Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
For the OP:

=======================

What we know so far (16 August 2021)

Covid is airborne and spread through respiratory exhalations. The Delta variant has been proven to be able to be transmitted outdoors in less than a second's contact.

[data, words & details]

Unmasked, aersolized (>4um) droplets take about 12 feet to hit the ground if they aren't suspended in the air.

[source---from the study that gave us "6 feet for social distancing" from like the 1960s or whatever]

Surgical masks are about 40% effective at blocking exhaled aerosols. Well-fit N95s, 95%. Well-fit respirators, 100%.

[maybe a link to youtubes?]

Some coverings like bandanas may actively worsen exhalations (decrease droplet size) while filtering nothing

[maybe a link to youtubes?]

Vaccinated people can catch the virus. They have a lower chance of catching the virus, but once it is caught, while the chance of severe symptoms is decreased, the CFR is the same as unvaccinated.

[source]

Vaccinated people are as contagious as unvaccinated people whether symptomatic or asymptomatic.

[source, details]

Children can catch the virus as easily as adults. The apparent lower infection rates last year were due to lack of testing of children + reduction in typical means of social contact

[source, details]

Children are as contagious as adults.

[source, details]

Long Covid is a real and concerning consequence of this disease. It especially attacks the heart, brain, and reproductive organs.

[source, details]

Children are significantly more prone to Long Covid than adults

[source, details]

=======================

What am I missing? What do I have wrong or in accurately stated?

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

just link the leaked CDC slide deck, it's everything and more to show the dangers from both the virus and the administration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/cdc-breakthrough-infections/94390e3a-5e45-44a5-ac40-2744e4e25f2e/

I was thinking it would be clearer to have explicit statements of fact requiring no analysis or thought. A + B = C. What's actually currently thought to be known without caveat.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Wait, what did I miss? Study claiming the exact opposite just made the rounds in Danish media a few days ago. :lmao:

UK data over the last like forever

Iirc first conclusions were 10-12% of infected kids (whether symptomatic or asymptomatic) get long covid but most recent estimate I saw ballparked it at 8%

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Got my Only Trust Your Respirator shirt

Fits good, feels good

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

My sister in law got married about a month ago and we have been ostracized for not coming (my wife had been matron of honor). If that 150 person Pittsburgh wedding wasn’t enough, just found out they just got back from a week long honeymoon on a cruise.

If they don’t see any consequences yet again I don’t know. Why are we torturing ourselves. Is covid even real. The world is a gently caress

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Went out to dinner indoors in downtown Chicago :coolfish: probably should get a booster soon though

(We went from 4-6 and left right when more people started showing up)

So from what I’ve gleaned. You have unvaccinated kids. Your wife has not cared at all about quarantining or protecting the kids or you. You read all of the information in this thread. But you haven’t changed much at all in the way of your normal behaviors. Is this wrong? The biggest conflict I remember was you had a pool party and locked yourself inside or something but the kids and wife were mingling with all the friends and fam?

Not calling you out to be rude. You just really give me this sense of whiplash when I read your posts. I don’t understand you.

The only thing I take issue with is giving advice recommending people put kids in school for social interaction when you aren’t protecting yours.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

This is the riskiest thing I've done by far, I've mainly given up and very much changed behavior. I went out once to dinner in mid March, pre Delta, after being fully vaccinated when capacity limits were in place. The pool party was someone else but my wife also went to the pool and I hid on a chair with a hat over my head after being freaked out , about a year ago.

Still masking n95 on transit and grocery stores and museums and in outdoor crowds; my kid will have kf94s for school, not going to go to packed bars or restaurants. But mostly empty ones? gently caress it sure

Covid isn't going away. My kid probably won't be vaccinated til next year . It isn't that big a deal in northern Illinois, yet. I'll booster each October.

Different evaluations of risk I guess. We’re continuing to quarantine (curbside restaurants, grocery delivery or curbside, date nights in, etc) until our kid is vaxxed. Kudos to you, it’s an enormous challenge to read this thread and then take a mask off in public like in a restaurant a few feet from the next table or where someone could pass by unmasked at any second. I’m more of an all or nothing sort of person I guess.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

I'm gonna admit half the reason I posted this is to antagonize people. This isnt Melbourne, covid zero isn't happening. Frankly if vaccines were online for kids I might have played it safe but I'm dispirited about the "mid Winter" expectations for it

Ha! Well it worked. Surreal tho. You have all the same info I do, unlike the typical lib or chud.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

the water recedes far into the ocean

revealing all the mud and muck and trash near the shore

adult children cry out with joy, and rush to play in the refuse

a vast and uncompromising wall rises up

heavy and solid, accelerating, inevitable

savor and suffer every moment of anticipation

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

literally, word for word, just had someone say "Covid is over. It's only in people's heads, now."

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

my work is having CVS come by to give people vaccines. i haven't provided proof of vaccination to HR so that they can't strip me of my mask. should i use the pop up vaccination to get a booster? i'm thinking yes, if there's a good way to get away with it

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org

can someone make an updated GIF?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

a COVID thread original. i call it "LMAO: You Can Only Watch"

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

thanks! Ohio is doomed!

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

thedavid posted:

So I thought I'd ask my cspam virologists their opinion....

I'm fully vaxxed with that sweet moderna slut juice, as is my wife. We have three kids at home that are under 12, which doesn't matter because kids don't get covid.

Anyway, I have had headaches for the past three days, as well as a light cough. Last night I've gotten some awesome sore throat that's persisted through today.

My littlest, 1 year old, has been a snot factory and has been in general irritable for the past few days. Too young to tell us what's wrong.

I have been masking (no respirator crew) and have been wondering if I should be getting a test and if we should be quarantining.

At the same time, two of the kids go to school starting next week, and it's a "highly recommended but not mandated mask rule" district. So I figure we're going to get it anyway.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Should I get a test?

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/new-top-5-covid-symptoms#part_1

What are the symptoms of COVID-19 if you’re fully vaccinated?

Here is the current ranking of COVID symptoms after 2 vaccinations:

Headache
Runny nose
Sneezing
Sore throat
Loss of smell

The previous ‘traditional’ symptoms as still outlined on the government website, such as anosmia (loss of smell), shortness of breath and fever rank way down the list, at 5, 29 and 12 respectively. A persistent cough now ranks at number 8 if you’ve had two vaccine doses, so is no longer the top indicator of having COVID.

Curiously, we noticed that people who had been vaccinated and then tested positive for COVID-19 were more likely to report sneezing as a symptom compared with those without a jab.

If you’ve been vaccinated and start sneezing a lot without an explanation, you should get a COVID test, especially if you are living or working around people who are at greater risk from the disease.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

thedavid posted:

Thanks for that. I did got to the cdc website and did their little wizard thing and it was like "LOL. LMAO. Call a doc I guess?"

So of course I posted to cspam.

the only risk we take, that we're forced to take, is that i come to work every day since 6/1.

this morning the guy in the office not far from me would. not. stop. sneezing.

multiple people with persistent coughs.

just the summer flu season! open biden

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

The other day my wife let a neighbor that we were talking to in the driveway hold our baby because he put on a mask so it was safe.

A cloth mask, and the guy is vaxxed but followed CDC guidelines and has been acting like 2019 since May. We uh, did not agree on that.

Just imagining this sends me into a panic and a rage. Thank all the gods my partner and I are on the same page

Your kid is a loving newborn!!!!!!!! gently caress!!!

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

The only family that was quarantining as hard as us for their same age toddler has started to take unacceptable risks so now my wife will really be alone all day. Really tough emotionally, socially, for the kid’s socialization. No idea what to do. I suggested something like posting a jitsi link in this thread or via PMs but our kid doesn’t pay much attention to computer screens, not the same.

Thinking we’ll just focus on making the basement a great playground for him and rotate the equipment out frequently so it stays fresh. Wife doesn’t have many pastimes and no like online socialization. Had to stop working while pregnant then a week after the kid was born went into lockdown so no job hunt.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

i switched pediatricians recently because after the CDC mask burning party our old pediatrician honest to god fought us to put on a loving mask during the last appointment. so i haven't been to the new pediatrician yet.

how do i ask them for off label covid vaccine for my kid without coming off as a kook or loony and instead like a responsible parent?

18 month appointment is mid Sept

was thinking of submitting a question through their online portal: can you please evaluate our child for off label administration of pfizer covid-19 vaccine based on the recent FDA approval?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

No big changes, but posting anyway.

Today

Yesterday

covidactnow.org

delaware been full red for a couple days and NJ is lighting up finally

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

Saagar (Breaking Points, formerly The Rising) has COVID and mentioned this morning that (roughly) "Delta is very infectious and I could have gotten it anywhere" and since he was vaccinated that definitely helped him have a mild case so he "didn't seek medical care to not overburden the system" and then uses those correct points to continue wanting schools to open.

Like I know he's a moron but it's amazing to see people list all the reasons that kids shouldn't be in school: highly infectious, no vaccine, overburdened already medical system == open schools? loving wild.

the only good thing about those shows ever has been krystal ball because she can convey authenticity and even she rides this weird line sometimes like a glenn greenwald or jimmy dore like almost libertarian except on the left, a tainted socdem, idk. deliberate branding ofc in order to maximize viewership

haven't watched almost since the dem primary, just remember episodes without Krystal were total trash. tried Breaking Points a few times but the covid poo poo just completely pissed me off.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

if someone does find a tele-doc that is down, lemme know.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I'm overwhelmed with sadness and despair more than anger and frustration lately.

i've found myself drifting away from the new and interesting activities i used to ground myself throughout this insanity

also emotionally paralyzed finding all i can do at times is doomscroll this thread

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

my work is having a pop up pfizer vaccine clinic through cvs this thursday (i did pfizer through walgreens in late march + late april). the sign up is through the cvs website. i signed up, didn't provide insurance info or driver's license info, as my first shot (not third). we'll see how it goes

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

What are some clear familiar brief analogies to show why you can’t divide by total number vaccinated in order to calculate breakthrough %?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

Who wants to know HHS numbers? Updated at 9am

75% of beds Inpatient beds nationwide are in use.
18% of those are COVID related.
77% of ICU Staffed beds are full - AL is at 102%, MS and FL are at 94%, TX/GA at 93%, with another 11 states at or above 80% ICU occupancy

what is normal? is there historic data? thinking about that chud talking point that hospitals are usually understaffed so "full"

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

NYC data also still consistent with an overall CFR of 1.4%, hospitalization rate of ~8% and hospitalization death rate of ~20%. This seems very similar to last year. Guessing the main impact of the vaccines is to drastically increase the number of asymptomatic and unreported cases. Once a case is detected and tested the likelihood of hospitalization and death is about the same pre-vaccine. Possibly because mostly unvaccinated people are still getting hospitalized and dying.

The vaccines are just like the magic surfactant chemical they used after Deepwater Horizon to make the oil invisible

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

What an incredible time to decide to go to Wawa. The parking lot is popular location for the local car moders to netflix and chill or whatever. So there were some of them there tonight. The highway next to the parking lot is being repaved and has at least 10 separate state patrol cars of brave troops bored out of their minds stealing triple overtime of my tax dollars protecting the construction crews. From the parking lot alone you could see the lights from 5 of their tahoes. One of the driftyboys decides it's a genius idea to start doing donuts in the parking lot. Cops didn't like that so two of them roll into the parking lot to plant drugs and summary execute this person. Well the car guy decides the best action is to peel out from the parking lot and try to escape the cops.

If only he knew cops have no jurisdiction over private parking lots and he could have made bank suing them for illegal arrest.

can i just tell you how much i appreciate wawa curbside? app amazing, ultra quick. even for like a half gallon of milk or whatever, takes 3 seconds.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

just got my 3rd pfizer shot at work. the signup was through work but through the CVS website. i did the no insurance thing but then when i got to the conference room they wanted my insurance info. i was like "ahh i don't have it" and the HR lady who was coordinating the vax clinic said she'd give the group number from her card. oh well.

hoping this doesn't knock me flat. the first two shots were extremely mild for me.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

brugroffil posted:

No it won't

I’m like 100 pages behind but have to say, just generally, this thread has underpredicted how bad things got. Sure, inaccurate on a number of things, but in general and going back to early 2020, not doomer enough.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

I’m over two days post booster and the only side effect was arm felt like hit by a baseball bat.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

WaryWarren posted:

NOLA is the only city worth a drat in this $hithole country. gently caress.

Having lived in Louisiana for three years, I don’t understand. What the heck are you people who love it talking about? Louisiana is the most backward state in the USA (completely captured by oil & gas, horrifying wealth disparity, to begin a long list) and NOLA is mediocre at the very best.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Flying for the first time since 2019 and the guy next to us on the plane did the whole "If I eat and drink constantly I don't have to wear a mask" move.

Before we pulled away from the gate I bought another respirator and a shitload of p100 filters from zoro and had them shipped to our destination so my girlfriend has one to wear on the flight back lmao

holy hell that would be so stressful. just have to trust you're protected.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

Since we're exchanging CRACK/PINGS and other helpful ideas here anyway:

How do you goons deal with your hair?
Mine is so long now I can tie it up into a pony tail which is annoying as gently caress and probably accelerates my male pattern baldness lol.

I'd just use my buzzer to cut it but there's two problems with that:
1) My buzzer is kinda poo poo and gives up half way through - that was fun finding that out in the early days of the pandemic...
2) Even as I eventually managed to complete it manually, I realized that I had a skull shape that makes me look like a cross breed between KZ escapee and potato

a goon recommended some awesome scissors to me so we bought them and a kit and now my wife & I cut each other's hair (and our baby's). it's great and saves a lot of money. she's gotten as good as a salon IMO, at least for my specific wannabe ryan gosling haircut, and i've gotten pretty good at dyeing and bleaching too lol

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

LionArcher posted:

here’s an open secret about frozen one. nobody, and I mean nobody at the studio or in the biz thought it was a good movie or worked.

but let it go. a loving song saved it.

IMO they broke out of the hetero love, damsel in distress mold and got rewarded for it. not that any lessons were learned

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Director at my side hospital job called me, tears in her eyes, begging me to work because 2 of the 3 nuclear medicine techs are out with covid so it's just one guy working. I said NO! I have to cover for my main job with half the staff out with covid already.

MAYBE NEXT TIME EVERYONE SHOULD MANDATE THAT loving VACCINE AS SOON AS ITS AVAILABLE AND NOT GIVE IN TO PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY YOU loving COCK GOBBLER HOSPITALS JFC :unsmigghh:

which hospitals? your primary is down in middletown right? have you heard how ai dupont or christiana are doing?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

I honestly didn’t realize he got so much hate, wow

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

crepeface posted:

covid vaccine tier list

a+: moderna
a: pfizer
b:
c: az, sinovac (?), sinopharm (?)
d: j&j

Cuban vaccine can get the B

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Shere posted:

I constantly have to stop myself and ask if I'm loving insane for caring when everyone around me seems to not give a gently caress. It's like being gaslit every single day and recognizing that is the only thing that keeps me going. I have to categorize what I'm doing as personal agency, like owning a gun to defend myself or setting up a home security system. No one can be expected to watch out for my own well being but me, it seems. It's not that other people don't care, it's that they're reliant on someone else alerting them that they should care about something and in the absence of that their default state is willful ignorance - if something serious enough were going on surely Someone would tell them about it. (Someone here being a hypothetical authority figure that they assume is in charge of Telling Them About Important Things).

I hate feeling like I'm overreacting when I pull my boss aside every month for the last three and tell her I'm not comfortable coming back to the office, and she obliges by continuing our unofficial agreement that I can work from home until someone above her inevitably raises a stink about it. I'm constantly vindicated in my precautions when I hear someone just got back from Florida or when I remote into a meeting to see people pulling down their masks to talk and then mysteriously someone's out for two weeks.

You just have to keep telling yourself that it's okay to not consent to "everyone gets COVID, that's the plan" because it was a plan concocted without anyone's consent to begin with. You can't take back getting a virus, once it happens it's done and the consequences are locked in. I have to approach it that way because otherwise I'll get lazy and let my guard down, which is all it takes.

The biggest thing that helped me with all of this was vocalizing it to my wife, who is generally as disconnected as your average person from all of this and when I showed her some of what gets shared here she was instantly on board with N95s and even elastomerics. Her taking my concern for her well being seriously made it easier to dismiss the gaslighting in general.

the worst for us is our large extended families have been completely untouched. oh, a great aunt died (not covid!!) or whatever. literally nothing about their lifestyle changed in the last 1.5 years except for some people being WFH

no one has gotten to touch the baby, one person drove out and met him from 6 feet away, masked, one time

edit: and vacations! many vacations, florida, dc, just a few weeks ago on A loving CRUISE. NO CONSEQUENCES!!! am I the crazy one???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

triple sulk posted:

lol at this poo poo idiot country. open up and let everyone die. third impact this bitch