Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Music: Title

Ib is a horror game made in RPG 2000 in 2012 by Japanese developer kouri, where you are a young girl who goes to an art exhibit, only for the art exhibit to invite you into it. Literally.
It was translated by vgperson, and it eventually somehow made it into my lap. As a speedrunner of this game's most flag-heavy ending, I thought maybe I should branch out and take it slow again, since nobody else here has played this game before (to my knowledge). The version I'm using for the main Let's Play is the 1.07 US version, or the last version of RPG 2000 Ib made, though recently kouri has said a remaster is in the works, which will cost money. I highly recommend if you enjoy this LP to buy that when it comes out, or to try the game yourself!

Will the thread get choices?
Yes, actually! My plan is to run through all of the endings, the Dungeon extra, and I might end up putting what I do next to you guys! Which is a great idea, as I've only ever gotten two endings legitimately in this game, so throwing me in half-blind might be great, if not end up getting repetitive. [I may end up covering this as starting from where it actually diverges, so it's not TOO repetitive, unless you REALLY want me to go around over and over.]

What extras will you cover?
Glad you asked. I plan to cover after all of the endings and the Dungeon's completion to show off the completed True Guertena Exhibit, as well as maybe dip my toes into some version differences and the infamous Ib: Green Edition as ending footnotes. If I ever finish the LP, that is. I may also dip into the remaster of the game if that's done before this is over, too. I will also cover the Remaster's new puzzles once I purchase the game!

Update schedule?
Usually I will try to update this thread once a day at the least, if not once a week, or maybe once every 4 months at this point, but I don't aim to update on Saturdays. This game is very short playing through knowing everything for one of the 'actual' endings (about 30 minutes to an hour), so I figure aiming for once a day updates will allow this thread to not immediately die off, but still encourage healthy conversation.

What should I look out for?
vgperson notes these triggers on their site for this game, so you might want to go look at another thread if any of these are sensitive to you. These are put under spoilers for people going in just knowing it's a horror game about art:
Minor jumpscares. A few instances of blood (not very detailed at all). Mention of hanging, and a person hanged offscreen. Very low-resolution nudity on one painting.

Constructive criticism?!
Of course! This is my first LP I'm posting, so feel free to tell me how horrible or well of a job I'm doing, and give me criticism on what I should do better (for example - being scared I'm adding too many images, should I really not?). You could also just vote.

Spoiler Policy
Please do not spoil any endings or plot twists! That is, unless we're past our first playthrough, at which point it becomes very clear the 'plot twists' there are. But don't spoil the endings themselves until I've posted their actual ending screen and it's played out the entire way through. Sure, you can infer things from the names, but don't be a moron and ruin the fun.

Anyway, because this is a very dialogue heavy-game, I want to clear up what is actual, in-game dialogue, and what might be additions made by me:

Actual game dialogue looks like this.

Additional quips added by me look like this.

With all of that cleared, make sure you get your vases ready and your roses protected, we're going into Ib!

Table of Contents

Main Game

Ending 1: Memory's Crannies
Into The Deep
Ants and Hands and Statues, Oh My!
Math and Men
A Puzzling Marriage
We Finally Have The Nightmare
The Gang's All Here
We Are Definitely Fine As Ib Said
I Heard Someone's Secret
Welcome to My World

Game Extras
Failing the Doll Room

Extras
Maps

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Into The Deep

Music: Prelude in B Minor

Ib and her parents were on their way to an art gallery...
"Did you remember everything, Ib?"
"Oh! Do you have your handkerchief? You know, the one you got for your birthday?"
"Keep it safe in your pocket, okay? Don't lose it!"

The black screen fades into Ib and her parents walking into the art gallery afterwards.

Music: Corelli la Folia

We're here today to see an exhibition of works by an artist named Guertena...
And they don't just have paintings, but also sculptures... and all kinds of other creations!
I don't doubt that even you'll enjoy it, Ib.
Should we get to the reception desk?
Ah, yes. Let's get some pamphlets as well.

They walk to the reception desk with Ib following behind. A second or two passes and then Ib turns to her mother.

Just make sure you're quiet in the gallery, okay? Don't make a ruckus!
Not that there's any need to worry about you, I suppose...
Don't cause the other visitors any trouble, now!

Unfortunately for Ib's mother, because I want this to have more content than the barebones of the first two sections of the game, I will be causing trouble and problems. We now gain control of Ib, and talking to her mother will cause her to repeat the last line over and over.

Since we also now have control of her, here's what the Gallery's first floor looks like:

Dad is talking with the receptionist...

In a daring move of completely disrespecting my mother's wishes, I decide to try to go behind the counter.

I hoped there was more dialogue, but the only thing that happens after this dialogue is she backs up, so I guess it's time to go to the right, where we see the first of many intricate and wonderful pixel works this game offers.

You don't know some of the words...

Talking to the woman next to us yields this dialogue:
:v: Hm... like looking down deep into the sea from the surface...

And, one of my favorite but missable dialogues from the guy with green hair:
:v: Man, if this thing were real, I'd probably pee myself, no lie...

This art is also above us:

"A Well Meaning ???"
You don't know this word...

Some of the painting titles don't have words, as you may have noticed already. Ib is a young child, maybe 10 or 12 years of age, and so her mental capacities are our own, in a way. This is also fun for later puzzles that we'll get to. For now, I opt to go down in the gallery, to a very, very familiar sculpture that we'll see multiple times.

"??? of Spirit"
Beautiful at a glance, but if you get too close, it will ??? pain. It can only bloom in ??? bodies.
You don't know some of the words...

Eventually, I circle back to the main room. I'm aware I'm not showing every art piece - mostly, I am showing significant pieces that eventually come back to haunt us. Ib's parents actually move through the gallery, which is a very nice detail for the build up to a horror game.

Jewelry with tiny little gems... It sounds beautiful!
Should we go see that together later?
Ib, have you checked out the second floor?
They've got a lot of displays that aren't paintings up there.

This is, of course, the game's way of nudging us towards where it wants us to go. While I do think the pixel art is one of the main draws to this game, we will eventually be getting to the action.

This oddly-lavendar haired man is standing in front of a painting, blocking its title. How rude of him. Anyway, beneath that is another very well made pixel art. These definitely aren't going to move later.

The nearby man has this to say about the piece:

:v: In my opinion... what Guertena is saying is that "the individual" lies in one's expression.
:v: Which is why these figures, don't have heads, see?
:v: Don't you think so?

We get three choices here: 'I guess so', 'Uh, sure...?', and 'I just think it's scary'.

Uh, sure..?
:v: Oof... as I thought. A girl like you wouldn't understand, not at your age... Sorry.
Oh... Okay.

Anyway, as I roam around the gallery, I see nothing else that catches my eye, except for this large mural. I mean, it's not like it's the thing that sets off the plot, right? :v:

The lights flicker and the music fades out.

..?
I'm not... in a horror movie, am I?

As we walk out, everyone is gone. Nobody else is here.

Mom? Dad?

We walk downstairs, the last place we saw them, and - the lights dim even further.

Music? - Asioto (Footsteps)

Of course, it wouldn't be a horror game if now everything became worse. Checking the window here produces a line of text basically telling us we're trapped...

...and then DEFINITELY just red paint. It's an ART EXHIBIT. The other window doesn't seem to do anything, luckily, but the entrance is also locked.

I just wanted to look around...

Going to the left further reveals nobody's around - the crowd around ??? of the Deep has gone off to wherever they are, which might just be Hell at this point. I also definitely don't jump when this happens.

It's complete with a cough and everything.

W-Well... as long as nothing else comes alive... maybe I should go back to the painting I saw.

This reveals a new blue liquid leakage underneath the painting. And then-

OH MY GOD BLOODY LETTERS. The liquid also changes its appearance, now spelling out a message:

"come down below ib ill show you someplace secret"

Below... down the stairs..?

I guess there's only one way... maybe my parents are here, too...

And with that, we take the plunge, Into the Deep.

Music: Inquiry

Where's that music coming from? Where am I..? This doesn't... feel like the sea.

Possible answers to that - and more - in the next update!

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 19, 2021

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, this is the first I've heard of Ib, but it certainly looks like it nails the mood.

Also, a Japanese horror game where the protagonist is a small child? Surely nothing too horrible will happen! Ib'll be fine. She certainly won't end up horribly traumatized, no sir.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ooh, interesting.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Ib is an absolute classic, and has always been rather my favorite of this type of RPG Maker horror games. The Witch's House has the big bad jumpscares and unfair deaths, but Ib has atmosphere. Happy to watch you show this off.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Neat! I would be interested in seeing the other art in a bonus update or something if you're up to it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The moment that NPC said "if that thing were real", I had to start laughing and I burst out loud with "bad news, my friend"

In the shelf behind me are two books about the deep sea

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Jadecore posted:

Ib is an absolute classic, and has always been rather my favorite of this type of RPG Maker horror games. The Witch's House has the big bad jumpscares and unfair deaths, but Ib has atmosphere. Happy to watch you show this off.

Yeah! Ib was actually my first horror game, and I do think it is more mellow, but the atmosphere and everything makes it a good introduction rather than, say, running from the multiple chasers in The Witch's House. I'll be the first to be honest that Ib never gave me nightmares, but The Witch's House did. However, there is still ONE THING in Ib that scares me, even as a speedrunner of said game, but that's not showing up soon.

Dirk the Average posted:

Neat! I would be interested in seeing the other art in a bonus update or something if you're up to it.

If you do all endings, I'm pretty sure the True Guertena Exhibit I was hoping to show off has all the art, and more art that is ending-specific. I'll definitely show it off if I have the time and motivation.

Shei-kun posted:

Well, this is the first I've heard of Ib, but it certainly looks like it nails the mood.

Also, a Japanese horror game where the protagonist is a small child? Surely nothing too horrible will happen! Ib'll be fine. She certainly won't end up horribly traumatized, no sir.

Of course not. It's fine. Everything's fine. :v:

Libluini posted:

The moment that NPC said "if that thing were real", I had to start laughing and I burst out loud with "bad news, my friend"

In the shelf behind me are two books about the deep sea

I think he more meant 'if that thing were moving in the ground right now', but if he just doesn't believe in anglerfish, that would be even funnier so I'm going with your explanation.

I'll be recording the update right now, where I will hopefully go through 2-3 areas of the game, so look out for that!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Oh neat, I haven't heard of Ib or seen anything by kouri before! I'm already liking the atmosphere so far, and the player's knowledge being limited by the character's understanding is pretty dang cool. Definitely enjoying the LP so far - thanks for sharing!

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Ants and Hands and Statues, Oh My!

Last we left off, Ib had just jumped into the "??? of the Deep", and now we have two paths.

Well... seeing the paintings... I think blue is better, right?

The hallway we choose has 'COME' on the walls, over and over. At the end of the hallway, we finally see... a door blocked by a rose on a table.

There's a rose sitting in a vase... Take the rose?

It's pretty... but... well, nobody's around.

Obtained the Red Rose.

At this point, we finally get the Red Rose, which acts as our health in this game. We start off with 3 petals, and now the game doesn't feel like it's weirdly empty, at least to me. :v:
We push the table it was on aside, to enter a room with a definitely not creepy painting, and a blue key.

There's something on the ground... Obtained the Blue Key.

That's creepy! Why did it open its eyes? I should... get out of here, and go back up those stairs.

The note below the painting says:
When the rose ???s, so too will you ??? away. You don't know some of the words...

Of course, this is a hint to the fact this will now act as our health bar. Unlike traditional RPGs, there are no encounters in this game, so the way we get hurt is in the overworld. Every petal is one hit, but luckily, there are vases around the world which can be used to replenish the rose, up to a maximum of 5 petals. I'll cover them more in depth later, though.

Of course, now we are being called a thief. I guess we did take that rose without parental guidance. And now we also have a new note:

You and the rose are ???
You must know the weight of life.

Detective reasoning leads me to believe the word is 'intertwined'. However, you can see the vase was also moved. Now, we can use it to heal our rose. The dialogue appears as this:

A vase full of water...
Place rose
Don't place

I guess I should... put it back..?

The rose returned to health!
The vase is out of water...

I should note, that these vases, specifically the brown ones, usually have only one use before they run out. But if you're good at the game, you generally won't need them unless it's for safety. Then again, I'm a speedrunner, what do I know? :v:

I tried to put it back... I need to go. I really need to go.

Unfortunately for Ib, because we moved out of the room, that sets off the stairs mysteriously vanishing. She and us are now trapped here, wherever here is.

I've got a really bad feeling about all of this...

I didn't mention it before, but these books - including the one at the reception desk at the beginning of the game - are where you will go to save your game. The game gives you a generous 15 slots, which is great for getting every ending. If you die, you have to reload a save, making some parts of the game really, really tense, as you don't want to have to redo an entire sequence of events if you die.
The painting over there is called "The ??? Fish". After saving and inspecting the door, we get a message:

Used the Blue Key.

It's less inspecting and more like 'just facing the door'.

And now we're in another area! You may be thinking that one black pixel is a graphical glitch, but it's not. It moves around, and it's actually an NPC you can talk to... which is an ant. You may expect this dialogue.

:v: "i'm an ant. i love paintings. my painting is especially cool. i'd like to see it again, but it's kind of far away..."

Talking ants? Have I gone mad?

All the paintings here have dialogues of "A painting of a [animal here]...", so I won't type them all out, because I assume most of you have eyes. Going to the right reveals this room, with 4 paintings and a green door.

The paintings here are titled from left to right:
"Prologue"
"Chapter 1"
"Chapter 2"
"Last Chapter"

Of course, it depicts a life of a caterpillar, from birth to butterfly, which also is, technically, death. Going through the door reveals that there's a rather large hole in the ground, so we have no choice but to go to the main Green Area room again. I don't get why Ib can't just jump across it, but it's a horror game, and horror games need puzzles.

The plaque in the main room reads this:
"Beware the edges"

Beware the... edges..?

Ah! It ripped a petal off of the rose - it hurt! But... why did it hurt?

So, here's the first 'enemy' of the game: these hands that come out of the walls, spanning one tile. There was actually also a glitch, in previous versions, with the first time these hands appeared, in that the second one on the right actually did no damage. It's technically a speedrun strat to just run on the right and tank that one hit in those versions, but I legitimately forgot that this version doesn't have that, so there goes 2 petals for my stupidity.
In game, they all wave around, and the pattern is one right, one left, and then both sides, and one right at the end in the middle so you don't get TOO comfortable.

We are rewarded by a save point, and the picture of the ant that the ant so desperately wanted to see. Though of course, there's a reason we need this picture.

A painting of an ant...
.....?
It looks like it can be taken off the wall...

I should show this to the ant... Wait. It's also... like that hole.

Obtained the Ant Painting.

Talking to the ant with it also reveals unique dialogue.
:v: "oh. that's my painting. it's just as cool as i remember it. *stare*"

I really always loved the ant. Unfortunately, the painting's time is over. :black101:

You can't cross this hole in the floor... Lay down the Ant Painting?

I'm sorry, ant.

Laid the Ant Painting over the hole.

...Oh. That's worse.

The next room has a Death of the Individual statue there, as well as the last painting in the set, "Epilogue" - and a Green Key.

Can I... take this key?
:v: ...
I'll take that as a yes.

:eek: I'm sorry!

This sets off our first small chase of the game, where this slow-ish Red Death of the Individual chases us. Unfortunately, when we cross over the painting once more, it becomes a hole - but also fortunately, as a crashing sound later, we can infer that the Death of the Individual is now as dead as it can be. Or at least trapped, and probably not good at climbing.
Talking to the ant afterwards also has more dialogue.

:v: "what happened to my painting?"

:(

However, after all of that, we can finally exit the Green Area, and go to...

Cat?

This is what I call the Cat Area. You may notice that fish-shaped hole. We will be filling it, but first, we must to to the left. A little fellow is on the wall, along with curtains on the other pillars. Walking past the man will make a yellow message appear, which is what we need to do to start getting out of the Cat Area.

:v: "Play hide and seek?"

This sets off a game of hide and seek, one of the RNG puzzles that was added after 1.02. I will discuss the differences in depth in a bonus, but all you really need to know is that the puzzle has 3 places he can spawn in, and the speedrun usually involves just checking those three.

However, because this is a Let's Play, I will pretend I do not know this information.

The main part of this is going around and pressing those yellow buttons to try and find the guy. Each button can have something as harmless as something that darkens the room, or cuts out the music, to something that costs you a petal, or something that trips a flag for a certain ending.

Such as this.
...You saw a very sinister painting...

Is that... no. It can't be me.

The next button I press reveals a painting of the moon, darkening the entire room, and then luckily, I find the guy.

:v: "Found me, you get prize."

We hear the sound of something being placed down. It should be noted that even after we find 'the guy', we can continue to open paintings in the room.

The red hand definitely probably scared some first time players, but now, we will collect our reward. Perhaps in another ending I will be able to show off the other more sinister paintings, as well as the one in the room, because, well, there's currently a giant red hand blocking it.

There's something on the ground... Obtained the Wooden Fish (Head).

Now, as we go to the left...

Why are the lights flickering?

This room is always tense for me. It's just so creepy. And one of the statues, well...

How did it not hurt me?

There's something on the ground... Obtained the Wooden Fish (Tail).
You combined the wooden fish head with the wooden fish tail... Obtained the Fish Key.

Oh... of course! The cat wants a fish!

There's also a vase here. I take it for safety. The painting here also has no name, but I view it anyway, and go back to the main room.

There's a fish-shaped hole in the wall... Insert the Fish Key?

Here you go, kitty.

This is one of my favorite parts. It meows, and there are differently pitched meows as the path opens up. It's so cute but also creepy in a way. Anyway, the music doesn't change, but we finally have a new area open up to us, which I just call the Puzzle Area, even if both would probably be better suited (and probably are called) the Yellow Area.

This place is so weird.

Next update: We are forced to do math and use more logic.

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 11, 2021

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

dervival posted:

Oh neat, I haven't heard of Ib or seen anything by kouri before! I'm already liking the atmosphere so far, and the player's knowledge being limited by the character's understanding is pretty dang cool. Definitely enjoying the LP so far - thanks for sharing!

Thank you for reading! I definitely wasn't expecting to wake up to people commenting, as this is a pretty obscure game, in my opinion. Though, I guess by sharing it here, all of you can see it as well. I really hope you enjoy the updates, even if sometimes I feel like my humor falls flat.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This game looks very sweet and charming so far, I'm just curious at what point the horror is supposed to start. :allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As much as I like Ib, it bugs me VGperson never re-translated it to "Eve" which would make a lot more sense.

I think one of my favorite things is that the game won't let you read words she wouldn't understand, so you're put into the same sort of perspective. In the original, I think they used complex kanji to represent that but I don't recall it's been awhile.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Libluini posted:

This game looks very sweet and charming so far, I'm just curious at what point the horror is supposed to start. :allears:

It's more of an atmospheric horror, but later down the line is where the more unsettling parts come in, and where the one thing that still scares me is. There's also a bonus dungeon I've never played, which I plan to cover after doing all endings, so I hope that's at least a bit creepy. As another person put it: It's not like The Witch's House with unfair deaths and jumpscares and chasers.

Acerbatus posted:

As much as I like Ib, it bugs me VGperson never re-translated it to "Eve" which would make a lot more sense.

I think one of my favorite things is that the game won't let you read words she wouldn't understand, so you're put into the same sort of perspective. In the original, I think they used complex kanji to represent that but I don't recall it's been awhile.

I've never actually picked up a Japanese copy of the game myself. The versions I have are Ib 1.02 (in English and Korean - I actually had to piece the Korean version together myself), Ib 1.05 in an unspecified language that doesn't want to work, and 1.07 in Chinese, UK and US English, which is why I said 'US' in the post. The reason I have to differentiate them? The 1.07 UK version has faster text scroll, for some reason, which actually makes it, at this time, the fastest Ib version. (I also have Ib: Green Edition, that fangame that was supposed to be nuked off the internet.)

I have no update ready yet - I just wanted to interact more with the thread. Of course, I'll put any differences I've noticed in bonuses as well, such as puzzle differences - since vgperson actually did change one particular puzzle around in their translation, I think.

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 12, 2021

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Acerbatus posted:

Oof, that's a much more ominous name for our protagonist. Still, everything will turn out ok, right? :shobon:

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Math and Men

This is one of my least favorite parts of the early game. So much so that you literally just remember the solution for the speedrun, but for the purposes of the LP, I will be going through this puzzle. The painting there is actually an enemy that is used twice in the main game - it'll spit at you, and if you walk on the spit, you take damage. This puzzle, as I said last update, forces us to do math and use logic.

Looking at the mostly white painting has this dialogue:
A totally white painting...

Of course, we know that's bull, as it has ONE PIXEL of a light red, so we inspect it again.
...Looking closer, there's actually a small number in the center...

Huh... a red 9...

There's a paper near the corridor down, which reads:
"Just when you've forgotten..."

Of course, this is the game bringing back the hands for the final time in base game. Just avoid the edges and we'll be fine.

Making our way up and to the left, we come to a yellow door with the message "The Liars' Room" next to it. So why don't we go inside? Nothing bad can happen. :v:

And here's my least favorite puzzle to do casually. I actually looked up the solution on my first playthrough, and I've totally forgotten how to do it. The gist is you must read all 6 messages, find out which one is true, and then do what it says.

The green one says this: "Stand in front of the statue, go west 3 steps, then south 1 step. That's the answer!"
The brown one says this: "Stand in front of the statue, go east 4 steps, then north 2 steps. That's the answer!"
The yellow one says: "The one in white speaks the truth!"
The blue one says: "The only truth-speaker wears green!"
The white one says: "Stand in front of the statue, go east 2 steps, then south 2 steps. That's the answer!"
And the red one says: "I agree with the one in yellow!"

We could just try every answer after the other, which I will do as I'm stupid and I don't want to spoil myself again.

This is what the room itself looks like - where you start there and then go to whichever your brain or heart desires.

So... west 3 steps... south 1 step...

Doing the Green's answer will cause poison to erupt from the loose tile, causing you to lose 2 petals.

What was that..?

Next up we'll try the brown one's answer.

There's a number on the back of the tile...

A red 9, and a purple 4...

After you pull up that tile, you hear a cacophony of noises, which prompts Ib to turn around.

Huh? What happened?

Every painting has now killed the brown one, and all their messages now shout "Liar!". Did I mention the music also cuts out, and that they didn't have weapons before?

:stare: I'm... leaving.

The music comes back on afterwards, and I interact with a doll.
A doll dangled from a rope...

This causes one to fall, which can also randomly happen.
There's a doll on the ground... The doll's clothes have a small number on them...

A red 9, a purple 4, and a green 18. I have a feeling it has something to do with that door...

There's a password on the door...
"Green X x Red X + Purple X = ?"

That's... a big number, right?

Plugging in the numbers gets you 18 x 9 + 4. Opening the Calculator app is also free, which will give us the answer of 166.

There was a sound...

Yeah... a big number.

In here is an apple on a tree sculpture, which we will be taking, for reasons I forgot to show earlier. Oops.
Obtained the Wooden Apple.

The painting in here is called "Apple Born of a Tree", a pretty apt name for it. On the way back down from unlocking the door, a second hand will appear in the corridor, but I'm too cool to hit it.

Finally going to the right, that message reads:
"BEWARE OF LIPS"

We retrieved the apple so these lips don't snack on us.

:v: "Hungry... Give food... That food... Give to me..."
Give the Wooden Apple?
Sure. Here you go.
Placed the Wooden Apple in the mouth...

It makes a crunching sound, as well as an eating animation.

:v: "This tasty... I let you pass now... Go through my mouth..."

Um... okay.

Going through the mouth leads us to the last room of the area.

If you hesitate there, that automatically is a Game Over. I suppose the implication is that Ib's head gets cut off. Wicked. [I apologize for the grain - I had to compress it for LPix.]

Music: Disappearance

Our reward is a new area, and finally, new music.

Huh... a new area.

...creepy...

The painting there, where the man ran past, is called "Breath". I really cannot stress enough how much I love the paintings in this game. There is also a secret path to the other painting we saw at the beginning, called "Soul-???ing ???".

It should be noted we are finally in Episode 2 from the save list.

You may wonder why there are party icons. We'll get there soon enough - very soon.

This room has two big statues, as well as multiple paintings. I will cover the statues for now, and hopefully cover the other paintings in other endings, as I don't want this update to get TOO long.

This one is named "Uh".

And this one "Ah".

But really, the one artwork we're looking for right now is this.

Say hello to the slowest variant of the Ladies. Right after this, she'll break free from her painting and chase us, while also dropping a key. It's very easy to kite Ib's enemies when there's only one on the screen, luckily.

There's something on the ground... Obtained the Red Key.

After this chase, we unlock the door in the middle. It's not abundantly clear, but we must check the bookcase to open the next door we're on.

...It's a storybook drawn in crayon...
Sure, I'll read it.
You turn the pages...

This actually sets off a .mov if you decide to read it. Someone uploaded it to YouTube, so feel free to watch it. On the other side, it has a tendency to crash your game, so there is a way to not have to read it to continue, which involves choosing to not read it. Fortunately for me, my computer plays nice with this.

There was a sound...

Exiting the room, we are introduced to a new type of vase. The painting here is "Eternal Blessing", a hint to how it works. Basically, this vase never runs out of water. I of course take it because I'd have to be a fool not to. I also didn't show it, but there are unique graphics for putting your rose in vases.

Going to the right, we see...

Wait a minute... wasn't he...

The painting here is "??? Art", but the real focus is on Mr. Lavender Hair here.

:v: ".....Ugh......"
He's holding tightly onto a key...
Sorry, mister.
Obtained the Small Key.

Going now to the left, we see this. I'm pretty sure you can guess what happened here. The painting-less plaque reads "The Lady in Blue", and the message over there has a vase and 2 notes similar to the ones Ib read when she got her rose.

That man... has a rose! I have to get it!

Used the Small Key.

-gulp-

The sculpture here is called "??? Under Cloth", but the real battle is getting the apparently blue rose from The Lady in Blue. Moving towards her will cause her to notice you.

Aah! Come over here, you - I have to run!

Fortunately, the Lady in Blue, in this instance, is willing to follow Ib out of the room, allowing us to get the rose safely.

Or as safely as you can in this place, anyway.

:stare: She's fast.

Re-entering the room allows us to pick up the rose.
A rose with hardly any petals... Obtained the Blue Rose.

Luckily, doors keep the Ladies at bay, and we successfully take no damage retrieving the mystery man's rose. We also get to heal his rose, with the infinite vase.

Going back to the man, who's still laying down, causes a new cutscene.

:v: ".....Mmm.........."

..........What's this? The pain's gone..... ah?

He finally looks up at us.

Eeek!

Wh... what is it NOW?! T-There's nothing left for you to take, I tell you!!

W... wait... Dear me, could you be... A person...? From the gallery?!

W-well, yes.

So you are! Oh, thank heavens! There's someone here besides me!

The screen fades out with the current music.

Music: Blind Alley

I believe my situation was much the same as yours, from the sound of things.

He pulls out his blue rose.

Even down to these roses. Wounds appear on me when my rose loses its petals...

I thought I was a goner there... Thank you for getting it back.

Um... you're welcome.

.....Now, first things first... We had better find a way out.

I think I'll go mad if I stay in this dreadful place for too long...

Ah, I still haven't asked your name. My, that was rude of me!

Well, my name's Garry. And you are?

My name's... Ib. But some people call me Eve.

Ib... Ib, you say.

I can't very well leave a girl to wander into danger, no, no. ...So I'll go with you! Okay?

I think I've done okay, though-

Now, let's go, Ib!

HYEEEEEK!

Um... again, I think I'm fine, but...

I... I was just a bit startled! R-Really, that's all it was!

Anywayyy... Let's keep going, and watch out for such bizarre things as that!

I really love Garry's character. :allears: Anyway, now that we've gotten a new party member, onwards to the next area!

After someone moves this statue.

What a lousy place for this thing... Step back a tad, would you, Ib?

And... heave!

Ta-dah! Now we can proceed.

All right, let's go!

I have the feeling I'm doing more puzzles again.

Next update: A lousy wedding and a nightmare. But at least Garry's here!

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

insanitylock posted:

And here's my least favorite puzzle to do casually. I actually looked up the solution on my first playthrough, and I've totally forgotten how to do it. The gist is you must read all 6 messages, find out which one is true, and then do what it says.

The green one says this: "Stand in front of the statue, go west 3 steps, then south 1 step. That's the answer!"
The brown one says this: "Stand in front of the statue, go east 4 steps, then north 2 steps. That's the answer!"
The yellow one says: "The one in white speaks the truth!"
The blue one says: "The only truth-speaker wears green!"
The white one says: "Stand in front of the statue, go east 2 steps, then south 2 steps. That's the answer!"
And the red one says: "I agree with the one in yellow!"

We could just try every answer after the other, which I will do as I'm stupid and I don't want to spoil myself again.

If there's only one true message, then yellow and blue must be lying because otherwise there'd be two true messages. So green and white are lying, leaving brown.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Not The Wendigo posted:

If there's only one true message, then yellow and blue must be lying because otherwise there'd be two true messages. So green and white are lying, leaving brown.

My brain didn't want to work, but yes. That's what I get for creating an LP update right after I'd woken up. :v: I should've caught onto that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man that childrens' book was something. Did they do a translation from German for that? :v:

What's next, a nice little story about a crazy man chasing kids with a pair of scissors?

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Libluini posted:

Man that childrens' book was something. Did they do a translation from German for that? :v:

What's next, a nice little story about a crazy man chasing kids with a pair of scissors?

Perhaps! Maybe there'll be nicer stories on the other routes.

I also wanted to quote you so I could update you guys that I've decided I'll do updates every day except on Saturdays, so sorry to keep you waiting.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

No problems on the wait here, 6 updates a week is still plenty. I've enjoyed it so far, and would hate for you to get burned out.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I only got one of the endings, but I remember this being really good as indie RPGMaker games go. As someone upthread said, very concentrated on the atmospheric horror vs. lots of chasers and such.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

dervival posted:

No problems on the wait here, 6 updates a week is still plenty. I've enjoyed it so far, and would hate for you to get burned out.

Thank you! I also apologize for not having updated yesterday - real life hit and I legitimately forgot to check SomethingAwful.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I only got one of the endings, but I remember this being really good as indie RPGMaker games go. As someone upthread said, very concentrated on the atmospheric horror vs. lots of chasers and such.

Yeah! I've only gotten two endings in this game legitimately, but I plan to cover all of them because it'll be fun. Plus, the fact different endings need different flags which are caused by different actions means it won't get TOO repetitive. I hope.

There'll either be an update today soon or sometime this week, due to real life affairs. Sorry again! :v:

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

insanitylock posted:

Thank you! I also apologize for not having updated yesterday - real life hit and I legitimately forgot to check SomethingAwful.

Again, don't sweat it - real life is more important than LPs, and there's been enough content that I'm definitely still engaged after a couple days. This is just for fun! :keke:

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
A Puzzling Marriage

Last we left off, our protagonist and her new friend Garry have stumbled into the gray area. These paintings here are called "Grieving Bride" and "Grieving Groom" respectively, and the hands are both Grieving Bride's, with the plaques on them stating left or right.

This place really is weird, Ib... Let's move onwards, okay?

This is the Gray Area. Or Grey Area, depending on where you're from. It's a few puzzles that solve the bigger puzzle, this one being to put a ring on the bride. Luckily there was a save point just past the room I was able to load up from, so I figured I should show off, again, why there's portraits in this game on the save.

Garry has a little portrait of his own, aww. :allears: I'm sure that doesn't mean we'll get seperated from him later right? :v:

Anyway, moving into the 'main room' of the Gray Area has so far, a door, as well as...

A floor with eyes.

Why are there EYES on the FLOOR...?!

My other favorite thing to do is talk to the visibly red and irritated eye.

D... Does this lone eye have a congestion problem?

Thank you Captain Obvious. Going away from that hall causes all eyes to close, and there are some neat paintings and another door up above.

None of these paintings have actual names, just little description blurbs.

There's also this fellow on the other side - another NPC like the Mouth.

:v: "Ehehehe, hehehehehe... Flowers... Flowers're nice... Give me that there flower and I'll let you through... ehehe... Ehehe... your flower, pretty please?"
Don't give
Give Red Rose

The game automatically is hovered over don't give, because you can probably guess what happens if you do. While I'd love to show off this game's Game Over screen, I would only do it if I legitimately died in a run. Refusing him does this.

:v: "Aw, I'm begging you... I just wanna have a snifffff..."

She said no.

:v: "I just want it for a li'l bit... Ehehe, hehehehe, hehehehehe... Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!"

Let's not... talk to paintings like that again.

But what if it's a nice one?

Anyway, I finally go through the door near that crazy painting.

This is a simple puzzle where you push aside stools to get to the eyedrops. Of course I used the route that I'm used to, but I'm sure there's probably other ones, too.

There was that... bothered eye. Maybe it'll help us?

Going back to the eye opens another choice dialogue.

The congested eye is looking your way...
Stare back
Use Eyedrops

For once the menu is stuck on the time waster. I have many a time mashed Z too much and chosen to stare back. At least the dialogue is funny.

..........Um, Ib? What are you doing?

I apply the eyedrops to it next time.

Applied the Eyedrops to the eye...

The congestion was cured...

This eye's sprite for being cured is always so funny to me. Next it'll close it's eye, move underneath us in the floor (???), and stare at the wall near the top of the hall.

The eye you gave the eyedrops to is starting [sic] intently at the wall...

I never noticed there was apparently a typo here. You learn something new every day, I guess! :v: Of course, it closes itself again and we inspect the wall. I feel kind of bad walking over it. Do you think it feels like when you rub your eye but worse?

The wall is a slightly different color... Found a secret passage...

For the longest time, part of my brain confused this with a section in The Witch's House, and I swore after picking up the glass ball at the end of this place would cause a chaser to spawn and I'd be dead. Luckily for us, this is more atmospheric, but the tense claustrophobia of the hallway, the fact it's a bit wider on the end, new players may also feel the same. Then again, Ib's enemies have a penchant to hit you from the side if you pick up something near them. :v:

There's something on the ground... Obtained the Red Glass Ball.

Remember that white snake painting from earlier?

There's a hole in the eye... Put in the Red Glass Ball?

Congrats! We've done the first half of the puzzle. The painting that fell has this dialogue.

There's writing on the back of the frame... "Behind the big tree..."

This is a hint to the actual solving of the puzzle. For now, we will finally see what was in the first big door.

Say hello to my 3rd least favorite area of the game, as it currently stands. Here, 3 Red Death of the Individuals roam a maze with a switch in the middle. This is horrible to do because of enemy pathing with 3 enemies, and it's very easy to get sandwiched between two and get a game over.

Let's hope I use my brain for once.

The message at the beginning calls this 'art piece' "Labyrinth".

I... guess this counts as a sculpture? Be careful, Ib.

Luckily I find my way there without getting trapped. Yet.

There's a switch on the wall... Press it?

I probably need to.

There was a sound outside...

Now the hard part is getting out of the maze without dying. Luckily, the vase here DOES have water, but I think I have a clear path, and I get out without taking any damage.

Like I definitely always do. :smuggo:

Great job, Ib! That's a new door.

Let's see what's inside...

This is a room of sculptures. Better yet, the lights flicker here! From left to right, here are their names and dialogues:

"Wine Sofa"
A giant wine glass cut diagonally, and with a red cushion inside...

That doesn't look like very comfortable sitting...

-

"Melancholy"

Melancholy, huh. Well really, who wouldn't be in this place?

I should note that now that we have Garry, who is much older, sometimes he will be able to name paintings that Ib cannot, due to her limited knowledge. Unfortunately, I have no idea where else this happens.

-

"Puzzle"
A skeleton painted in all kinds of colors...

These aren't real bones, okay Ib?

I didn't think they were?

W-Well, you never know in this place. What about the last one?

"Feeling"
A tree sculpture that vaguely resembles a person...

You gotta be pretty clever to come up with this stuff...

This has to be the tree.

The 'big tree'? You're right, it's the closest thing to a tree we've seen. Careful now...

Something gleams amid the leaves... Obtained the Silver Ring.

Isn't this... a wedding ring? Now what would this be doing here?

The only thing left to do now is go back to the Grieving Bride and bequeath her ring unto her left hand's ring finger. Suddenly, both portraits smile, and the bride throws her bouquet.

There's a beautiful bouquet on the ground... Obtained the Bouquet.

Both of the pictures now read "Blessed Bride" and "Blessed Groom", as well as her hands also updating to this title.

Oh, I see now. You're going to give the bouquet to the painting so we can pass, aren't you? You're one smart cookie, Ib.

Thank you...

The dialogue from before repeats, so I won't retype it.

Here you go. A fresh bundle of flowers for you.

Handed over the Bouquet...

:v: "Ehehehe, thanks... It smells niiice..... eheheh. Well, chow time!"

:v: "Ahhh, that was good... eheheh. Thank you, thanks so much... As promised you can go through. Just take this door in... Well, see ya... eheheheh!"

I shouldn't question it anymore, but it's so... weird.

Before I met you, I went through a mouth.

Excuse me?!

Yeah. Let's go through the door... It's the only way forward.

Next update: We actually have the nightmare I promised we'd have this update. Oops.

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 16, 2021

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

dervival posted:

Again, don't sweat it - real life is more important than LPs, and there's been enough content that I'm definitely still engaged after a couple days. This is just for fun! :keke:

Thank you for understanding, and thank you for being engaged! That motivated me to at least put out an update where we go through one of the areas I said we would. I might also put out the first of our Extras soon enough, as a more low-effort type of thing than going through an entire area and coming up with a witty update name.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

insanitylock posted:

I should note that now that we have Garry, who is much older, sometimes he will be able to name paintings that Ib cannot, due to her limited knowledge. Unfortunately, I have no idea where else this happens.

Oh, with Garry with you, he'll tell Ib about pretty much anything she couldn't read before! He just generally doesn't comment on when he's doing it. If you backtrack and go look at books and descriptions that Ib didn't know all the words for, you'll get the full text without ???. It's a really nice touch that made me instantly really endeared to him.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I'm liking the LP so far, but I'm having some trouble understanding where things are in relation to each other. Are there any maps of the game that you can paste in that would help us to understand what each floor looks like?

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm liking the LP so far, but I'm having some trouble understanding where things are in relation to each other. Are there any maps of the game that you can paste in that would help us to understand what each floor looks like?

Sure thing! I'm sorry - sometimes I don't show where things are out of fear of clogging my updates up with photos too much, but I'll definitely see if I can find maps online someplace else, like with the music. I'll even go back in my past updates to update those if I can find them.

Jadecore posted:

Oh, with Garry with you, he'll tell Ib about pretty much anything she couldn't read before! He just generally doesn't comment on when he's doing it. If you backtrack and go look at books and descriptions that Ib didn't know all the words for, you'll get the full text without ???. It's a really nice touch that made me instantly really endeared to him.

I've never actually noticed that before. That's a really interesting feature!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jadecore posted:

There's also a couple where he says something like "I'll tell you when you're older."

Garry is really just the sweetest guy.

There's been a bunch of nice fanart on Twitter for Ib lately for whatever reason, but it's got spoilers.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Acerbatus posted:

There's also a couple where he says something like "I'll tell you when you're older."

Garry is really just the sweetest guy.

There's been a bunch of nice fanart on Twitter for Ib lately for whatever reason, but it's got spoilers.

I would guess the announcement of the remaster coming made a lot of dormant Ib fans exited.

Sorry for the lack of updates today! I had a major headache and I rested. I'll at least update my past updates with area maps tomorrow!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Hope you feel better soon!

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Extra 1: Maps

So, as it turns out, Ib's areas are very expansive, and while someone did create some maps for Ib, it was for 1.04, so I've brought it upon myself to stitch the maps by hand. I'll be updating the first update with the first floor of the gallery, but I want to take a break before continuing to stitch together the game's areas. Sorry for the lack of a real update today, but I'll use this post to also compile every map in case someone wanted to look at them without the update text walls. I'll provide a link to the full image as well as a TIMG for every one as it's a very, very large image for each area.

Apologies for Ib and all of her clones showing up.

Gallery, Lower

Gallery, Upper

Blue Area

Green Area

Cat Area

Yellow Area

Red Area
Under construction.

Gray Area 1
Under construction.

Gray Area 2

Purple Area

Brown Split Area

Purple Split Area

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 10, 2022

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The nightmare in the game may come in the next update, but I really shouldn't have caught up on this with the music while wearing headphones just before going to bed. :ohdear:

Goddamn this game just nails the mood.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I can't believe this hasn't been covered here before, it's such a classic of the genre. ... Which admittedly is very niche. Ib was the game that made me realise I could enjoy horror.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Shei-kun posted:

The nightmare in the game may come in the next update, but I really shouldn't have caught up on this with the music while wearing headphones just before going to bed. :ohdear:

Goddamn this game just nails the mood.

It really does! The more mindblowing part is that most of it wasn't all tailor made for the game, a lot of it is just stock free-to-use music with credits! Only the title screen and one music that's playing in the upcoming area were made for the game, I believe.

mycelia posted:

I can't believe this hasn't been covered here before, it's such a classic of the genre. ... Which admittedly is very niche. Ib was the game that made me realise I could enjoy horror.

Me too! Ib was my first horror game, and now I'm playing things like Dead by Daylight (the real horror is the server issues). I really couldn't recommend this game more to new players of the horror genre.

I will be going back to this soon, my health (mental and somewhat physical) has just been trying to kill me, apparently. I'll hopefully at least push out a few more maps and finally update the posts with them!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

insanitylock posted:

Extra 1: Maps

Thank you! This makes it a lot easier to understand how everything is laid out.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Happy 2022, guys! With that, I think it's appropriate to finally get going again...

We Finally Have The Nightmare

Area Map

Not pictured: Ib and Garry going through the door. Here, the paintings are "Unbalanced Box" and "Heart in Custody".

...Don't mind the paintings, Ib.

(It's just a trick of the eye...)

Anyway, after this long hallway is literal hell. Or at least, that's what I call it.

If you have eyes, you can tell this room is going to be another big one, but it's my least favorite for map reasons as well. I'm stitching together the map for this area as I go through this, so I apologize for the missing few maps that are before this one.

I wonder what the long halls are for...

Oh. That's it.

Hey, Ib, there are some doors over there! Maybe we can use them to take cover from the Lady in Red.

Or not! Try the other one!

That one asks me how many paintings of women there are...

We don't know the passwords (yet), but as you have probably guessed, this is another puzzle room. It's a rather long winded one as well, much like the room itself is.

Thankfully, the Lady one is rather easy - if you see the map above, you can count to 14 on three hands.

In here is a single-use vase, a notice, and a bookcase. You also hear a crashing sound right after you enter. This room will be revisited in another ending, but for now, let's read the note.

Some of the letters are missing...

On the bookcase there is a book called "Wonderful Days".

"The gallery is like an [sic] spooky amusement park with lots of strange things! It's so much fun playing here, the day was over before I knew it! Isn't it a fantastic place? Why don't you join me here? You'll never be lonely with all this company..."

Could that mean someone else from the gallery..? No, no, this has to be a trick. Come, Ib, let's go back outside and try to find that password...

Going to the door on the right yields it as locked right now, so instead, I look down.

Ah. This was one of the paintings in the gallery.

We then get three choices: to inspect the whole body, its face, or the clothes. Inspecting the whole body will yield this image:

Wait... the clothing...

That must be the password... and since it's upside down...

6295, right...?

Heading back up to the other side of the rooms... we get this fairly easy puzzle, if you can even call it that, after inputting 6295 into the door.

There was a sound...

This unlocks the rightmost door for us.

This also unlocks a friend.

Gaaah! That wasn't here before!

Just... ignore that as well...

Anyway, entering the rightmost door has this room. And also yet another shattering of glass.

Just a mirror..?

We do look okay, I suppose... Aggh, what am I saying. Let's go, Ib.

A mannequin head...

What the... When did this get into the room..?

Maybe if we look in the mirror again, it'll go away.

..........Hm?

EEEEEK!! W-Wh-WHAT is THAT?!

Y...

Why, you.....!

Then we get a choice to either cover our eyes, or stop Garry. For this run, we're going to stop Garry, because no don't do that didn't you see the note in the room?

What about that message about destroying property? Wouldn't it be... um... it would be...

.....R-Right, Ib. My, that was immature of me...

Well... let's go.

All that hard work unlocked the fastest lady in the game, the Lady in Green, but more importantly a key. I'm pretty sure this is the only time you see her actually chase you, unless the bonus dungeon I've never played has her more frequently in it. I'm also definitely taking damage for this screenshot, but we have to pick up that key for the door on the bottom.

There's something on the ground...

With all the enemies running around, you might think the fact I called it hell is apt. It gets worse.

The next Lady also breaks out, and while there WAS a save option there, I'm not taking any chances.

That door leads to this comfy little room, with a very familiar sofa... and also a bookcase that definitely isn't conveniently placed there for Garry to use.

The big painting here is titled "Couple".

It depicts a familiar man and woman... These two are.....!

Wh..?

This is a painting of... my parents!

Huh?! The people in this painting are your dad and mom?

There's a pause here in the dialogue, which I think really fits the tone of this scene, but I'm not recording a gif for one frame to stand still for 2 seconds.

Aha... They do resemble you a bit, Ib...

But why would such a painting be down here?

Maybe they're here, too. If so, where are they...?

Ah? Where are they? Hmm... Well, I can't say that I know either.

D-Don't worry. They must be somewhere!

(I thought she was a tough kid, but this is even getting to her...)

A-Anyway... maybe we could rest on the couch?

Yeah... Let's go, even though I...

Wh... are you kidding me? The door was wide open...

Then something pounds on the door. Loudly.

T-That sound... is that coming from outside?

Something's at the door... Be careful, Ib.

Music: Uneasiness (with a lot of sound effects, so sorry, but I can't capture this one)

This starts off the ACTUAL HELL part of Hell. Here, everything in the entire map comes alive, and sieges you, and you must run out or die trying.

The bookcase in front of the window? That's meant to be moved by Garry, but I forgot you can't move it once the 'siege' happens, so one extra Lady will break into the room. However, as I am a speedrunner, I know an awesome way to make this room useless. Sort of.

This lets you leave early, without kiting the Ladies, but I did take damage due to my impatience. Then you must navigate the halls of ladies and mannequins without dying, which, thankfully, I did.

Here the music fades to nothingness.

*pant*... *pant*.... Th..............

That should be... far enough... I think...

We certainly showed THEM!

My... well then...

Ib's sprite has been getting more and more tired over the course of these dialogues, but out of fear of clogging up the LP with images, I'm only going to show the gif at the end of it, with a dialogue transcript below.

Let's keep go... ...Ib?

Oh my, what is it? Are you okay?

I-Ib?! Stay with me, now! Ib! IB!!

As it fades to black, we are now finally into the nightmare that Ib has after, well, that nightmare-inducing running away.

Music(?): Tokei (Clock)

We hear Ib's frantic footsteps on a black screen and a lone ticking clock.

Then she goes through a series of doors - there are whams and such like from the last scene that imply something is chasing her, and she's running from it. The second one is locked multiple times, before opening on its own, into...

Here the clock gets very discordant, and there's a heartbeat, until the clock echoes, on the black screen of finality. I recorded a video of both the chase and the nightmare, which you can view here.

And then we wake up under Garry's coat.

He walks over to us.

Music: Memory

I... I had a nightmare...

I see... You poor thing... I can't say I'm surprised...

Being exposed to such frightful sights... you know?

Perhaps I should have woken you. I'm sorry, I didn't even notice...

.....? There's a piece of candy...

You can have that. Feel free to eat it.

Let's rest here a while longer before we set out again.

After this we regain control of Ib, and can do multiple things, like save, pick up Garry's coat, heal, talk to Garry, etc, in a completely safe room where the magical title extension happens.

Of course I'm going to pick up my favorite character's coat.

Oh, my coat... Thanks, Ib.

Handed over the Coat...

The painting here is called "Untitled", and the note next to the save station has some rather interesting gallery rules.

"Rules of the Art Gallery"
"No loud conversation No photography No food or drink No touching the displays No fountain pens No leaving ever"

When you read it a second time, it seems to loop around to "No running in the building". I had never actually seen this before, so I was even questioning my own eyes. I could be wrong, but it did have something like that before I tried checking a second time. Here are two of the conversations Garry can have with you:

You know, this is actually the first time I've seen a blue rose.

Not even at flower shops have I ever seen one. I wonder if these really exist?

-

Ib... We might need to keep walking for a while.

I may not be the most reliable person for such a situation...

But if you find yourself thinking, "I can't take it anymore!", just tell me, okay?

If need be, I'll try to carry you on my shoulder.

-

Garry really is the sweetest guy. However, we must move on.

...yeah.

Okay! Let's get going, then!

Next Update: Roses are red, roses are blue, what other colors can roses do?

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 4, 2022

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I really, really, really don't want to accidentally look up spoilers, but I also really want to see that part in video.

Excellent update, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Shei-kun posted:

I really, really, really don't want to accidentally look up spoilers, but I also really want to see that part in video.

Excellent update, and I look forward to seeing where things go from here.

I might end up recording a short video of the entire chase sequence and nightmare and adding it in. At the time I had already spent 2 hours on the update, since I don't record these, I take screenshots and gifs as I go, so I didn't exactly want to redo it, haha.

EDIT: I recorded a video of the chase and nightmare sequence and linked it after the chase and gifs for you guys.

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 4, 2022