Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

It definitely seems like the GBA version is still the way to go unless you have a team where one of the changes works out in your favor

GBA would be the go-to if there was something akin to an MSU-1 mod for it, but I personally plan on going back to SNES this year for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

zzMisc posted:

GBA would be the go-to if there was something akin to an MSU-1 mod for it, but I personally plan on going back to SNES this year for that.
The patcher already includes the option to fix the music, doesn't it?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

girl dick energy posted:

The patcher already includes the option to fix the music, doesn't it?

That's for the original music. I'm talking about an MSU-1 patch to put things like remixed or pixel remaster music on it.

See: https://www.zeldix.net/t2070-final-fantasy-v

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sadly, that's something that is hard-limited to SNES games with very specific chipsets, as far as I know. Either way it's definitely a SNES-specific thing.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
While much better than vanilla, the GBA sound patch is far from perfect. It still sounds way worse than SNES, even on a Gameboy Player with GBI.

There's really not much reason to play GBA over SNES unless you're actually playing on the handheld, since there's a SNES port of the GBA translation now. I suppose there's the additional GBA content as well, but it's both not very good and difficult to fit into a fiesta run. Or if you really like the GBA version's new bugs vs the ones it fixes?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Modoh posted:

While much better than vanilla, the GBA sound patch is far from perfect. It still sounds way worse than SNES, even on a Gameboy Player with GBI.

There's really not much reason to play GBA over SNES unless you're actually playing on the handheld, since there's a SNES port of the GBA translation now. I suppose there's the additional GBA content as well, but it's both not very good and difficult to fit into a fiesta run. Or if you really like the GBA version's new bugs vs the ones it fixes?

At the very least, GBA makes grinding out four Reflect Rings much easier with quicksave abuse to take a lot of bite out of Exdeath.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It's very much a case of the Berserker AI tweaks (since I categorically refuse to quadzerker so I have no need for underflow) and the GBA bugs being better for me, yes. Also, not needing to worry about having the right version/emulator on hand to patch it into a language I can read cannot be understated—I have run into issues where my preferred emulators are too accurate for translation patches, and while I doubt that's the case for FFV it's something I am painfully aware of.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
The biggest upside of SNES is Project Demi which is amazing for fiestas. You save so much time on it. Not ideal for one run every year but for everyone who does more than one it's by far the best one

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I thought I'd love Demi but it turns out I just enjoy seeing characters say whatever dumb name I give Bartz that run.

The GBA version has some really nice bugs, like quicksave manipulation and Omega's vulnerability to Calm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not to mention GBA having the best and most hilarious Vampire bug.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

if you're not playing GBA on fast-forward you don't know what you're missing. soundtrack still slaps, somehow.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SNES is better for speedrunning, GBA is better for fun running.

Just quicksave alone simplifies some terrible grinds

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

oldskool posted:

if you're not playing GBA on fast-forward you don't know what you're missing. soundtrack still slaps, somehow.

I know what I’m missing: the speed trap!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ultrafilter posted:

It definitely seems like the GBA version is still the way to go unless you have a team where one of the changes works out in your favor

I’d say we should make a list of important changes, but frankly I don’t care. The only reason I’d play pixel remaster again is a four freelancer run.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What am I thinking, losing Sinewy Etude early sucks (that's Crescent Town right?). I had Bard my first Pixel run so that shouldn't have slipped my mind. Just tired I think! Another thing is that Liquid Flame not sharing MP thing which is awful for some class combos.

That said, I believe it is still possible to get earlier versions of games through Steam(or, heck, :pirate:) so if you really want a certain bug its not like it doesn't really exist anymore. You'd just have to know ahead of time I guess as I can't imagine saves work backwards but I guess someone would have to try that.

I always liked the GBA bugs myself but then again I really like Blue Mage so that makes sense. Omega is somewhat easier on Pixel depending on your party though so I imagine going forward I'll consider restarting after I get certain classes. I don't love the new time system on Pixel and there's other issues as well (no soft reset and I think I couldn't get any of the quicksave cheesing to work so they might've been fixed).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I'm a huge fan of the magic underflow glitch on SNES. I'm pretty sure that's the only way anyone has ever beaten NED with a solo zerker as well which obviously makes it the objectively best glitch

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
This was fun in a very different way. Strangely enough, despite being pretty much a new personal record in level, the time on the save file is lower than my average run. I guess I used less turbo since I fought more. I also had a fully charged braveblade at the end which was much less of a pain in the rear end than I expected it to be, but I couldn't think of a good use of CK with only freelancers.

https://twitter.com/mickrov/status/1519998186672340994

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Nice! Glad to see somebody else beat it, the amount was pretty low this month. No Putt-Putt fans I guess! Plus I guess the real run is in less than a couple months (cripes, how did that happen?)

You know, I've never done the underflow glitch, I should really try the SNES version when I get a Berserker and an applicable magic user. I actually had a bunch of Gaia Hammers this run and it is really nice quickly clearing trash mobs even if it is a bit late. It's just any non-Lenna with Thronlet right?

I should've already written up my thing, kicking myself that I should test against the new patch now.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1520705115401121792

May seems to be a game called Artifact Adventure. Anyone heard of it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No but the company made One Way Heroics which is a pretty sweet-if-janky roguelike so it's probably good.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I bought it on a whim awhile ago. It’s serviceable but boring enough that I didn’t get through it. I guess I was hoping it would do something wild with it’s premise, but if it does I didn’t see it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i'm 45 minutes in, i have no idea where to go and the line between "enemies i one-shot" and "enemies i cannot defeat" is razor-thin & invisible

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mega64 posted:

No but the company made One Way Heroics which is a pretty sweet-if-janky roguelike so it's probably good.

same publisher, not developer, I think?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I had a pretty good time with Artifact Adventure when I played it, I love spells being a collectible and each town having multiple story outcomes was pretty neat.

Might play it again for fiesta, depending.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1521644044199161856

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Not what I was expecting at all, but I approve.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RK loves his hot takes but when push comes to shove and there's something regarding peoples' lives on the line, his head and heart are in the right place.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

RK loves his hot takes but when push comes to shove and there's something regarding peoples' lives on the line, his head and heart are in the right place.

But his hands are forever in the mayo jar

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

zzMisc posted:

But his hands are forever in the mayo jar

Bad condiments but good charities is better than the reverse.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

oldskool posted:

i'm 45 minutes in, i have no idea where to go and the line between "enemies i one-shot" and "enemies i cannot defeat" is razor-thin & invisible

Same here. It's got that Dragon Quest, step over this bridge and everything is 10x harder, thing going on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Yep, he's a big weirdo but the weirdness is exclusively confined to bad video game opinions and mayonnaise.

Honestly refreshing in this day and age.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Totally forgot, I went through all this work testing FFV against the new patch (no changes) and typing up a Steam post and forgot to post it here! I want to make an ongoing community effort bug post there but we'll see how it goes. Feel free to bump it if you wish.

Basically, I wanted to share that I found you can instakill (more or less) Undead enemies w/ Drain (as well as characters with Bone Mail) due to an error with how it swaps HP (including misses and oddly Osmoses) instead of acting like normal. Since that includes Blood Sword and any class that can equip Dancing Dagger it's pretty fun. Goodbye Gil Turtle. It's also fun if you run into ExDeath's Souls and some other monsters/bosses. Unfortunately, it seems like this one was known but I just never saw it somehow?

Here's the rest of the bugs from the post that I'll just quote (worth a look, Omega is easier mostly and there's some funny ones):

quote:

• Reflect doesn't reflect magical weapons like wands (on both reflected characters and enemies) if they are equipped on the left hand instead of the right. Unfortunately its usefulness is weakened because it doesn't work on proc reflects (like the Healing Staff and Death Sickles).
  • Earthen Wall (aka Golem) when used from the Magic Lamp only works on one person when triggered. On top of that, it seems to fail sometimes (noticed during Reflected characters but might've been a coincidence. If it was because of that enemies didn't seem to get the Earthen Wall from it). I also wanted to mention the patch list seems to mention removing the status immunities from physical attacks with Golem as a conscious choice oddly enough (in the November 10th "Future Update" release notes).

Omega bugs or oddities:
  • Surge Beam is Aegis Shield-able which is fun. Doesn't always show shield animation but nothing else (special physical evade equipment, other shields with evade %) blocks it.
  • Searched Atomic Ray acts different I believe (at least from the GBA version), hits everyone even with Search. Not sure how it reacts with reflected Search on Omega.
  • Omega is !Flirt-able (tried with the rare proc from the Lilith Rod) although of course it is very rare. Counters it unless during Search (like other moves in this version only). Speaking of, doing it during a reflected Search doesn't break or anything, think it might just delay instead of replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

See you in 2022's thread! Remember: it is not bear proof.