Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Toalpaz posted:

Reverse engineer is copying 1 ability used against u so its not b- materialist or gestate c., so someone out there stealing powers or some poo poo from Shell.

Yeah, that's where I am, too. The roleblock didn't come into play and even the mod seemed to imply the visit and the loss weren't related. I don't think Binus played a part in that.

Anyway, there's not much we can do about that right now. There are probably some unlisted powers at play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Lol. And yeah in a vacuum looks like somber is town too yeah?

Also shell you really really should mention that after visiting b- you lost a seperate unrelated power.

I'd just take it to mean that somber didn't do the nk last night, not that he's not scum.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Toalpaz posted:

Reverse engineer is copying 1 ability used against u so its not b- materialist or gestate c., so someone out there stealing powers or some poo poo from Shell.

I'm not convinced its a coincidence. It must be someone's personality power since it isn't listed in the open setup and nobody has found an artifact yet. My personality has flavor tied to the appropriate ethic, Tommu's did too, it seems like a power-stealing personality would be most likely tied to a materialist of some sort. Again, not proof, but I think it's as good an assumption as the possibility that its a coincidence.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I'm not convinced its a coincidence. It must be someone's personality power since it isn't listed in the open setup and nobody has found an artifact yet. My personality has flavor tied to the appropriate ethic, Tommu's did too, it seems like a power-stealing personality would be most likely tied to a materialist of some sort. Again, not proof, but I think it's as good an assumption as the possibility that its a coincidence.

Yours does have an unlisted effect? (no need me to tell what if does, if so). Mine is just something like "if you have no other ethics at night you get a free roleblock". I kind of assumed they were all playing around there.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Shellception posted:

Yours does have an unlisted effect? (no need me to tell what if does, if so). Mine is just something like "if you have no other ethics at night you get a free roleblock". I kind of assumed they were all playing around there.

Mine is like that too, so was Tommu's, but other types must exist, or else you'd still have your roleblock.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tommu's and mine also seem to have in common that they'll only activate if we have nothing else we can use. Which makes sense for us. But, funny enough, Materialistic ethics are not one-shot, they won't run out of them, so their ability needs to be tied to something else.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

And neither are Gestalt's.

But then again we are assuming that everyone has their powers limited to what is listed + culture abilities + artifacts. This may not be the case.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

And neither are Gestalt's.

But then again we are assuming that everyone has their powers limited to what is listed + culture abilities + artifacts. This may not be the case.

I’d reckon scum have some information that isn’t public. Either some of the ethics have hidden scum embodiments or they may have ethics not listed at all.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Shellception posted:

Tommu's and mine also seem to have in common that they'll only activate if we have nothing else we can use. Which makes sense for us. But, funny enough, Materialistic ethics are not one-shot, they won't run out of them, so their ability needs to be tied to something else.

I have a materialist ethic and my personality is worded like Tommus. If I don't have a oneshot going in to a night I get one.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

I have a materialist ethic and my personality is worded like Tommus. If I don't have a oneshot going in to a night I get one.

Alright, so I was wrong in that count then.

It may be like Sand says, scum may get hidden/unlisted abilities. Or maybe not scum but random people, although stealing an ethic really looks like a scum ability.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is all very cool stuff, just want to reiterate in case this gets lost:

Could anyone who attempted to target me last night please say so? You don't need to say what you were trying to do, just whether you tried anything at all on me.

(Toal if you're holding out on me again i swear to god-)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

I’d reckon scum have some information that isn’t public. Either some of the ethics have hidden scum embodiments or they may have ethics not listed at all.

##vote Sandwolf

This is accurate. Scum do have different powers than town based on ethic. It is in the OP. But you thinking it's hidden info makes me think you knew that but didn't know everyone knew that.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Bifauxnen posted:

This is all very cool stuff, just want to reiterate in case this gets lost:

Could anyone who attempted to target me last night please say so? You don't need to say what you were trying to do, just whether you tried anything at all on me.

(Toal if you're holding out on me again i swear to god-)

I did nothin to ya.

I would post more reads but reading through day 2 it would just be harping on the d2 e+ on yami case which I again don't like, but makes me feel worse about pushing e+. I don't know how useful it is here but I find myself thinking about the reverse omgus mafia wiki page, which suggests that digging in on a bad theory is totally a town move.

Don't understand fully the Hal votes. Hal feels the same as he usually does i guess. You can just think back to last game where he was a quiet presence and then died bodyguarding town. IDK.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Epsilon, I'm not seeing the case against him. I've re-read his day 2 content once already, and how quickly Merk hops onto it is giving me pause. Toal, can you explain why him over the rest of your list in a bit more detail?

Sorry I didn't see this. I think it's a combination that I feel like other people agree with me so it's easier than trying to fight merk today and that my read of Yami is that they are obviously town.

The yami vote to me is weird because they're so obviously combative n hostile sounding early on that people jump down their throat every single game. They just get executed/murdered d1-2 and then wait another month for everyone to forget and join another game. I think it's just cause yami is confident sounding in their opinions, which usually means taking a strong stance on an issue with no information available and ends up looking scummy d1.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

##vote Sandwolf

This is accurate. Scum do have different powers than town based on ethic. It is in the OP. But you thinking it's hidden info makes me think you knew that but didn't know everyone knew that.

Uhhh, I may be coming off as stupid here, but I didn't knew that. Unless you are referring to some ethics giving different abilites for town and scum, that IS listed in the OP. But nowhere there is an ability that allows to steal others', is there?

Also, say Sand is scum, he knew that from being scum, and he didn't think everyone knew that (in other words, he thought townies wouldn't know). Why in Earth would he out himself like that?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

Don't understand fully the Hal votes. Hal feels the same as he usually does i guess. You can just think back to last game where he was a quiet presence and then died bodyguarding town. IDK.

Not quite the same. Last game HI was going back and forth about D1's lunch, he discussed the cop's readings, and generally showed himself to be on top of what was happening even though he didn't talk that much.

This game he's cracked jokes, make a half-assed attempt at discussing you and Sand that went nowhere and a post defending himself.

He may not be scum and just IDK tired or sipping tiny margaritas somewhere, but he's not playing the same way as last game. And he's a valuable player, so if he's not scum I think he needs a bit of an attention call.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Hal Insandenza (3): Sandwolf, PlasticAutomaton, Shellception
Epsilon Plus (3): Yami Fenrir, merk, Toalpaz
Somberbrero (1): b-minus1
Maerlyn (1): Bifauxnen
Sandwolf (1): Grandicap
Grandicap (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
PlasticAutomaton (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Toalpaz (0): merk, merk

Not Voting (5): Epsilon Plus, Hal Insandenza, Maerlyn, PERPETUAL IDIOT, Somberbrero

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is September 26th, 2021 at 11 p.m. GMT -- that's in about 1 day, 4 hours.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Just a reminder, deadlines are determined by the last day’s hammer. If you want a different deadline then feel free to hammer early.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

##vote Sandwolf

This is really unpersuasive Grandi, come on.

Go look at the OP, nothin there says “steal 1shot,” so how do you reckon a 1shot got stolen but for hidden scum poo poo?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I will say Hal’s sort of meandering back and forth today isn’t great and his strongest case being on me for virtually the exact same way he’s playing reads as a sort of extra level of self conscious to me.

##vote Hal

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

I will say Hal’s sort of meandering back and forth today isn’t great and his strongest case being on me for virtually the exact same way he’s playing reads as a sort of extra level of self conscious to me.

##vote Hal

That's... exactly the same vote you cast earlier in the day, no unvoting or anything, lol.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Shellception posted:

Uhhh, I may be coming off as stupid here, but I didn't knew that. Unless you are referring to some ethics giving different abilites for town and scum, that IS listed in the OP. But nowhere there is an ability that allows to steal others', is there?

Also, say Sand is scum, he knew that from being scum, and he didn't think everyone knew that (in other words, he thought townies wouldn't know). Why in Earth would he out himself like that?

I think Sandy's theorizing was influenced by out of thread knowledge. I don't think I intended to out himself, it was a slip when he was trying to blend in with the theorycraft. But that knowledge came from a scum chat, rather than the OP.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

This is really unpersuasive Grandi, come on.

Go look at the OP, nothin there says “steal 1shot,” so how do you reckon a 1shot got stolen but for hidden scum poo poo?

I agree that it is probably "hidden scum poo poo" but it isn't an ethic that works differently for town vs scum as those are specifically called out in the OP. There is no way that OA calls out some but not all of the ethics that behave differently for scum vs town.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

I think Sandy's theorizing was influenced by out of thread knowledge. I don't think I intended to out himself, it was a slip when he was trying to blend in with the theorycraft. But that knowledge came from a scum chat, rather than the OP.

Alright, maybe. You got a point there. Worth keeping an eye on it.

Though I think Sand's not the first to raise the possibility of hidden scum abilities? May be worth checking that, too.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Grandicap posted:

I agree that it is probably "hidden scum poo poo" but it isn't an ethic that works differently for town vs scum as those are specifically called out in the OP. There is no way that OA calls out some but not all of the ethics that behave differently for scum vs town.

...why not? when the scumteam gets a grab bag of 1-shots, the town isn't informed of that?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Shellception posted:

That's... exactly the same vote you cast earlier in the day, no unvoting or anything, lol.

yes, I am now feeling it and I wanted to draw attention back to it

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Agreed, too. I wasn't thinking about an ethic in this case. I think there may be something hidden akin to more traditional game roles, maybe it's just scum who got'em, maybe some townies did too and thet don't want to place themselves on the spotlight for now. But that's my speculation.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Is this… the end of the sandliance?

##shoot Sandwolf

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

Is this… the end of the sandliance?

##shoot Sandwolf

don't say things you don't mean damnit!!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

wait is that an actual Vig shot going out

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

PlasticAutomaton posted:

we must shh until mods speak

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Yeah! Count your blessings it wasn’t you…

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
OP says only the target isn't allowed to speak anymore.

Also RIP Sandwolf I guess.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

also everyone seems to have a secret power that they can use in lieu of one of the standard actions which is probably where the theft came from instead of you know, a secret ethic power. And since no one's fessing up to it, it's almost certainly scum.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Wolfie is probably gonna be BP

PlasticAutomaton posted:

also everyone seems to have a secret power that they can use in lieu of one of the standard actions which is probably where the theft came from instead of you know, a secret ethic power. And since no one's fessing up to it, it's almost certainly scum.

Hmmmm

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Also just a quick PSA my internet has been incredibly spotty the last few days so if I suddenly disappear it's probably my net dying completely.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I love the latter series of posts are a lot of people (me included) being confused about the random day shooting in the War Room, and Yami wandering in with a cup of coffee talking about their Internet dying.

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

code:
receiving urgent news bulletin…
”We have just received reports of a large skirmish between [TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED] that has resulted in massive destruction to both sides. The reasons behind the military action have not yet been explained but with the current paranoid climate many observers are already drawing their own conclusions.”

code:
end of broadcast…
No one has died. The day continues

ObamaAkbar. fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 25, 2021

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hal Insandenza posted:

Wolfie is probably gonna be BP

Hmmmm

it's true, but how'd you guess that...?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

##unvote

Hal is confirmed town, I think??? again, unless there are hidden ethics or 1-shots in play, again, GRANDI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Sandwolf posted:

##unvote

Hal is confirmed town, I think??? again, unless there are hidden ethics or 1-shots in play, again, GRANDI

First of all lol. Second of all what's your reasoning re: Hal.