Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Toalpaz posted:

this is basically a scum claim

i mean think about it, you're all npc's right. not main characters who quest.

Maybe the only person standing outside is actually the shopkeeper, and that's why service is so slow here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

sandnavyguy posted:

Legit tho, shopkeeper please shop keep so everyone doesn’t snipe me for staying outside plz.

Didn't think of that, but if this is actually a day action to be resolved by a player and they're just watching everyone flail around without resolving a thing, it's going to actually be pretty funny.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

Hey guys I have a huge favor to ask. Can you all please exit the shop

Speaking of funny, I am glad we're actually still on "mandatory masking at work" mode because re-reading this sequence of posts definitely made me crack a laugh :roflolmao:.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Got a stupidly acute headache and can't really focus my eyes much right now, so brief.

Hal stuck out to me on his response too - kinda noncommittal, like he picked some subjects that were discussed and glossed over them. I can do Hal. Probably will once the votecounter is back on, because I don't know where we stand and I don't want to hammer right when it looks like we get to discussing poo poo.

I still am pinged by Tobbs because he reminds me of a certain past scummate, also a returning oldtimer. He has sounded kinda forced when asked for reads, down to listing people, which is not a scumtell in itself but it reminds me of something people will do when forced to have an opinion - put everyone in there and sort them out instead of going at the people that bother you. It doesn't mean Tobbs is scum and I know playing with unknowns suck so I understand, but it is a sticking thing. Also, he has mostly joked around the rest of the time.

SNG's response sounded spontaneous to me, in contrast. Like someone who's missed everything and is commenting when back on. Does not sound forced. Still will second the ask for reads from them.

Can't think. Will resume game later.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CirclMastr posted:

So aside from the fact that I feel like I have no chance of catching up for day 1, it sure as (s)hell seems like Shell is town.

First of all, happy you're back to normal! Can't imagine going for so long without electricity, drat.

Most of the posts are noise, don't think it'd be so hard to go at the two or three sticking points. It'd be good if you did so when you could, please.

Votefinder being dead is playing hell with my perception of time and making me nervous about nighttime deadlines, but I think we still have time.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hal Insandenza posted:

Well I mean you skipped quoting the post where we were talking about the store thing and I said after I thought about it for a while I had come to the same conclusion as RF that avoiding going into the store seems more scum oriented than town oriented, especially as scum would have some people in the store and would probably want to keep someone out just in case whatever happened in there was not good.

Gotta ask, not just Hal but anyone else, because it's not the first time I've seen this thrown around - how in Earth did you all see "A store appears, shop?" and think that's somehow a trap? Joking bomb posts aside, where exactly are you all seeing danger here? It's a store.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hal Insandenza posted:

I didn't think it was a trap really, I mean I went right in.

But I remember my third game ever (RF's Assassin's Creed Mafia) we had a chance to go into a temple D1 and I went in and was killed just for going in so I am always going to have some suspicion.

But more to the point, if I was on a team of 3-4 scum I would probably want someone to stay out of the shop just in case.

Alright.

That's a way of seeing it, "scum would want to protect one of their members at least". What from, I am not clear, if the shop really is having a perjudicial effect, then everyone's screwed anyway. But I guess I can see it.

The conterpoint is, would you, as scum, as a planned group action, choose to leave out the guy who a) appeared the last one on scene and b) has nothing in the way of an alibi, being that they have posted next to nothing at that point, and is going to stick out like a sore thumb? If you fear it's a trap, wouldn't you try and make that more discreet?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

t a s t e posted:

It’s just a joke!

I... kinda want to echo this. Like, I don't think Binus knows anything we don't about the shop, and there is not a way to "get out" anyway, so, huh.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

We are spinning our wheels at this point, though. Dex remains absent. I still got a more town read on her than I did on many others yesterday, but not so much I feel compelled to put together a defense. SNG showed up for a bit and has not provided any reads. Neither have a bunch of others who were asked. At least another five or six people, so a third of the game, are (explicitly or not) not saying or doing anything that can be read.

I think Hal's casing is rather flimsy (Dex used a false meta argument on him and Merk?), but tbh there is no way that any case today is going to be solid. At least he bothered to show up and defend himself a bit, so points for trying. Don't feel enthusiastic at all about him.

I don't see Binus. Or rather I don't see Binus more than usual. Lazy lurker lunches are lazy, and flipping him is telling us exactly zilch.

I am banking on any action we're having today happening at the dead of night. I don't think we're no-lunching. Vote stays put for now. If by some miracle we extend all the way to deadline (I think it'll be around 6 am here?) I will try to binge-read and revisit accordingly.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Yami Fenrir posted:

Deadline is 9 1/2 hours from now. I kind of expected it to be more temporary though so as a temporary measure please note your current vote in your confessionary and ping me when you change it as long as it remains down.

Scratch that, going from this post, deadline is going to happen at 4 am. So no revisiting anything. Will stick around a little bit longer but I am gone in an hour or so, so, here's hoping we nail scum, somehow.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also you all get to hammer without votecounter and while the mod is probably asleep :eek:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I refuse to lunch Circl, the poor bastard hasn't made it past day 2 in his last 3 games laffo.

Alright, just in case I don't live to D2 ( I hope so, I'm having fun despite grumpyposts earlier).

Plas, who scum?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

You see a post

Alright this was good :roflolmao:.

I got something from the shop (I assume it was the shop, got it EOD), but no idea where SNG's thing came from. Did everyone collectively decide to hate him for being an outsider against the norms or what?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Also, we lost the tracker D1, just great. Now I feel bad for badgering him for reads. RIP Plastic, eternal Miller.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

Shell did you get any kind of event or anything? I didn't get any kind of follow up from the shop, wondering if anyone else did

Mm, I got an one-use item after hammer and before night. I assumed it was the shop, unless anyone decided to spend a D1 action on me or some poo poo. I got no indication of where it came from.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

t a s t e posted:

I’d like to examine this

I was kinda surprised when I read what happened. Then I thought that if Merk was doing the doublevote, then it'd probably be him checking the votecount at that time, and if I did that and I saw a stray vote while doing so I'd probably put it where it belonged. Don't think it was scum, but can be wrong.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sandnavyguy posted:

Interesting. I wonder if there was a finite selection? When did you enter?

Suppose it'd be random, no sense in giving the prize to the first people in. Also, don't think we are going to guess that, and don't think this will help us find scum.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sandnavyguy posted:

I do. Because figuring out what was from shop and what was from others will help narrow down who visited who when we start figuring out roles on a later day. Dismissing it out of hand is a bad play imo. It’s role madness so catching people up in lies based on visitation is my line of thinking long term. I don’t think it’s be random either. First come first serve makes sense, no?

Uh, I am as much a fan of night action bingo as anyone, but trying to unravel 17-players role-madness with items N1 action seems like a recipe for disaster.

Fwiw, my action was successful - someone should have gotten a boon after N1. Up to them if they want to claim it or not, I won't ask.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I don't think it's first-come first-serve due to timing, fwiw. I am the only Euro player here and I think we have no Aussies. This went up late US, past midnight, and around 8 am local time. There is no way you can ensure equal chance of an item if you go on a first-come basis, and I don't think Yami would set up a thing that was openly discriminatory.

Still, there is just no drat way we will know unless you want everyone who got something to say it. I don't think we should get a list of item-havers by any means. And again, this is not helping us get scum!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Correctoon: we have Bif, so one Aussie (awake at the time), one Euro (awake at the time) and a lot of sleepy USgoons. May be missing someone, don't know where the rest are from, but I know who was posting at the time and there weren't many people.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I am good with what I have, and if it's random, it's better to maximize chances of it spreading around I suppose. So I won't enter this time.

Also, there should be some other things to see here, we don't really need to rush the guy with a stack of hatred. We have time, it's a weekend. Let's look at everything.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

I have D&D tonight so not sure I'll be super active right off the bat. I'd like to go back to what I was going to post before merk extra voted (SNG suspicions) but with the added hate I need to think it over.

You were voting binus right? I didn't fix it in vote finder but I've done that in the past so I assume someone did it but I don't consider that scummy? It was still your intended vote, then merk hammered. I assume merk would be the one who corrected it though if I had to guess, I assume he got some boon for his vote (he seemed eager and intense about where the votes were).

Merk had a double vote, which seems enough of a reason to be eager as to where votes are, in a night where deadline is sneaking in and Votefinder is screwy. But I think that's something Merk himself should tell us, we're not figuring out that by ourselves either.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sandnavyguy posted:

Ah, yeah that seals it then, shells right fully random. And I checked, the hated wasn’t from my actions.

How do you know that about the "hated" thing?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

##enter shop

Honestly surprised people aren't blaming me for starting the b- train up again as a joke, when votefinder was reset but not fixed, and had lots of uncounted sng votes and b- as the lead.

We can blame you if you want, but really, nobody has looked at the votecount so closely for now. Is there anything you want to say?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

God I love players blowing all their voting powers as early as possible.

Shell, I don't have anything in particular to say. Honestly we were probably onto something wrt Hal or SNG. I would say scum maybe gleefully took the b- swing.

Tbh, I agree. First votes are people I, personally, have kinda good town reads on. I'd be more inclined to look at the back of the queue, but Taste's complaints make me think he's also surprised town - why draw attention to that screwy vote thing otherwise? You'd want to remain silent as scum there, not make a fuss about your vote.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Well, Plastic's vote is a joke thing he didn't bother to remove, which I was ready to grill him over, but tbh, well. Cannot argue here. Sorry buddy, you scummy.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sandnavyguy posted:

I’ve already went on record about this, but the b- vote was whole cloth made from nothing, and boggled my mind. I still don’t see a real argument for Hal, and I at least know why y’all keep voting for me, so I think scum kicked back and just let active and misguided town take charge.

Hal did offer rather flimsy reads, then became active when Merk confronted him, but still played mostly on the defensive. That's my read from yesterday. I gave him a pass because playing while presumably sleep-deprived and tired is lovely as gently caress and I don't particularly want or like eliminating someone without a chance. But I don't really liked what I saw, am expecting him to be better today and offer us something else to read.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

sandnavyguy posted:

That’s… what I just said? I agree that you all think it was scummy. But if you can’t argue, what was the point of this post?

Ain't answering to you, I was making a note to my earlier post. And I don't really know what the hell are you on now, tbh.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Alright. Slower posting so we don't get a case of literal-reads again.

- I did not like Plastic's vote yesterday.
- Plastic is dead and flipped town.
- So me not liking it is related to me thinkimg Plastic is scummy, which tends to happen, and in this case, with no motive.

I am not addressing SNG or anyone else there. So, maybe, slow down a bit please? Not everybody is looking to turbo you here.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

Right but I think the question is why mention it at all then?
Though fwiw I don't think you're scum, claiming the shop thing right away is more of a pro-town move, but it is odd to make a post like that that accomplishes nothing

I was tacking on my earlier post. Also yeah, post accomplishes nothing, what of? I clarified because SNG seemed to think I was calling him scummy or something. There is enough noise on the thread now.

Do we want to look at the Binus votes, do something else, or are we all sitting here discussing SNG while he gets worked out and we run circles?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

merk posted:

I would never myself and never be involved in gamesmanship surrounding vote fuckery. I’ve replaced out of games for much much less from others where I was tangentially involved.

Alright. I know I would have, if I knew where the vite should be, but I have no idea of basic game etiquette so I'll assume that's some big faux pas.

So there's another mystery to the pile. I know I was not loving with votes at 2 am, and I have no idea who was on.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Bif's "suspicions"? There was no content or explanation. Anywho, I don't see any harm in explaining myself.

Here's a pretty obvious reference to monsters. Please recall that bee flipped town monster. (bolding for emphasis)

What's a popular energy drink brand? Monster.

So yeah, I responded to her breadcrumb, but her response in turn makes me think she was fishing. Why?

I'm also a town monster. I think she picked up on that, and suddenly she wants me dead. There's at least two monsters in this game (me and bee) and my guess is that Bif wants us dead for some reason.

Am I wrong? Or insane? Maybe, probably, who knows?

Uh.

Why'd you two feel the need to breadcrumb that of all the drat things?

Supposing Bif is some monster hunter thing. What'd that tell us about her alignment?

If she's scum and you are town, she doesn't need another reason to want you voted out.

If she's not scum and you are, she is not figuring that out from your flavor, Binus flipped town monster.

And if neither of you are scum, you are saying she's some kind of headhunter or something? Because it's waaaaay to early in the game to go 3p/wincon hunting, moreso if we are going to get town voted out anyway.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

merk posted:

Bif, look at Toal this game and tell me whether they are town or scum.

I can tell you they've played next to zilch, if that helps. I don't like silent Toal (as in, not making ANY sort of game comments), it's not a good augury.

What's giving me pause on them is that they're drawing attention to themselves. Their posting looks like not doing nothing, but doing so in a way it gets them looked at. This seems odd to me. If you (as scum) are going to coast, then you coast, if not, you usually try to at least look like you're trying. Calling attention to themselves in a way that says "look at me, I am NOT PLAYING" is what's not fitting to me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

Don't have the hypertown vibes yet, no fuckin idea what scum Toal looks like though

But I know your scum game loooooves just goin balls out to secure those hammers though hey

And you really shoulda known better about binus hey, wouldn't you say?

##vote merk

I'm really trying not to meta up this game because I am freaking bored of trying to decipher cases based on meta of people I have never seen and I have no data at all on. But alright.

I have never seen Scum Toal. I have seen SK Toal, twice. You have, too, you played with me last game I played. They sounded different there, way more subdued. I cannot put it into words,I was real busy trying to scum badly there, but what I got from their posts said "tired player". This doesn't sound the same.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If you need me I'll be here repairing stuff and reading posts.

We need you doing reads. Or at least commenting on the game. I know that's how you play, you give barebone reads and votes and help at night (when town).

But you are a drat black box. As in, I have an inkling of what you are because I have scummed with you before and know you have a couple tells. Me. The rest haven't. This ends up with you either becoming a scum scapegoat or being eventually lunched for info when nobody can figure out wtf is with you.

So, words, please. You have words. Use them. I don't care if you don't know what to say, but at least say something. Let people read you.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

merk posted:

Ok I guess

Aight, I have a question. Probably a stupid one, but bear with me. Game gets different when you aren't watching it happen and are waking up to done deeds instead.

What was the thought process behind the double vote hammer?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The setup spec thing is actually making my head spin a little. Call it mafia PTSD. Last time I played, half my scumteam was fixated in speccing the game in-thread. So the disgressions about the shop and the mechanics are not really making me confident on their posters.

I'll clarify tho, because someone actually asked earlier: dunno what the upgrades thing is referring to, but I am not related to that.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

##vote Toal

Consider this a pressure vote. We need to get some mouths and brains running already.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

If I have to come up with an insane stupid weird gimmick thing every time I play it's going to be tough playing town.

Looking at the vote, given that I don't have smell scum stink generally, scum are players I don't normally play with and or mafia ultra vets.

That puts scum at Tom, Dex, Merk, and Taste on the vote. Given that I think the b- vote was a silent defence of sng or Hal, I think that Tom is especially suspect for being an early voter. I can't help but suspect Merk who would wanna double vote and secure hammer asap before people could discuss or be worried.

I think the stupid taste vote re assignment on vote finder would be easy to fake and some stupid gambit to add a layer of contrivance over the vote to make him look targeted by scum.

Please don't feel obliged to put on a gimmick or think of a gambit every time. I for myself am good with having you play and press scum here and there. You have a really good brain as-is, no need to force yourself onto an act.

I also understand being pretty effing lost with reading the less frequent players because hell knows I am too.

That said, questions:

- Do you actually suspect scum being hidden on the early push or the late push? You seem to think it was the latter (Merk hammer, Taste vote fuckery) but then suspect Tom because he was one of the first votes. What is it?

- You did vote Binus. What was your reasoning there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

##unvote

They are at -4 so still not a great risk, but I am giving Toal time to defend themselves. No need to turbo, we need info, not quick lunches.