Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

AITA for kicking my brother and his family out after his son stole my engagement ring?

quote:

So many of you have asked nonstop for an update, sorry it took me a while to log back on but lots of stuff have been going on.

Yes I found the ring!! It was a stressful day doing a deeper search in my house trying to think like my nephew and looking in places where I think he’d hide something if he really didn’t want it to be found. And the decision was if it really wasn’t found and my brother wasn’t able to get him to talk, or they wouldn’t be able to pay back what I’m owed then the police would get involved. He did beg me not to but I told him then you better pray I find it or you come up with the money to pay me for it.

Guess both our prayers worked because guess where I found it? In the freaking sink. The SINK. And that’s thanks to the comments who told me to look in those places. Idk what I would’ve done otherwise. It was the sink that was in their guest room, I’m glad he didn’t just throw it away.

You guys don’t know how freaking relieved I was to find it. Took some work to remove the p trap under the sink to get it out but I was just so happy to find it!! Same night my girlfriend (fiancée 😉) got back I proposed to her and she said yes!! After a nice romantic dinner just the two of us at home… The plan was to wait but after all this poo poo I thought gently caress it I’m proposing ASAP before anything else happens 😅🤣

After my brother heard about me finding the ring he thought this meant they could come back. I said no. He wanted to argue about this again. All I told him was he’s lucky I haven’t gone to the cops since there was already video evidence of his son taking the ring and there’s no way I’m letting them back in when my nephew wouldn’t even say what he did with the ring. I talked with my nephew myself after I found the ring but he just said he didn’t want to tell anyone because then I’d be mad at him for hiding it. Honestly I just don’t have the energy for them anymore, his problem is their problem and hopefully they get him help before it’s too late.

Only thing important to me is my fiancée and I starting our lives and planning our wedding 😁 Thank you Reddit for your help!! Seriously you guys were my life savers 😅

Edit to add: I just received this news after already submitting my post for approval and just wanted to add because I’m so happy, but girlfriend also informed me she’s pregnant!!! 😆😆 She found out while she was on her trip and was waiting for a good time to tell me. Not related to the post but idc, I’m gonna be a dad !!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
nice happy ending

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Call him out for ghosting?

quote:

I (36F) slept with a man (48) on Friday night. Stayed over, had sex for the first time, had breakfast in the morning and haven’t heard from him since (I haven’t contacted him but I expect a man would contact me after sex). Prior to this he was very communicative, told me how much he liked me and was kind and thoughtful. This seems out of character for him. I’m hurt and assuming he lost interest. Is it worth telling him I’m hurt, or asking what happened?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA For Hiding A Pregnancy And Birth From My Family?

quote:

Throwaway since I have relatives who know my main.

I (27f) have an older sister "Jenny" (36f) who's been trying for a baby for the past 10 years and has failed miserably. After multiple check ups with different doctors it was determined that the changes of my sister ever being able to successfully carry a healthy baby to term were tragically low. Jenny was in denial and wanted to keep trying. We all tried to be supportive but as the years passed and other people around Jenny started popping out kids it made her......"different."

The biggest turning point was when ex-BIL got fed up and left her so he could find a new woman to start a family with. At first she would just get all sad and depressed whenever someone close to her had a baby, but after our cousin got pregnant for the second time (in less than a year after the first) and had twins Jenny became bitter and aggressive. It got so bad that our cousin blocked Jenny and has decided not to attend any future functions that she knows Jenny will be at. My parents have pushed for therapy but Jenny never sticks to a single therapist for more than three sessions because none of them "feel right."

After the divorce she's moved back in with them and pay all her bills. They even let her get a puppy despite my mom's allergies, because it makes her feel better but she hardly ever picks up after it. I'd honestly just take the dog when no one was looking to re-home if I didn't think it would make my sister worse and/or our parents would just get her a new one.

Last year I found out I was pregnant. It wasn't intentional but my husband was excited while all I could think was "oh poo poo Jenny is going to freak out." One day when I was visiting was subtly trying to talk to my mom about the idea of me having a baby, Jenny overheard and came bursting in saying that me getting pregnant would be one of the worse things I could do to her as a sister. She then started crying and I apologized and left. My mom sent me a text saying that I was wrong to bring something like that up knowing how Jenny is and I just started cry. After that I made a decision to just keep my pregnancy a secret and for 9 months that's what I did.

I recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Now that she was here I knew I couldn't hide it anymore and just sent my parents each a text. They both thought it was a joke until I FaceTimed them and became very angry at me. They were hurt because not only did I hide something like this from them but that my husband's parents knew and were very involved. I lost it and told them that it's what they deserved after robbing me of the opportunity to enjoy my pregnancy because I was stressing out about how Jenny would react if/when she found out. I'm starting to feel guilty because I know my parents are trying to be there for Jenny who's going through something she can't control, so AITA?

hm somehow i don't think the baby's going to be spending much time at her grandparents' place

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

lmao

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my friend it's a red flag because of how long she's been single for?

quote:

Hi all,

I (25F) have been friends with Anya (not her real name and 24F) for about 4 years starting from when we were at university. She always had a bit of a complicated history with dating, she was strung along a lot with guys, was always looking for a boyfriend and not long before she left uni, had a glow up. Said she knew that her person probably didn't exist and she knew that was okay because she could do whatever the hell she wants. She's got so many interests I can't really keep up with so if she invites me to go surfing with her or recommends me a foreign film she's liked, I normally say no.

So a couple of months ago I got together with my current boyfriend. At around the same time, Anya was involved with a guy who told her he had feelings for her and then got back with his ex girlfriend a few days later without saying anything to her (she found out through a mutual friend of theirs). She was heartbroken but got over it after a few weeks. On a whim, she applied for a bunch of jobs and got a job in Helsinki. I was a bit annoyed she got the position because it felt like she had ditched me but that's life I guess.

She's been there for a few weeks now and she seems to have settled in really well and already has a friendship group and has taken up a bunch of new hobbies. I asked how dating was going (Finnish men are hot apparently) and she said she had no interest in it. I asked why and she said since the experience with the last guy she had been put off dating and just wanted to have fun and make friends. I asked how long she wanted to do this for and she said she wanted this for a year or two and if any guy was interested in her, they'd have to start off as friends first.

I was a bit shocked because she was always keen on having a boyfriend and if she waits two years, she'd have been single for about 6 years at that point. Me and my boyfriend on the other hand would've moved in and everything and I'm worried she'd be jealous of me. I kind of said "Do you not think men will think there's something wrong with you if you've been single that long? It'd be some kind of red flag."

She glared at me (this was over facetime) and told me she'd had enough of the conversation. My sister thinks I'm an AH because I made her uncomfortable, but I think I was stating facts.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my friend it's a red flag because of how long she's been single for?

i wonder if op is mad that anya isn't around to compare herself to now

anya sounds baller

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Evil Willow posted:

Finnish men do not give a poo poo about whatever this weirdo thinks. Anya's current attitude fits the city fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im gonna need you to explain this gap on your dating resume

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I don't understand the math here. Anya was dating someone a couple of months ago, but in two years she will have been single for 6 years?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I'm trying to simultaneously occupy the mindset of "you need to keep dating" and the mental space a Finn exists in, and I can't fit them together.

You were focusing on doing something useful instead of trying to date? You prefer to date friends over using dating apps or something?

All of that is fine as long as you're not a teetotaler or something.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Reminds me of that weirdo who posted on Taylor Swift's Facebook or some fan page about how her birthday that week meant she was X number of years old and only had Y number of years before her eggs went bad.

AITA for telling my brother he was an AH for leaving his wife after she couldn’t get pregnant?

quote:

Throwaway account.

My brother and his wife (both 35) have been together since they were in HS and I’m 10 years younger than them so I’ve known her basically my entire life. They’ve been trying to have a baby for years but she’s got fertility issues (they’ve had three rounds of unsuccessful IVF). She has always been open to adoption but my brother is adamantly opposed to it. My brother told us (my parents and me) a few weeks ago that he is divorcing his wife. At first he wouldn’t tell us why, but eventually he said it’s because he really wants children and she isn’t able to have them with him. My parents were sad but sympathetic, saying it was a lose-lose situation. I, meanwhile, got really upset. I told him he was a huge AH for leaving his wife (the supposed love of his life for the past 20 years) for something that she had no control over. And that if he wanted kids so badly he could get over himself and try to adopt. He told me I didn’t get it and left. My parents told me I owe him an apology, but I’m still really angry. My SIL is my family too, I don’t understand how he can just leave her like this. I haven’t spoken to her about this, but I know she’s probably devastated.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Im gonna need you to explain this gap on your dating resume

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Cowslips Warren posted:

Reminds me of that weirdo who posted on Taylor Swift's Facebook or some fan page about how her birthday that week meant she was X number of years old and only had Y number of years before her eggs went bad.

AITA for telling my brother he was an AH for leaving his wife after she couldn’t get pregnant?

I'd agree with the parents here, there is no winning here. Nothing about having kids is rational/logical, and I don't begrudge people who's life goals involve raising their own offspring.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for thinking he talks girly with exclamation marks?

:psyduck:

quote:

I'm in a club where I'm supposed to get paired up with a "little sibling" to befriend. In this program, I get to know who the person is, but he wouldn't know who I am yet until the end of the week, so in the mean time, he's speaking to me basically anonymously.

Anyway, he and I have been texting a bit. I've noticed he uses more exclamation marks than other guy friends I have, so I feel like he talks kind of girly. I asked my sister about this and my sister briefly skimmed through our texts. My sister said in total, it doesn't seem like that many because he's not using them in every single reply or sentence. In the 25 text message exchanges, he's only had these:

"Hey! I'm good, just chilling at home. How are you?"

"That's fun! Who's the artist at the concert? I haven't been to one in forever"

"I'm gonna sleep now goodnight, get some sleep!"

"Haha if you're treating me I gotta treat you to something too! Cool, we can hang out first then another time we'll do something with the others"

"June 16! When's yours?"

"I bet I'm better!! Hahaha jk but we can have a challenge."

"Happy belated!"

"The Weeknd is hella good! I also listen to Post Malone and Drake. I don't have many artists I'm a huge fan of, but I'll make a playlist with songs I like. You can check it out when you're free."

"Hi Ashley I have a pic of my letter. I'm also excited!"

"I'm excited to have more fun with you in the future! See you at the picnic!"

I said that's still a decent amount of exclamation marks and I've read most guys don't really use them. I saw it said like 77% of exclamation marks are used by women, so it seems kind of girly. My sister said I'm stereotyping and no one cares enough about this stuff. She said I'm being judgmental and having a toxic mindset about masculinity. I got annoyed and argued it was just an observation that he talks more feminine. My sister said he doesn't because then he'd use more exclamations such as at the end of points 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8. I still feel like he's kind of girly compared to other men though.

:psyboom:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Serephina posted:

I'd agree with the parents here, there is no winning here. Nothing about having kids is rational/logical, and I don't begrudge people who's life goals involve raising their own offspring.

personally i’d never thrust the guy again; with the very big assumption that this is the only issue, i could never have faith that he wouldn’t cast something / someone aside when they didn’t meet some expectation

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
girly dudes out there yelling with exclamation marks. gonna take the man card from the next guy i see yelling without a proper, manly period

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cowslips Warren posted:

How do straight people live like this?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for saying that I wouldn't be playing mom with my ex's affair baby?

get rekt kid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tired gay and dead posted:

How do straight people live like this?

As evidenced, poorly

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Captain Hygiene posted:

quote:

I saw it said like 77% of exclamation marks are used by women

i never knew this!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Serephina posted:

Sure, the person abandoning his partner of 20 years because she has health issues and he's unwilling to adopt has the reasonable life goals here. He's more interested in his genetic legacy than his partner, and this should be a clear sign to the wife to move on.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Serephina posted:

nah, gently caress that guy. dude is entirely right to bitch him out and id have a lot worse to say to my brother if he pulled that poo poo. after that long the SIL is literally part of the family as much as anyone else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know why I find it so funny the woman in a big/little program that has been clearly made coed is melting down over weirdo gender essentialism but I think its that she was placed there specifically to mitigate gender segregation and is floundering.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Foo Diddley posted:

i never knew this!

It's just one lady using thousands of exclamation marks and throwing off the curve

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Mx. posted:

It's just one lady using thousands of exclamation marks and throwing off the curve

I feel personally attacked!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I hate this guy and y'all can also hate him.

AITA for wanting my unemployed girlfriend to do more chores?

quote:

This has nothing to do with money. We split the rent and we share everything 50-50. I am an engineer and my GF works in healthcare. One month ago her contract at ended and she has been unemployed since. She has already found another job but she would be able to start two months after her previous job ended, that means in a month from now. So for the past month she has been living her best life. She’s spending her mornings studying for her new job but also reading, watching Netflix, going to the gym and for runs with her dog etc.

However she hasn’t started contributing more to the household. I mean she still cooks and cleans every day but she still expects me to wash the dishes and she won’t pick up my clothes after I have returned from work. The other day I left a bunch of my mail on the table and when I returned it was left unopened, I asked her why she didn’t look through it and she told me she’s not my secretary. I have been hinting that she should be picking up more chores now that she’s unemployed but she says that she’s not my housekeeper, she does more than half of the chores and since my workload has not increased I should be able to do mine.

I mean yes, I am able to do it but I am tired from work and she isn’t so I had expected her to step up a little but no, she claims this is her break from working hard and other hurtful things, like she didn’t go to med school to be a live-in maid etc. So am I the rear end in a top hat For expecting her to do most of the chores while she’s unemployed?

"Works in healthcare", "contract ended and unemployed since", "found another job".
So the girlfriend went to med school, just finished her residency (contract), and will be starting a new job as a doctor soon. She does more than half the chores, and is still paying half the rent and bills out of her savings........ (This is all in the comments, it's not me making poo poo up.)

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Evil Willow posted:

r/relationships: I am an engineer

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

"Works in healthcare", "contract ended and unemployed since", "found another job".
So the girlfriend went to med school, just finished her residency (contract), and will be starting a new job as a doctor soon. She does more than half the chores, and is still paying half the rent and bills out of her savings........ (This is all in the comments, it's not me making poo poo up.)

I hope they break up, I feel like I have a chance with a girl whose standards are this low

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

She could be a per-diem nurse probably not a doctor.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Evil Willow posted:

That doesn’t make any sense if she was working already as a doctor and just finished residency she’d be an attending and wouldn’t be waiting for the June/July residency start and if she was a med student waiting for July she wouldn’t have been employed or making any money before.

Also no doctor would call their residency a “contract” that’s weird.

It sounds like someone made this up after misunderstanding the doctor training pipeline in the US and throwing in terminology that more applicable to nursing jobs because they overheard a nurse talking about work stuff and assumed doctors and nurse have remotely similar career and employment conventions.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 20, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: eh, not that interesting in hindsight

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 20, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA For Hiding A Pregnancy And Birth From My Family?

hm somehow i don't think the baby's going to be spending much time at her grandparents' place

You literally told your daughter that becoming pregnant would be the worst thing she could do, and then got mad that she didn't tell you she was pregnant.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also residencies to my knowledge don’t end until June-ish so it doesn’t make sense she’s hanging around doing nothing unless it was posted in July or August

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh my god

AITA for refusing to talk to my clan members’ wives so they can, “assert their dominance?”

Honestly just kick em out right at that point, you don't even need to wait for whatever upcoming trouble will inevitably be brewing on their end.

Am *I* the rear end in a top hat for being kind of horror-delighted at these wives?! (very much plus their husbands) I want to be a fly on the wall in their gaming-with-a-woman fights! I want a script for their Dominance Conversations! I want to know in what insane and hilarious tone they say "HE IS MARRIED, TO ME". And I also don't want these things because the cringe is lethal.

I hope to implement 'how is this my problem' as the philosophical question that guides my life, but have never had such a spectacular shutdown opportunity as this.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

The envy and neediness from the op is so thick as to be tangible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Willow posted:

This has never happened before in the history of the world!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

What were people suggesting to go look in the sink for? Like what’s the thought process there? Desperate ditch, or planning to undo the P trap themselves later?

Foo Diddley posted:

i never knew this!
Aren’t women supposed to text more than men? Maybe the exclamation point volume is an outcome of that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

What were people suggesting to go look in the sink for? Like what’s the thought process there? Desperate ditch, or planning to undo the P trap themselves later?

?? Commenters were suggesting the sink as a place the ring might be hidden, since they couldn't find it anywhere else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Am *I* the rear end in a top hat for being kind of horror-delighted at these wives?! (very much plus their husbands) I want to be a fly on the wall in their gaming-with-a-woman fights! I want a script for their Dominance Conversations! I want to know in what insane and hilarious tone they say "HE IS MARRIED, TO ME". And I also don't want these things because the cringe is lethal.

I hope to implement 'how is this my problem' as the philosophical question that guides my life, but have never had such a spectacular shutdown opportunity as this.

Strong vibes of stir-crazy middle-class housewives with a desperate need for something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Midnight Voyager posted:

?? Commenters were suggesting the sink as a place the ring might be hidden, since they couldn't find it anywhere else.

I get that it’s process of elimination, but why would the kid send it down the drain if he wanted to pawn it later? Did he really want to deal with picking through the P trap?