Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O: Terunofuji / Shodai / Takakeisho
S/K: Wakatakakage / Mitakeumi / Meisei
M1-M5: Endo / Takanosho / Chiyotairyu
M6-M10: Aoiyama / Terutsuyoshi / Kiribayama
M11+: Kaisei / Daiamami / Ichiyamamoto

Here's my picks, based almost entirely off of how much I like their names.

Thanks for running this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ah, drat, poor Endo. Out with a hamstring.

Trade Endo for Takanosho or Hokutofuji, please.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

net work error posted:

Just echo-ing everyone else that the last bout loving rocked.

gently caress yeah it did.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That Hakuho-Shodai match was incredible. I gasped along with the crowd when I saw him line up all the way at the edge.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

That loving elbow smash into Teru's face was brutal. This was a great basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

This tournament has easily made Ura into one of my favorites.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Ichinojo
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Endo

M6-10:
Ura
Asanoyama
Shimanoumi

M11+:
Terutsuyoshi
Kaisei
Ishiura

Hopefully this is in on time. If not, oh well. Still, I'm confident in my strategy of "Picking guys who I remember doing something neat and/or have cool names."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Memento posted:

From one point of view I'm like "what the gently caress he was literally the best to ever do it and you're making him schlep around like a first-year apprentice" but from another point of view I'm like "holy poo poo imagine being a fan and coming into the arena and getting shown to your seat by Hakuho"

"Imagine being the crazy fan that tries to sprint past security to get backstage."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bessantj posted:

That roll by Ura :discourse:

His face when he came up was a perfect mix of "Oh drat, I lost" and "That was loving sweet."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

net work error posted:

I'm so hyped on Ura this basho especially after his last match.

Ura became one of my favorites after his performance last basho and I was so mad he didn't get the kachi koshi to be eligible for the technique prize he deserved. Watching him actually succeed this basho has been a treat.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

also shodai could be yokozuna with a sports psychologist

I very much enjoy Shodai's dedication to putting in his hours and no more. It takes real skill to be so amazingly mediocre at being great. Gonna get his 8 in the second highest rank possible, then check out for the rest of the basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Khizan posted:

I love Shodai's slacker ozeki thing, and I feel like there's a very real chance he outlasts Takakeisho in the role. Shodai's "KK and chill" style seems far more sustainable than Takakeisho's "ram headfirst into 350lb giants in search of glory and a white rope" brand of sumo.

Yeah I was not being ironic. The man is performing consistently just good enough... at the second highest possible rank. It's the weirdest mix of overachiever and chill, and I love it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Meisei
Takanosho
Daieisho

M1-5:
Ura
Wakatakakage
Endo

M6-10:
Takarafuji
Hidenoumi
Akua

M11+:
Terutsuyoshi
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka

Thanks for organizing this again!

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I'm off to a great start this basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

gently caress, poor Ura. Hope he's okay.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

That’s probably what I’d do if I was as talented as Ichinojo. Though I think I’d go try hard mode for a like a year or so to try and secure the sweet Ozeki bag so I can really goof off with guaranteed rank.

Shodai is reading the post and nodding firmly.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

So many people rejecting a known 8-9 wins just because the other guy is the 95% likelihood yusho winner.

I'm always too slow to pick Teru and at this point I'm just going to start picking Shodai as my first choice. I already respected him for being there to do his job and not one bit more; why should I try to do better than that with fantasy sumo?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

god i love shodai

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Live sumo starting up for the day at the twitch stream someone linked earlier in the thread:

https://twitch.tv/karla_sumoist

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Shodai
Terunofuji
Mitakeumi

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Takanosho
Abi

M1-5:
Ura
Endo
Ishiura

M6-10:
Tobizaru
Shimanoumi
Aoiyama

M11+:
Terutsuyoshi
Chiyonokuni
Nishikigi

Continuing my policy of picking rikishi based on how much I like them/their name, without any regard to skill. It's served me well so far and it will continue to do so long into the future.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ishiura out, drat. Hope he can use the time to recover, that neck injury was nasty looking.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

speaking of amazing natural gifts, kotonowaka definitely has 4 titties.

my RL sumo friend group has started calling them x-wing titties

titties locked in attack position

Exciting day today. I'm glad Shodai got a win finally. I want him healthy and back to doing the bare minimum to get 8, as god intended. Teru losing was also a surprise, though not that much of one given his knees.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Apparently Teru's out.

I hope it was the loss making it sink in that he needs to rest and heal, and not that fall jarring his knees further.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

True Shodai fans had him as their first choice in the draft.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Takuan posted:

When I started doing Fantasy Sumo I resolved to always pick Ura, no matter what(except injury).
This is a test of faith, and I will not waver.

Even with his record,that summersault into a shimpan is a highlight of the basho.

Also, SHODAI.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

News: Shodai

Views: S H O D A I

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

drat that was a good basho.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I can't believe Wakatage's win and Shodai suddenly waking up managed to pull me up to J2. I look forward to this being my career high water mark as I continue my strategy of "Picking guys whose names I think are cool or remember doing something cool last basho or are Shodai."

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I want Yokozuna Shodai's first every tournament at the rank to be him starting out 0-7 before rattling off 8 straight wins.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

I had the advantage last time of not knowing anything and so picking off largely arbitrary criteria. Now I am burdened with more knowledge and have no idea who I want to pick!

Except for Hoshoryu of course. Never not Hoshoryu.

I just pick my favorites. Last time this got near the top of juryo! Shodai is truly reliable.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Goddammit, a week out from sumo and AT&T drops NHK World! :argh:

NHK world streams online and there's live streams on twitch of the basho. I'll link a good one when it starts.

That said, I get that it's not as good as having it on your TV, so that sucks.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Y/O:
Shodai
Terunofuji
Mitakeumi

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Endo
Kotonowaka
Takanosho

M6-10:
Ura
Terutsuyoshi
Kotoeko

M11+:
Oho
Chiyoshoma
Chiyotairyu

Log082 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2022

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Team Favorites

Y/O:
SHODAI

I see you, fellow person of good taste.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Edited my post. Hope Ishiura recovers well!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3971281&pagenumber=103&perpage=40#post523174045

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Low ranked matches have started!

I recommend https://twitch.tv/MidnightSumo to watch. The person running the channel is great about announcing matches so you know who's fighting even at the lower ranks.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Shodai.

Shodai gonna Shodai.

Also, Takayasu got robbed by the gyoji.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

I watched my first full day of juryo. It makes perfect sense but it was still surprising to see how obviously everything was a level below the quality of the top division. A little bit messier, a little bit slower and ramping up through the bouts.

Boy, wait'll you watch the early jonidan matches.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ahaha. "Oh right, I'm still small enough to be flexible."

Shiroc posted:

Some day I'll be there sitting right next to the simpan all day watching every level of sumo. I assume the ushers will ask me several times on my way in if I understand that the real divisions don't start for like 8 hours and that it is fine to come later.

My friends and I have a plan to do exactly this when we finally get around to taking a trip to Japan. We also plan to cheer as loudly as possible for each rikishi even if we have zero idea who they are, just on principle, since those poor guys usually have no one watching. In the meantime, though, I want to recommend the twitch link I posted earlier in the thread. Matches usually start between 7:30 to 8:30 EST depending on the day's schedule, and the guy who runs the channel has put in a lot of effort to prepare bios even for the low ranked guys nobody knows. I like to watch the early matches before bed, then catch the highlights for Maegashira and up the next day.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, Terusuyoshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Poor Enho. His match today/last night was a clear show of how not to henka.