Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is this the mcdonald’s thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have mcdonald’s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

can you take that poo poo to the outlook thread? were talking about big macs

atm in nz they’re having a big mac promotion and you can get a small mac which is like half a mac and also a grand mac which is basically mac but as wide as a quarter pounder

they should definitely make a quarter pounder mac

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
as far as I can tell you can't set no password for windows without detaching from an account

at least thats how I rememeber

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

I believe this is true and microsoft accounts are going to be mandatory now so it will essentially be impossible to not have a password.

I detest logging into my own home pc gently caress this bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

lol skype was bought by MS in 2011. teams released in what.. 2017? no way they were thinking that far ahead.

slack and discord came out somewhere in between and ms has been trying to catch up to them ever since

discord is good because it refuses it let you get notifications to one than one logged in device at once and you can’t respond to pleas for help if you don’t get notifications for them *taps head*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

voidtools everything for filename searching, ripgrep for file content searching

I havent used voidtools but all I want is to hit the windows button and type something and I find it

does voidtools do that or is it a program I have to load by itself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I don't want no beta features

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

i use balsamiq sometimes

jesus christ what other perfectly good words can nerds ruin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't approve of that :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:argh: william
gates

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i never think, only post

I have this tattooed on my rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

powershell: the language of choice for those who eat rear end

🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m hungry for a career change

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I forget, was there any hype leading up to windows 11? I remember a lot of buzz before 8 and 10 but 11 just showed up one day and I haven’t had the energy to care

I think everyone was pissed off because 10 is totally fine and no one wanted new windows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you'll want fancyzones anyway, so no need to upgrade.

will there ever be?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is wsl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i mean don't answer that if I ever care I'll just look it up myself but it can't be that important or fun

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

wsl is the best desktop linux, ergo the best desktop linux is windows. hth echi

sounds like something dreamed up by an early 2000s website that was half slashdot and half the onion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

a few hours ago after a reboot i discovered that my audio output in windows had been set to mono. i guess at some point i must have accidentally clicked the button to enable mono output when i was changing output devices as i often do.

why microsoft decided to put that option front-and-centre in the sound settings is beyond me. literally the last thing anyone would want to enable.

lol I have it enabled

the sound system I use to make sound on my windows machine has one broken channel so I have both speakers running in parallel (I think) from the one channel that works and windows set to mono so I don’t miss anything

I also have a car subwoofer (a dual voice coil 12” running at 2 ohms off a large class D car amp) and I power the amp with a pc power supply which has all the 12v rails soldered together lol. it’s never caught fire. i’m amazed it can power the amp considering it’s designed to be run off a car power system lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it sounds good.. just mono

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one of my favourite piles of garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t get what’s going on in that picture

all I know about windows 11 is that it’s now less obvious what programs are open but minimised

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

huh?
I'm looking at my Windows 10 right now and I can't see any difference between programs that are open with a window, open maximised, and open minimised.

hmm maybe it's just the theme of the windows 11 pc we have at work. anyways

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao imagine installing an update

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who remembers my thread where I live posted NOT even restarting my computer for 100 days?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

i do, didn't the computer get desperate and start making more annoying update prompts or something?

initially it was, until I wrangled enough settings for it to leave me to compute in peace

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pile Of Garbage posted:

a common thing that im seeing in enterprise and government is forefront TMG (EoL 2009) instances running on windows server 2003 with >800 days uptime. good poo poo

this is the kind of stability our society needs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there are things you can turn off in the registry to prevent windows from taking your freedom away from you

it’s harder than ever to force windows to run without a password (so a restart takes it back to desktop) but it’s possible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
owned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle:

yes you’re right that’s how i’ve done it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for better or for worse I’ve managed to set up my computers in the requires-least-loving-around way so it’s been years since I did whatever I did so it doesn’t auto restart or requires password to log in etc, and I forget the details

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that paraphrasing? plz tell me that’s verbatim

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the paradigm where you’re constantly moving windows around and having to care which order you select them so that you can move files .. sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is as solid as a rock

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

me: hello bing what is the weather today

bing:

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the windows mail app, if you copy an email address from chrome or whatever it might literally copy into the clipboard "mailto:sagebrush@egghead.com" and when you paste that into windows mail you have to manually delete the "mailto:" a scenario so rare of course the devs never thought to address

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

they're right though. edge is just chrome but better. there's no reason to use chrome now

except that requires change

im old now. i'll vote against my interests to avoid change

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and given the idea of using macos without an apple
id seems ludicrous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately designing a good operating system is at odds with shareholder needs