classic Hollywood studio style production line control freakery is good, clearly it is dreadful, but surely there is a balance right? So I just wonder, does AEW have a booker who is strong enough to say no every so often to the big personalities? Just curious about that side of things.

Tony Khan is the booker, and he's done a pretty good job of curtailing the impulses of talent in my opinion.