Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
rice cakes done by peeps who actually like rice are dense and have the texture of gnocchi, hth. nian gao, tteok, mochi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

the korean is a straight calque of the english, "secret cowboy bones"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the actual cut looks 100% like cross cut rib portions introduced to korean peeps by mexican butchers in LA (called LA kalbi) so maybe they just wanted to avoid mentioning an american location

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
propane outside

remember, fan death is part euphemism for suicide part excuses for co poisoning from hosed up propane and woodbur ing cooking and heatin setups

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kenny Logins posted:

the distinction i've noticed is convection bake is bake + fan, which means more even cooking either somewhat faster or at somewhat lower temp or both. air fryer mode doesn't even need to preheat and is basically turbo convection bake. cook time is noticeably shorter and the end result is always "crisp"

call it what you will but it's a neat improvement if only to avoid preheating

yah the higher end convection ovens nowadays are shovin in an air fry mode

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you ever try koshihikari or gyeonggi rice jonny

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

i have not, looking them up now. neat

right now i keep jasmine, basmati and calrose in stock

yeah, if you're thinkin of it as pan-asian then jasmine and basmati is reasonable, but korean peeps its short grain or nothing. peeps will add millet or make the 3, 5, 7-ingredient rice (3, 5, 7곡밥: 5 ingredients is glutinous rice, millet, adzuki bean, black bean, sorghum) but they wont consider basmati or jasmine properly korean

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 30, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most grains in a rice mix ive seen was 20, but they were doin poo poo like countin proso millet and pearl millet separately...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the rice hipsterdom that is possible is quite deep. can you find half-milled brown rice where you are? what about gaba rice, or sprouted rice? etc...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try foxtail millet (조) and rice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get a $5 dollar store knife to do this if and only if you sharpen and hone correctly. also sharpening is not honing. if you have no inclination to learn water stone sharpening what you want is a spyderco gizmo. honers are a commodity product

difference betw knoves is how long they hold edge. if you wanna do knife tricks carbon steel knife is best for that but they are a fuckin pain in the rear end to maintain

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
as i said, if you wanna be doin knife tricks and poo poo w em you want a carbon steel knife and/or sharpen them weekly, but they are absolute little shits for maintenance

only thing harder is ceramic. however, the way you sharpen a ceramic knife is to get a new knife and you prolly dont wanna be doin that for the every-month pace it takes to be doin knife tricks

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 31, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also mineral oil. also the wiping needs to be done in literal minutes if you cut acidic poo poo. also cant use knife block or knife blocky dealios. also patina and derusting if necessary.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yah, all in all my carbon steel knife takes about as much maintenance as all my other knives put together, also w daily or every-other-day use

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i tried someones dealio that was that w a marginally weaker magnet (smco magnet) like that and i basically couldnt get the knife off without way too much fuckin effort

obnoxious amounts of force and knives dont mix imo. on the other hand these fuckin magnets were the size of your fist so maybe not that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
more probably ikea sells different jank in a grand jank tributary vs The Great Source Of Jank

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tangsuyuk uses woodear mushrooms. goes p well w everything. also lots of other different details but thats your searchword for korean-chinese sweet and sour pork

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
didnt you post about how you were this fuckin close to dyin and now you're going to eat fish and rice from now on

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try 시금치국, ordinary 된장국, 김치찌게, etc etc

the thing about korean food is that the actual ordinal-ideal meal, like the midwestern meat-and-potatoes or english meat-and-two-veg, is 국밥, or soup-and-rice (and the elided 3-12 side dishes). that's how korean peeps eat in the korean mind (they really did eat that way almost 100% of meals from 800-the 1990s). kbbq is fusion and export.

this is highly compatible w weekday eatin. don't have portion sizes like peeps of joseon tho

()

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 12, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I will never not find it hilarious that pickle juice is the secret ingredient

I think you might be slightly misinterpreting what this means

it means that but also an idealized type of meal

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

I honestly try to avoid cooking onions and garlic because I don’t want to risk smelling like i’ve been cooking or eating onions

how can one peep be so rigorously and systematically wrong on absolutely everything

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that one is just sugar and rice wine but its actually quite a distinct minority of uses of mirin where the quality matters a lot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are some mirin forward simmer dealios where its worthwhile. but the lovely stuff is good enough for most teriyaki, forex

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
15 mins is a deec upper limit. baking soda is gods own tenderizer but if you leave it on for too long things get inedibly metallic

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
posted on same day. absolute lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
eat more rice. good for diabetes

(good for gettin diabetes. gettin diabetes harder, in your case)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
twice cooked pork

samgyeopsal (plain slicin and grillin)

idiosyncratic bacons (i like mala bacon)

lechon kawali

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is the one who can't endure onions in his food?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the diner down the road used to do these onion dealios which were onions chopped to a rough chop, battered then deep fried which were pretty ideal for avoiding the batter-flaying action you get with an incompetently battered onion ring (or one with inadequate onions for the task, which i find is more common). that configuration always seemed pretty ideal for industrial production to me. too bad the diner got whacked by the roni

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

conde nast sucks but watching brad ferment things and bro out on bone app the teeth is awesome

too bad the bon appetit management is a buncha racist little fucks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
tastes good, melts not-like-complete-rear end, cheap. pick two for vegan cheeses

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
highly dry cheese like mature cheddar and parmesan: give up. also give up on cream cheese

on the ither hand theres like 5 very good quesos on the market

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe he thinks this is reddit or something

echi this isnt reddit be less of a goddamn waste of space

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its cognate to la1mian4

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my usual postin enemy on my group chat moved back to korea so the time zones dont work well anymore

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kenny Logins posted:

*squints* zero out of 7 huh

thats "hell" in the background in korean. jiok

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
only its handwritten but not actually calligraphic and its got the advertising firm half-practiced fake spontanaeity to it which is, im guessing, why the writing could be interpreted as pronouncing "guh-ok", which is a tad obscure term for a really big house

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thailand is the most autocondimentin place ive ever been to. archchancellor ridicully would be proud

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i went to the chinese barber by my house and told the barber dude to use his best judgement and he showed me a photo of pangzai and another photo of some other chinese dude as two possible haircuts i could get

i was p sure i wouldn't get my moneys worth for a haircut if i chose pangzais haircut so i chose the other dude but lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yospos is all one thread. let's talk about pittsburgh.