Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Trying to finish at least DS2 before Elden Ring, and today I came across this absolutely superb piece of bloodstain stupidity. Just wonderful.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1485681803272896514?t=JJFLrJbv0HKopnLmyZVncw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

SuperTeeJay posted:

Patch note: Players now required to acknowledge that they are proceeding at their own risk before playing in online mode.

The invasion endgame, melting your GPU and stealing your credit card info.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Phobophilia posted:

BTW, anyone who has had access to Elden Ring, able to answer a few questions of mine on dual wielding? Not power stancing, where you swing weapons of similar classes simultaneously, but actual dual wielding where you input both right and left hand weapons. Some of my favorite builds in DS3 and DS2 were of this type. DS3 I liked to use a longsword on the right hand (for the sturdy R1-R1-R2 straight sword moveset), alongside a Yhorm's Great Machete on the left hand. But the issue with this was that the L1 doesn't input an attack, but instead inputs a block using the YGM. Instead the left hand's light attack is mapped to L2. Now that wasn't a huge deal for that particular build, YGM heavy attacks kind of suck, and being able to hold block is very useful in the DS3 engine because it cancels out the pivot animation when you change directions too quickly, very useful tech.

But in DS2, I had a few really good dual wielding builds. I could run a Crypt Blacksword on my right hand, and a Rapier on my left hand, which gives me brutal R1 roll catches on my right hand, and a combination of chase downs and quick pokes with L1 on my left. In addition, I could perform rapier parries with L2. Similarly, in my recent DS2 playthrough with an insanely high win rate, I was using a Blue Knight's Halberd on my right and a longsword on my left, which gave me access to effectively 4 different movesets all at once. When in dual wielding mode, I had access to R1 whiff punishes, R2 roll catches, and L1 fast slashes on anyone who gets inside my halberd's effective range. And if I'd switched my longsword for a sun sword, I would also have access to L2 pokes.

Now in Elden Ring, is the latter possible? When you are dual wielding weapons of two different classes, do you have access to both weapon's light and heavy attack movesets? Or is that no longer possible, will L2 to tied to the weapon's Ash of War?

apparently for weapons in the left-hand that aren't the same type of weapon as the right-hand (so ones that can't be power-stanced), L1 is the left-hand's light attack and L2 is the right-hand's weapon art.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Blood. Theirs and yours.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
It definitely seems like you can finally make a bow build in one of these games. Or at the very least the now equivalent of a mage-knight build instead of just keeping a bow around to pull some enemies and cheese certain encounters.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Using a bow is going to be so much fun.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That dude dodged the arrow. Amazing new tech

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You can feel the weight in it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Cool maybe my magical archer idea will actually work I'm going to try it!

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

gently caress, it's Skyrim's sneaky stealth archer all over again

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

Trying to finish at least DS2 before Elden Ring, and today I came across this absolutely superb piece of bloodstain stupidity. Just wonderful.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1485681803272896514?t=JJFLrJbv0HKopnLmyZVncw&s=19

I finally had to look up a guide for Seath's cave because I didn't trust any of the messages about invisible walkways.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sekibloodsouls looking good

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

It definitely seems like you can finally make a bow build in one of these games. Or at the very least the now equivalent of a mage-knight build instead of just keeping a bow around to pull some enemies and cheese certain encounters.

The gifs look pretty similar to how they worked in Souls, just with the addition of stealth and shooting while jumping, so to the extent that bows were only good for pulling enemies and cheese back in Souls that's probably still true here.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
oh man those gifs, makin me hyped over here

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Sum Gai posted:

The gifs look pretty similar to how they worked in Souls, just with the addition of stealth and shooting while jumping, so to the extent that bows were only good for pulling enemies and cheese back in Souls that's probably still true here.

It looks like there are now bow specific abilities/spells. (Also more utility arrows like the sleep arrows, though of course souls games had poison arrows, etc. already. Hopefully there is a vendor or at least away to craft unlimited arrows. Still loling that DS2 forgot to add a vendor for laceration(aka bleed) arrows so there are only like 40 in the SotFS version and just 10 in the base game.)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Pulcinella posted:

It looks like there are now bow specific abilities/spells. (Also more utility arrows like the sleep arrows, though of course souls games had poison arrows, etc. already. Hopefully there is a vendor or at least away to craft unlimited arrows. Still loling that DS2 forgot to add a vendor for laceration(aka bleed) arrows so there are only like 40 in the SotFS version and just 10 in the base game.)

If you're LOLing for over seven years, maybe it's time to see a doctor?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

If you're LOLing for over seven years, maybe it's time to see a doctor?

I played it for the first time a month ago. :shrug: It’s just funny to me that DS2 showers you with consumables and you can buy every other arrow type. They aren’t even that good.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

I think the soul-spray effect is some kind of item, and Dark Souls 3 already had bow-specific weapon arts (piercing shot, rapid shot). There'll probably be more of them this time, and it's true about more arrow types, though.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
ELDEN ONE... the BEAR is coming... heh heh

my hype train is officially going into overdrive btw

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

giZm posted:

gently caress, it's Skyrim's sneaky stealth archer all over again

That is a sneaky fuckin knight right there...

Also there's fuckin samurai armor... sweet.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Around 30 hours to beat according to the Taipei Game Show interview. Disappointing.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/elden-ring-has-gone-gold-will-take-around-30-hours-to-beat/1100-6499891/

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

it’ll get dlc adding like ten or so hours don’t worry

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

that was talking about estimated time to only do the main quest and not go around exploring much at all to do any of the side dungeons (which are a very significant part of the game's content as shown by the network test)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

They say that's "The main route"; I dunno how the game is set up but if you were to just power straight through the main questline of, say, Skyrim, would it be much different?

Considering it's an open world with - presumably - a ton of sidequests and other things to distract from the main story quest, I figure there's a lot more gameplay in it than that.

Or am I missing the mark here, and do game devs tend to pad the "number of hours" up as high as reasonably possible?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

as everyone knows bloodborne takes only 12 hours to beat the first time so huge improvement

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there will be people who beat it while still getting a lot of the optional experience after around 30 hours because going fast without 'speedrunning' is pretty common. it's gonna rule rear end and is in no way a negative. triple digit hours for the true tarnished. ng+, pvp, dlc, peepee

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

huh posted:

You can feel the weight in it.

:sickos:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Did you actually read this article before posting?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Good grief

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

as everyone knows bloodborne takes only 12 hours to beat the first time so huge improvement

Took me five.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

JBP posted:

Took me five.
Not a good hoonta confirmed.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That article: 30 hour for the main route but it's a big game with lots of optional things.

that one goon: :ohdear: elden ring is only 10 hours long :ohdear:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You're going to find a side quest in this game that takes you to poo poo in the difference and earn some incredible reward 8 hours later and consider whether you're playing the main quest or simply playing the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

You're going to find a side quest in this game that takes you to poo poo in the difference and earn some incredible reward 8 hours later

Frank Sinatra's hat?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

one month. one month. one month.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Frank Sinatra's hat?

Stranger of Paradise comes out the month afterwards, not 8 hours afterwards.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Elden Ring confirmed to be a 3 hour walking simulator a lá Gone Home - brave new direction [from] FromSoft

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If I got to see everything in the game in under 30 hours it would be good, actually.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aidan_702 posted:

Elden Ring confirmed to be a 3 hour walking simulator a lá Gone Home - brave new direction [from] FromSoft

Dark soles

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Gonna take me 30 to beat the tutorial boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

30 hours probably if you know exactly where to go and what to do and have no problems with any bosses.

There's no crossplay for this, right? I won't be meeting any Xbox or pc players as a ps5 player?