Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm gonna try and follow sumo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scary injury :ohdear:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Terunofuji's bag of tricks must be huge. That arm pulldown ruled

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Day 4 with some great bouts. Very hype.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the story on Ishiura? I've been impressed by him so far this basho and he looks jacked which is very cool.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Hakuhos fight shows he's strong as hell too, I'm less sure about Terunofuji being able to beat him lol.
Well see if either of them last the 15 days though

He really is just on another level

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just echo-ing everyone else that the last bout loving rocked. What an interesting match that almost reminded me of like an mma match or something for a bit there

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hakuho reminds me of LeBron where he's just crazy strong and mobile for his giant size.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Terunofuji does a shitload of heavy weight lifting, including 600kg leg presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaTjkX_vHbY

Hell yeah

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is sumo a big draw at the University level like baseball or another major sport? I'm not familiar with how college sports and recruiting works in Japan.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kiribayama and Takayasu was about 2 hours long I think.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Takuan posted:

So um... What was the deal with the fonts in today's Kintayama video?

At least they were all fairly legible and not too far on the Wingdings side of things.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well, only Hakuho or Terunofuji can win the yusho now, they are both on 13-0 while the next one down (Tamawashi and Kotonowaka) is just at 10.
I think that if Terunofuji wins tomorrow he's got the rope regardless of what happens on the final day. The case for yokozuna is enough if you look at historical cases. His recent record is super strong on its own. Won the last two yushos, and is at least runner-up on this one at a minimum.

Hoshoryu-Ichinojo was an absolute classic, I think that's one of those matches that will get repeat views on youtube for years. That was a belter

Hoshoryu with big power hell yeah that was a good one. Also props to Ishiura for also getting another win.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Omnikin posted:

lol he's done it for yeaaaaars now

The whole step-out monoii in Ichinojo-Hoshoryu is so weird. To me Hoshoryu was out first because he's plummeting off the dohyo, clearly being shoved out of the ring. The second his foot goes below the dohyo it should be Ichi win imo

I was curious about this as well. Is there a rule that it doesn't count until you actually touch the ground no matter where you are?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No matter how he does it Hakuho is cool

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I liked the final match.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

As was mentioned before if it's similar to baseball hall of fame voters they will be mad at Hakuho until they die just like Pete Rose. Granted very different circumstances but it shows how long that type can hold a grudge.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No Hakuho in the opening ceremony? What the heck

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

With covid flaring up they trimmed out a lot from the ceremony and maybe that got cut. Maybe they'll have something for the closing ceremony though.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's really illegal in Japan. :shrug: Weren't mushrooms only recently criminalized there though?

E: If you get a drug charge and you're any kind of famous you get disappeared. There was one guy who got caught with cocaine who was a character in a game so they hired a new person and patched the offender out of the game.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The horses got the statue removed!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sumo men scared the horses
Athletes Complaining
A statue has been taken

:five:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Aw man hope it doesn't get serious for him. Wishing him well for what it's worth.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Exciting day 1 lots of good ones :)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Salt Bae coming out swinging, hot drat.

IYeah those were some big hits. Decent stuff today as well!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tobizaru and Terutsuyoshi bout took place below sea level with how low both of them were going.

Excellent stuff from Kiribayama and Takayasu as well. Those guys were gassed at the end for sure.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Vargatron posted:

I don't find Chris Sumo's coverage sensational or anything. I think he's using sources that the mainstream sumo media won't use and he's really advocated for accountability in the JSA for a lot of issues in the sumo world. His match day reviews are also really good, especially of developing wrestlers.

Yeah his news round ups and match day episodes are good to watch. I don't watch any of his other videos though. :shrug:

I also like that he's been adding little b-roll of stuff around the arena and the area. :shobon: It's nice to see and makes me excited to go to a basho one day maybe hopefully please Japan let me back in

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Ura - Daieishou match was great sumo. Ura got a poster moment for sure.

Also really thought Ichinojou was cooked right at the start.

Kiribayama with a great match against Teru as well!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kiribayama good

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ura tried to be extremely cheeky and I love it.

And great effort by Tobizaru, no give up there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Brut posted:

He seemed fine to me I think he just lost his balance and took his time getting up.

Edit: I just saw some more replays that I didn't see before and maybe I am an idiot, we'll find out tonight

I hope he's fine. I've become a fan of his this basho.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Holy moly what am incredible day of sumo. :woop:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ura rocks holy poo poo.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Good day for fans of patient sumo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Beeswax posted:

A truly impressive showing by Meisei. Teru never got a chance to breathe or recover after the initial charge. Impressive!

It was a big start for Meisei and a very cool match.

Bit of a downer for Ura to hit makekoshi today. :(

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Wow. Had to happen eventually but still doesn't feel good happening.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scythe posted:

It had to happen someday but… just one day after a basho he didn’t even play in?

To be a little cynical, it's a good way to take the news cycle over. So now it can be, "Terunofuji won his first as a Yokozuna but Hakuho is retiring!"
Is that the actual reason? We'll never know but it's one idea at least.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

There are articles (and even an opinion piece) about Hakuho's retirement in the New York Times and the Washington Post. Good to see a little more mainstream recognition.

There was actually an NPR article on it as well. Unexpected but nice to see.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Watching old Kintamayama videos only makes me more thankful that we have Natto. Nothing against Kinta's videos -- he did god's work to give us the sumo content we otherwise couldn't get, but the production values we have access to now are nothing short of amazing.

NHK should just hire Natto to do the official daily recaps.

Watching a kintamayama video is like posting on a forum. Sure there's slicker ways to post but something about a low effort sumo vid is nice to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Oh my god Teru vs Daiesho, what a battle!

Hell yes it rocked