Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i guess i'm just set in my ways, also i've never found the search to be very consistent and sometimes it does that thing where it shows search results and you go to pick one of them but then suddenly it shows different results.

whenever i have to touch another computer i just do it via winrm/powershell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

r u ready to WALK posted:

leaked screenshot of the redesigned windows 12 start menu

hell yeah, full-screen start owns. loads of space to pin all your regular poo poo to and with muscle memory you can access poo poo fast as gently caress, just hit winkey, flick your cursor to the tile and smash that like mouse button

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Visio has to be the worst loving piece of software for how much it costs

i ditched visio for draw.io ages ago, a good choice.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does anyone have a link to that microsoft product name generator website?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ayy nice cheers m8. also props to wheany for the site, now more relevant than ever.

edit: someone should add it to the OP

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

updated windows recently and it automatically added a "Copilot (preview)" button to the taskbar, whatever the gently caress that is (below screenshot is after i switched it off, it was previously on by default):

also ive noticed that at some point in the last 3 months they've added what i believe is a Windows Defender feature that appears to monitor your clipboard and if you copy and then paste a password that is the same as your account password it will spawn a dialog warning you of password reuse:

the link in the dialog goes to this site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/topic/protect-your-microsoft-password-from-being-phished-e4e8e611-e4b3-4be9-914c-db1657c337cf. idk how i feel about the feature, seems kinda gross that microsoft is snooping the clipboard like that. haven't been bothered to look into whether it can be disabled yet.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also updates and other security features rely on a large and bizarre array of various domains to function so you can't just do wildcards. poo poo is crazy honestly. recently i had to do the HTTPS-intercept bypass needful to get Defender for Endpoint working and they give you this spreadsheet which has an insane number of domains on it. same also for intune and microsoft edge.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

not sure when microsoft changed this but you can now uninstall the cortana app on win10 and win11. pretty sure previously it was one of those apps where if you right-click it there's no uninstall option so you can only get rid of it with powershell.

ofc now that ive uninstalled it i fully expect to magically reappear every time i install a cumulative windows update.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

the f8 of the chomebook

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

press f8 to pay respects

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

no thanks, michaelshaft

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

you can disable it via GPO if you have pro, or using the equivalent registry key in home

in gpedit.msc go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Copilot > Turn off Windows Copilot (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/manage-windows-copilot)

general reminder that local/group policy is sacrosanct and anything you set in there will never be overridden by microsoft, lest they be forsaking every single enterprise customer and loving basically everything up.

there's a lot of stuff you can set via gpedit.msc that will permanently turn off dumb poo poo and it's annoying janitoring but it works.

r u ready to WALK posted:

we're not yet at the point where the lesser evil is blocking *.microsoft.com in your firewall and dealing with whatever malware you contract from not patching
but i feel like we're close

yeah cool that will work. also you'll have to block all this poo poo: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/urls-and-ip-address-ranges?view=o365-worldwide. and there's some other poo poo for defender on insane domains to block as well.

easier just to not use the OS.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

if you're running Win11 fire up services.msc and check to see if there are two GameInput services listed. apparently some time in the last four months microsoft decided to move the service from program files where it was installed via an appx package to system32 where it's a regular binary. however they didn't bother to put in some mechanism to remove the old package so the service will just start-crash-start-crash-start-crash over and over again for eternity.

to fix it you have to go to settings -> apps and uninstall the one called "Microsoft GameInput":

THE ARISTOCRATS!!!

edit: apparently it also affects Win10, well done microsoft gold star.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 12, 2024

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sweevo posted:

everything has to look and feel like a phone app now, including desktop OSes and five-figure enterprise software

are you suggesting that windows has to look like some kind of phone? a...dare i say...WINDOWS PHONE if you will!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pro-tip: if you want to remove the Giphy/Tenor GIF selector thingo from the Win+. emoji picker go to windows defender firewall and create a new outbound rule to block connections from %SystemRoot%\SystemApps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\TextInputHost.exe

THE ARISTOCRATS!