Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
carla, of BA test kitchen fame, has a cookbook and has been doing youtube videos of things from it.

the book is in the mail for me to enjoy and here his her riff on a tofu stir fry with green beans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5S2Zz0sDH4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

based on your recipe, i just make more dough. my dough balls are 300 - 350 grams each. if I want to max out the 15" stone it takes about 450 grams. I let it rise on the counter a few hours and just stretch it in one go. "Punching down" isn't necessary for pizza imo. if I cold ferment i take them out of the fridge 30 - 60 mins beforehand so they can warm to room temp first.

Yeah you were absolutely on the money, the doughballs I was trying to work with were too small. I made 400g one and was able to make a much bigger pizza.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Nice, glad you had a successful za

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
in a normal oven you can also put some parchment paper under the dough to keep it stretched out for a thinner crust

doesnt apply in a wood fire oven where the paper will turn to char instantly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

parchment paper

even not specifically in the pizza domain, folks, if you care about cooking at all, i beg you, start using parchment paper. i use it CONSTANTLY, it's the loving best stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

in a normal oven you can also put some parchment paper under the dough to keep it stretched out for a thinner crust

doesnt apply in a wood fire oven where the paper will turn to char instantly

yum

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use parchment instead of a peel and yoink it out after 2 or 3 mins

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

what do you do for the next 7 minutes needed to cook a pizza tho? :salt:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

even not specifically in the pizza domain, folks, if you care about cooking at all, i beg you, start using parchment paper. i use it CONSTANTLY, it's the loving best stuff
parchment rules. i did pick up some nonstick aluminum foil recently which is also pretty handy, but i have to wonder what if any insane industrial chemicals are in its treatment. otoh oven bacon has never been easier with that and a range with an airfry setting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
package came in from Chinatown

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

package came in from Chinatown

now that's what i'm wokkin' about

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

what do you do for the next 7 minutes needed to cook a pizza tho? :salt:

Put it closer to the broiler.

The next 7 minutes are for burning your mouth.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

every time i see one of those ooni ovens i want to buy one, and also live in a time where i could have friend over to enjoy pizza with.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Jonny 290 posted:

i personally like the silicon sheets you can get to replace parchment paper, pretty non-stick and reusable and easy to clean in the dishwasher

(not for pizzas cos i use a 500C pizza oven and then parchment aint necessary and silicon will melt, but great for normal oven cooking)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

ultravoices posted:

every time i see one of those ooni ovens i want to buy one, and also live in a time where i could have friend over to enjoy pizza with.

i got one mid-2020 and it loving owns. upside is you can make amazing pizza at home and its really easy. downside is you're now a pizza snob because when you go to the best neapolitan pizza joint in your town you'll be a bit disappointed, "eh i could do same/better". (this isn't much of a downside)

(if you get one gas is more convenient than wood; bigger is also better, i have the koda 16", handy to have the extra space)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i personally like the silicon sheets you can get to replace parchment paper

silicone

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i use a 500C pizza oven and then parchment aint necessary and silicon will melt

not until 1400C

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

silicone

not until 1400C

silicone mats should not be used over 450f

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

yah, ya gotta yoink it or it kinda steams the crust and fucks up your pizza

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

is glad nonstick aluminum foil safe to cook on. how

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ultravoices posted:

this is correct. we use silpats and, now that these mats are common, the no-name knockoffs. using them at 500 is gonna be a bad time. ms jones did that once. exactly once.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ultravoices posted:

Hey I have used one of those. Some friends host an weekly event creatively named “Pizza Sunday”.

Name is pretty self explanatory but on Sunday they provide dough and basics and you bring toppings and cook your own pizza. In the before times it was usually 5-6 people making pizzas but sometimes like 10 people trying to make pizzas.

the parchment paper pizza i posted earlier was in a normal oven at 500°F on a pizza stone for 7 minutes. parchment makes it slide off the peel and helps keep the dough flat and stretched thin. a first time pizza sunday person can make an oven pizza pretty easily.

the ooni oven is a little more difficult, usually a firat timer will put the pizza together and watch someone put it in the oven. parchment paper will immediately burn in there so you have to put flour or semolina on the bottom of the dough to keep it from getting stuck on the peel, and bigger pizzas really tend to accidentally get run into the sides which is a disaster. you also have to rotate the pizza halfway thru using the peel because the flames in the gas ooni oven are only on two sides.

it makes good pizzas but it’s a lot easier to make a personal sized pizza than a big one in it and you gotta be good with the peel.

don’t try to hot dog it and slide a pizza off of parchment onto the bare stone in the ooni either:

the plus side is that it’s like 750° in there so if you DO accidentally smash some cheese onto the side or whatever it all burns off in 10 minutes.

the gas configuration is waaay easier to use than the pellet attachments.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 25, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Flaxseed oil bake done, just did the sacrificial batch of aromatics to season and bless it

this thing gets HOT even on the electric. i'm feelin it

already slicker than stairs in an ice storm

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Those bamboo steamer baskets own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ultravoices posted:

a silicon pizza slab should be fine to at least 1300C though.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i want to get one of those pizza steels rather than a stone. big rear end piece of steel for the oven. make slightly better pizza.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

i want to get one of those pizza steels rather than a stone. big rear end piece of steel for the oven. make slightly better pizza.

imagine becoming the kensei of the pizza steel

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

while you were drinking
i was studying the steel

while you were having delivery chinese
i was mastering the peel

while you wasted your days at the fry station battering chicken
i was kneading the dough

and now that your cheese is on fire and the crust is unevenly cooked you have the audacity to come to me for help?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

imagine becoming the kensei of the pizza steel

i do, and in my minds eye i have lot of cool tattoos, like one of all the different butcher cuts on a pig, and a duck canvas apron, and i live in the mission.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah pizza steels seem pretty fuckin good and they dont randomly crack and asplode on you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

i do, and in my minds eye i have lot of cool tattoos, like one of all the different butcher cuts on a pig, and a duck canvas apron, and i live in the mission.

i feel like peeps who cook at restaurants in the mission do not live in the mission

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that is way better than peeps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh lmao i TOTALLY forgot i put a wordfilter on you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

I have a Victoria cast iron tawa for pizzas and it rules. 15" flat circle of cast iron with a handle

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

id expect the seasoning to start burning off on a cast iron stone/steel. that wouldn't be great

id expect stainless not to have enough mass to not drop temperature but that might not matter as much as i'm thinking. also maybe they're just thicker than im thinking - im basically imagining a cookie sheet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've made hundreds of pizzas on mine and the seasoning holds up just fine. i treat it like poo poo, it's in my oven all the time and gets heated and cooled constantly and sometimes I remember to oil it. it's like 1/4" thick maybe? It's not a cookie sheet it's a heavy fucker

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

I've made hundreds of pizzas on mine and the seasoning holds up just fine. i treat it like poo poo,

this motherfucker gets it. flashbacks to a guitar world interview where some alt rocker was all "if you traet your guitar like poo poo it will respect you" lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah cast iron is thick. my comment re: mass was specifically about stainless

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the ooni oven is a little more difficult, usually a firat timer will put the pizza together and watch someone put it in the oven. parchment paper will immediately burn in there so you have to put flour or semolina on the bottom of the dough to keep it from getting stuck on the peel, and bigger pizzas really tend to accidentally get run into the sides which is a disaster. you also have to rotate the pizza halfway thru using the peel because the flames in the gas ooni oven are only on two sides.

when cooking in the ooni i like to use flour when shaping a pizza round, then sprinkle semolina on the peel, add the shaped dough, and top the pizza on the peel. after trial and error this is my most reliable combo

quicker you top the pizza also makes it easier, and the lighter your dough (00 flour for neapolitan style vs bread flour for american style), the less you wanna top it to avoid sticking

Achmed Jones posted:

id expect the seasoning to start burning off on a cast iron stone/steel. that wouldn't be great
i managed to burn the seasoning off a cast iron skillet cooking steaks in the ooni at 500C lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

post hole digger posted:

your back tattoo should just be the pizza box logo from futurama