Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lmao okay buddy

Everyone keep DMing him

The song "somebody I used to know" was written for this guy. gat dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, I bet this was the "first time" OP has hit up a sister who she's not close with and regularly go for months without contacting for babysitting when she's made her feelings clear and she went from 0 to a "rant" without provocation :jerkbag:

and OP's mother couldn't pick up Jack because [missing reason]

AITA for being mad at the lack of food I like?

It says in the story she rang her mum three times but she didn't answer?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for cancelling someone else's all inclusive hotel reservation?

This one's just relatable for me. Way back when Yahoo opened a bunch of inactive email addresses for folks to sign up for, I grabbed a simple version of my initial and last name. It's just been unbelievable how many people with similar names are unaware enough to sign up for all sorts of sensitive stuff with that address, I've been getting any number of bank and credit card notifications/medical statements/PTA emails/online order confirmations/etc nearly weekly over almost a decade, it's just stupid. I wouldn't gently caress someone over like this, but I completely understand getting sick of other people's profound ineptitude.

My gmail is my firstname.lastname@gmail.com (I signed up the moment I heard google was going to do email) and I have discovered a fair few firstname lastnames in the world that way.

Yes, I get a surprising amount of sensitive stuff sent my way which I delete or if I don't think I am ever going to use that particular bank, block.

Separate topic, I am learning French and it is just so hard the pronunciation, just so frustratingly difficult. I could speak basic Egyptian informal Arabic in a year but the best part of a decade trying to learn French and it is still so depressingly limited.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I helped unfuck a PhD student's computer with the only copy of their thesis in the late 90's. A couple of years later, I helped re-type a geology masters that had been printed out as a draft but the soft copy got lost/corrupted. I heard about another thesis going missing because the lady had a very nice laptop and just slept the laptop all the time and turns out she had not saved in months. Somehow the autosave had been turned off.

We literally had as part of the 101 in my course about the importance of robust file management and had to be constantly reinforced throughout.

Academic guru using computers is another example of getting an expert out of their field and you have a loving idiot.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

massive spider posted:

Serial Killers aren't like pop musicians where there's a new one out every year and only grandpa remembers the obscure ones. They peaked back in the mid-late twentieth century period where it was a lot easier to bullshit about your identity and dna evidence wasn't a thing. Ted Bundy, Jeffery Dahmer and so on will continue to remain the faces that come up when you GIS "serial killer" .

I think you are right but I never heard of Jeffery Dahmer.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Invisible Clergy posted:

Out of curiosity, are you American? I don't think he's got much global clout.

Nah, ridgey-didge Aussie.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I guess for Aussies and Americans used to cheap milk, it is whatever but I have been plenty of places where a liter of milk is over a days local salary or not available most of the time. I go to great lengths to get fresh milk sometimes and while UHT milk is fine now; before, the single biggest thing I looked forward to when getting back to Aus (more important than meat pie, vegemite or beer) was a glass of fresh milk. To see someone insist upon ditching fresh milk would make me sad.

Old mate Iranian is going to have to learn the importance of ignoring waste in America though.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

No I just tell them to eat till they’re full. The specific post about the milk I agree the guy is unhinged, but some people in here were acting like trying to control your kid’s eating at all is crazy which is unrealistic.

Edit: I agree with the “don’t force it, let them choose between the food and hunger” thing though.

I beat the eat or go hungry trick by not eating - for days. yep, no brussels sprouts for me as a kid. Still don't like them although I eat them fairly regularly now because they are pretty healthy.

You wont get me to eat them on Christmas day like a weirdo English person tho'.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

and she treats him like a child over which credit card to use, puts him on pretend bacon diets, gets angry at him for not toughing up to the carwash boss and gives him a pitty sex handjob for his birthday while still selling things online.

They were definitely writing her to be annoying deliberately, maybe to help promote some people to identify with Walt as a downtrodden dude and then join him vicariously as he lives out their crazy give no fucks about the consequences decision making that comes off dreams.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

yeah, good point on the old school style of meal prep;

~ Put veges in pot of water and set on stove at maximum heat.
~ Take meat out of freezer and leave on sink to defrost
~ Go to work, come home from work
~ Drain veges and plate up on cold plates
~ Grill/fry/bake meat as trained by grandmas sekret squirrel recipe
~ Plate up alongside sufficiently rested veges
~ Serve
~ Hit kids with sticks until all is consumed.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Fixed:

"Hey Honey, I volunteered you to set up and clean at a wedding of a couple you hardly know! No, I won't be helping you. I'm part of the party that will be eating and drinking and having fun while you're doing that."

wasn't he off doing photos? from what I remember from my sisters wedding, she (who is normally very frugal) paid like $3k for her wedding photographer and by golly she was going to get value. Literally hours of photos being taken (in the rather nice Adelaide Botanical Garden on a beautiful sunny day) and the wedding party was D O N E done by the finish. Maybe easier to be setting up some tables.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for being upset with him over tattoos?

and aside from not actually being in a relationship anyway, who thinks berating your SO in front of a friend group is a good thing? I don't care if you are married, save your "I am concerned" speeches for private.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Also weird to have four kids that are allergic to latex like their daddy is I bet.

Sowing your oats does not really work with condoms now does it?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

We had a new guy starting as the alternative site manager (~$500k job) and I was holding the fort until he turned up. He was from Colorado and evidently weed is legal there? But first day pre-start medical and test and I got the fairly unusual experience of calling my boss into an office to sack him and organise his flights back home.

He has not been the only guy that smoked weed to celebrate getting a job which has both the condition of no drugs (including weed) and a test the first day on the job (another case I literally flew a guy from NZ to W. Africa only to have to fly him home again within an hour onsite).

That guy narced to the future employer in the worst possible way, proving once again that snitches deserve stitches.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

My theory is that if you are in an industry willing to pay 100's of k US net of taxes that has a consistent safety policy of drug testing all drugs and you are going to a country that weed is perishable by imprisonment and you are reminded by phone (as all expats are) that there will be a test as part of the site arrival medical, that maybe you consider that it actually really is going to play out exactly as foretold and either knock off the pot or take a role without safety requirements within it.

He was theoretically the site (my) boss so I am sure if he felt he was hard done by he could have over ruled the site doctor / me anyway. The national staff would have then reported him to the government labor regulators / police so probably a good choice on his part to go peaceably.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I was flying alone at 13 and definitely been on international flights where there was unaccompanied children of even younger age. Cripes, one of my workmates was put on a plane in Malaysia to go to high school in New Zealand. As she told it, she made a friend on the plane to Auckland so did not catch the domestic flight to Wellington where a boarding school rep was waiting, instead going with her new friend to the boarding school in Auckland and rang her (by this point panicking) dad at the end of the week to say where she was. Evidently her old man done that with all her siblings - sent them to western countries from high school onwards by themselves. Also evidently her 'rents were disappointed that she only got a PhD in chem eng rather than law/medicine and never got to MIT/OxBidge like her siblings so serious expectations.

This lady doesn't expect her kids to be able to get overseas by themselves (after asking them in the hope they didn't want to go) at an age where they can enlist.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good god at the redditor WELL TECHNICALLYing her state of motherhood :psyboom:

eh, if you are at an all day event with people with a common interest you probably going to want to talk about the common interest everyone has. Is it really going to be a good relaxing day talking about (amongst other things) how kids behave, how silly little ones are, their first words, old stories of hijinx and challenges when it is quite possible it would be a social faux pas to reminisce living kids around a someone that has only experienced miscarriages?

They probably don't want to have an entire day where they would feel awkward to mention their living children at a family day (say as opposed to a race meet or show jumping where you can talk cars or horses all day).

VVVV ahh ok, yeah that's different VVVVV

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 10, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Funktastic posted:

WIBTA if I failed my student because she speaks with different dialect than I teach (language degree)?

Yeah you are excellent but because I hate the people where your dialect is from, I gotta fail you sorry this is the way it is.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I'm honestly kinda shocked at how no one is flinching at 'someone was at the store so I sent him on a task for me' bc to me that's actually what's most insane IMO. Who hears that an acquaintance is shopping and thinks 'ok cool now they can do a chore for ME'

but then I have a partner who is my family who does these things so I probably take that for granted, to me that's something I ask my partner not some random friend out at a store

Nah, if only a few if any in your group have a car, then asking someone to grab something if they are going or already there was very common. Even now with international crowd, if you want something from some country and you know someone is coming from there, you hit them up for anything from hair bonding stuff to iphone to cereal to indo mie noodles to yes, preferred personal products.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Actually scratch that, the sane thing to do would be to have the conversation with your boyfriend and not bothering the third party at all because they really don't need to be involved.

And yes, intimacy sphere. The range of things one considers to be intimate. Is that not what it's called?

Is that like a sphere of influence?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You are aware that "manchild" is banned on Reddit and not in this thread or on these forums, right?

Yes obviously and also obviously demonstrating a probable reason why it ran its welcome out at the AITA site. There was nothing in the original post to support that take and the word itself (because it is so apt) just encourages people to theorycraft ways to apply it - a lot of the time right, sometimes disingenuously.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

therobit posted:

Yeah, and it’s fine if he doesn’t still want to set her up with his sister, but I think he is the rear end in a top hat in the whole “ask female coworker about her relationship status while walking to the car and keep pushing when she shuts it down” scenario.

My understanding was it went like this;

Him, Are you single?
Her, I don't want to go out with you
Him, It is not for me
Her, I don't want to go with anyone like you
Him, snarky reply

Aside from the snarky reply at the end, I don't see how that is rude on his part. That he went full radio silence afterwards probably reflects he got a chat by his boss about it but the point remains he didn't go further later.

Then her thought is that because she would actually like to smash old mate's sister, that she is thinking now she might have been a bit hasty, which is really her AITA question.

Which if she wants to find out about people to smash via the easy method of their brother coming up and asking her, then she is going to have to keep her insta-instinct of burn and report in check. As another poster already said, if you don't want people to approach you ever, that is fine but don't bemoan to others that you miss out because of it.

E) I hasten to add, it does seem like a handcrafted post trying to validate why men should be given the time of day when trying to approach a lady to ask for a date.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 11, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Breetai posted:

Anyone who thinks that this woman should have somehow worked out deductively that this was the one time that a dude approaching you in a parking lot and questioning you about your relationship status wasn't worrying by somehow extrapolating it from first principles in a calm and logical fashion on the spot clearly doesn't appreciate the fact that the woman isn't able to readily conceptualise a perfectly spherical creep simply by turning off her monitor.

which is fine but she is on Redit bemoaning that she blew off someone she wanted because she didn't give old mate the time of day. Like he cleared up it was not for him and she followed up with "anyone like you" which is obviously a definite gently caress off I think you are a creep which again is fine (and he got snarky at the insult sure) but she can't be sad now that she blew off a chance at someone she wanted to smash because of her aggressive blow off.

People approach others all the time with an ask. Whether it be for charity, to sell something or ask for a job or to try and find a relationship. A lot of people don't want to deal with certain types of enquiries, pushy salespeople, pushy men/women, aggressive beggars etc. When you are sick of it, you get rude (slam the door in a salespersons face, yell swear words at small children in the streets of Dakar, telling old mate to gently caress off he is creepy. It is rude but understandable even though patience is generally recommended. How you tell people to gently caress off does burn bridges though. Sometimes you don't care a bridge is burnt (creepy fellow following you down the street) but in this case, the lady has burnt a bridge she wishes she did not burn and is basically asking if she burnt it down or is it really the fault of old mate not doing a good enough job of keeping the bridge up for her after being told to gently caress off and reported for sexual harassment.

She is not unjustified for telling him to gently caress off or reporting him, she is a minor arsehole for the implied thinking that somehow she really should still have a chance with what he was trying to offer (an introduction to his gay sister) and cared that he blocked her after which prevents her getting in on the offer.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, FFS. Why not just tell sis he's got a hot gaydar-pinging work friend, come over at lunchtime some day and I'll introduce you? Or hey workmate I mentioned you to my sister and she thinks you sound nice here's her instagram rather than this secret agent burn-after-reading thing? He chose the skeeviest possible way to go about it. Set himself up to fail.

She'll just have to chalk it up to experience though.

If she was already attached, do you think she would appreciate if the lead from a workmate is "Hi workmate, please meet someone I would like to set you up with" or "hey here is the contact details of someone that has the same sexual preferences to you and possibly a mutual desire"? If it had gone down like that (and it would have likely gone badly) the recommendation would in future be to find out if they are indeed single and looking before trying to set up (maybe his sister asked him if the workmate he was talking about was single and he didn't know?).

She cut him off at the earliest opportunity (which is her right of course) so considering how quickly and aggressively she spurned his offer, he is probably thinking he was lucky not to inflict his workmate on his sister like he originally thought was a good idea.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Guy I used to work with claimed to lose part of his beard in a lathe. Make sure your blue collar partners beard is OSHA certified

Had new OHS standards for one place come in that everyone had to be clean shaved (for face mask seal). One of the tradies resisted and generally avoided it but eventually the decree come down that everyone had to be clean shaven Monday or go see HR. Dude worked there over a decade but instead of having to go see HR, he packed his tools, loaded his ute and drove offsite beard intact never to return.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

edgeman83 posted:

Whoof. The SIL is an rear end in a top hat, but if you can't afford extracurriculars compared to the much more expensive new child, you really shouldn't be having another child.

The poors should not be allowed to breed, uh?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bell jar posted:

I don't think that's what the guy you're replying to said

it is the natural extension of "if you can't afford extracurricular activities, you probably shoulna had more children". I think the poors or the disabled or otherwise underprivileged should not generally be recommended against having children, I think we should support their desire carte blanche and work on society/government making sure the support is there for that.

Also, we are both Aussie and both know expensive extracurricular activities are entirely unnecessary at least in Aus with plenty of otherwise rich parents not bothering with them. I would be surprised they are all that necessary in the US so to say that more kids should be reconsidered if you don't have your current kids in them sounds not far off my admittedly reductio ad absurdum argument.

It is not that far of a leap to go from saying "I think people should not have more children if they can't pay for x" to "we should legislate to discourage people people having more children if they can't pay for x" to the "we should legislate to actively prevent more children if the parents are unlikely to pay for x".

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

DreamingofRoses posted:

Or maybe, while society is still the way it is (also *ew* on you calling people “the poors” again), it’s okay to say “They might want to reconsider having another child if they can’t afford extracurriculars at the moment since a new kid is going to cost more than the extra classes” since it’s not the same as saying “We need to sterilize everyone who makes under $x”

You are very polite and have very much decorum in asserting your firm view that people that don't send their kids for dance lessons (which was what was stated as dropped in the original redit post), should be discouraged from adding to the way society is. Jonathan Swift would be proud.

I know this is a Wendy's but the wiff of the solution to the worlds problems being less underprivileged people (through very polite and well meaning discouragement of expanding families) is something that comes up too often and grinds my gears. The original poster has felt need to re-edit their post multiple times justifying why they could even consider more kids considering they don't send their current kids to dance lessons so it is not just a one off thing.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my husband it's time to hash things out with my mom?

yeah, she requested him to be quiet, he did and then she was happy for her mum to just poo poo all over his family. drat straight I would be pissed too.

Kuros posted:

Fuckin baller grandad.

Haha, :owned:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for arguing with my husbands doctor and acting like a Karen because they wouldn't listen

huh, I have had a tender and swollen foot for a few weeks/months and swelled up like a bastard on a long haul flight I did recently. The other foot is alright and its definitely not as bad as old mates but now I am wondering if it is stress fractures from lovely work boots I have been using... maybe a doctor's visit is a better idea than tea spoons of cement.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Whorelord posted:

I was edging towards Liverpool, personally. Although I will say I'm not sure the stereotype of Glasweigans being violent isn't 100% unearned. I met a bloke from there who'd moved to Edinburgh and complaining about it being boring because people didn't randomly come up to him on the street for a fight, and there were no longer roads he had to avoid because he was wearing a blue or green t-shirt.

I went down to Glasgow and pulled on my (Aussie) ruggers playing jersey to go out to get pub grub and a pint. My bro (who lived in Edinburgh for years) told me we are not going to a single pub in Glasgow with me wearing that so I wore a normal shirt but had an Australian Wallabies rugby merchandise scarf and still got side eye from patrons and told by a bar tender best I be leaving as I obviously didn't want what I was asking for. This was at 7pm-ish in a fairly reasonable looking pub.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Hygiene posted:

You're childish and pathetic, for not wanting me to document myself eating my coworker's meals instead of yours as part of her plan to drive a wedge between us!!
:arghfist::qq:

Yeah, he should be demonstrating his commitment to his partner by giving the food to his partner and replying back with a photo of the empty plate to the workmate about how good partner enjoyed it. If something is so much tastier, why wouldn't you want to share with your partner?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

She probably has not had many occasions to dress expensively and showy/attractive as possible and I know myself at 19, anything outside of what I had done before unless it was baby steps I would be anxious as gently caress. Maybe her fight or flight response is that she has doubled down over what her "style" is to the point of causing more drama than if she had risked the judgment of her taste in a nice suit pants, blouse and accessories.

E) although saying that, if had been 19 old me, I would have likely chucked a sad and found some reasons that I could not attend if that much pressure was put on to push ourselves out there.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 15, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

greazeball posted:

AITA for taking clients dogs to the shelter?

The vendor should have just stopped doing business with that client rather than what they ended up doing.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

pentyne posted:

Do you think poor people just all dress like slobs and somehow could never dream of dressing up nice for an event? Many of them will still wear nice formal clothes for things like church, parties, work events, etc. because being able to dress well both makes a good impression and lets a lot of people take pride in themselves.

Formal event clothes often doesn't have to be a suit and not wearing a suit does not mean dressing like a slob. Clean, sharp, in good repair, appropriate to the event and in your own style that matches your demeanor is something poor/rich people alike take pride in and does not need to be a suit for most things in life. Some people dig going the whole nine yards once in awhile like at the Melbourne Cup or whatever, you do you.

A suit is more and more a niche bit of kit that can just as easily leave you looking a bit overdone if everyone else targeted a bit more colorful/less formal/etc. Especially as different cultures don't have suits at all further eroding the absolute need to wear one to fit in.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for leaving my date in the parking lot?

Give me your steak!

I would have asked to get my steak back and consider what he had taken as a sample. I would cut a chunk of his as well to taste his.

He hosed up twice (once eating the wrong steak and then forgetting that when he handed her the check (which she should have corrected as well, probably thought that he would be able to browbeat his way into her pants) but he knew it was all poor form on his part. It was definitely his learned opinion that he was best off heading off possible fallout in the office by spreading rumors sooner and faster than her come Monday.

Not helping re-habilitate the world's opinion of lawyers in any event.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It's not exactly common sense but is absolute wisdom to minimise seeing traumatic poo poo you don't have to see for a good reason (eg first responder where you just have to get in and deal with the trauma later).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I say she should do this. This relationship is Capital-D Done; salt the earth, set fire to his poo poo. Or throw it into a ravine, if there is one available.

'Pretending' to chuck someone over the edge of the Grand Canyon, or any cliff, is not now nor has it ever been funny. There is no humor to be gleaned from "Haha I could have murdered you!". She was absolutely justified in bringing up his ex- because his ex was right. He is an immature poo poo-stain, and unless or until removes his head from his rear end (doubtful) he deserves every bit of what he got, and more besides.

Depends by what you mean by chuck, it's a dick move either way but maybe he just done the most common grab firmly around the shoulders and physically moved her a few inches (and she not even take a step) even as she was 20 feet away from the guarding/barriers to the other end of pushing her over the guard to where she could see over the edge.

The old grab someone around the shoulder as if you were going to push them in the water / large tank of toxic chemicals / high place is done so often as to be be a thoroughly inane sort of action and generally does not result in such an extreme reaction.

If it was the mild end, old mate has discovered when someone says they have a phobia, you have to respect that and let sleeping dogs lie lest you lose your relationship but you win some lose some. If it was on the other end and if she didn't resist at all, she woulda went over - then dickhead deserves it as you say.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

It’s always an rear end in a top hat move to kick somebody out of their current home

nah, a lot of times it is a "hit da bricks" thing to do. You have a room-mate that invites weirds around, gets into fights with your partner or keeps saying annoying poo poo or never pays their share, is now an ex? - hit da bricks (in this case they are the ones to be hittin' da bricks), make the separation, sever, let it go and get rid of the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

gimme some examples cause i'm coming up blank

a lot of romance scams, (Nigerians catfishing as US soldiers to convince filipinos/Indos/Britons to take out loans to help out their move to the US)

The scam of using stolen identity of a young traveler to ring gran and any other family members about how they desperately need a lot of money sent overseas to them

Having a house sold from under you because they were able to convince lawyers and the like (who have power of attorney) that you indeed wanted to sell a house

Faulty insulation installs

The timeshare holiday homes with terms that have no sensible exit clauses (ie, you will be paying say $2k a month for the rest of your life, even if you physically can't use the home)

Old people being browbeaten to open and remote desktop their PC because of a virus (but are actually looking for idenity theft details, bank account details etc to clean out the life savings and retirement).

The list goes on, scamming is very easy to fall pray to, some is funny (yes, I donated 10 euro to the deaf school in Charles De Gaulle the first time I landed there a decade ago), some is more ruinous.

Crypto is a funny one because it was a bit like MLM (for me a scam, burn up your family and support network for the promise of reliable income) in that the advocators become insufferable. I still feel for the people that come to realise they done gone hosed up but still feel a bit of vindication of being a sensible person that just says "no, I am a rude bastard that wont turn up to buy tupperware or whatever, not even one bowl (and tupperware was at least good stuff)"