Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

:laffo:

robot umps when?

Robot umps won't stop deliberate lovely calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/gcannady/status/898301613709737985

Apr 7, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, but it's not like he's ever been suspended for 20 games for blindsiding Oskar Sundqvist's head during a pre-season game. I guess these days that'd only get him fined 5k.

Also, didn't Wilson only get the fine for punching Buchnevich and not actually get anything for suplexing Panarin? To bring this back to baseball, I guess he's got that child-groomer Roger Clemens mojo of being able to throw a bat at someone he beaned and not get in any real trouble for it.

It isn't really useful to compare the sports, the problem is that the NHL management is full of fat old Canadian guys who grew up on leaded gasoline and love brain injuries.

Apr 7, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Either that or I wake up as a mod

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Apr 7, 2003

More like Brandon Notworkingman

Apr 7, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Posted in the GDT but nobody goes there on a Wednesday afternoon. LaRussa makes a double switch in the bottom of the ninth and does it so that the pitcher is the runner on second for the top of 10, and he proceeds to make a base running error. The game has definitely passed this guy by.

Apr 7, 2003

Poque posted:

shoulda pitched better imo

Apr 7, 2003

I think all the rules that hurt my team are bad and dumb, and all the rules that help my team are very good.

Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

WAR doesn't take into account that Ohtani is only taking up 1 roster spot for both a pitcher and position player correct?

Pitchers *are* a position player, the position is even '1' in the usual scheme for fielding notation!

Apr 7, 2003

Nothing funnier than this thread being tied up for tens of pages on a pitcher swinging a bat and how cool it is, while somehow also thinking the DH is a good rule.

Apr 7, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Ohtani would have far fewer at-bats without the DH rule, once again proving its superiority.

There's nothing in the NL rules keeping teams from sticking a pitcher out in left field on days he isn't pitching.

Apr 7, 2003

Kirios posted:

Wow a bad take by PFC now I've seen it all.

Just think, without the dumb DH rule you can watch pitchers bat all the time.

Apr 7, 2003

seiferguy posted:

National league pitchers are hitting .103./139/.135. Real fuckin exciting baseball right there!!!

Agreed.

Some people watch baseball for more than just home run derby.

Apr 7, 2003

Congratulations to Joe West on extracting every calorie possible from 5,376 per diem allowances.

Apr 7, 2003

Sloppy Joe West, dumb and biased, making bad umpiring decisions! Baseball is very unpopular now! Sad!

Apr 7, 2003

I dunno about Mike Shildt but it was funny when Metheny did an interview with Pittsburgh sports media about how he has such bad brain damage from concussions that sometimes he’ll be pumping gas in his truck and forget why he’s out, and the Cardinals fired him three days later.

Apr 7, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

i didn't think pittsburgh was that bad until they got effortlessly shut down by trevor "the human rbi" williams

The Pirates brain trust is convinced they can tank to win despite the fact that tanking 1993-2012 got them exactly one playoff series.

Apr 7, 2003

Guaranteed Rate Field kinda sucks, I stayed down in that part of Chicago in 2017 and used the 35th & Sox station to get downtown and it was just entirely soulless. A trash ballpark. Just garbage.

Apr 7, 2003

Poque posted:

That play should get absolutely every pirates coach fired mid-game, lmao

The past two weeks of Pirates baseball have been the most embarrassing I’ve seen in my life and I was a Phillies fan in the eighties and nineties.

Apr 7, 2003

The Pirates aren’t “rebuilding,” this is just their natural state. Any playoff appearances are accidental.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife could have made this play

Apr 7, 2003

Apr 7, 2003

Will Craig is a garbage bag toilet player who's only there because the entire 1B depth chart is injured, but no one else covering 1B when he decides to be a dumbass is inexcusable.

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/pghsportsdad69/status/1398052069412585472

Apr 7, 2003

I don't know a whole lot about what the Yankees are doing, since they aren't in a real baseball league.

Apr 7, 2003

I wish the Yankees the best when promotion/relegation comes to baseball and they leave the second tier.

Apr 7, 2003

They may have a hard time with working around the major league "pitcher bats" rule, but I have faith in the richest sports team in North America to manage.

Apr 7, 2003

Once promotion and relegation becomes a thing in Major League Baseball, and once the Yankees are promoted to the NL, hopefully they'll find they can't rely on trash like LeMaheiu to pad out their batting order and baseball in Long Island may be interesting again.

Apr 7, 2003

In the future world of promotion and relegation, Yankees fans will come out not to watch the Yankees win, but to yell about what sections have beer.

Apr 7, 2003

Imagining the Yankees getting promoted to the NL and immediately filing grievances against every team without a short right field porch

Apr 7, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao
https://twitter.com/FanSided/status/1398047083722989574?s=20

the bag hasn't moved in 140 years. our guy has to know the rule.

I mean, that's kind of his job

Apr 7, 2003

That's the face of a man who has 750ml of gin for breakfast every day

Apr 7, 2003

Fate Accomplice posted:

yankees can't stop cheating

Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

Should've just leaned into and said he was caught up in Baez eyes and was physically drawn to him despite knowing in his head he should just go to 1st.

Former catcher and color guy Michael McKenry said that everyone on the team should just collectively black out and pretend it never happened

Apr 7, 2003

elentar posted:

it's getting so hard to stick with this sport, everything just turns to ashes

That's every sport and everything, our culture celebrates and excuses this poo poo and the only way it'll be excised is starting with children at the lowest levels.

"Punch women if you don't get what you want from them" isn't a baseball problem, it's a societal problem.

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Very smart to beat up your wife in front of cops when you have a 65 million dollar contract to lose.

Kinda wild how people who are at a high risk of concussions keep doing stupid poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

He's had concussions? Are baseball players really at high risk of concussions?

More at risk than those of us who post all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

This is in part what set things off at the 10 cent beer night a week later in Cleveland. Cleveland fans still pissed off + copious amount of cheap rear end beer.

Edit - Fights in the 70s were nuts. Check the boxscore for this game.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX197405290.shtml
Nobody even ejected.

Ah, the Years of Lead (brains)