Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
The Gang's All Here

Area Map

Music: Dining Room

Now we're finally in a new color area, this time being purple, along with new music for this 'dungeon'. After stepping down from the stairs, in front of the purple door, you'll hear three knocks, and Ib will look towards the door.

...Careful, Ib.

Going up to the door yields text: It's locked...

Looking inside yields a black screen with the text .....You don't see anything.....

We have nothing else to do but go to the right in this case.

...you're not going in that maze, right?

Here is an optional maze puzzle. At the worst it kills you, and at the best, it holds an increase for a variable for another ending, so we'll definitely revisit it later in-depth.

A little further ahead is this strange puzzle. Interacting with it causes a little interaction between Gary and Ib.

"Milk Puzzle"

Ib, have you heard of milk puzzles?

You get a choice between having heard of them and not. For this run, Ib is unaware.

I haven't.

Well, as the name implies, it's a puzzle where all the pieces are white like milk.

Since there's no picture on them, they're much harder than regular puzzles.

Very smart people can finish them in no time at all, but...

To be honest, they're not exciting. Since they don't even make a picture in the end...

It feels much more worth it to do a puzzle of a picture you like.

After that, I take the save and go over to this painting, which is animated.

"Fleeting Thoughts on a Moonlit Night"

Onwards to the left, we encounter yet another locked door, and yet another mirror.

What's the story with this panel here...? Can we put something in?

...I'm not getting any ideas. Let's look around some more.

This is a call to go down, obviously. This is a kind of long-winded area for a single answer. However, as soon as we go down...

Hrrr...

Strong as always, Garry pushes aside the statue.

Whew...

Okay, that should do it!

What Garry failed to notice is the cord on the ceiling.

A cord hangs from the ceiling...
Pull
Never mind

Pulling it causes a clicking noise, and now we can exit the room.

Unlocked the door...

As you can see, the earlier weird light fixture in the main room now has produced a message in purple paint.

There's some text on the wall... "What is the title of the large floor painting in Guertena's exhibition?"

Gah... Could it be a password? The big fish painting, right? Did you see that one, Ib? But what was it... I think it was... Something of the deep?

Hm... What was that word...? Ib, can you give me a letter to jog my memory?

Of the deep... what of the deep...?

R...? A...? V...?

If you will recall way back in Part 1, we saw a painting called "??? of the Deep". Not even Ib knows the letter we must put in. Luckily, we, the player, can probably infer what the first letter is considering its aquatic nature.

A... byss of the Deep..... Ah!

Yes, that was it, Ib! "Abyss of the Deep"! .....Did you read the title?

I mean, I tried to, but I couldn't even make out the word.

Okay, let's remember that! "Abyss of the Deep"!

Since we unlocked the purple door we used to come down here, we have a shortcut to the password door.

It's locked...

What's the story with this panel here...? Can we put something in?

Let's try it... "Abyss of the Deep"...

There was a sound...

Before we go in, I'd like to note as a fun little fact that this mirror is actually different than the one in the Gray Area.

This definitely won't become relevant soon.

The door unlocks into this room, with an ominous-looking painting and bookshelves. If anyone here has played Ib, one of these books are not as innocuous as they seem. For now, on the right side, in the middle, is a book about the ladies of the gallery.

"The women here... Like playing "Loves Me, Loves Me Not.""

On left, on the very end, is the culprit, however, in the interest of leaving this certain piece of content unwritten, I will leave you with the title in Ib's eyes: "???".

I have no idea why this is in the game. After Ib reads two sentences, this happens:

Garry closed the book...

...Wait until you get older to read this kind of stuff.

The real star is the painting, which is named so:

"Separation"

Garry separates from us for this dialogue. Oh no.

What an off-putting painting...

Wh-What?! The lights?!

I-It's too dark to see...!

I-Ib! Are you there?!

We get the choices to answer I'm here, I'm not, or plain old silence, represented by ..........

I'm not.

What are you saying... Of course you're here!

But, this is a problem... Ah, that's right.

I forgot I had a lighter.

IN AN ART GALLERY.

Music: Uneasiness

.....Huh?

He walks away a bit and looks around.

Ib walks over to him.

I don't think this is... good for my mental health...

Looking at the painting again reveals a new title: "S T O P". I think it's time to leave before Garry goes insane, though.

Right... this is an art gallery, still, I suppose... Sorry, Ib.

Another nice touch: After Garry lights his lighter, the mirror here will start to... be a little quirky. Here are two of the additional mirrors that you can stumble upon, I may document the rest in other endings or an 'extras'.

Going back to the left, we see...

...definitely just red paint footprints...

...that leads to a magical new opening?

Could that be...?

Someone else? Or another creepy enemy.

Well, let's keep our hopes up, Ib. We can't be the only two here.

Ahh?!

Whoa, are you okay?!

Music: Puppet (Mary's Theme)

In comes another person! (Fun fact: this is a .mid, so the 'ost' versions on YouTube tend to play the faster original version, while it plays slower in game.)

Mary gets up.

Ah! Wait!

Hey, are you... Could you be one of the visitors to the gallery?!

Ah...!

As I thought...

We were in the art gallery, but soon enough found ourselves lost in this odd place...

So now we're both trying to find a way out.

Presumably, you're doing the same?

I... I was looking to see if there was anyone else too... I wanted to get out... So I...

Ah, I knew it! Well, would you like to come with us?

Huh..........?

It's dangerous to be alone here. There are lots of strange creatures around.

So will you come with us? I think it would be best if we all stay together.

Yeah! I'll come.....!

Then it's decided! Oh, what's your name?

Mary.....

Mary, then! Nice to meet you!

...Yeah!

Sure.

...Yeah!

I like the 'Yeah' she gives back when you say 'Sure'. It's been too long for me to remember if she says the same thing to the other choice, but it's funny either way.

All right! Now that we have more company, we can proceed with our spirits high!

Yay!

Then they recede into Ib.

Now that we have Mary, the game gets a lot more dialogue-heavy, especially for the upcoming segment.

The painting you've seen multiple times during the screenshots is called "The Force of Quarrel". However, before we can leave, Garry will force us to use a nearby vase.

After using the vase, yet more dialogue appears.

Say... Seeing as Ib and I both have roses... Mary, do you perhaps have a rose as well?

...Yeah, I do! A yellow rose!

Ah, so you do! You two keep those safe.

Don't you dare lose it. And don't give it to anyone. And...

Wooow, Ib's rose is reeed! My rose is yellooow!

I like yellow, but I also like pink! Oh, and blue!

...Learn to listen, would you?

Now that that's settled, we can finally go onwards.

The note here reads: "Which one is it really?".

Going up further reveals a save station, two doors, and a painting. The door on the right is locked, so all we have is the door on the left to go into. The painting here is named "Flowers of Jealousy", and for flowers, they seem pretty small right now.

Enter the Bunny Zone. The cute little painting here is called "Red Eyes".

...the love of... This painting, this room... Why must it be so unsettling?!

Huh? Really...? I think it's cute...

Wha...?! What about this is CUTE?!

I just think it is... What about Ib?

We get the options of It's cute, I wanna pet it, Not sure.

I wanna pet it.

...Ib... Do you... really like this kind of thing...?

I can hardly stomach it...

Garry... you're just a weirdo!

You're the weirdos! ...Ugh, never mind that!

Let's investigate this place and get out of it already!

I feel like I'm being watched in this room... Talk about unsettling.

I swore for a second, my Ib game flashed while I wasn't looking. Anyway, in the left book pile, there's a book.

"Ruin of the Heart"
"If your mind suffers too much, you will soon start to hallucinate... And in the end, it will break apart. And more worrying yet... Is that you will not even be able to recognize that fact."

After reading the book...

The rabbit ornament is shattered... Something gleams amid the shards... Obtained the Violet Key.

And right after a nightmare, too...

However, as we walk to the other door...

Huh...? That sound's... getting closer...

?!

Something came up from the ground!

T-This is bad! Get away from the painting!

Ib! Watch out!!

..........!

Everyone reconvenes on their sides of the vines.

Are you two all right?!

Ahhh... That scared me!

Ib? Are you hurt?

Our choices this time are No, That was scary.

No.

G... Good...

But with these... things in the way, I can't get over there...

Maybe I can cut it down? .....Wait, what's this?

These vines are made of stone...

What to do...

Maybe that key...

Opens that door there? We might find something to get rid of these in another room.

So, hey, can we go look?

Hmm... well... I wonder if you'll be okay...

I think so...

See, Ib thinks we'll be fine!

M-My... is that so...

Well, I guess it's worth a try...

But if you don't find anything, make sure you come straight back, okay?

Then we'll rethink about what we can do.

Yeah! Got it! Okay, let's go!

You can talk to Garry as well again before you go off... leading to another typo, which I have corrected below.

Be careful, you two!

Next update: We are definitely fine like Ib said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Party separation is always a good sign that everything is going well and that the situation is under control.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Two things.

Firstly, thank you so much for recording and uploading that video! You're correct in that it really did need to be watched to capture just how creepy it is. I'm not sure I could keep my cool long enough to properly play this game, myself, but it's definitely a well designed and executed game.

Secondly, I should not have watched that and read the latest updated right before going to bed. Why do I keep doing this to myself :psyduck:

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

SIGSEGV posted:

Party separation is always a good sign that everything is going well and that the situation is under control.

Definitely. This is because nothing will happen at all.

Shei-kun posted:

Two things.

Firstly, thank you so much for recording and uploading that video! You're correct in that it really did need to be watched to capture just how creepy it is. I'm not sure I could keep my cool long enough to properly play this game, myself, but it's definitely a well designed and executed game.

Secondly, I should not have watched that and read the latest updated right before going to bed. Why do I keep doing this to myself :psyduck:

Haha, this is a pretty tame game in comparison to other horror games, in my opinion, but as it was my first horror game, it took me a long time of consuming YouTube videos about the game before I actually played it and somewhat desensitized myself to it.

That will all come undone if ever I do the bonus dungeon, as I've literally never watched videos about it, as well as a certain ending.

I started on the beginning of the update, but I fear that mapping out this part of the game may end up delaying the update, as well as the fact it's so drat long and dialogue-heavy. (It's also the only area of the game that has something that still scares me to this day, years after playing it, so I get to face THAT fear.) I may end up splitting it into two parts if I feel like it would take too much mental energy, but for now the opening part of it lives on my PC, and I'm trying my best to work on it :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If an update ever feels overwhelming, it's best to stop and take a step back. LP Burnout is real.

I cannot imagine anyone will complain if you split the update into two parts for your own sanity.

Well, okay, I can imagine someone might complain, but we don't have to care.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Shei-kun posted:

If an update ever feels overwhelming, it's best to stop and take a step back. LP Burnout is real.

Agreed. No one here should feel entitled to an update, and I've greatly appreciated what you've shown so far personally. Burnout sucks and I'd hate for anyone to experience it, even over an LP.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Shei-kun posted:

I cannot imagine anyone will complain if you split the update into two parts for your own sanity.

Well, okay, I can imagine someone might complain, but we don't have to care.

dervival posted:

Agreed. No one here should feel entitled to an update, and I've greatly appreciated what you've shown so far personally. Burnout sucks and I'd hate for anyone to experience it, even over an LP.

Thanks for the support guys! I'm sorry for the weird update pacing. I've unfortunately also been infected by the meme of Critically Acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV.

I know it's not entirely a let's play update, but I thought you guys should know that Ib finally has a Steam page for its rerelease, so if you're enjoying this and want to directly support kouri, wishlisting this game and keeping an eye on it might be worth it! I know I'll probably buy it, if not make an extras post about it if it somehow comes out before I'm done the game. It boasts new graphics and new music!

I'll be working on the new update soon, but it is a very long section where you're split up, and it's pretty heavy, but we're almost towards the end... of our first ending! Yay, applause!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Welcome to Eorzea, no you don't get to leave, also Tataru will steal your heart.

She's just so adorable (and devious)!

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
And as four months passed...

Before anyone comes at me: I got tangled up in things and broken up with, to say the least, so updates slowed (if you can take that lightly). But now that the remake is out (and also in English), I feel like I should cover the free version more in case people are excited. And before anyone goes to purchase that: I've seen the puzzles were completely changed, so you can't use this as any guide. (A true shame.) Anyway, before I ramble on too much, I wanted to let anyone who is still insane enough to hope in their hearts for an Ib update, that I am working on it once again!

Here is a preview of the map for the update, and I hope to work on it more when it isn't dark... because in this area, there rare chances to sight a sort of creepy addition to the game, which scares me to the bone, and I've resolved to get a gif of one, if not all 3 of them for you guys.

Again, I thank you for the wait, and I promise to have A Picture of Murder: Let's Play Ib back up and running. I'm aiming to push out the update by June 9th, so stay tuned! :v:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Not the longest I've waited for an LP update :v: Good to see you again OP, hope you're doing better now.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Life always comes first, the LP can wait. Good to see you back and I hope you're doing better now.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear things have not been going well, but I hope they improve soon.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
We Are Definitely Fine As Ib Said

The map for this area will be delayed and extremely big and confusing - the hallways in particular are hard to map short of opening the game files, and I apologize in advance for any screenshot-less guides where I just say I go somewhere. I'm trying to fit this all in one image, I swear!

Now that Mary and Ib are sufficiently separated from Garry, it's time to check out the room they can go to. I'm sure nothing bad will happen here, after all, this definitely isn't an atmospheric horror game!

I also forgot to mention last time, because of the music change, we are now considered to be in Episode 3, so here's everyone's portraits! I also have multiple saves so I can reconstruct the maps.

Anyway, now we will go onwards, and use the Violet Key on the door.

This leads us to the first room of the next area of the game, the Brown Area. Inspecting the door will prompt Mary to prompt us to explore the room first, which is meant to be all the open boxes in this room. However, if you look at the mannequin, you also will get dialogue.

A headless statue...

...Way too heavy to move, though.

Box One over near the brown door reads this: It's filled with various kinds of paint...

If you interact with the stool here, you also get some dialogue:

There's no one around, but you feel a presence...

I'd like to take this stool, but...

It looks like it's stuck to the ground.

The box below the statues reads this: It's filled with yellowed drawing paper...

The canvas which appears to be a message but isn't is said to be A sketch of some strange thing...

The box next to it, It's packed with various painting tools...

.....Ah!

There's a palette knife deep in the box...

Maybe this can cut those vines?!

The options we get are Let's try it and I doubt it. Considering how blunt and non-cutting painting knives tend to be, even with a sharp point...

I doubt it.

You're right... Nah, it wouldn't work...

You know, just in case...

That slight smile isn't at all telling us it's going to be a Chekhov's Gun. Why would it be?

The last box, It's filled with worn brushes...

Hmm... I don't really see anything useful.

Should we just go back to Garry for now?

You wish.

Wahhh! Huh?!

That scared me...

Unfortunately, we, the viewer, know what's happened.

Wh-When did that move? Wasn't it just against the wall?

Move it, Ib!

Mary, I don't think I can... even you said it looked too heavy to move.

Nonsense! We'll move it together and we'll be back to Garry in no time!

You are required to move down there and interact with the statue.

Ready? Heeeave.....!

Pant... no good..... It won't even budge..... What do we do, Ib...? We can't get out...

This is our cue to finally use the brown door.

I guess we'll just have to look over this way, Ib!

I was already going there.

...:ohdear:

The lights will continue to fade in and out in this area. (Which makes for REALLY HARD mapping.) The painting above is called "Fallen Star". Inspecting the... splattered orb reveals:

Something red is splattered here...

We can only walk up the stairs now.

After observing Clown, (or maybe just always) brown messages start appearing on the wall as you walk left.

:v: "I want you to have fun, Ib"

:(

:v: "Come to a fun world without any adults"

:v: "We'll be together"

:v: "You, me, and our friends"

But... we need to find Garry again... And get out.

It's probably just another trick, Ib.

But I'll always be here for you!

So we go through the door.

The little green guy on the wall blinks at us, which is kind of cute. But now we get introduced to the most annoying mechanic, as symbolized by that blue rose on the ground. (And there's also a savepoint here, just in case like 5 minutes earlier you didn't save, I suppose.) Stepping on the plate and pressing Z is what we have to do now.

The screen fades to black.

...They're taking their time... I wonder if something happened?

Congrats! We are now Garry. The first thing you may have noticed is that he has double the amount of petals than Ib. He moves down a tile.

Ib! Mary! Can you hear me?!

A pause.

No good..... Argh, I knew I shouldn't have let them go alone...!

What to do...

He turns around.

...I suppose I'll investigate that room again.

...As much as I hate to go back in there...

Now that we have control of Garry, we can see exactly why he was unsettled by the room last update.

It'll be fine. Just... take a deep breath...

The music cuts as soon as you enter.

Cute, my rear end...

The painting's name - "Red Eyes" - makes a lot more sense now, huh?

...No matter how I look at it, this is NOT "cute."

Looking at "Ruin of the Heart" again yields the same text. The other bookcase however...

Nothing of note here...

.....Hm?

The bookcase moves to the right.

Oh, well. I can go out this way.

Now we get to the part where I must face my fears: There is a rare chance that Red Eyes can come up behind the door in the void, look around, then laugh at you noiselessly. That is the only thing about this game that still scares me, and I want to get it as a gif for you guys. So, with that in mind, beware: Below are possible jumpscares!

If you read the text on the wall, it reads:

"There is no exit. There is no reason."

However, there exists reason: A simple look at the screenshot above tells us which cord we need to pull: #4. Every interaction has this dialogue:

Pull
Never mind

Pulling the cord causes a clicking noise, and the fall of the blinking green guy. Now, we use the red rose. What a fun mechanic! I sure love going back and forth! Walking towards the new bridge as Ib prompts some dialogue.

Ib, look! Now we can cross!

LET'S GOOOO SECOND OPTION TO STARE AT SOMETHING!

What are you doing, Ib? Come on, let's cross!

Choosing the second option has it stare at us before closing its eyes.

Guess so!

Before you move on, you are legally obligated to listen to me cross it over and over. Now that that's out of the way... you may recognize the triangle on the side, too, but first we are concerned with the box.

Something's moving inside...

Ib... Let's not open that box...

Anyway, the triangle is part of Garry's puzzle - we'll push it to the right so Garry gets it safely. Then, we will move on, for now.

Now we are in a thin corridor. I apologize if the map becomes incoherent around here. Eventually, Mary stops us.

Is Garry... your dad?
Nope
He's a stranger

Nope.

Hmm... So your dad is somebody else... I see... Is your mom nice, Ib?
Yes
Not when she's mad

Why are you asking?

I'm just curious, that's all.

Yes, then.

Ah... That's good... You want to see your parents again soon, right? I want to get out soon, too...

To see your parents? I... miss my father and mother... They must be worried... I ran off without them...

...Yeah. Hey..... Ib, uh.....

If only two of us could get out of here... then what?

Fun fact: Mary only asks this question if your Doom Counter for Garry is at 0. Despite the sinister painting being a requirement for a certain ending, it does not Doom Garry to see it by itself.

This choice is designed to help drive you towards certain endings (and it doesn't really hide it.) In the next ending, I will be giving the thread multiple choices before the update this happens, as this is one of the places the game can actually end if you mess up badly enough with your choices. For this run, however, we are going to choose...

I'd surrender myself.

Due to certain behind-the-scenes flags for endings, I'm choosing this to not shoot myself in the foot later... and an extra I want to do after this run as a break.

Wha! Really, Ib? But then you'd never meet your mom again!

...It would be really lonely... you know?

Don't say things like that... We'll leave together! Promise!

We walk down the rest of the confusing and painful to map corridor.

Now we are finally in the main room of Ib and Mary's 'Split Area', as I am calling it. This room is large, and it has multiple rooms we need to enter to solve puzzles for Garry and have Garry solve puzzles for us. There's also a save book here as well, and the best mechanic, the rose switch panel. While fully exploring this room would be nice, I've decided to instead save and go to the rose immediately.

A triangle... that fits the one in the floor! Maybe... Ib and Mary are up there...

...Right. I have to do this for their sakes! There's no telling what monsters want their rose petals!

Another pushing puzzle later...

Ajar..? Usually when a door unlocked, it just sounded like it did... I won't complain.

Now we're in Garry's personal corridor hell...

Oh, you...

A disturbing doll...

What do you want.

The message beside him reads:

:v: "Hello there, Garry... I don't like being alone... Take me with you...!"

Hard no.

As we walk to the left... it reappears.

For the love of..!

:v: "Hey, why aren't you taking me?"

...Just move on, Garry...

Around the bend... it reappears.

:v: "Why are you ignoring me? Do you hate me?"

The doll will continue to curse us until we get to the end of this snake-shaped corridor.

:v: "Hey, play with me! I know lots of fun things we can do..."

:v: "I've got lots of friends, too... I'll introduce you!"

:v: "Be here forever..."

Leave me alone...

As we finally make our way to the door...

...It's blocked it.

...How long are you going to follow me?

Enough of this! I'm busy here, and I'm not going to be your buddy!!

Garry's fondness to kick what he hates comes back, however, because I am a very controlling god of this story, he instead finds the heart within him to move it out of the way. A small animation plays of him sliding it over.

It would be best not to get involved here...

As you turn to the door, another message appears. Trying it reveals it's locked.

:v: "T A K E M E"

The door plays an unlocking sound.

Finally... I can only hope there's no more...

Now we are finally introduced to Garry's main room, where all of his corresponding rooms are.

Because Garry is special, not only does he get a save point, but he also gets an Eternal Vase. In any case, heading straight up from the entrance will reveal this section's main objective... And a doll.

...That's on me for being too optimistic.

Going inside the door reveals this.

A palette?

Walking up to the note reads this.

"Collect the seven balls of paint... Then the room will be colored, and your bridge will be made."

Balls of paint...? I wonder where those are...

In the puzzles, silly. Afterwards, going out and down will reward you with your first one.

What's this, now... It's soft, but I feel I could break it... Perhaps this is a ball of paint?

Obtained Ball of Paint (Yellow).

After it's obtained, it vanishes.

Hm... it vanished.

Now we will go back to Ib to explain the second half of why we're looking for the paint balls. Entering the top left door, we are greeted with this.

Interacting with the floating palette and brush results in this:

A floating palette and brush...

It's like there's someone there...

The canvas yields this:

There's a rainbow on the canvas...

Either way, there's a key on the other side, alongside a painting we can't see... until Garry collects all the paint balls, which will require many shenanigans on both sides, to be frank... and a very long and arduous time for my fingers, which this one already was despite nothing really happening. Oops.

Next update: I heard someone's secret.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

mycelia posted:

Not the longest I've waited for an LP update :v: Good to see you again OP, hope you're doing better now.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Life always comes first, the LP can wait. Good to see you back and I hope you're doing better now.

dervival posted:

Welcome back! I'm sorry to hear things have not been going well, but I hope they improve soon.

Thank you for the well-wishes! I was able to find the energy to post Part 1, but more likely, I will be posting this in 2-4 parts. This is my least favorite section of the game for reasons other than it having a rare chance to make me poo poo myself, it's just generally long and I hate it in general. I've also gotten fuzzy minded on what the exact solutions are, and the mapping for this part is just terrible. I won't dump exactly what's been happening on you guys, but the wishes make me a little happier since people care, and well, people also care about my stupid SSLP of a 10 year old game (and possibly, its remake!)

I also hope you guys are excited for the next run where I try to put it into your hands - I'll probably host polls on a poll site and force myself to take a break for a while. I'm sorry again for the huuuge hiatus, but I hope the new content more than makes up for it!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm glad to see you back as well!

Listening to Ib walk back and forth on the green painting was adorable, and that room with the dolls is creepy as all hell, goddamn :stare:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is interesting. Ib is coming to Switch next year. I don't have a video, but it's in today's Nintendo Direct.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Hi! Me here again. Sorry, sorry.

Quackles posted:

This is interesting. Ib is coming to Switch next year. I don't have a video, but it's in today's Nintendo Direct.

Ib is INDEED coming to Switch! It's the Remaster version, and I'm honestly surprised it even got a segment with a voice explaining it at all. I should really have come back to work on this when that dropped, huh? All in all, I'm more happy my favorite RPG Horror is getting exposure to newer crowds on a handheld device. Now, you can get scared in Ib anywhere you choose! Even if laptops already offered that, it's... more portable now?

Shei-kun posted:

I'm glad to see you back as well!

Listening to Ib walk back and forth on the green painting was adorable, and that room with the dolls is creepy as all hell, goddamn :stare:

Double back I am! I'm happy you enjoy the small glimpse of actual gameplay with sound, I might do that more often. I definitely will at the end of this act, for reasons that will become clear then.

Either way, I'm really sorry for the slow updates. I might try to pepper some extras as I'm still on The Part That Makes Me Actually Scared, and hopefully add a few more interesting tidbits than just longform nonstop images. I really implore you to check out the original vgperson translation or buy the Remaster if this thread at all interests you, but remember that Remaster has different solutions and brand new puzzles, so this thread won't really help, just give you insight on the story beats! I would give you a sneak peek of the next part, but I think I lost the document it's on, or actually never started it (which I hope isn't the case). I'll try my best to get at least one update for the Month of Spooks itself!!!

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?
I haven't heard of this before, but now this LP has me interested! I'm floored by the amount of intricate art assets that went into fleshing out this art museum. It's certainly a looker of a game and no mistake.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
I Heard Someone's Secret

I'm splitting up the maps into sections of the split areas, so I apologize for the addition of this, but the hallways before them were too long to really map out correctly. I'll probably post videos of them as well. This update contains heavy added dialogue from me.

Last time we were in this hellish gallery, Mary and Ib got separated from Garry. Garry saw the true reality of the Rabbit Room, stumbled upon a ball of paint, and the girls found a colorless room.

You might be able to see where this is going. Yes, Garry must collect all the paint colors to be able to color the colorless room, and Mary and Ib are basically just helping him do that from the top so they can get the key at the other end of the room from the bridge it'll make. These rooms are meant to somewhat be connected, but when the full maps come along, they won't be on the same map for the simple fact that this game is really, really confusing at this point to map out, and it's just going to get worse from here.

We'll be moving Ib and Mary down from the colorless room to the room below it (again, sorry).

It's locked...

What's this? Can we put in a name?

Here comes the puzzles! Answering wrong on this has no bad effects, so you could technically brute force it as it's only 3 options. We'll be coming back to it later. For now, we're going to move next to the weird red gas and go down into the room to the right of it.

This here is a room that, if done incorrectly, can actually add points to Garry's Doom Counter that I mentioned earlier. This part of the game is basically where a bunch of opportunities to pick it up arise. The painting here is called "Lady Without Her Umbrella". In the bottom right of the room, there appears to be a key.

There's something on the table... Obtained the Tree Key.

We'll also come back to the use for that key later (hint: it's the room I said we'd go back to earlier). We're also going to take the mannequin head on the bottom left off of its table.

A mannequin head...

What's it looking at?
Leave it
Take it off the table

The game by default wants you to doubt your own move, after all, you stopped Gary from kicking one before, it might Doom him...

I just... have a feeling we should take it off the table.

Huh? Take it off? What if it breaks?

And it's so heavy...
Never mind
Take it off

...and it gives you a second chance to backpedal, again, by default. Man, this is serious.

Take it off.

O-Okay... If you're that sure, then I won't stop you...

It's more of that red stuff...

Somehow Ib and Mary don't have adverse reactions to, I dunno, a mannequin going from normal to CRYING BLOOD??? Anyway, it's now time to go over to Garry for a moment.

As you can see from the map, going up and left will reveal the painting we need to know the name of's name.

...We'll get out of here and see the night sky again. Ib, Mary...

This is the answer to earlier. How will the girls know it? Who knows. Don't question video game logic. After that, we'll be moving to the left.

This little animated painting is the giver of a puzzle that must be solved.

"Juggling"
A voice comes from the painting...
:v: "What year was I born?"

Then dialogue opens to enter the year.

"Born"?

...Ah, the year he was created by... Geurtena? drat it... I don't know, 6231?

Answering wrong or nothing DOES have consequences, however.

:v: "W-r-o-n-g!"

A hit sound is played and Garry flashes red.

Ow... these paintings keep testing my patience. I swear I'll... I'll...

This does 1 damage to Garry. Luckily, we have an eternal vase that we'll quickly use. Now we'll turn and enter the door right below the paintings. As soon as we enter, Garry will have something to say about it.

Oof... What's with this room...?!

This room is filled with the red gas, which will damage Garry for every step he takes. A step in an actual gas tile takes 2 hits off instead of 1. This is where you're most likely to die as Garry... in my opinion. However, there are important things in here: A paint ball, and... an umbrella?

Don't want to stay here long...

You can technically get both the paint ball and the umbrella while the gas is up, it'll take two trips, but for simplicity's sake, I'm going to only grab the umbrella here. This will leave Garry with 3 health.

Gasp... Something tells me... I'll have to go back in there... Even if I feel like I'm... Going to pass out.

Hold on for me, you two...

I'm going to switch back to Mary and Ib now (after healing Garry, of course).

Wait... the one door... I think I have an idea.

I'm moving them back to the locked door, which we will then answer with Marvelous Night. The unlocking sound plays.

There was a sound...

Woow, you're so smart, Ib! I wish I could be smart too.

Here is what the door reveals - bookcases and a painting. The painting is titled "A Lone Keyhole".

There's a hole in the painting...
Put finger in
Use Tree Key

For the sake of shits and giggles, we're going to put Ib's finger in.

It's too small...

Of course, we'll use the Tree Key now.

Used the Tree Key.

Another unlocking sound played.

..........?

Huh? Are you okay, Mary?

Oh, it's... I just thought it would make the books move or something.

Ok...

We'll also be visiting the bookshelf next to it.

"Collected Works of Geurtena (Part 1)"
It contains paintings by Geurtena in alphabetical order...

Should we take a look?
L page, G page, J page

More video game logic time. First, I'll look at L and G, then J.

"The Lady in Red" (6210)
It was said that he based this on a lover he had at the time, but he has denied this claim.
In truth, Guertena based it around the ??? women who attempted to court him for his inheritance.
You don't know some of these words...

You're telling me that Ib doesn't know the word 'deep' but knows the words 'court' and 'inheritance'?

"The ??? Fish" (6235)
Despite being grayscale, this curious piece makes clever use of shading and angles to give the impression of color.
The ??? detail put into even the scales evokes a wide variety of emotions in people.
You don't know some of these words...

And that she knows 'grayscale', 'impression' and 'variety'? She's somehow smart but not smart. Now we're onto the page she needs.

"Juggling" (6223)
A work based on a juggler he saw at the circus with his grandchild.
As it is extremely rare for Guertena to use real people as models, this piece is highly valuable.

Now we will beam the answer into Garry's head... and yes, the game wants us to believe this takes place in some 4000 years later. (That or it's BCE years.)

Another bookshelf here has a work, the one right next to the small gap.

"A Girl's Demise"
"Once upon a time, there was a little girl."
"The girl went with her parents to an art gallery."
"But all of a sudden, the girl realized that she was lost..."
"She searched through the dim gallery, but found neither her parents nor the exit...

...I don't like this story...

"Scared, helpless, lonely, hungry, and thirsty, she fell and hurt herself, putting her body past the limit..."
...The last page has an illustration of a collapsed girl...

I'm not alone... I have you, Mary.

Mmhmm! Don't listen to some weird book... We'll be together forever, Ib!

Exiting the room after that, suddenly, a fisherman is in the previously blank painting.

This is the cue to switch back to Garry for a second. After all... he has the sea, and an umbrella. And the Juggler to answer, too.
Switching back and going up leads to the painting.

...What's up with this? It's coming out of the painting... Could it be, well... a hook?

Touch it, Never mind, Hook umbrella

Ib tried to insert her finger, Garry's going to touch the hook.

Is this real, I wonder?

After a few seconds, Garry turns red and takes 1 damage. Again.

Owww! It got my finger!

Even if it's on me for touching it, this place seems to want to kill me...

Now we will hook the umbrella.

I wonder, if I put this umbrella on it...

Huh... it went into the painting...

There sure are a lot of inexplicable things going on...

After that, we will answer the Juggler's inquiry with the power of telepathy or the Morphogenetic Field Theory, maybe? 999 anyone? for another paint ball.

I input 6-2-2-3.

:v: "C-o-r-r-e-c-t!"

He places a blue paint ball next to us.

There's something on the ground...

Obtained Ball of Paint (Blue).

The ball of paint vanished...

You may have noticed that the icon above the door next to the save point changed, that's because Ib unlocked it with the Tree Key. We're heading there next.

A library, huh... something tells me I won't be here to relax.

The memo right in front of Garry reads:

"No checking out books."

I doubt I would've found anything of substance, anyway.

A lot of the shelves here have books on them, and of course, there's a pink paint ball just out of reach. On the far left of the first row on the left, this is prompted.

"There is no fear greater than the unknown."

Moving up reveals paintings.

...That eye feels like it's watching me.

On the top row, the bookshelf on the far left has this work.

"Terror"
"Being alone is fearful.
A group of two can have relief.
A group of three..."
The rest is torn off...

...I hope Ib and Mary are okay...

Well, as long as there are two of them, I guess...

I had never seen that dialogue before. Maybe doing a Let's Play was a great idea for something other than exposure on the game.

The book we want is to the far right of this row.

"The Essentials of Color"
It describes the uses of color...

Hm?

A green paint ball appears next to Garry after reading it.

Obtained Ball of Paint (Green).

After exiting the room, the doll seems to have changed positions.

Oh, for the...

:v: "Hey, what're you doing? I wanna play too...

I don't want to play... now get!

Having done everything Garry can do for now, we're switching back over to Mary and Ib again. When we get back, to nobody's surprise, the fisherman has caught a red umbrella.

"Fisherman"

...Hey, look, Ib... He caught something!

He lowers the umbrella out of the frame into the area, next to Ib.

An umbrella...
Take it, Leave it

Of course we're taking it.

Obtained the Red Umbrella.

Entering back into the bottom room, we can look at Lady Without Her Umbrella and, well.

Ib! Umbrella...!
Give the umbrella, Don't give

We give it to her.

Held the umbrella in front of the painting...

After she picks it up, the music cuts out and... rain ambience plays.

Huh? Huh?! It started raining in the room! ...That's so weird!

The rain, little do Ib and Mary know, will provide a stream of water for Garry down below. So it's time to go back to Garry.

Now, in the red room, a trickling sound effect plays, and the vase at the bottom behaves like an eternal vase. This means Garry can get to the cord now, as previously it would kill him to move that much without a vase.

Yes! Maybe this will turn off all this horrible gas...

...before I wilt, I should pull it, that is.

Pull, don't pull

Ahh... That strange gas is gone.

Now we can pick up the violet ball of paint without any harm.

Obtained Ball of Paint (Violet).

Now, we can do the last things we need to do for this section. Passing by the library again causes a sound effect like growth to happen.

..........?

There are now berries or something on the door's leaf, meaning the room inside has changed.

The bookshelves over there moved...

...Maybe curiosity will kill the cat, but...

Now we can finally obtain the pink ball of paint.

Obtained Ball of Paint (Pink.

Maybe one of these books hides another?

Now, we're going to look at the third bookcase, the one on the right, but not far right.

"Collected Works of Geurtena (Part 2)"
It contains painting by Geurtena in alphabetical order...

Wonder if there's anything useful...
S page, H page, M page

We're going the same order as Part 1.

"Serpent's Spirit" (6248)
Beginning with this piece, Guertena began his focus on abstract art.
But at the time, cubism was more popular, leaving Guertena's various abstract works largely ignored.

"The Hanged Man" (6219)
Guertena painted this as a page filler while working for a magazine.
Once this illustration became renowned, it was sold for a limited time as an actual tarot card using the picture.
Presently, it is nearly impossible for one to find the tarot card.

Now, we move onto the M page. Solid letter... for a price, anyway.

"Mary" (----)
The last work of Guertena's life.
While the girl appears almost lifelike, naturally, she is not based on a real person.

The music fades.

..........!!

There's a familiar painting on the page opposite the description...

It's Mary.

W-Why...? It can't be... that's...

Mary.....?!

The image fades. The ear painting starts moving up and down, but Garry obviously couldn't have noticed in his panic and rage, his heart going a mile a minute as it clicks in his brain.

She doesn't exist.....? What does that mean...?!

But then... Who or what is with Ib...?

:v: I HEARD MARY'S SECRET♪

I have to get out of here... Mary, she... She's going to hurt Ib, or persuade her... I can't... I can't let that happen to a young girl like Ib!

Now the pressure's on. You know what Mary is, Garry knows, and Mary of course knows, but Ib doesn't. Your own player character could be in viable danger right now, with a painting posing as a gallery visitor.

Switching back to Mary and Ib now will... be interesting.

Mary splits off from Ib.

Mary...?

Mary?, What's wrong?, Are you okay?

Mary?

.....Mary..... I'm Mary.....

Oho, ohohoho, ohohohohoho... Ahahaha, ahahahahahahaha...

She turns to face Ib.

I am Maaary, I am Maaary, I am Maaary, I am Maaary, I am Maaary, I am Maaary...

Ohohohoho hohohoho...

Then she runs offscreen to the right.

Mary, I'm... I'm scared...

Going to the corridor we entered from is... more concerning.

M-Mary...? W-Why...

Running up to her yields this.

In my way... In my way... In my way... In my WAY...

Trying to talk to her again gives us a simple line of dialogue.

She's swinging a palette knife...

N-No... Garry...

Going back to the room has her come up behind us.

Ib...

Don't leave me...

From now on, walking around in this part will have Mary follow us, if a little slowly.

I... I won't leave you, I...

We switch back to Garry.

What the hell does the doll want now?! I need to get out of here, to save Ib from that... thing...!

:v: "I picked up something good... I'm making it my treasure!"

Inspecting the doll reveals more.

A disturbing doll...

Oh? Its stomach looks bigger somehow...

...What should I do? It could be a ball of paint, or... I don't want to think about it.
Don't touch it, Check the doll

We check the doll.

I suppose I'll look closer...

There's a sound of fabric ripping, then a red paintball being placed on the floor.

Something came out of the doll's stomach...

Look and see.

Obtained Ball of Paint (Red).

Then the music cuts out for a second. The doll laughs, runs into the door next to him, and then the music fades back in.

I don't like this, but... I have to.

If you have an extreme fear of dolls, now would be the time to back away.

We have no choice but to enter.

I've recorded this segment for mood purposes, but may add screenshots later.

The door's... unlocked...
Don't go in, Go in

The game once again asks you if you really want to. It's what I think is mostly an opportunity to save, as failing the doll room can affect the ending you get. I'll show what happens or can happen if you fail later in either an extra or possibly another ending.

But of course, I've already saved and know the pattern. In we go.

The music cuts out. I sit here during the video as I was actually looking at notes provided by VGPerson as to which doll had the key (there are 3 different patterns, 4 different solutions). The room is filled with dolls, big yellow ones on the right and big pink ones on the left, with the middle being a multicolored assortment of the smaller dolls. At the end is the white ball of paint.

Obtained the Ball of Paint (White).

That's seven of them...!

We go to exit. Unfortunately, Garry walked into a trap.

The door won't open...

Huh...?

He tries the door twice.

No way... why?!

Writing appears on the door and Garry jumps back, startled.

.....?!

Writing appeared on the door...

:v: "Let's have another treasure hunt... Who? Who? Who has the key?

What is...

A bell rings twice. Garry backs from the door and looks at the sea of dolls.

Wh-What?! What now?!

The room shakes and turns blue.

This is bad... Where... where's the key?!

You now have around 30 seconds to find the key before Red Eyes crawls out of the painting. There are small things that reveal what pattern you have. For this pattern, because I have a left sentinel of orange and no doll on the right, the key is in the top middle orange doll. However, I still panicked and checked a lot of other dolls. Checking certain dolls will say this.

A doll with a strangely large stomach...
Tear open stomach, Leave it

Of course you want to tear open the stomach. Some dolls, however, have other things in their stomach, like bugs. I only have the UK versions of these recorded, however, which should just be a faster text scroll, but if there is SOME weird change, please keep that in mind for the below dialogue.

There's a bug wriggling inside...

Ugh! Gross!!

There was a pebble inside...

What IS this?!

And finally, the dialogue for a key. (Back to US build, by the way.)

Yes! The key!

Obtained the Small Key.

After this you're free to leave. I stayed to taunt Red Eyes before leaving.

Garry then runs out of the room, past the door now being ajar next to the painting of the sea, and huffs against it, back in the same sprite from the chase sequence earlier.

Pant..... gasp.....!

I... have had enough... of that ROOM...!

Why did I... have to... deal with that...!

He straightens himself out.

But, thinking about it... Ib might be in just as terrifying a situation...

We've got to regroup soon!

Next update: Welcome to my world that's painted with sadness.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

:stare: I didn't ever see that Mary part before.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Game Extra: Failing the Doll Room

Yesterday you saw me complete the Doll Room without a hitch, today I'm going to give you an extra on what would've happened if I failed it with our current flags and conditions. I made a save right after taking the mannequin head off of the table yesterday just for this purpose of failing it to show you guys what would happen right now. There are some fun details as well for Ib and Mary, so let's go see!

Here's another detail you may have noticed yesterday (or not, I tried to call it out):

insanitylock posted:

Here is what the door reveals - bookcases and a painting. The painting is titled "A Lone Keyhole".

There's a hole in the painting...
Put finger in
Use Tree Key

Of course, we'll use the Tree Key now.

Used the Tree Key.

Another unlocking sound played.

..........?

Mary got upset when the Tree Key was used, because she probably knew that the Collected Works of Guertena (Part 2) had her entry in it. I myself only noticed that detail yesterday, which you would've thought I would with the hours I've spent speedrunning it, but mashing text is hard.

Anyway, because the Doll Room is RNG, every playthrough's entrance will be randomized. Today's configuration is the Orange Left Sentinel and the White Right Sentinel, 'guarding' the door. I will pretend this is my first playthrough and I'm really bad at finding the key.

By just standing there. This is the entire progression of the room. Once you fail, the screen goes red, and you're kicked back to Ib and Mary.

At this point, Mary starts roaming the room by herself, and the Garry switch symbol is gone. She'll go around to look at the vase, then the paintings in the room, staring at their nameplates before moving onto the next one. Ib can block her path, and eventually she'll try the one door that wasn't on the map, because it was locked, playing the 'door's locked' sound.

Thanks to our combined puzzle-solving, the bridge is made and color is restored to everything in the room. Now we're meant to grab the key.

There's something on the table...
Obtained the Brown Key.

This painting here is called "Illusion".

After exiting the room, Mary isn't roaming where we can see her, and we can actually go back out into the hallway and see her piece of work.

A mannequin covered in wounds...

Anyway, now it's time to use the key on the door that was locked.

Used the Brown Key.

This leads to a room that we'll see again in the next actual update, in a very different circumstance.

Once we move to the right enough, Mary rejoins us.

Wait, Ib...

...There's stairs over here too... I'm going with you!

She rejoins the party, though I'm sure Ib isn't quite too happy after all the crazy shenanigans she did.

This is what links the two areas together. Of course, in the next update, Garry will be ascending these stairs, but for now, Ib and Mary are stuck going down them.

The door, which is still locked because Garry failed the room, has unique dialogue from this side.

The door can be unlocked from this side...

An unlocking sound plays.

Unlocked the door...

Now they're downstairs. I'm sure nothing bad happened to Garry. But first, I want to check out the library on Ib. If we go up and to the left, where the Collected Works of Guertena (Part 2) is and check the M section...

"Marvelous Night" (6198)
A work depicting a ??? aurora that ??? appeared a year before.
You don't know some of the words...

The section changes. Tricky.

Huh, this is one of the ones in the other room...

There's also a book that Garry can understand perfectly I wanted to show off on Ib instead.

"??? of This World"
"Via a trading of ???, the ??? can be made reality."

Nothing else in the room changes to my knowledge, so let's try to go down to the Doll Room, why don't we?

:v: "...that..... so? ...heehee....."

Moving closer makes another dialogue appear.

:v: "...Ahahaha.......... oh, sure. Sometimes.... yeah, yeah....."

I hear someone talking...

Turning the corner closer...

:v: "...Don't see that every day, right? I just ran out, you see..."

Closer...

:v: "Oh, I really love it. But it takes a while for sure..."

Outside of the door.

:v: "Oh, you too? Why, we certainly do get along, don't we?"

:v: "Ohohoho..."

Facing towards the door.

Garry is behind the door...

Is he... talking to someone?
Don't go in, Go in

For the sake of the extra, we are going in.

Music: Blind Alley (Garry's Theme)

.....Garry...?

Hoho! You're really quite entertaining, you know that?

I feel like I could talk to you about my every worry...

Garry has gone insane.

Ahahaha.....

Walking up to him as Ib, between him and the green 'rabbit' and interacting, has Garry continue talking nonetheless.

Huh! Never heard that before... Can you give me the details?

No, no, I won't tell anyone! Your secret's safe with me!

You have to interact with him again.

Whaaa? I don't believe it! Really? Are you for real?

'Cause that's disgusting! Who'd do that to a girl?

If I saw that happening, I'd tell them off for sure!

And again.

Troubled? I know the feeling. You just feel helpless sometimes.

You know you can't run away, but nothing goes well either... .....Wonder why?

Sigh..........

And the next day, and the next day...

...Yeah, that works too. It's nice to not have to think...

Just forgetting the bad things... Ahaha, oh yes! I'm with you there!

He keeps talking to himself...

...Is this really Garry? Something's wrong with him...

Maybe it's a fake? I mean, the real Garry wouldn't be here... right?

Don't you think so, Ib...?

..........Ib?

Ib collapses into Garry's lap, almost, and looks at his face. The music cuts.

And then she loving slaps him.

This is good - this means Garry's doom counter isn't too far gone. In other endings, failing the doll room is one of the requirements. I may have got this semi-wrong. While the Doom Counter does play a part, you have to basically do every Doom-increasing action up to the Doll Room, see the Sinister Painting, and see the Hanged Garry message (only happens if you let him kick the head all the way back in the Gray Area). So I was semi-wrong. But, if you fail the doll room while meeting those conditions, no amount of slapping will bring Garry back, and instead, the ending you get will rely on how close you are with Mary. It's still good Garry will be with us!

.....!

After a pause, Garry turns his head back.

.....?
Once more, Call his name

Of course, it wouldn't be a proper playthrough without slapping him twice if you fail the room. I'm sure there's some heartfelt stuff for calling his name out, but seeing a 9-to-11-year-old-girl slap a grown man is funnier than anything. The gif cuts off early.

..........O...

.....OWWW?! What are you doing, Ib?!

Music: Hide and Seek (Garry's Other Theme)

No way... h-he's back.....

He turns around, realizing where he is.

Huh... Ib? And Mary, too... What's going on?

...And where is this? Why are we all here?

Of course there's time for a hug.

Whoa! I-Ib?!

Garry readjusts to hug Ib back.

.....My, well..... I'm not too sure what happened, but you must have been worried.

Sorry about that... Ib...

Everything fades to black and we regroup outside of the room, with no music for the time being.

Well... I'd like to say we need to press ahead, but...

My memory is a bit messy, so I can't remember what I was doing.

...Well, you don't really need to remember, do you?

At least we're back together!

Classy, Mary. Just trying to gaslight his memory away.

I suppose that's true.... But I feel like I'm forgetting something important...

I wonder what it was...

...Anyway, let's go! We found some stairs.

...All right, then. Let's give it our best!

Dining Room fades back in, but for update purposes, this is where the extra ends. I've teased the reuniting of them in the actual main game, and what happens onwards spoils some of the main game. So with that, I hope you enjoyed seeing what happens when you fail the Doll Room with our current flags and also slapping Garry twice!

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 11, 2022

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
So, if I'm parsing all that correctly, that's what happens if you fail that room as Garry, but his doom counter is low so he can be snapped out of it? And the consequence of that seems to be that he's forgotten what he learned about Mary.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, the "we'll be together forever" from Mary was an immediate alarm. Ib, sadly, doesn't appear to be genre-savvy enough to have pick up on that though.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, the "we'll be together forever" from Mary was an immediate alarm. Ib, sadly, doesn't appear to be genre-savvy enough to have pick up on that though.

That was dialogue added by me, actually! I'm glad you at least maybe picked up on some foreshadowing... :cheeky: Please remember that if it's in italics, it's the in game dialogue, while regular text is added dialogue. I was definitely inspired by TeeQueue for this, I'm so sorry.

ZCKaiser posted:

So, if I'm parsing all that correctly, that's what happens if you fail that room as Garry, but his doom counter is low so he can be snapped out of it? And the consequence of that seems to be that he's forgotten what he learned about Mary.

I may have got this semi-wrong. While the Doom Counter does play a part, you have to basically do every Doom-increasing action up to the Doll Room, see the Sinister Painting, and see the Hanged Garry message (only happens if you let him kick the head all the way back in the Gray Area). So I was semi-wrong. But, if you fail the doll room while meeting those conditions, no amount of slapping will bring Garry back, and instead, the ending you get will rely on how close you are with Mary. Thanks for the question - I should probably clarify that in the extra!

I'm glad you're both here and enjoying the LP still. I'll probably exactly spell out all the actions later.

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 11, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Did anyone ever notice how large Mary's irises are? It makes a lot more sense now that we know she wasn't originally a patron.

Nice to see you back insanitylock!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

dervival posted:

Did anyone ever notice how large Mary's irises are? It makes a lot more sense now that we know she wasn't originally a patron.

Truly, anime is trying to kill you. :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

dervival posted:

"My, what big eyes irises you have, Mary"
"The better to see the art with, Ib"

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Not genre-savvy and also, not immune to spooks.

Also hi thanks for LPing this because I love this game.

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

dervival posted:

I like being back too! I'm always interested in how people react to the reveal that she's a painting. I'm also really excited for the content of the at least next 2 updates, because now we're basically at the endgame where a lot of the choices you made for endings are already made and there's no take-backsies. Plus Mary gets to shine. I'm also totally not hoping that I did this right to get the ending I actually promised you guys I'd get in the OP but if it messes up oh well I can just retitle it and pretend it was the one I was definitely going for

Quackles posted:

Truly, anime is trying to kill you. :v:

Randalor posted:

"My, what big eyes irises you have, Mary"
"The better to see the art with, Ib"

These two made me laugh. I almost want to try to draw the Big Bad Wolf-like exchange, but I don't want to make a mess of kouri's wonderful setting and characters...

DarkMatt posted:

Not genre-savvy and also, not immune to spooks.

Also hi thanks for LPing this because I love this game.

Of course! This is one of my favorites as well (see me having speedran it) and it's nice to pick up on some details I never checked out before too. All I can hope is that you'll see some stuff you haven't noticed yet either...

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

insanitylock posted:

Of course! This is one of my favorites as well (see me having speedran it) and it's nice to pick up on some details I never checked out before too. All I can hope is that you'll see some stuff you haven't noticed yet either...
Unfortunately this is unlikely because one of the projects I considered before settling on the lp I have right now was lping the Ib remake. I still have the recordings of me getting everything. Regardless I have played this game a lot. I'm just happy other people get to go into the museum. I love it. More people should go to it. Why aren't people coming to it?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

insanitylock posted:

I may have got this semi-wrong. While the Doom Counter does play a part, you have to basically do every Doom-increasing action up to the Doll Room, see the Sinister Painting, and see the Hanged Garry message (only happens if you let him kick the head all the way back in the Gray Area). So I was semi-wrong. But, if you fail the doll room while meeting those conditions, no amount of slapping will bring Garry back, and instead, the ending you get will rely on how close you are with Mary. Thanks for the question - I should probably clarify that in the extra!

If this happens, does the game end immediately or do you have to spend some time persisting in the doomed world you have created?

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

idonotlikepeas posted:

If this happens, does the game end immediately or do you have to spend some time persisting in the doomed world you have created?

You get an ending based on how close you are with Mary, so yes, you persist in the doomed world you've created for a few more minutes while Mary gets up to shenanigans. Which probably sounds great because how we know she's a painting. I'll show them off later, don't worry!

DarkMatt posted:

Unfortunately this is unlikely because one of the projects I considered before settling on the lp I have right now was lping the Ib remake. I still have the recordings of me getting everything. Regardless I have played this game a lot. I'm just happy other people get to go into the museum. I love it. More people should go to it. Why aren't people coming to it?

I feel bad because I wanted to lightly cover the Remake too, but if you want to, I'd say to honestly go for it. They're almost basically different games and there's not really a rule on doing the same games, are there? I'm more going to go in-depth on the endings and language differences and then maybe try the Dungeon as I've never done it myself.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

insanitylock posted:

I was definitely inspired by TeeQueue for this, I'm so sorry.

Well that's a dangerous state to ever be in. :v:

Glad to see you're back, Ib is a fascinating game but not the sort I can play. The atmosphere would kill me.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

insanitylock posted:

Thanks for clarifying, and don't worry if you don't want to explain the mechanics of everything the first time through. I'm just very interested in games like this that seem straightforward at first glance but have a lot more going on under the hood.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

TeeQueue posted:

Glad to see you're back, Ib is a fascinating game but not the sort I can play. The atmosphere would kill me.

But don't you....lp....

...you know what nevermind.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

insanitylock posted:

Troubled? I know the feeling. You just feel helpless sometimes.

You know you can't run away, but nothing goes well either... .....Wonder why?

Tomorrow and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day.

Honestly must be pretty rough being stuck in there as the only adult(?) and having to deal with the additional stress of taking care of two 9 year olds

DarkMatt posted:

But don't you....lp....
LC and LOR are comedies

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!

TeeQueue posted:

Understandable! LC and LoR's horror is more distant, even though there is some element of it there. This was luckily my first horror game, so I'm pretty well adjusted to atmospheric horror, unfortunately any ones with chasers still get me...

ZCKaiser posted:

Thanks for clarifying, and don't worry if you don't want to explain the mechanics of everything the first time through. I'm just very interested in games like this that seem straightforward at first glance but have a lot more going on under the hood.

I'll probably go more in-depth on the Mary (yay I made a typo kouri actually made themselves once, fixed) Bond mechanic when we get to one of her endings, because I want to touch on them at least. It'll probably be after I maybe get the 'best' ending and do the extra dungeon (which, again, I've never done).

MetaMeme posted:

Tomorrow and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day.

Honestly must be pretty rough being stuck in there as the only adult(?) and having to deal with the additional stress of taking care of two 9 year olds

Yep, Garry is an adult! I don't know if it was picked up on at all, but the presence of his lighter was possibly meant to imply Garry was a smoker and that the candy he gave to Ib was possibly to help him. So definitely over 20 at the very least if we're going by information by the Internet and the Japanese smoking/drinking age, more likely over 21 considering the more Western sounding name of Guertena. (And also Garry and Mary. And in some part Ib.)

DarkMatt posted:

But don't you....lp....

...you know what nevermind.

MetaMeme posted:

LC and LOR are comedies

Thank you for the continuous laughs, and I agree, they don't hold much of a candle to 'atmospheric horror' as stated earlier. LC and LoR feels more like impersonal horror that, while big and possibly terrifying, is beatable eventually, while Ib's horror is more 'You can't beat it, but you can run'. But that's getting off topic and exposing I am a fan of those games too.

I was supposed to have an update out this week, but my body once again protested, and I'm about to go off to the doctor's as I post this. I already started on the update, however! Have a look at one of the gifs.

This is the next area we're going to explore. I hope you guys are excited in some way!

insanitylock fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I forgot how unsettling the horror in this game was and then I read the latest update (and the alternate path).

I remember now.

This continues to be incredibly well written and atmospheric as heck, and the LP is amazing. Making that doll room a video was the right move.

Luninareph
Jan 12, 2019

Why, no, I wouldn't hurt a (butter)fly. Why do you ask?

insanitylock posted:

I was supposed to have an update out this week, but my body once again protested, and I'm about to go off to the doctor's as I post this. I already started on the update, however! Have a look at one of the gifs.

This is the next area we're going to explore. I hope you guys are excited in some way!

Ooooh, interesting gif. I like the way the crayon-scribbly look increases as you go further down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanitylock
Sep 29, 2021

Not too shabbyyy!
Happy Halloween! I figured today would be the time to update this thread as it's a spooky game. I've uploaded this at midnight EST on Halloween, anyway, but I know it'll probably be a few hours earlier for SA, so... happy early Halloween. Sorry for the lack of a map, I shut down my PC on the WiP one and well... I'll update it later to include the map.

Welcome To My World

Last time we were with Garry and the crew, Garry barely survived with his sanity in the Doll Room before running out to a newly-unlocked door that he didn't notice. And since Garry knows of Mary's secret, he really needs to get there to save Ib.

Huh...? The door's open...!

The screen fades and Garry goes through without any choice.

Here we are, at some stairs and a weird painting. I can't interact with it, so it has no name, but we're going to ascend the stairs... or try to. Facing them has Garry once again comment.

....Stairs...

...I've come this far, but now I'm wondering if I should keep going...

He turns towards the camera - er, us.

But I'm not sure what good going back will do...

What to do...
Don't go yet, Go ahead

I don't know why this choice is here, honestly. If you decide not to go for the moment, Garry does have some dialogue.

....Perhaps I'll explore this floor a bit more.

He'll also move away from the stairs, but for now, it's time to go upstairs.

Go ahead

Yes, I'd better go. Nothing will come of just loitering around.

He pauses.

...Please, let her be safe!

I really love the fact Garry cares so much for Ib. I believe from translation notes, he's supposed to be like a big sister to Ib, since he apparently used the pronoun 'atashi' in the original Japanese to refer to himself. Then again, I just like Garry in general and also Mary and also probably literally every character this game has in it.

Then we'll fade out to black and be with Mary and Ib.

I may be reusing a photo from the Extra, but just in case you missed it, this is where we get kicked to. At this point, Mary starts roaming the room by herself, and the Garry switch symbol is gone. She'll go around to look at the vase, then the paintings in the room, staring at their nameplates before moving onto the next one. Ib can block her path, and eventually she'll try the one door that wasn't on the map, because it was locked, playing the 'door's locked' sound.

We'll be going into the previously black-and-white room, as our cooperation has pulled it all off!

Because of all of this, a bridge has been made by the paint balls Garry gathered, and we can now see Ib in color as well as everything else, along with a painting up at the bridge. But first, the key.

There's something on the table...

Obtained the Brown Key.

The painting up ahead is called "Illusion". Anyway, with this key, we can finally unlock the one unmapped room in the Brown Area! And I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Used the Brown Key.

This time, if we move left...

...Mary appears again, but with the palette knife brandished.

Music: Uneasiness but slower but I can't get it slower so sorry

.....Where are you going, Ib?

She approaches closer.

Why are you going by yourself? We promised we'd be together...

W-We'll be together, I just... I wanted... Garry's...

Ib backs up as Mary closes in.

.....Right?

Mary, I...

Why are you running?

Garry!!!!!

The music fades.

IB!!

!!

Wha... What are you doing, Mary?!

Garry saves us! Phew. That still doesn't stop Mary from flipping her switch, though.

Shut up! If you had only just been good and waited there...!

M... Mary... I knew it, you're...!

Stay away... .....Yaaah.....!

Wah...!

He's forced to stay his hand and push Mary hard enough that it knocks her out.

He then turns around to Ib, still scrunched up in fear.

Music: Hide and Seek (Garry's Other Theme)

Ib! Are you okay?! ...Sorry I'm late!

For the second time this thread but first this canonical game, Ib hugs Garry.

Whoa! I-Ib...

He then hugs her back.

Sorry... It must have been scary. But it's okay now...

They split from the hug and Garry once again turns around to face Mary.

You might not believe me, but Mary... she isn't human.

Then... what is she? Why does she have a rose like us?

She's one of Guertena's works... Just like those painting women who came after us...

I didn't spend enough time with her to really notice...

It's dangerous to stay with her. Even if I had just been a little later there...

...Okay...

You might feel a bit sorry for her... But we need to get away now!

Garry rejoins our party.

Inspecting Mary and her rose now yields dialogue.

Mary isn't moving a muscle...

Mary's rose is on the ground...

This rose... It looks real, but it's a fake.

You may be wondering where the path is now. Well, there was an entire room in the middle right blocked off by the red smoke that I neglected to come upon until now, sorry! But that's where we're meant to go now.

The painting here is "Aspiration". However, there is a large statue in our way down the stairs, which is where we're meant to go. Interacting has the screen fade and Garry appear next to us for his second adventure in statue pushing.

Looks like these stairs go down. Alright, Ib, step back.

Oogh.....!

He pushes it to the side.

Whew... Just how many statues have I pushed today...?

Two, if my count is correct. Unless I missed a third somewhere, you have no right to be complaining so much, Garry.

Oh, well. Let's go!

As soon as you enter the stairway, there's a moving background of stars. Let's go down it!

Comets are fired at you as you go down. I have no idea if stopping actually makes you hit them, but when you reach the end and hit the scribbled path...

Music: Puppet (Mary's Theme)

...the background symbols appear and Mary's Theme kicks in.

...Careful, Ib. This looks like it could have something to do with Mary, especially with those comets...

The next screen goes full-on sketchbook style, being entirely hewn from crayon. It makes sense to walk in, right?

Yeah, Mary's throwing more traps at us. This is very, very loud on an actual run. Like my ears kind of hurt every time I have to go through here.

W-whoa! That almost hit you, Ib, but you got out in the nick of time..!

I don't like this...

The blue text that guides us in says 'Sketchbook', and that's the name of the area! In we go.

Music: No One in Sight (Sketchbook)

Well, now... This is a significant change in atmosphere...

But nothing we can't handle. Let's go, Ib.

This is one of my favorite areas of the game. The music sounds serene, but also just hosed up enough that you get a little worried. I also often wonder how kouri was able to do the graphics in this area. You really feel like it's made by Mary when you walk in, and pretty drat implied she made it anyway by her theme literally popping up.

There's some dialogue interacting with the unbloomed tulip bud.

A tulip bud...

Why hasn't this one bloomed, I wonder...

'Cause it's a puzzle, Garry.

Entering the house, it has its own interior.

Even the houses are sketched...

Interacting with the bookshelf here has more dialogue.

A bookcase...

What? These are all storybooks...

The portrait just has its own self-explanatory thing.

A portrait of a person...

And the clock?

The clock isn't ticking...

Everything in this gallery is weird. Let's look someplace else, Ib.

The next screen is the same style, of course, but there's also a bulletin board!

"Bulletin Board"

...that has nothing on it. Yet. What we're really looking to enter is the building on the edge of the screen.

It's locked...

Where's the key, then...

Going up one leads to the central part of the Sketchbook. There, a pink house with a message on it awaits us.

"The Pink Key is always kept in the toy box."

The toy box...? I guess there's a key there.

Let's find it, Ib!

That's the objective of this area - finding the key for the Pink House. However, it won't be easy. There's also a save point here, which I will take.

The save menu has us on Episode 4 now, and there's a picture of a Garry-only save. It's a little weird to see him without Ib next to him.

Going to the left is the next thing we need to do.

Aww, there are some cute butterflies. These won't hurt Ib. Where we want to be is in the weirdly drawn upside-down house.

What we need here is the bucket - crudely drawn next to the pink rabbit, for a puzzle solution.

Interacting with the rabbit:

A stuffed rabbit...

And interacting with the bucket.

A bucket...
Take it, Leave it

Of course, we take it.

Obtained the Bucket.

Careful looking inside of it, Ib. And Garry for that matter. You might go mad...

However, leaving will not be as quick as normal. As soon as Mary enters, the music cuts out.

Ib... Garry... .....Where are you?

Ib runs behind the wall as Mary checks the entire room, before getting sad.

Then she runs out of the room.

...Don't tell me... that was...

She's after us...

Music: No One in Sight (Sketchbook)

The music resumes, but it's a creepy moment. Mary won't stop at anything, unlike the other paintings encountered early. For a painting meant to be of a girl around Ib's 9-11-year-old age, she's very vindictive. Or maybe that age group tends to be vindictive? I wouldn't remember.

The red fruits on the table yield this:

[/i]Some sort of red fruit...[/i]

You can also interact with the coathanger.

I guess this is a coathanger.

...Though something tells me Mary wouldn't be the person to wear them...

...?

Don't worry about it, Ib. We'll get out of here.

Next, I'm going to go back to the central area and continue right.

Well, aren't these trees lively.

Continuing up reveals a pond.

Oh, the bucket... and the flower!

Interacting with it reveals these options.

A pond...
Feel the water, Stare into the water, Fill bucket

Feeling the water has this.

....The water's lukewarm.....

Staring into the water, reveals this.

.....Ib, make sure you don't fall in while you're spacing out.

However, we are here for the bucket. Upon filling it, a sound effect plays.

Filled the bucket with water...

Ah... You're going to water the tulip, are you?

Yeah...

However, as we go back down to where we started...

...the path back is gone. Interacting with the square the path used to be at...

The path back is gone...

And we're trapped...

We need to move quickly. We have no idea when Mary'll be back on our heels.

Interacting with the tulip bud now reveals options.

A tulip bud...
Water it, Leave it

We're going to water it.

Poured water from the bucket...

A sound effect of pouring, as well as what I believe is a stock RTP sound for a healing spell, plays as the tulip is watered.

The tulip bloomed...

Now we must interact with it again.

There's something in the tulip...

Obtained the Gallery Key.

That must be the key to the building with the palette on it. Let's go!

Going back over to it and facing the door does indeed unlock it.

Used the Gallery Key.

Here's the Gallery! Well... not the real one, but Mary's very own. We can't interact with the wall 'paintings', however, Pandora's Box in the middle...

We go over to interact with it.

A box...

"Pandora's Box," huh...

Open it, Leave it

For story purposes, we have to open the Box. Even though it's Pandora's Box.

A shing-y sound effect plays as the symbols come up, and they spread away.

I wonder what all that was...

Yet another puzzle in puzzles, Garry. You've been here for probably hours now.

...Ah? There's something left in the box.

Obtained the Little Mirror.

A mirror... Well, let's just hope it's hope.

I think I've neglected to mention it, but there is a menu in this game (and if I have, well, it's not that memorable I guess). Every time you get an item, I think it does get added here until it's irrelevant. Here, you can see Ib, and the items on her. She has 4 inventory slots, and 2 are taken up at all times (usually) by her Lace Handkerchief (mentioned in the beginning) and the Red Rose. The Candy will also take up a slot, as well as whatever else Ib is holding at the moment, which for now is the Little Mirror. This is seen by pressing X, and usually I somehow figure out a way to get the menu to go under text boxes while speedrunning on accident because of mashing ZX. (I swear it happened once.)

Now that we're on the other end, we see a sign and a pretty well-hidden but still visible path if you look hard enough to the sign.

There's also this there, though it's not the actual Hanged Ib, it's one iteration of it, I guess. I have no idea what could've actually triggered this, since I'm used to instead a spear being fired at Ib as she walks. You can't interact with the visage of Ib hanging by the red thread. Anyway, using the path to go behind the sign and interact with it:

There's a cat drawn on the back of the sign...

Keep that in mind for later - cat on the bottom left.

On the middle left, a new butterfly appears.

A butterfly...

This butterfly's wings have an eye pattern on them...

Eye on the middle left...

This is the top left after releasing the symbols, with a new sun. Trying to enter the blue house just says,

The door is frozen over...

Luckily, the sun is producing a warm spot. Here is where you'd use the mirror.

It's warm in the sunlight...
Talk to Garry, Stand still, Put down mirror

Standing still shows this.

..........Ib. Sunbathing is nice, but we've got to go.

.....Or we might not get to see the real sun again.

Man, Garry seems to have started to snap here. Maybe he's tired and at his wit's end. I would be.

You can, however, also talk to Garry for random dialogue.

You know, as far as we've managed to come...

Aren't we headed down? All the stairs go down.,.. Is this a good way to go...?

Garry...

.....Sorry, Ib. I didn't mean to make you anxious...

Forget I said it, okay?

Yeah, Garry has really started to contemplate things. It's not like I can recommend him therapy after he gets out of here either. I think my therapist wouldn't believe me if I said I was trapped in a gallery for a few hours and started going a little off the rails.

Let's talk to him one more time before putting the mirror down.

I have to say, we've come a long way, us two...

I wonder when we'll get out? My feet are starting to get sore...

Sigh...

Now we'll put the mirror down.

Put the Little Mirror on the ground...

There's another shing-like sound effect and the sound of rapidly melting ice.

Ah! The ice on the door melted...!

I see now... You reflected the sunlight.

Next comes my second favorite dialogue from Garry, aside from 'HYEEEEEK!' way back when.

Not too shabbyyy!

:allears: Oh, Garry.

Anyway, we can now enter the building.

When we do, the music cuts out...

'Music': tokei (Clock)

This is the main Pandora's Box puzzle. On the top, there is another image.

This is the order we need to put the symbols in on the map down there... which corresponds to all the sections of the Sketchbook. Each part of the map has one of the symbols described. So far, we only know where the cat, eye, and sun are, making our current moves '?, middle left, ?, top left, ?, ?, ?, bottom left'.

I don't like the clock sound... let's go get looking.

In the top middle, you can approach the house.

It's locked...
There's a heart symbol on the door...

So the heart is on the top middle...

Then, at the top right, we must stare into the water.

.....?

The screen flashes white, and when it comes back...

A crescent moon is on the water...

Going down...

Mary continues to have an obsession with hanging things with red... hanging implements? And all the trees have sprouted fruit.

One on the top left of the screen has a singular apple - the apple symbol being another from Pandora's Box.

Going back into the house on the bottom right and inspecting the bookcase, there's a very sneaky symbol, the only one I believe that isn't present on the overworld.

There's a star symbol on the cover...

Full of stars on the inside, too...

Through logical deduction, we have all the pieces needed to input the password without even seeing the middle bottom, though if we were to go there, it would be obvious.

"Bulletin Board"
There's a spiral on the bulletin board...

Now we have everything we need to solve the puzzle. However, I did not capture this, this is the first time it's ever happened to me, a spear got thrown at me while I was traversing through the middle and I actually jumped. It's a very loud sound, and it's very unexpected, and I just about panicked. Good job on scaring me 10 years after you came out, Ib, I'm proud of you. I can't seem to find actual video of the specific one I experienced, but if you're okay with slight spoilers, I have a clip from one of my speedruns of one possible 'spear scare' here.

Making our way back up to the top left again, we can now answer the puzzle, the answer being 'top middle, left middle, top right, top left, bottom right, bottom middle, middle right, bottom left'.

Once input, a sound plays and key appears in the middle.

My headache has a headache from redoing this puzzle.

Obtained the Plastic Key.

This unfortunately isn't the Pink Key or it would be pink. However, it does unlock the house on the top middle!

Used the Plastic Key.

Music: BGM008 (Uneasy Air) but slightly slowed down, which I can't get again, sorry

The music changes. There's also a save point here, which I'm going to take. There's also what appears to be a blue box of sorts. Let's interact with it!

"Toy Box"

The screen fades out to black, and Garry appears beside us as it fades back in. I'm sure that means nothing.

This is the toy box...? It's rather big.

But at any rate...

An image of the Toy Box, close up, the opening fades in.

It said there was a key in there...

...I can't say I see the bottom.

Is there really a key in there, I wonder...?

Mary appears behind them as they're distracted.

Wanna see?

The music cuts out, a pushing sound effect plays, and the screen goes black.

Huh.....?!

And Mary pushes them into the toybox.

The screen entirely fades out...

I have also made this section a video for now. I don't think gifs would have adequately described it. If this makes this a hybrid playthrough, then fine.

Ib wakes up without her rose, and without seeing Garry around. I do kind of walk around aimlessly for a bit as I panic, thinking I'm about to get another ending, but eventually I do find the Rose before waking Garry up.

Once Garry wakes up, the Pink Key actually appears, always on the foot of the pink cat, before a 'chase' where each enemy in the room goes after you. Since you have one petal, you die if you hit an enemy. With my Ib skills, I avoid all the enemies, though it is stressful...

Next, we burn some vines before Mary comes up to us, and we are forced to... well... unfortunately, deal with her.

Garry's exclamation when the glass breaks isn't just for flavor - he in fact gets cut on the glass. However... Being able to help him requires you to hit multiple flags for him to trust you, which I purposefully avoided for this ending. Sorry.

After showing off two more interactions, well... All that's left now is to use the Pink Key and see what comes next, right?

Next time: Don't you remember me?