Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I never had a PS3 during its own lifetime. I got a Xbox 360 back in December 2007 as a friend had one and we played Gears of War. I didn't have a console since the SNES so I was completely disconnected with them (besides a launch GBA and a PSP1000 and PSP2000). I choose the Xbox 360 because I had a couple of coworkers I wanted to play Gears of War with, ended getting CoD4 aswell and I joined SA in time to join the MW2 goon squad to terrorize pubbies. Never had a beef or was a console fanboy and I could have gotten a PS3 but I've been a main PC user up until the PS4 Slim (2016) that got me hooked properly to console gaming.

This is my PS3 (launch backwards compatible):

I got it last year (on september) from a good friend and coworker that had it, fortunately, stored in a box and barely used. He just plugged it once or twice a year at his parent's when he visited them. He gave me the console and one DS3.

I had Demon's Souls (digital) from a sale years ago as I could play sometimes on a friend's PS3 and got one of the last PS3 sales making it 4.99€ and is the only game installed right now on it's 60gb drive. I started getting some used games last christmas and have a bunch I want to get for both collectors and curiosity. I want to get Haze, Wolfenstein 09 (I already beat it on PC) and a few others. I may go and try get CoD4 MW to complete the collection (I own them on my Xbox360). I want to get a bunch more games and of course, have a spare 250gb SSD HDD laying around unused from my PC and even if it doesn't really benefit I may go plug it or get a bigger spinny one. I'm wondering if it's worth going the "modding" route with it, if it lets me just install the whole disc and ignore the drive.

I'm open for suggestions and may try get some PS2/PS1 games aswell since this can play anything.

And yes QoP, that is TNA Impact! that I bought on release for my 360 and had to get it again on PS3. SEΡIOR JOE, THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

not Re-Armed, the reboot by Grin. It's actually my favorite PS3 game next to Warhawk (which I never owned physically).

Just as you posted this, I was getting a copy (trusted seller and in great condition) off ebay. I beat that game on PC years ago and loved it. :dance:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I do believe it also has the most uncomfortably satisfying title menu screen I've ever come across.

Talk about being lucky. The seller had Killzone 1 (PS2 for 9.90€) in amazing condition, Battlefield 3 (3.4€), Haze (6€) and the already mentioned Bionic Commando (6.54€). That's a great haul and I hope everything arrives well. I'll post a pic of my complete order!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Konami has awesome IPs that are pretty much dead now. They even made their last one a F2P game, Pro Evolution Soccer is no more. Now it'll be eFootball (without the PES) F2P and you'll have to pay for game modes.

At least if the Master League mode is cheap and they keep updating the game through the years being a F2P it may be worth playing for that bit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I wanted to get the physical releases of the MGS series on PS3 (probably expensive nowadays), wich releases should I look for? Getting a cheap PS3 copy of MGSV is easy already but, what about the others?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dog nougat posted:

The MGS Legacy Collection.
If you can find a new, sealed copy it comes with codes for PS1 MGS and MGS:VR. Everything else is included on the discs. MG1 and MG2 are part of MGS3 if I recall correctly.

Edit: looks like you can get supposedly new and sealed for $30 on ebay

39.90€ the cheapest sealed off Ebay. Not bad considering how rare it should be at this point.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s a lot of game for €40

I've only ever played a bit of MGS1 (ps1 emulation) and a bit of MGSV so I basically know nothing about the series. I'm not a fan of stealth games (cept Dishonored) so even if that's a lot of game, 40€ is quite a lot too for a bunch of games that I don't know if I'll ever play.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CEX have MGS4 for €5, deffo worth that 👀👀👀👀
https://es.webuy.com/product-detail...of-the-patriots

Now we're talking. :eyepop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Since I have this 250Gb SSD laying around unused (not even as external storage)... Should I just replace my PS3's 60Gb one with it? I know that the SSD isn't going to make a big difference but right now the 60Gb one is going to be small for the incoming purchases.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

dog nougat posted:

May as well. 250Gb is still pretty small if you intend to download anything from the store. Some games (GT6) have some pretty big installs. If I recall, you need to use a USB drive formatted to FAT32 or something to install a new drive.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with HDD replacements with my PS4 (1TB SSD) and reinstalling the OS via USB drive. What's the size limitation for internal drives on PS3? Might check for a cheap 500gb or something (toshiba ones usually go for under 30€).

The only digital purchase I have is Demon's Souls and I'll basically just play some physical games I'm getting off Ebay that will be a one and done. Demon's Souls is the only "keeper" as I can uninstall the rest if needed. I think I have a bunch of PS+ games but none of them really interesting.

My Xbox360 has a 320gb HDD (old arcade model with a custom HDD on the awful HDD case they used) and considering that I have dozens of digital games I still have free space.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 28, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Not running CFW yet and I want to talk about that but I don't know if this thread is the right place or I should just try on the PS Goon discord instead.

Edit: Just found out that I have MGS4 (November 2020, no idea if PS+ or purchase) just when my physical copy of MGS4 arrived :laffo: Gonna need to check what I have on my download list...

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 28, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Does the PS3 have a backup option like the PS4 before I do a HDD swap? Just so I can install the new HDD, install the OS via USB, and then plug an external with my backup and restore everything.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool ty, I have a bunch of old HDDs I can use for that and I'll only backup Demon's Souls and my settings. Don't mind leaving the thing on some hours.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers thank you!

Edit: looks like I'll be better just using a LAN cable and re-download Demon's Souls after the HDD swap since it doesn't back up games.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jul 29, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I bought the Dead Space trilogy on steam to play on my baller gaming laptop with a 144hz monitor and the whole stupid loving thing is locked at 30fps and looks 0% better than the PS3 version without screwing around with mods. It's ridiculous.

Mouse aiming is going to get hosed if you don't do a few tweaks:

-First off, disable in-game v-sync. Force it through nvidia control panel (or ATI one) so you can play at locked 60fps.

-Mouse fix https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/840-dead-space-mouse-fix/ easy and fast to install. If you are going to play it with a controller on PC you don't need it at all.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Space For some more tweaks if you want.

Dead Space 2 and 3 on PC are good ports and you don't need to change a thing. Maybe tweaking the FoV but if you liked the default one on console, then keep it as it is. 2 and 3 are way better on PC than on consoles (PS360) because of proper 1080p (or higher) resolutions, faster load times and of course mouse aiming.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gun crafting was nuts but drags late on. Dead Space 1 is amazing but some of the QoL and new stuff from 2 put the sequel a bit over the rest.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played Dead Space 3 co-op with a goon and there were some legit great mind-fucks created for co-op like monsters that only show up for one of the players and so. Co-op is drat fun but yeah, it takes away from 1/2 more horror oriented feel. 2 has the best gameplay of all three.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

You basically need a co-op partner for the third one.

Yeah, I replayed 3 last year and it is far worse alone than with a partner.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Where's my PS2 thread? I need to talk about Gitaroo Man.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902050&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

There you go :buddy:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, it is pretty good, fairly cinematic but can also be played co-op like the first game. First game's co-op is much longer though and features a wider array of challenges and wide-open spaces, jeep levels, etc. RFoM is one of my favorite 2 player games and is as close to a 'Halo-killer' as Sony ever got. Funny that they kept chasing the dragon for a few more years yet until everyone simultaneously decided Halo sucked.

As someone that has been mainly a PC player up until the PS4 (have a lot of 360 games but still), when Halo came out on PC it felt like poo poo. Carrying two weapons, moving extremely slow (and floaty) and an horrible 2nd half of the game with the flood didn't help for me. So far I've played Halo 1 (PC), Halo 3 and Reach (Xbox 360) and I still don't like them at all. I can get that when Halo CE came out on Xbox, FPS on consoles were... rough but every Halo game never had enough quality against PC releases.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have no fondness for older consoles as I only had a SNES before my 2007 Xbox360. For me local multiplayer in late 90's and early 2000's were with desktops (or a laptop from 2003 onwards), and a lan hub.

While I missed Goldeneye and such games I played to death Quake 2, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 and of course Half-Life mods on lan (and online). Nowadays local multiplayer is something that almost never happen and I talk pre-covid. Maybe some day with my 3 DS4 and wired hori gamepad I can host a SoR4 4-player local session :unsmith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I was about to ask if talking about how to install CFW is cool in here or not, because I'd love to give my PS3 some love.

And since I'm going to install a 500Gb HDD on it, dies CFW allow for full installs to not need the disc afterwards?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

MrMario's video guide made it very easy to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QldjWRGH0wA

There's one for HEN if you're on a Superslim or w/e too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGS_Ryx_7r8

You can dump your discs to HDD/USB and run them from there, but any 'in game installs' still need to happen unless you feel like editing the executables to point to the install packages on the disc and pray it works.

Gonna give them a look, thanks!

Yeah I don't mind 'in game installs", what I want is to dump the disc and run it even if it needs to use extra HDD for its install. That being possible is nice.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 11, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Last week I did an Ebay sweep and spent 58€... :shepspends:

The most expensive was Killzone for the PS2 and is on fantastic conditions, manual, disc... for 10€

I already have Vanquish and Armored Core 4 and AC4A on my Xbox 360 so, I wonder what should I aim for next... Maybe AssCreed Revelations to complete the Ezio Trilogy? I played a bit of Black Flag on my 360 (Xbox Gold) and looked really fun too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Playing Killzone (PS2) on my PS3 using the disc. Looks absolutely horrible (last I played that game was in 2005 on a hacked PS2) but feels amazing to actually be able to run old stuff on this machine from a DVD.

I'll get a 500gb HDD and slap CFW on this beauty soon :getin:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah the control scheme on Killzone is weird but at the same time is fully customizable to modern standards (you can remap every button but the dpad). The only lovely thing is that the vertical aim sensitivity is about 0.33x of the horizontal axis but you can adjust it to taste too.

Definitely gonna get the HD edition or whatever just to not play it in an horrible aspect ratio. I'll do the CFW and HDD swap at the end of this month when I get two weeks off so I can at least play some.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any tips on deep cleaning DS3s? The used ones I got are pretty grimy.

If you are not going to open them completely, I use a plastic pry tool (the ones you'd use to open all kinds of controllers, phones or consoles) to clean up the small joint between the front and back body parts. A q-tip with some alcochol for the base of the stick and for the rest a toothbrush or one of these makeup remover discs with alcohol (enough that it doesn't drip). Always avoid using metal tools as you'll end denting the plastic on any controller.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Hal it was really funny when you messaged me a while ago about me playing Binary Domain.

Keeping that ps3 alive!

You just reminded me to get a copy of Binary Domain on PS360! I loved that game on PC. Big Bo knows... :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

IIRC Armored Core 4 is rear end on 360, good on PS3 and the opposite is true for For Answer. Bayonetta got patched but it's still the worst version.

Aaaand then there's Shadow of Mordor.

I own AC4 and 4A on my 360 so how does it work?

AC4 PS3 > Xbox360
AC4A Xbox360 > PS3 ?

Binary Domain PS3 is expensive on Ebay, the Xbox 360 one is way cheaper (and easier) to get. Next week when I get some days off, I'll get that new HDD for my PS3. There's a 500gb Toshiba for 28€ on Amazon (best seller) but some people reported that they're refurbished or not coming with the original package while for 32€ there's a 500Gb Seagate Barracuda direct from the manufacturer (or 41€ for 1tb). Any recommendations?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cool. If I get PS3 copies along with my 360 ones is for pure hoarding. I tried playing AC4 and AC4A years ago and bounced really hard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Binary Domain is criminally underrated imo. Has a bunch of different endings and some of the characters are drat cool. The actual shooting was surprisingly fun.

Big Bo is a treasure.

(really minor spoiler but don't watch if you didn't play it yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m7QjqemJRc

:allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

everyones ps3 game collection look the same

That's not actually a bad thing. I'm a newer PS3 user so I tend to get some games that I liked from that generation, some exclusives (like Resistance or Killzone) and avoid getting games that they got remastered/uodated on PS4 like Vanquish/Bayonetta that I own the special Steelbook or Yakuza games.

Other than that I think I'm the only that has TNA Impact! on both PS3 and Xbox 360 but because I'm a wrassling nerd. I own Stranglehold on both consoles and the fixed PC release (GOG) because Cho Yun-Fat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

two consoles with no games :hai:

Make that three:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaWZLOll4cY

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Call of Duty games are still active too. Black Ops 2 is easy to find games for.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

AliExpress? I've replaced my old rear end Nexus 7 2013 battery and works perfectly 2 years after. And I was tempted on getting better batteries for my Dualshock 4 but since I play next to my PC playing via USB is not an issue.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Updated collection with a few tittles:

-Wolfenstein 2009
-Singularity
-FEAR 2
-Battlefield 4
-Midnight Club
-PES 2008
-PES 2009
-FIFA World Cup 2010
-Fifa 11

(yes, a lot of football games but I'm trying to collect them and they sell them for something like 0.5-1€ each lol)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nice! Fear 2 and Singularity are nice quick FPS games. I started Wolfenstein and I’m gonna finish it over Christmas.

Wolfenstein 2009 is a pretty fun game. You can't purchase it on PC anymore because of license fuckery but it's a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein and nuWolf games continue from where it left. There's a bunch of mods for the PC version (you can find it around) that tweak some stuff making it even more fun with better powers and weapons.

I beat Singularity and FEAR (the entire series) on PC too, just collecting. I'll look around for FEAR 1 and 3 PS3 releases.

Bionic Commando front and center fuckin a right :blastu:

:hai:

The Bloodborne boxes are the card game + expansion. Fairly cheap to get both (around 40 eurobucks for them) and looks like it has better reviews than the board game (that goes for a hundred eurobucks lol). I want to do some old school board game nights with my old group now that everyone is vaccinated and well, I'll be free from studying and training, just working.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Doubleposting because I got a bunch of games from coworkers that they had lying around :woop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hal Insandenza posted:

These posts are reminding me that I forgot to order al the PS3 games I was thinking about getting. Perhaps now is the time?

Do it! :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm done for a while I promise. 22.5€ total (the 5 football games were 0.5€ each haha)

PES from 2008 to 2013 complete (2014 used FOX engine and only ran well on PS4/Xbone)
FIFA from World Cup 2010, then 11 to 14 done already (14 on PS4/Xbone had the newer Ignite engine until they switched to Frostbite). Not going to get older FIFA (missing 08, 09 and 10) atm.
Completed the MW trilogy with CoD4MW and MW3. I only miss World at War from the true PS360 era (Ghosts was garbage anyways and ran better on PS4/Xbone).
Far Cry 2, 3, and 4 done (never liked Primal anyways).
Gran Turismo 5 because ??? I always liked more arcadey racers but for 3€ why not?

CEX, at least in Spain has a massive stock of PS360 games and except certain hard to find games, all super cheap, more so than Ebay or any other store so far. :shepspends:

Last night, before going to bed, spent like an hour playing FIFA World Cup 2010 then switched to Far Cry 2 and that was time-travel experience.