Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
One slight correction or two. On July 21, 2021 the first five episodes of The Owl House will come to Disney+. The next five episodes will drop on Disney+ on August 18, 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nephthys posted:

So going by the intro scene to the new episode (spoilers for Star Vs) it seems like Belos' plan is to punt the Boiling Isles into the human world and merge the two? I'm going to laugh my rear end off if that turns out to be true and the main villain's evil plan is literally the ending to Star Vs.

For his (and the Boiling Isles' sake I hope he's thwarted). If Belos is the guy from the 1600s his plan might end up going like this: https://eyeofmidas.com/scifi/Turtledove_RoadNotTaken.pdf

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't the panel with that crossover table-read with Amphibia this week?

This coming Saturday the 24.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 20, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

The kids getting their palismen* was such an injection of serotonin, you have no idea.
*that spelling still feels weird to me; it clearly derives from "talisman", not "man", so why is the plural like that?

Also, I feel like that scene of Luz leaning over Hunter was put there specifically to mess with Lumity shippers, and the following slap was Dana going "nah, just kidding, I got you fam"

Whoever created that name is unfamiliar with English? Of course the rules of English are pretty much language Calvinball anyway.

I could see a version of the show where Luz/Hunter is a thing. They both have that "nerd magic" thing. They also both require unusual means to access magic.

Five'll get you ten that there's probably several fanfics featuring an Amity/Hunter/Luz "throuple."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

I was a fan of the quadrupededal person with the big lips myself.

I like that the Boiling Isles appear to be made up entirely of bad sides of town.

Emperor Belos's real plan: Build a portal that will let him move to the Connecticut surburbs.

Edited to add:

Just confirmed that the first 5 episodes of S2 have now dropped onto Disney+.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 21, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

i liked when the witches done kissed

I am so looking forward to the next Luz/Amity encounter. Their relationship is so great because it's just so damned normal. Yes, this really is how teenagers act when they're in the hormone haze of love. It's just that now it's a couple of girls instead of a boy and a girl.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I'm on board with this.

I'm on board with this and want to set sail with it nowish.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Walrus posted:

Solid Hero's Story journey with characters that are both heartwarming and hilarious. Strong doses of pathos when you least expect it. Great bad guys. Kick rear end fight scenes. Cute animals.

Yeah, speaking of heartwarming, hilarious and strong doses of pathos, this episode definitely brought all of that.

I will say that it might have been a touch more effective if we'd heard of Raine Whispers even once before all this. I get story structure/abbreviated story time, but this episode gave more flashbacks to those 80s-90s shows with "Hi, I'm the main character's best friend/soulmate/lifelong love who's never been mentioned before and after I tragically die in this, my introductory episode, I'll never be mentioned again." That won't be the case here, but still.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Luz has a powerful friendship aura, Eda's mom aura has grown stronger with contact with her over time, and should not be underestimated.

Some of how Luz has been presented doesn't fully gel for me. Here's part of a review I did of the 2010 movie, Killers with Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Hiegl:

quote:

Heigl plays the Katherine Heigl character, a blond, pretty and likable young woman who for no discernible reason is unable to maintain a relationship with a man.

Luz is nice, kind, likeable, fun and friendly. She was presumably all of those things back on Earth as well. She should have had friends on Earth, probably multiple "best" friends on Earth. And yet that doesn't seem to be the case at all. So far the only person from Earth she seems to miss even a little bit is her mother and her biggest reason for wanting to return to Earth seems to be "that's how these kinds of books work."

I think I'd almost like Luz a little better if she was a little more selfish about it, like, "Why would I want to go back to Earth? To embarrass my mother some more? Everything good in my life is here on the Boiling Isles. My magic is here. My friends (including a probable girlfriend) are here. A mom, Eda, who actually supports what I want to do is here. There's nothing for me on Earth except boredom and balancing checkbooks."

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of, King taking up the Clawthorne name was adorable.[quote]

It was and I'll admit that I did not see that coming.

[quote="paradoxGentleman" post="516459835"]
Man, Darius was so fun to hate. I love that he thinks Alador's an hack. I bet he only likes artisanal hand-crafted abomination. His scary genie form was cool though, really sold the idea that these coven leaders are not to be messed with.

Alador makes Abominations for other people to buy and use not just as self-expression/art. Meanwhile, Alador seems like another one like Principal Bump - someone who is really dangerous if you genuinely mess with what they care about. I am very much looking forward to Bump dropping a Scholastic Shithammer on some imperial toadies who try to gently caress with Hexside students (like Luz, Gus and Willow)

paradoxGentleman posted:

The small goblin head coven was fun. I didn't quite catch his name though.

I think they said it but I missed. That characters was probably the head of the Beast-keeping coven. Also, they seemed to be interested in and sympathetic with King. They might end up switching sides to Team Eda eventually

paradoxGentleman posted:

Eda ugly crying was fantastic.

Wendie Malick was strong with the ugly-cry force.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 25, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Normally I'd be right there with you, agreeing that the whole "that kid is so weird, of course they don't have any friends"; kids and young teens tend to at least find moderately weird kids to be interesting, and coupled with Luz's kindness she should at least be popular with the nerdier kids that probably are right there reading the Good Witch Azura books with her.
But you have to keep in mind that in Luz's introduction she was unleashing snakes and spiders on her classmates, and that probably doesn't help with her popularity. We are asked to believe that this is because she has trouble distinguishing fantasy with reality, and... I guess that's possible? Especially given her unerring belief in gryphons vomiting spiders? But it seems more like a creative and active child that hasn't been given a proper outlet for her energy to me.

That first episode is honestly kind of weird, in retrospect, although I suppose they mostly wanted to get the human stuff out of the way to get straight to the fun of the Boiling Isles.

I get that part to some degree. It's just that it puts me in the mind of FOX News during the Obama years.

Fox: Obama's a crooked, naive, atheist Muslim pushover weakling tyrant!
Me: Uh, guys, you realize that not all of those things can be true at the same time, right?

Luz is a confident, outgoing, friendly, kind friendless weirdo loner.

I think I'm just comparing the character-building for Luz somewhat unfavorably to the character-building for Anne Boonchuy from Amphibia. Anne is also brave, friendly, outgoing and kind. But she's also (sometimes) lazy, selfish, moody and disrespectful.

Anne talks about her best friends, but at the lake, she pushes Sprig to swim with that "...if your friend wants a pencilbox, you get it for them. If they want you to steal a music box even though you don't want to, you do it because if you don't, they might not want to be your friend anymore."

Whatever positive qualities Anne has, she's also got some deeply hosed-up toxic ideas about friendship that she needs to unlearn.

Anne Boonchuy seems like a real person. A real kid with flaws and real problems. Luz sometimes seems like more of an idea/approximation of a real person. Maybe as the season goes on they'll deal with that stuff better.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The impression I get from Bump (and it might be too generous, since I see a lot of a younger myself in him) is that he's a guy who believes that the rules and regulations set in place, by and large, work and are there for a reason. This often makes him butt heads with chaotic spirits like Eda or Luz, but he's willing to amend his views when presented with evidence that his methods need revision, as we've seen in the multi-track/basilisk episode, which saves him from being a straight up villain.

Speaking of, man did I love the revelation that the imp on his head is actually his palisman, helping him see, and that palismans can even do that, and that he has actually long, luxurious raven hair. Tha palisman episode rocked.

And speaking of that , I loved how smug he looked when Luz was ahead in the race. Also one of his colleagues' palisman was a mini giraffe, which is wild.

I have been liveblogging this show for my girlfriend and this causes my thoughts on it to assume a kind of stream of consciosness shape. I hope it's not a bother.

Bump is a guy who has lived long enough to recall how many rules were made because "Hey, remember that horrible poo poo? Let's make sure that never happens again." He respects the rules because he recalls the horrible stuff that happened because they weren't in place. If a couple of the Emperor's coven come to him with an arrest warrant for Luz complete with proof of wrong-doing (sedition against the Emperor, etc) then Bump would reluctantly allow them to take her into custody.

But if couple-three of them come to Hexside with the attitude of "Hey, let's grab Eda's pet human girl while she's at school and Eda's not around to protect her. Belos will love to have some leverage like that." then Bump is going to "kid's show friendly" gently caress them to death with a rusty jackhammer.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Cattail Prophet posted:

I have zero expectations that the show will actually go into it, but I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that good old fashioned bigotry was a contributing factor towards Luz's lack of friends.

A quick Googling told that that as of 2019, Connecticut was 15% Hispanic with not quite 601,000 (of which around 26,000 were Dominican-American like Luz and her mother). Though bigotry might still be a factor and not only in a "white people are evil" way. I wonder if perhaps some Hispanics might parse nationality/area of origin in the same way that some earlier generations of African-Americans came to parse skin tone in terms of "quadroon" Octoroon and "high yeller" with the idea that the lighter the shade (and thus the closer to White) the better.

But beyond rear end in a top hat bigotry, there's other factors. We've seen no indication that Luz's father is still in the picture. So Luz's mom is a single mother, which means a single-income home with a not-especially large income. Luz isn't starving or dressed in rags, but she probably doesn't wear anything close to the latest trends or fashions and what she does wear likely leans toward cheap but durable instead of cute and cool. Her phone isn't the latest model. Even worse from her peers' perspectives, Luz doesn't care all that much about that. She's much more interested in the type of cloak the Good Witch Azora wears than why Rowen Blanchard is trending on TikTok.

And she sometimes infests her classrooms with snakes and spiders.

Figure that "reality camp" (which does seem to come a little bit uncomfortably close to a kind of "conversion" therapy) probably wasn't cheap in terms of Luz's mother's budget, but she paid anyway because she's probably a little scared for Luz. She wants Luz to focus on and become part of the real world before that real world eats her alive.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also, re: Bump and the rules, there's a thought I've had that maybe the idea of "tracks" at school actually predates the coven system, only instead of "this is the one kind of magic you'll be allowed to do for the rest of your life" it's more "okay, you're young and still learning, so here's something to focus on before you start branching out." It'd explain why Bump is willing to uphold the current status quo yet also so quick to bend it when needed; it's not that different from how he's always done things (assuming he's been teaching for significantly longer than Belos has been around, which seems likely from what we know about him.)

Also, figure Bump has already figured out that "sealing" Luz is useless. Unlike other "natural" witches, she doesn't channel magic through herself because she's human and lacks the necessary bile organ. Even if somebody did "seal" Luz to a coven she could still use the glyphs to do any magic she could figure out how to use them to do - and so could any other witch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

It's S&P approved alternative to wine/liquor/alcohol. The juice box is just the continuation of that depiction.

I just assumed that apple blood was hard apple cider.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

They get apple blood juice boxes at Hexside, so clearly in Boiling Isles culture it's acceptable to get kids on the booze early.

The peoples of the Boiling Isle aren't human. Even the human(ish) Witchlings have different internal organs. A Screwdriver to them would be like a Kickstarter Orange to us. Which opens the door to a plot where Luz accidentally gets wasted on Apple Blood and she has to piece together her previous day ala The Hangover.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

That's... not at all the vibe I got from that book.

Maybe I'm missing something but tbis doesn't seem to imply that things were lawless and savage before Belos brought order. I even double checked that the transcript was correct.

Two points.

First, that's a book owned by Eda (possibly written by Eda?), who already hates the coven system.

Second, there had to be some reasons Belos was able to get the large majority of the Boiling Isles to go along with his ideas and go along with them to the point that they presumably made him Emperor because of them. Otherwise Belos wouldn't be Emperor of the Boiling Isles so much as "Emperor" of the Boiling Isles version of the Flat Earth Society.

I mean, inertia isn't just a physical law. Most people don't like to make changes, especially big changes, to the way they do things unless there's either a clear advantage to doing so or a clear disadvantage to not doing so.

Hell we've seen that play out with climate change and COVID. Look out much a lot of people bitched about wearing masks (and often refused to do so) when the presented alternative was "get a lethal disease and/or spread that disease to other people."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 26, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gnome de plume posted:

Sure, it's not like authoritarian leaders have ever manipulated the public's perception of an imagined threat to consolidate popularity and power right

Belos manipulated the public's perception of an imagined threat to consolidate popularity and power still counts as a reason the Boiling Isles people went along with him and made him emperor.

TwoPair posted:

I have a feeling that the peoples' attitude towards Belos is kind of a "well he keeps the trains running on time" deal. No one seems particularly fond of him but considering the pre-him era is known as the Savage Ages and the few characters we know that are older than his reign (which is only 50 years mind you) like Principal Bump or Eda's mom don't seem to contradict this by going "eh it wasn't that bad" or anything, it seems that he at least brought order to a more chaotic place.

That's my take on it. Belos is a high-handed authoritarian rear end in a top hat and most folks put up with it because they don't want to go back to living every day like this except with powerful magic instead of guns.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 27, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find it weird that goons of all people are finding it hard to believe that a nice and likeable kid who happens to act weird and have a lot of energy with no satisfying output can be a friendless social pariah and branded a troublemaker by disinterested authorities. On top of her race and her family circumstances, being implicitly lesbian/bisexual (and possibly not entirely gender conforming, for that matter) probably contributes.

On another note, I didn't find the bard dude too much of an asspull if only because Eda's mentioned her ex-boyfriends enough times to be a running gag.

I'm willing to buy Luz being isolated. Still, 12-16 year old me would have crushed hard on Luz. Cute friendly energetic tomboy(not meant as a slur but that was a term for "non completely gender conforming" 35ish years ago) with that accent who's into fantasy and once traumatized a classroom by putting live spiders in griffin models? That would have been a possible soulmate there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

sliami posted:

eda could get into berghain

Eda probably used her magic door to come to Earth to help found Berghain.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

My favorite reaction to this new episode that I've seen is "yes it's finally canon!" wrt Luz and Amity, like motherfucker it's been canon since goddamn episode 10 or some poo poo. Anyway good ep.

I haven't seen the episode yet (still 35 minutes out) but maybe the commenter meant that both of them were acknowledging and accepting their relationship together instead of continuing to do the *BLUSH* "OH god! I hope Luz (and/or) Amity doesn't know I like them!"

And now that I've seen it...

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSQQQQQQQQQUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, no specific spoilers, but that was quite a lot of plot movement on multiple fronts. Hooty is the best (and the worst).

Everyone fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 31, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Man, can you imagine how much the tunnel of love ride must have sucked for Amity?
"oh. so Luz is so opposed to us being a couple that she's destroying this romantic thing that Hooty set up for us. cool. that's cool."

Hey, they made him promise never to help anyone ever again! That's on them!

Well, sure, but think about it - especially from Luz's modern Earth perspective. Setting up an elaborate "Tunnel of Love" thing for somebody you haven't even asked out comes across less as "lovely romantic gesture" and more "crazy stalker person who will eventually cut my heart out and put it in a jar in the fridge next to those of her other victims."

Plus we know that on Earth Luz was "not quite a social butterfly." Given the snakes and spiders, there's every chance that when Luz did crush on somebody she'd do some big dramatic, cheesy thing that scared them off, or, worse, ended with them mocking her humiliation. Luz really likes Amity and she pretty sure that Amity like her, so she's just desperate for things to not blow up in her face and spoil things.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

Her "I'm gonna be made fun of again" response definitely makes it sound like Luz has done at least one over the top ask-out (or something similar) in the past. That coupled with Amity's very recent history as "smart, rich, popular girl at school" and little things her insistence on their Azura Book Club being secret - it's easy to see why Luz would be cautious in how she'd ask her out. She hasn't really gotten to experience much of the Amity who keeps a grom photo of them in her sleeve while pretend-fighting abomatons.

I'm looking forward to August 18, which is when these next five episodes are supposed to drop on Disney+. I'm want to be able to really re-watch them in-depth.

It'll probably have to wait until the back half of the season, but I'll bet that Amity's mom will be less than pleased at Amity's choice of love interest. Figure the twins will think it's great, though.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 1, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

xeria posted:

Yeah, was just thinking today that surely Odalia and Alador are going to make a reappearance in S2's second half, especially considering they're clearly in favor of Belos' coven system and supplying him abomatons. Amity's romance with ~The Human~ is one of many things that put her squarely in opposition to them but it's probably a pretty big one, enough to where I wonder how much she'll try to keep everything on the down-low (not just romance but also helping Luz figure out the portal, etc.) even if only to keep her family situation from boiling over.

I'm not sure the opposition will really be from "them." He's only really shown up once, but my read on Alador is that he's a bit of a social misfit genius who's happiest puttering around his lab making cool stuff. He lets Odira run the household/business because he just doesn't want to screw with it. Still, he does have limits. He shut down Odira when she was going to try to get Gus, Luz and Willow kicked out of school again despite her deal.

Also, Alador pointed out how powerful Amity was getting. It wouldn't surprise me if he figured that what was really bringing out Amity's power was her desire to protect her "little school friend." Which makes me wonder if Alador will enlist the twins to play some (apparently) life-threatening "pranks" on Luz to bring out Amity's protective instincts (and more of her power). But in that case he'd be very supportive of Amity and Luz dating.

xeria posted:

My other thought today: boy we're 8 eps in and Willow's been almost nonexistent aside from ep2.

Problems/conflict = story. Story = screentime. Willow's main issues as presented were her relative lack of potent magic and her broken friendship with Amity. Both of those have pretty much been resolved. Unless/until Willow gets some new problems/issues her screentime will likely stay limited.

TwoPair posted:

Oh yeah, I mean she didn't want Amity having a lower-class friend, she's gonna be super pissed about having her having a girlfriend that has literally zero social standing (and is a literal other species) in the kingdom.

I think things are a little more complicated than that. There seems to be a strong undercurrent of interest in and fascination with humans in the Boiling Isles. There's a Human Appreciation Society in Hexside. Eda was apparently able to make a pretty good living selling human garbage because it was human garbage. One big reason that Bump was open to Luz attending Hexside was because she was human. Not only that, but Luz is a human who can use magic (which she used to shut down the Emperor's "petrificator" in front of a large crowd). She helped defeat a Greater Basilisk and with Amity as "co-Queen" bound Grometheus the Fear-Bringer. Plus every student who just got a new Palesman owes that to Eda and by extension to Luz.

While Luz probably doesn't have any "official" social standing like Full Witch, Baroness, etc. she's probably well known and more than somewhat popular.

And she's probably going to be more than somewhat surprised to learn that because she still tends to think of herself as the same "Luz-er" (you know damned well that some little rear end in a top hat called her that ) she was back on Earth.

TwoPair posted:

They're not supplying the abomatons of their own free will though (and we don't know how much Belos is paying versus how much they would get from their other customers) so I can honestly see them maybe flipping on Belos when the big inevitable fight goes down. The free market is stronger than any allegiance to some coven system :capitalism:

Figure that and if/when Belos comes after Amity they'll stand with her. I do admit to kind of siding with Belos on the Abomaton issue. I mean here in the USA would we really want wealthy assholes being able to drive around in fully armed M1-Abrams tanks or fly F-22A Raptors complete with missiles?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh no I totally get it! I'm not saying it doesn't make sense or it's badly written or anything. But like, from Amity's point of view, between the kiss on the cheek and the "Stay away from MY LUZ!" she made her intentions pretty clear. This must look like a pretty solid rejection to her. She looks so disconsolate as Luz goes on a rampage on the (admittedly somewhat creepy) animatronics.

I really liked that scene precisely because Luz was so caught up in her panicked embarrassment that she didn't even notice how much she was bumming Amity out. It made Luz feel more like a real teenager to me. Sometimes Luz has come off as almost "too good." Showcasing her flaws, vulnerabilities and insecurities makes Luz seem more real to me - and if anything even more lovable.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Incidentally, Hooty sure went through a lot of effort for this helping mission of his, between gathering demons to assist with King's lessons and setting up the tunnel of love (did he build it? Did he grow it inside himself?)

Do you really, honestly want to chug the 99 Octane Nightmare Fuel that will come from full answers to those questions?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

JazzFlight posted:

BTW, just gotta say I love the “curse = dealing with mental illness” symbolism in the latest ep. Really great message.

I love that Eda's current resolution is that she's a "birdier" version of "Banner-Hulk."

As far as demons go, weren't the Boilings Isle referred to as being part of "The Demon Lands" or something. I think that aside from Luz (and any other as yet unrevealed humans) everyone in the Boiling Isles is some kind of demon - including the "witchlings."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I hated that bit so much. Set up something interesting, and oh no, better instantly delay that for another while. It's frustrating storytelling.

I was okay with it. Hooty cares about Eda, Luz and King and wants good things for them, but he is kind of an irresponsible flake, so him doing that was perfectly in character.

Plus there's just two more episodes until the mid-season break. Based on the episode descriptions on IMDB, they seem to be focusing on making a new portal to Earth so there probably wouldn't be room for that and King's father. I'd rather they wait and do that story justice rather than trying to cram it in immediately.

KingKalamari posted:

Man, I just love how there was absolutely no possible way Hooty could have possibly set up The Tunnel of Love by himself and how he accomplished it is never even questioned.

Why would there be no possible way for Hooty to do that? We really don't know what "house demons" can or cannot do. However, changing the internal structure/furnishings/decorations in their houses seems like a reasonable ability for them to have. Honestly the bigger "deal-questioner" for me was how he got Amity to the house in the first place. It looked a bit like he just kidnapped her out of her own (presumably well-protected) house.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

It seems like based on their sales pitch, the abomatons are designed solely to be big purple home security systems rather than real weapons. That said, kinda like a guard dog, it doesn't matter what they're designed/trained for, a giant purple goo monster is a giant purple goo monster and I'm sure they could (and definitely will) be weaponized by any rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent.

Well, not any rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent. Just one. Because figure Belos very much counts as a rich rear end in a top hat with ill intent.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I got the curse=mental illness parallel in the past (the elixir as a metaphor for meds wasn't subtle) but I didn't pick up anything in particular from this. If anything painting the curse as another entity inside of Eda confused it a bit.

Maybe the idea of reaching some level of tolerance/acceptance of your atypical mental nature is better than exhausting yourself trying to be "completely normal" in all ways at all times?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kidcoelacanth posted:

New ep:

Amity going full MY GIRLFRIEND mode is very funny
Fight scene good

Sick Luz was pretty fun, too. And Dragonclaw Z was cute, too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

JazzFlight posted:

Some fun thoughts on ep 9:
-Is it just me, or was the “Hey, Steve!” possibly a little silly Homestar Runner reference?
-Also, is it just me or are they leaning into the Amity = Katara’s voice actress and now she’s a water bender w her abomination slime bottle on her hip?

I'm not familiar with Homestar Runner but likely Dana Terrace is so maybe?

As far the idea of Amity = Katara's VA so "Abomination bending" = water bending, I'm less certain about that. The Abomination Track is basically the "monster maker" track. So, unless Amity can manipulate the slime stuff as she does, it takes away from her ability to be a legitimate action character. Before she became (was revealed to be) one of the good guys, it was okay that she had a pet monster-thing where she could point it at an enemy and say "Get 'em!" Now that she is one of the good guys (and Luz's full-on ride-or-die girlfriend) Amity needs some ability that lets her act more directly in action stuff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Quinton posted:

I'm not convinced that Belos is the author of the book... partially because it seems just too straightforward, partially because why would he have left the book in the library, etc... not sure how his actions fit.

But I do think that Hunter may be intended as a backup body for Belos (and consider the matching ear notch interesting). Hunter seems to have memory of a family, but perhaps that's implanted. Could Belos have been constructed by the author using the same technique (which is hitting the end of its useful lifespan?).

Random observation: Belos' eyes are drawn without reflections. As are those of Kikimora and King (demonic characters), but not of Luz, or any of the Witches (that I'm aware of). Hunter's eyes are in the reflection style. Not sure if there's any significance to any of that...

Well, one thing to recall is that we seem to be in the early portions of the book. Figure a good portion of what we're reading/hearing is/will be the author trying (and failing) to find ways back to the human realm. We don't know what might happen with the author's personality and outlook as he gets more frustrated as time goes on with failure after failure. One interesting thing I noted is that Belos just seemed to want to get to the human realm to get there, not because he had some other goal (like conquest). He seemed quite wistful speaking about the human realm and how kind of gross/awful the Boiling Isles were by comparison.

Meanwhile, I would not a bit surprised if Hunter's roll in Belos's plans was as some version of the racrefice

The_Doctor posted:

Weirdly, the latest ep has completely failed to appear on :filez: at all yet.

I'm kind of okay with that. Sure, gently caress Disney, more money than God, but apparently one key to getting more Owl House (expanded 3rd season or additional 4th season) is the show racking numbers on Disney+. FYI, eps 1-5 of this season are already there and eps 6-10 drop on Disney+ on Aug. 18.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 8, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Animation's lead time means something like this is unlikely to happen. Beyond which, this show was too gay to survive under Disney's gentle auspices IMO.

If TOH was "too gay" to survive under Disney, it never would have made it on the air in the first place. At the least we wouldn't have the second season we've had with Luz and Amita outright becoming girlfriends. Honestly, if anything, maybe TOW is too "straight" AKA conventional to survive.

Marvel's What If? drops this Wednesdays. In that spirit let's took a look into Universe B. In Universe B there's also a show called The Owl House. That show is about a Latinx boy named Luis who's into fantasy stuff. Basically everything that happens in that Owl House is the same as in ours except that instead of a bi-sexual girl named Luz, the main character is a straight boy named Luis.

Do we still give a poo poo about the show at that point or do we pretty much dismiss it as a Disney Harry Potter rip-off?

Cattail Prophet posted:

I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at how easily Hunter's flimsy rear end BS got to Amity. It was a stark reminder that for as far as she's come, her self worth is still incredibly fragile.

I didn't really take it as self-worth - at least at the end. Hunter pretty much just told Amity the truth, which was "Yeah, here and now you can beat my rear end into the ground. But Belos will learn about the key and he'll have no problem in terms of either conscience or power with killing all of you to take it."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 8, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

I mean I would? I liked the comedy in it from episode 1, the gay is just a nice add-on.

I'll say that the gay/bi elements did put the show on my "I should check that out" radar and that was thanks to this site.

I'd clicked past the show a few times prior to that and it didn't grab me. Even after hearing about it here, I mostly tuned it to see if the show would have the stones ovaries to really commit to the LGBTQ elements or if it'd be something like Endgame's "Hi, I'm a nameless sad dude who dates other dudes. Welp, bye, good luck with the Unsnap-"

Turns out that Dana Terrace and co. have big honkin' ovaries of solid titanium because "gently caress, yes" did they fully commit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

Amity got a promotion from Mittens to Boots!

She's got her eyes on the prize. Next up will be Snow Hat and after that, Parka.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

Still bi, now in a love triangle with Gus and Hunter.

You guys do what you want for universes C - ZZZZ3.

I wanted to explore the question of what other interesting flavors are in this dish we call The Owl House if we can no longer "taste the Rainbow?"

There are some. Wendie Malick is near-perfect as Eda. And there's also King growing from pet/child/comic relief to a full character trying to learn who he is and where he's from. Gus, Willow and Bump would be fun. Amity would still break my heart a little bit. Ironically, the character I probably wouldn't be able to stand would be "Luis."

Which brings me back to Luz. Luz, is kind and brave and cheerful and friendly and curious and fun-loving and unselfish and... well, you get the idea.

I kind of wish that Luz the Human was a little more of an imperfect human. The Queer elements of the show help with that. We like Amity and Luz together because it's so clear that Amity desperately needs the unconditional love and acceptance of somebody like Luz. Plus gay/bi teens in an actual relationship is extremely new for children's TV shows.

There's nothing wrong with being Queer, there's nothing "right" about it either. Having a non-straight sexual orientation or a non-CiS gender identity doesn't automatically make you a paragon of humanity. You'll still be as prone to pride, selfishness, greed and all the other human frailties as any other straight/CiS person.

Plus, I don't know and I don't think the show meant to send this message, but I don't think that "It's fine if you're gay or bi as long as you approach perfection in every other aspect of your life." is a good thought to convey.

Don't get me wrong, I like the show a lot. For that matter I like Luz a lot, though I'll admit that probably my favorite Luz moment came from last Saturday's episode with her freaking out and wrecking the "Tunnel of Love" while missing that Amity was getting sadder and more down.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 9, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

KingKalamari posted:

The only thing I was disappointed about in the new episode:

The ending didn't have one more line from Hunter commenting on his palisman having a sailor mouth...

Gotta save something for next Saturday.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

"Bad but sad boy" is a spot on description for Hunter.

It was very cute how Amity kept going on and on about how she was Luz's girlfriend, and that as her girlfriend it was her duty to do this, and did she mention that she and Luz were girlfriends by the way?

Aside from all the usual super-intense first teen love feels, Luz cares about Amity as Amity as opposed others like her folks who "care" about Amity for what she does/achieves. Figure if her folks try to screw that up, Amity's going to push back hard.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now I'm just picturing Eda thoroughly enjoying herself.

"Ah... Amity and Luz are on one of their quest-dates. King's in the woods blowing stuff up by squeaking at it. And Hooty's busy doing... something with the basement. Time for mama and a couple quarts of quality stank Apple Blood to go super-Owlbeast-Saiyan through the 80s power of video Jazzercise."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I liked what we learned about Vee. I'm glad that "evil Luz" wasn't evil at all but kind of a mirror to Luz, going into a strange new world because her life in her old world sucked. I also liked Vee upbraiding Luz for leaving what Vee considered to be something like paradise. I suspect that Luz/Vee is more popular and gets better grades that Luz because she wanted to be the best "Luz" she kind to repay Camilla's unknowing kindness

As for Luz it was interesting that the second she established that Vee wasn't part of some evil Belos plot, she was perfectly happy to exploit her shifting ability to keep her mother in the dark for a while longer. Even after she learned that Vee was a Basilisk AKA the thing that had tried to eat Hexside. Also fun was Luz trying to warn Vee away from the "terrible" high school students and Vee just approaching them with no problem (partly because she apparently knew them from that camp). Still, it does make one wonder how much of Luz's social problem was kind of on Luz for not making real efforts to reach out to others because she was more interested in her magic/fantasy stuff.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Also convenient that Camila drove her there so she could pick up on all her mannerisms/learn through context what Luz is "supposed" to act like so that when she came back it wouldn't seem suspicious. Also probably picked up enough Spanish to keep up whenever Camila starts mixing in stuff here and there.

I hope we occasionally touch base with Vee and Camilla occasionally with the idea of seeing Camilla "adopting" Vee as a second daughter.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jassa posted:

Oh crap, I just found out the show's on hiatus now. No expected release date for Season 2B yet 😭

I wouldn't expect anything before January.

OTOH, Amphibia's third season arrives Oct. 2. It brings the feels - if not necessarily the gay feels.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

They were up last night!

poo poo. Forgot that. Well, I have a stay-cation coming up so I can an in-depth rewatch of Season Two thus far.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Madurai posted:

It's because she's a Wholesome Magic Sweetheart. Secret Romantic Nerd.

Either of those, I think.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

Is the show taking a break?

Yes. I wouldn't expect new episodes before January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when seasons meant anything?

Would you want the season to "mean something" by slapping it together with Flash-era CGI? Animation takes time. I'd rather they take that time and give us well-written, well-acted and well-drawn shows.