Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SA forums is good use of your time and you will find out all sorts of valuable info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Github was named after the fact that most programmers are gits.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Joe Biden is launching an initiative to revitalize ska music.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Following the events of 9/11 I took a long, hard, look at myself, my life, and where I was going, and one day, I just didn't come home. I just didn't. I am guessing my wife has remarried by now and thank god I don't have any kids (that I know of), but I just lost my poo poo one day on lunch break waiting in line at loving panera bread feet away from where I saw literal people jumping to their death to avoid death by worse means. I mean people need to buy lunch or whatever but it just seemed so ghoulish. Long story short, I raided my entire bank account, fled to South America, and unfortunately John Macaffee has shot several of the dogs I've purchased for safety. Thinking of posting a GBS thread to entice people to come work out here in exchange for free room and board and maybe like a chance to ride the 4x4.

kntfkr posted:

Joe Biden is launching an initiative to revitalize ska music.

that old man couldn't pick it up if he tried, due to his arthritis

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My job definitely does not fill me with so much dread and anxiety that I vomit most mornings

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
hey its jeffrey and just to let you all know, so you won't be so "surprised", I don't think lowtax did anything wrong.
he has been my closest advisor and every one of my decisions were at his suggestion.

eventually he will return to lead SA and to dispose of all the disgusting lies and liars and it is an eternal honor for me to help achieve his divine right to rule.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Following the events of 9/11 I took a long, hard, look at myself, my life, and where I was going, and one day, I just didn't come home. I just didn't. I am guessing my wife has remarried by now and thank god I don't have any kids (that I know of), but I just lost my poo poo one day on lunch break waiting in line at loving panera bread feet away from where I saw literal people jumping to their death to avoid death by worse means. I mean people need to buy lunch or whatever but it just seemed so ghoulish. Long story short, I raided my entire bank account, fled to South America, and unfortunately John Macaffee has shot several of the dogs I've purchased for safety. Thinking of posting a GBS thread to entice people to come work out here in exchange for free room and board and maybe like a chance to ride the 4x4.

Nice try, Panera Bread wasn’t even around in 2001.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Most of the moon landing footage known to the public was faked in the Nevada desert, and broadcast from... the surface of the moon. The actual moon's surface is surprisingly flat and dull; its craters are spread out so large and smooth as to be barely visible up close, and small imperfections in the surface soil have been smoothed out by millenia of gravitational forces, so the astronauts' view was more or less a flat gray plain with little variation. But decades of science fiction had built up a very specific image in the public's mind about what the moon was "supposed" to look like with broken rocky soil and the familiar big bowl craters, and the Soviets had played this up with fake photos released from their "moon probes" (actually their cover for testing a new suborbital missile platform.) At the time the scientific community wasn't entirely certain what they would find and the Soviets' early moon photos seemed plausible. By the time NASA had their own close up photos and saw what they were dealing with they realized they were in a bind: the Soviet photos had remained unchallenged for too long after confirming the public's preconceptions of what the moon's surface looked like, so trying to contradict them now with the uninspiring and featureless photos they had of the moon would look suspicious and unconvincing. So they played along right up through the end of the Apollo missions, filming a "realer than real" version of the landing to broadcast in place of the uninspiring and fake-looking live footage. The flag, landing modules, reflectors, and other equipment they left up there is all real, but the images we saw of them supposedly being planted is all Hollywood.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I poop sometimes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I paid $10+ to post about dicks, balls, poop, and tuggin on an online forum

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
We went to the moon and all of the footage and samples are genuine.

But for the first moon landing, there were too many unknowns regarding if all of the cameras and equipment would function correctly and beam back images of the astronauts taking the first steps. If the footage broadcast would have failed, it would have meant too great of a loss of future funding for NASA, the general morale of the country as a whole, and the perception of the USA's capabilities from other nations.

So secretly, the US government hired Stanley Kubrick (fresh from the realistic space effects of 2001) to create as realistic looking as possible fake footage to be used in case of a broadcast failure.

It's not known if this fake footage would have actually been used if in fact the broadcast of the first moon landing failed, but both NASA and the government needed this open to be there as a contingency. So this fake footage was in fact filmed and existed for a period of time. (It would have in all likelihood been destroyed immediately after the success of the first broadcast.)

Of course Stanley Kubrick could never talk about this, but he put clues and references in some of his movies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

You can freeze a bee and unthaw it later (scientists have done it up to a decade later at this point) and the bee will be totally fine.. The only issue is if it's a drone it may have lost its colony, so you should either freeze an entire hive at a time or just a queen you're looking to transplant later.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Did we run out of lies at the lie factory??

Hey did you know that deli meat is really bad for your liver because of certain preservatives they use and if you eat a lot of sandwiches you should honestly get a full physical like right now to make sure you don't have liver issues

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Although mostly replaced by Ethernet you can still buy replacement tokens for token ring networks at some computer stores.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Flannelette posted:

Although mostly replaced by Ethernet you can still buy replacement tokens for token ring networks at some computer stores.

Literally the only good Dilbert

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

John Lennon really wasn’t murdered in 1980. The man shot at the Dakota was actually Pete Best, the Beatles’ original drummer who came to visit and stay with Lennon for a few weeks. Insistent that the band was getting back together, Lennon wanted Best to be included since he felt guilty for letting him go just before the band hit it big.

Best was outside the Dakota celebrating his comeback when Mark David Chapman opened fire on him. As he was rushed to the hospital with intense bleeding, the doctors asked him who he was, and he could only mutter “John Lennon” before expiring from too much blood loss. The media incorrectly broke the news that John Lennon was murdered, and John used the moment to retreat from the public eye and live life unnoticed since he was officially pronounced dead.

The last anyone even heard of him music-wise was when he cut a hip-hop/rock demo with Eazy-E in 1995 that hasn’t been heard since the day it was recorded and is still locked in a vault somewhere since Eazy was too weak to finish it and died shortly thereafter. There was talks of Lennon collaborating with Tupac after Eazy, but his murder in 1996 and Biggie Smalls’ murder the year after made him swear off music for good since every musician he collaborated with died horrible deaths.

Nobody’s seen or heard from John since. Only Paul McCartney knows what he’s up to in 2021, but he denies John is still alive along with everything else, of course.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
2 + 2 = 5

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It's going to be ok

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mozi posted:

2 + 2 = 5

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
eatin rear end is disgusting and girls hate it

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

israel has the right to defend itself

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lol
"check if it's caught in the ethernet" still works on people today.
did he do any other computers in the 90s office worker jokes?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
All the shortages that are happening right now (microchips, ps5's, gasoline, various things blamed on supply chain problems due to the pandemic) are actually happening because the human population has gotten too big and we are running out of resources. We will be completely out soon. They're just creating cover stories to postpone the inevitable.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Dilbert's tie straightens in the comics if he had sex thar week off panel

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Dilbert's tie straightens in the comics if he had sex thar week off panel

Might actually be true.

Children have been know to have ambivalent attitudes about the meat tank.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 12, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There's certain frequencies you can't consciously hear but we can produce them with today's technology. They won't brainwash you or make you do anything weird but you might hear an incredibly generic techno song and get very upset and not know why: it's because they produced the sounds that are basically "dog whistle" but for humans

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
when you take a really sticky poo that's actually you finally passing the gum you swallowed 7 years ago

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Due to the location of the prostate approximately 30% of men reporter regularly achieving orgasm while defecating.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Due to the location of the prostate approximately 30% of men reporter regularly achieving orgasm while defecating.

please don't try to one-up my poop jokes please and thank you

i have wondered this too though. if you froze a poop and tried to put it back in i wonder, maybe it would work

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Oh yeah I've seen that movie. It was okay

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You have a great rear end.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Lemmy from Motörhead decided he was bisexual when he noticed how many more men there were in the audience than women at his shows.

H.P. Lovecraft had a very mild case of cerebral palsy, which along with his eugenicist leanings contributed heavily to his self-loathing.

Vincent Price and Katherine Hepburn were cousins.

Penn Jillette first met Teller when he attended a performing arts summer camp as a teenager; an adult Teller was working there as a camp counselor and magic instructor.

They eat dogs in Finland. It’s mostly an old person thing.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Nigmaetcetera posted:

H.P. Lovecraft had a very mild case of cerebral palsy, which along with his eugenicist leanings contributed heavily to his self-loathing.
i have tourettes and therefore can feel the vibes and no he was getting pure eldritch vibes like nobody else, just was a poo poo racist too. sorry. had nothing to do with the vibes. guy just sucked

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Mac and Cheese posted:

i have tourettes and therefore can feel the vibes and no he was getting pure eldritch vibes like nobody else, just was a poo poo racist too. sorry. had nothing to do with the vibes. guy just sucked

No he wrote about it in his secret journal, the one that wasn’t published. No, you can’t see it.

Wtf are you talking about vibes though I got Tourette’s it hasn’t given me the shining or any other vibe detecting supernatural powers so far, just makes me squeal like a pig as loud as I can randomly. Well, maybe it’s more of a doglike sound than a piglike sound. Guess it doesn’t matter.

Here’s some truth for you that’s totally not a lie: prior to the 1970’s, packs of cigarettes were frequently handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Trump has your, the american worker, best interests at heart.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Masturbation is technically illegal in Arkansas, though none have ever been prosecuted for it.

"Fingerling potatoes" are not actually potatoes, but a cultivar of yam.

Walt Disney was inspired to make Fantasia after taking LSD with Dr. Albert Hofmann

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Trump pissed on the bed while the prostitiutes watched him

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
grammerly and other similar apps are totally not collecting data for domestic spy programs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Homer Simpson is a brilliant man who has come up with many well-thought-out, practical ideas, and is insuring the financial future of his company. And his personal hygiene is beyond reproach.