Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

porfiria posted:

Is this the ending to Game of Thrones?

And the prequel, and Dark Souls 4 and Bloodborne 2. Time is like a smashed Elden ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/Jyaart/status/1...genumber%3D1699

Still very Berserk-y

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/fromsoft_pics/status/1403083640154865664?s=20

https://twitter.com/fromsoft_pics/status/1403083420385878024?s=20

Jbp is a good poster but I’m sorry ur just wrong about the lack of detail

Also, I’d rather have From Software’s art design be as good as it is, rather than have a more generic design but ‘nicer’ graphics. This Zbrush presentation they did shows that they’re also really good at graphics stuff https://youtu.be/pygFqqwfPag

imhotep fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 11, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I hope there’s no map, or if there is it’s like Shadow of the Colossus style. Miyazaki already said it’s not really ‘open world’, but called it ‘open air’, so I doubt it will be anything like your average triple A open world game.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

Did he seriously call it "open air"? Because I would be tickled, that was also a term used by its publisher to describe the open world game that I did not mention last page that I hope Miyazaki has been inspired by.

Whoops sry, ‘open field’, I think I was subconsciously thinking of the game you were talking about.

BP, there’s some more info on the basic premise of the game from the website, if you want to add it to the OP:

The Golden Order has been broken.

Rise, Tarnished, and be guided by grace to brandish the power of the Elden Ring and become an Elden Lord in the Lands Between.

In the Lands Between ruled by Queen Marika the Eternal, the Elden Ring, the source of the Erdtree, has been shattered.

Marika's offspring, demigods all, claimed the shards of the Elden Ring known as the Great Runes, and the mad taint of their newfound strength triggered a war: The Shattering. A war that meant abandonment by the Greater Will.

And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring.

And become the Elden Lord

And some more generic ad copy, but it confirms a few things at least
“ A NEW FANTASY WORLD
Journey through the Lands Between, a new fantasy world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series, and George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Unravel the mysteries of the Elden Ring’s power. Encounter adversaries with profound backgrounds, characters with their own unique motivations for helping or hindering your progress, and fearsome creatures.”

“ WORLD EXPLORATION IN THE LANDS BETWEEN
ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title.”

“ GENRE-DEFINING GAMEPLAY
Create your character in FromSoftware's refined action-RPG and define your playstyle by experimenting with a wide variety of weapons, magical abilities, and skills found throughout the world.

Charge into battle, pick off enemies one-by-one using stealth, or even call upon allies for aid. Many options are at your disposal as you decide how to approach exploration and combat. “

Obviously whoever leaked that George RR Martin was involved knew something, but they said the name was going to be Great Rune, which are the ‘shards of the Elden Ring’

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 12, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Moofia Boss Val posted:

The sci fi hollywood music was very inappropriate. Looks like another generic souls game. Only thing that seems somewhat interesting is the mounted combat.

What is sci fi exactly about harps, taiko drums, and orchestral brass/strings/choir??

net cafe scandal posted:

You want some too?

I read this in an LPC kinda way and loled

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

man, if there's one thing i thought looked flawless it was the animations. like are we even looking at the same game? and coming after sekiro no less, the game with the some of the best animations and hitboxes in the industry. like, that werewolf dude and the treeface boss, holy poo poo does their movement look nuanced.

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, like, I can't think of any other studio that regularly rigs wild, 15 limbed, giant human/horse/dragon hybrids like Ludwig or the guy at the end of the new Elden Ring trailer (and beginning of the first one) and somehow makes them move so fluidly, but yeah I was about to ask the same thing. Like have any of you guys played Sekiro?? The animations are incredibly elegant and memorable, Sekiro's grappling hook twirl, the okami warriors in the Fountainhead Palace and the way they sword fight in a very fluid, dance like motion, the Demon of Hatred's traditional looking poses, mixed with the odd and quick tip toeing, phase 2 of the guardian ape's weird rear end centipede movement. I mean, that's just to name a few animations that I can vividly see if I try to imagine them, because they're done so well.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://imgur.com/gZiZigR

Wow nice hit box detection, and they snap into upright position when the whips ‘hits’ them, looks like typical From janky pvp. Nvm game looks like poo poo.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 12, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty sure Imhotep was being facetious. That's largely pretty normal attack animation stuff.

After looking at all these gifs though, they should definitely add some kind of replay system that lets us make our own slow-motion gifs. Every console has already had built-in passive video recording and photo modes are everywhere now. time to bring the two together to their logical conclusion. let us direct our own videos and gifs

Yeah I was, even before seeing the new trailer, this was my most looked forward to game, and now it’s somehow even more exciting. But yeah, I would also like that but as a dork who spent way too much time in Demon’s Souls’ picture mode I also think I’d spend way too much time in it. I was actually just thinking how that would be so much better than the dumb hint system that lets you leave a 15 second ‘memory’ or ghost recording thing, and how much more useful having a gif making mode would be, instead of a picture mode. Because I was trying to find a nice slow mo gif of Sekiro’s grappling animation, because I don’t know if ive seen one but it’s just a really elegant twirling motion and it owns.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

acksplode posted:

BotW style free self-directed exploration with more meaningful stuff to find and greater emphasis on character development. :yeshaha:

Heh, reading that interview earlier I thought to myself, 'Acksplode is gonna love it'

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I posted the video earlier itt, but seeing the slightly off English translation of Aldrich in that From Soft Zbrush presentation that’s in Japanese made me feel dumb because before that I didn’t realize that Aldrich is just a slight variation on the word Eldritch, and Aldrich being a weirdo god devouring blob makes it even more obvious.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Aldrich's Japanese name *is* Eldritch. It was changed in the English translation, I assume because someone's name being actually Eldritch sounds stupid as gently caress.

I know, that's what I was saying. My point was that the clever localization team fooled me by swapping a letter.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cowcaster posted:

you misunderstood giving a single rat a mohawk makes it boss

i've always said this, ppl forget or something or aren't willing to admit that it owns

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

sounds like we're getting Pawns

have you seen the miyazaki Fumitsu interview? In the trailer, the blue summons are 'spirits' you can summon, basically like enemies you defeat that you can then choose to summon at certain spots, and level up etc.

"
--So weapon and skill combinations are important decisions for the player. Can you assign multiple skills to a weapon?

[Miyazaki] You can assign one skill per weapon. However, you can swap these freely - there are about 100 in total. There is also quite a selection of weapons - finding your favorite combination will be one of the things to enjoy.

Also, completely separate from this, it is possible to summon spirits. You can summon these to become allies and fight with you when in the correct place. There is the same element of collecting and equipping that exists with weapons, armor, magic, etc.

--Summoning spirits - this is something new.

[Miyazaki] Yes. Spirits are basically based on enemies, and have their own individual character that is quite varied. You can summon a shield character to protect you from behind, summon archers to aid your advance, place decoys to attack enemies from behind, etc. They have many strategic uses.

--Can the spirits level up? For example, to the point where you can use them against bosses.

[Miyazaki] Yes they can. Just like with weapons, you can choose which spirits to level up. Choose which ones to level to match your strategy or preference. There are even some spirits which aren't of much use, but are quite loveable anyway."

imhotep fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 6, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Dark Souls did it before RE Village.

But also the PS store page is up !

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10000333/

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Miyazaki can have all the eye balls I manage to find as well as my own eye balls.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
The Elden Ring Twitter account just posted this screenshot which I don’t think they’ve posted yet

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I've been playing the Cinders mod for DS3 and even though I'm not really enjoying it since it feels like they just dumped a bunch of random poo poo on top of the original game, and there's tons of stuff just strewn throughout that's like a disembodied head and two legs, and a talk dialogue prompt that takes you to a weird shop that sells who the gently caress knows what (and thats another thing, they added like 5 thousand more items, and a lot of the item descriptions are vague as hell), but I do like the variety in spells. But I started with the hex class and was amazed that you could combo spell casts together, like as quickly as you would swinging a sword or whatever, it's such a simple change and yet it's incredible, and somehow the best feature they added and it's not in any of the soulsborne games, is it? I've at least gotten halfway through each game with some sort of magic build, and beaten almost all of them with magic builds, but I don't remember any spell casting being that quick, but drat I hope they include that in Elden Ring. I guess it might just make magic incredibly op, but it makes pve magic way more fun for me, casting spells in souls games always makes me feel like i'm just mashing R1 even moreso than melee builds do, because of the slow casting speed I really notice that I'm trying to mash R1 so I can shoot the spell as soon as possible.

I was looking closely at all the armor and stuff in the newer batch of screenshots, and the armor/clothing design is so loving good. What kind of weapon in their right hand though, some sort of catalyst?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

I didn’t see the context for this post, but even without context it owns

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

roomtone posted:

oh is it ringed city? cos i never completed that.

Yeah, the entrance to the last boss and the second is the intro to the nameless king.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

huh posted:

A promo screenshot with a bird (phantom?) that has mechanical lower legs.

Pretty sure that bird also has a lil helmet too

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Colonel Whitey posted:

I found a nice crafting material farming spot and I’ve been killing the same hog over and over for 57 hours straight

But this is something you might actually end up doing (if you want to), since there is crafting and there's all sorts of animals, like deer, birds, etc. and the crafting screen showed 'thin animal bones' as one of the items needed to make arrows.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i just noticed that during the bit where they show off co op and they fight the boss on the horse, the other player uses an actual dragon's head to breathe fire on the horse, not like a stone dragon head or whatever. I assume you can get that from Godrick's boss soul or whatever, maybe it's an arcane tool?

Godrick's character animation rig is loving insane, one of the most complicated looking animation rigs I've seen in any video game.
https://i.imgur.com/bt0UgEk.mp4

imhotep fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 8, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

huh posted:

It seems obvious why Godrick was showcased as a boss fight. What a creation.

And I think that dragon head breathing fire might be a...what's the word...spectre?

Yeah, I keep forgetting that he's the first thing that they showed in the 2019 teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wwSxl0atc

I've always wondered what the character *is* with the long red hair that's seen during the bit where the narrator says 'look up at the sky, it burns'. My immediate impression was that it was some sort of troll looking thing with a big nose. And the character running with the spear that 'breaks' the elden ring has really cool looking armor, and I hope it's in the game. But yeah, I wonder if any of that will be in the actual game, the footage of the woman holding a staff and the man hammering something were outsourced to a different company who also did some other concept art stuff, so I doubt that will be in the game, but it would be weird if Godrick was the only thing from that teaser that ended up in the game.

i wonder when the embargo ends for the youtubers who have access to the network test, i was assuming it would be today at like 9 am.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 8, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

cool av posted:

did it look like there are roll iframes in the gameplay footage? the player got hit a bunch and i couldn’t tell.

i guess it’s pretty likely, but would be cool if they switch it up regardless.

I didn't notice a roll that could be interpreted as having i-frames, and as someone else pointed out, it seems like you have the Bloodborne quick step-dodge instead of rolling, at least when locked on during battle, which I'm cool with. There also seems to be more of an impact when fighting things, in the gameplay footage when they're fighting the dragon, the dragon's wing knocks them on their back as does the following attack with their mouth, then they roll to stand up, so I'm not sure if that's just the animation used when you quickly get up after getting knocked down or what. Some of the more exciting gameplay stuff for me was the way the dragon as well as the other bosses shown seem to physically knock the player back in a way that other Dark Souls games didn't really have, like they hold up their sword to block another attack immediately after getting knocked down and when their head hits the character they block it but roll backwards into the same position holding their sword, which I thought might just be the result of it being the last attack that the player could actually block before their poise would have broken, since it seems like you just barely block it without getting knocked down. Also the attacks against the dragon look more 'realistic' than souls combat, when the sword hits the dragon's neck, you can see what looks like an actual cut into it's flesh.

I don't know if it's just the camera movement, or if I'm just imagining things, but there seems to be more of a like physicality to the combat that wasn't there before, and the lack of rolling through attacks with i-frames, and the way the player character repeatedly blocks attacks, not with a shield, but holding the sword up, makes it feel like it's going to be quite different from Soulsborne games, but it's hard to say without having played it. I hope it's different, I like Sekiro a lot more than the Souls games because the combat isn't as ambiguous, you either time the deflect or you don't, but it's hard to tell exactly what you did wrong in Souls games sometimes because it's not so easy to tell when your i frames start and end.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 8, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

skasion posted:

You can block with a sword and get knocked back despite blocking in other souls games. In fact that specific “land a back flip while blocking” animation has been in the games since DS1 at least.

You can also definitely roll in Elden Ring. In the dragon fight clip the guy rolls out the way of a head sweep right before he hits the charged attack on the head

I know, I say in that post that the character rolls, I just said specifically that I didn’t notice an instance of rolling to get I frames.

The Bandai Namco YouTube page just posted these pictures
]

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I also didn’t get in, even though I signed up 22 minutes after they announced the network test and I truthfully said in the survey that I’d beaten every soulsborne game and Sekiro, and that I owned Armored Core V. Well, if anyone has a network test code or whatever they can’t use, I will pay them 5 bucks via PayPal.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
oh gently caress yeah, it looks like dark souls 2 style dual wielding is back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsD0WgtEnqE&t=263s

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Why does that NPC who gets transformed into a tree call you ‘Cully’???

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
yall see that new elden ring https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1465712350732775438?s=20

i hope that's the overworld music in certain areas that aren't Limgrave, or if it changes up when significant events happen, etc. because it's nice and also just better than the music in Limgrave.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cowcaster posted:

wow look at the giants off in the hills

in the first shot on the very left? i'm having a hard time making anything out because of the compression and artifacts. There's some interesting looking transparent like banners or rope or something and there's that volcanic looking area with the spikes again.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Miyazaki put all those feet pics to good use
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1465847664516370434?s=21

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

armored knight brought his son to japan to seek a cure for his illness, i think. from what i recall roberto was involved with the corrupted senpou buddhist experiments to create a child god. also roberto invented the firecrackers.

Yeah it was this, little Robert wad sick so they went East because the armkored knight heard about what they were up to, and Robert sold firecrackers to help fund their trip. The armored knight is guarding the temple basically. Kind of ironic, or I guess if the experiments actually did work on Robert and didn’t kill him, those firecrackers might’ve helped Sekiro kill all of them before they had a chance to experiment on the kids.

Edit: I went to look up the dialogue that he says before the fight and found this Vaati video on it, how did he get 6 minutes of video out of this https://youtu.be/VhMJbmJMw8A

imhotep fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 2, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
More feet tech
https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1467290371180797952?s=21

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

huh posted:

Conqueror of the stars? Where is game going to take us?

was going to post this as well, I was surprised by how much the network test mentioned the stars and space in general in the item descriptions, and i was watching the leaked trailers again and forgot that there's what looks like a boss intro cutscene with some sort of sorcerer in long robes in front of a gigantic moon. i love it, this game is gonna be so weird.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
George RR Martin wrote a blog post about his involvement with Elden Ring https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2021/12/18/long-long-ago/

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kazzah posted:

I mean that wouldn't take long

I think they mean dies irl.

Did grrm just rip off tolkein with the RR thing?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Listen I wouldn’t be talking about grrm or anything to do with fantasy if it weren’t for dark souls, I haven’t even watched game of thrones.

But that reminded me that Miyazaki said that the archives in dark souls were inspired by hogwarts’ moving staircases, and i didn’t think about it until now, but they’ve revisited the concept twice in the research hall and dark souls 3’s archives, so I imagine they’ll probably have another go at it in Elden ring.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
If anything, it's generous that they're giving you a sound effect and a big red symbol to alert you to the next attack that most likely is unblockable, but Dark Souls fans were quick to say 'This is hosed!! I don't speak japanese, how am I supposed to read that", instead of doing what they'd been doing for years and looking at the enemy's movement and deciding what to do based on that.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Miyazaki plays mindgames better than any other prominent industry dev personality

How so? You mean as far as creating lots of scenarios that are weird and cool and make you want to tell your friend about the weird poo poo that just happened to you?

As far as press stuff goes, he’s way more sincere than Kojima and hasn’t even really trolled the audience the way Kojima has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

JBP posted:

Last night I had a dream that I got up really early to meet Miyazaki and I made him a gift. He was so happy that I got up early and made him a gift that he gave me a trophy in front of a group of fans and said I was a great fan and he appreciated it. Then I met a beautiful woman and did an MC set at the Fontana di Trevi with some cue cards and killed. Some Italian guy was pissed at me swanning in and getting laughs with no effort.

Anyway I reckon I'm ready for Elden Ring.

Hahah