Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

a major league baseball player should be able to handle having another player yell at him that he is a motherfucker even if that is rude without anyone trying to physically fight him, is my opinion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
May has UCL damage in his elbow.

:rip:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Joc is back from the IL and... leading off tonight. Against the Dodgers. Oh and Bryant is playing CF for some reason.

Ross is legit just flinging poo poo at the wall lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

"for some reason" being that our CF was carted off the field last night

but yeah, probably should be Marisnick especially since he's been mashing. Who knows. not Ross

That's my point yeah, I'd play Marisnick or Heyward in CF over Bryant. But whatever I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hell yeah gimmie that sweet chaos doubleheader tomorrow.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Luis Robert has a Grade 3 hip flexor strain and is going to miss 12-16 weeks

Fucks sake, I just want to watch a group of young, fun, good baseball players hit the poo poo out of baseballs. :smith:

I guess the silver lining is that TLR is apparently already losing the clubhouse so maybe the Sox sucking more will foster enough discontent to full on mutiny his piece of poo poo rear end out of the org.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FYI that's like $40, A's tickets remain the best bargain in baseball. gently caress I kinda wanna go to an A's game and I see they play the Angels at home later this month. I'm two weeks past my second shot; just wanna recline down the third base line with a big rear end pretzel and loving gallon of whatever lovely beer they've got at O.Co these days watching Chapman make absolutely sparking plays and Trout hit some majestic bombs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reyes rules, how the gently caress do you throw a 105MPH sinker? I don't know but it's cool as hell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am thinking of Hicks, yes. Morning coffee hasn't quite overtaken the hangover yet. :downs:

I'm rooting for Reyes as well though, he's got all the stuff in the world but has been derailed by injuries over and over which always sucks to see. Hope he can string together a couple healthy seasons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Michael_Cerami/status/1389680613519679494

lmao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The last place Cubs hung a four spot on Kershaw, tying his career record for runs given up in the first and handing him the shortest regular season start of his career. Baseball is weird.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah seven games is ridiculous, he was being an rear end but it's not like he was out there throwing punches.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spoeank posted:

The A's have the best record in baseball, and a negative run differential

Baseball rules

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The assassination of the Spoeank by the coward Hand Knit.

In actual news the Cubs have now called up three actual pitching prospects, and they've looked... good? Like I don't think any of 'em are gonna win the Cy but Alzolay looks like he's turning into a legit MOR guy, Steele has been mostly excellent in relief, Thompson looks like solid BOR option despite only having 160 minor league IP under his belt. I can't remember the last time the Cubs brought up a wave of their own pitching prospects and they didn't immediately poo poo the bed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs release Brandon Workman, which is the correct call because he sucked molten rear end. I fully expect him to re-up immediately with a division rival and post a 1.00 ERA the rest of the way.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Posted in the GDT but nobody goes there on a Wednesday afternoon. LaRussa makes a double switch in the bottom of the ninth and does it so that the pitcher is the runner on second for the top of 10, and he proceeds to make a base running error. The game has definitely passed this guy by.

You didn't even mention the best bit, which is that there's a specific exception carved out in the rule that allows you to place somebody else on 2B if it would otherwise be the pitcher... but LaRussa didn't know that either, and I guess none of his coaches bothered to tell him.

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1390033735458902021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/1390037740855742464

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Literally Matt Duffy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It kinda feels like we've crossed the metaphorical event horizon of pitching just being way, way, WAY more dominant than hitting. We've had what, three loving no-hitters already just a month into the season? Four if you count Bumgarner's 7 inning CG no hitter. Hitters are getting flexed on so hard I'm actually starting to come around on moving back or lowering the mound.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah if anything I could see St. Louis picking Pujols up on the league minimum and giving him a handful of PH PA's - can't exactly hit any worse than Carpenter is right now so it's not even like they're burning a roster spot - so he can retire with them.

What will be interesting is that part of Pujols' deal was that he couldn't affiliate himself with any MLB team besides the Angels for a good number of years after his contract expired, but that is presumably waived if he's released.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao dude is 40+ and has been completely washed for years, and he's crying about playing time? You're already a lock for the hall buddy, just take your millions and cool it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/angels-release-albert-pujols.html

quote:

Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times reports that Pujols was unhappy not only with the fact that he was benched against Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough last night — against whom he is 6-for-9 with a pair of homers in his career — but that the decision to sit him was made by the front office rather than by manager Joe Maddon.

V: lmao FO literally rang Joe up and told him to stop fuckin' running Pujols out there. I am much less critical of him wanting out now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

This owns but I'd just also like to point out that this is the exact same twitter account from the tweet mcmagic posted a few weeks back calling Gleyber bush league for not having any hustle running to first. I guess they changed their mind pretty quickly lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also shoutout to the Astros pitcher who just stood on the mound like a deer in the headlights instead of breaking for home as soon as he saw the catcher move up the 3B line. They teach that poo poo in little league.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: The Astros have :qq:'d to MLB about opposing fans being too mean to them

https://twitter.com/JimmyTraina/status/1389933182741532687

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm not saying an apology solves everything, but if the players had shown even a reasonable amount of remorse or humility over the situation I'd honestly probably be over it right now. What pissed me off, and what continues to piss me off, is their victim complex and insistence that they actually did nothing wrong, and we're all just a bunch of snowflakes for getting angry.

Trump did not invent the tactic by a long stretch, but he certainly crystalized in the mainstream conciseness that if you just refuse to ever except fault and lie incessantly, eventually people give up and move on. The Astros followed that playbook to a tee: both with the Osuna signing and the sign stealing: and it definitely seems like this recent complaint of their's is coming from their frustration that the playbook is not working this time and fans are still letting them have it. MLB certainly seemed to think the playbook would work when they barely slapped the Astros on the wrist and declared justice served, and sports media tried really goddamn hard to paint the Astros as scrappy underdogs last year, but the fans just aren't having it and MLB/the Astros are pissed. They want to move on and pretend nothing happened, but no dice so far and hopefully no dice for a looooong time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ihatepants posted:

Lol one of this week's Topps Now moments in MLB The Show is to recreate the event by using Anthony Rizzo to strike out Freddie Freeman

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1387589515804545028?s=20

Well I know what I'm doing when I get home from work tonight lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Grimm's 2015-2016 numbers are mostly a mirage because they don't tell the story of how many times he'd get run out in a dirty inning and immediately give up all of his inherited runs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Wade Miley just threw the fourth no hitter of the year. We're seven days into May and there have been four fuckin' no hitters. Five if you count Bumgarner's 7 IP CG.

poo poo is bonkers.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheFlyingLlama posted:

reliever rizzo is a beast

I just got this and lol. Kinda debating throwing him onto my DD squad for a couple games even though I know he'll get hosed.

Also speaking of Rizzo, I think that strikeout broke Freeman:

https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1390677580940988421

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

That fits, because Boog is terrible. I know the public explanation has always been that "Len left because his heart is in radio and he really wants to call a World Series," but I can't help but feeling that Len Kasper left because the Sinclair assholes just lowballed him on an extension, or they ordered him to cut down on criticizing the team, or some combination of both.

My guess is that he was sick of the rotation of dipshits Marquee insists on trying out to make the three man booth work. I wouldn't want to have to deal with Grace or Dempster either.

Also it was only after Len left that Marquee finally dropped the insistence that both the announcers wear full suits in the booth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you're a speedy dude who is good at bunting and it's late in a no-no, you are absolutely within your rights to bunt to try to get on base. Your job is not to conform to honorable baseball bushido, it's to get on base and score runs for your fuckin' team so you can win.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's doubly dumb because I just cannot see a CBA the union agrees to that still allows for service time manipulation. Feels like it's become such a central issue that the players will risk a lockout over it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My plans to move out of the area are coming just in time lol.

For real though the whole situation is a massive clusterfuck between the city of Oakland, Alameda County, the A's, MLB, and private development interests. Not to mention at the end of the day Oakland just doesn't have the money to meet the level of public funding the A's are looking for. Maybe the a genuine threat of moving will get something moving but I wouldn't put money on it. :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Didn't the Giants block a lot of the good proposed sites as well

There was a pretty concrete plan to relocate the A's to San Jose, but that is official Giants territory and they refused to sceede it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Moderna and Pfizer are both ~97% effective at preventing hospitalizations from COVID complications, J&J something like 94%, IIRC. So yeah you can still get it and it can still lay you out, but for the vast majority the vaccine will spare you the absolute worst of it.

And hey speaking of COVID:

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1392215454744150020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Corbin Burns sets the new all time record for number of strikeouts before walking a single batter to start the season, and then because of course, pretty much immediately gives up his first walk of the season lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1392940655396204552?s=19

Gleyber has Covid despite being vaccinated and being infected last year.

That sucks but is also entirely possible, with any luck the vaccine will spare him the worst of the possible symptoms.

Kirios posted:

I just remembered mcmagic saying Miguel Andujar would be an upgrade over what the Yankees have put out at left field this year.

He went 0-9 before going back to AAA, lol. He's cooked.

Andujar slashed .297/.328/.527, good for a 129 wRC+ over 600 AB's in 2018 and he was still only worth 2.8 WAR because his defense was just that abysmal. A hell of a feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1392884415790043139