Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Lets do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I am rolling in late, what things will I stumble upon.

Sandicap posted:

I am playing in a game that is larger than my preference. Bah humbug.

I always wanted to ask why 15 was a hard limit for you.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Retro Futurist posted:

##vote maerlyn suspicious d1 posting

I hadn't even posted anything yet, nice try

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shellception posted:

Yeah, this game I think skews older, mafia-wise, that the handful we've had lately. As far as I can see, anyway, not that I have much of a frame of reference.

So I am here to play the part of the newbie, because someone has to, and Deadmeat still hasn't reported (Circlr I think is not that new).

How do you play this?

Yay Shell! I am glad you are playing :) I hope we are on the same side but now I'm a little worried. This is not your first game so what are you talking about?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Hal Insandenza posted:

My new theory is we start by voting out the least experienced players and work backwards from there

Not a big fan, gotta let the newbies play otherwise how will they become oldbies?

Let's go in reverse, whoever has the most games played.....:devil:

##vote Hal

(I'm guessing 500+ is most, I'm not actually checking)

Shellception posted:

Down for it, but let's get a compromise: least, then most, then least, then most. Get the game down to the median by LYLO, it's the better outcome, statistically speaking.

This sounds more reasonable.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandicap posted:

My brain has trouble holding on to that many interactions simultaneously. I tend to get overwhelmed when I actually try, so it pushes me to not try, which means I am not happy with my level of play, which means I have less fun playing.

But Yami asked me nicely, and I have a hard time saying no, so here I am.

I can relate - I was going to pass because I can't put in the same amount of effort in two games or I'll go mad, but I'm going to try to handle things differently. We'll see how successful I am.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

merk posted:

This doesn't change anything

At least it wasn't "I'm just here so I won't get fined" but we haven't been very welcoming to Circl lately so give him a break

Retro Futurist posted:

So you admit you aren’t posting town stuff :chord:

I hadn't posted any stuff... You're sounding weird again RF, is that normal for you?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Hal Insandenza posted:

Pretty sus of Maerlyn now

Bifauxnen posted:

For real or did I miss the joke this time

It wouldn't be a mafia game if I didn't gently caress up in some unknown way or say something weird.

I wasn't bothered by RF's vote on me since clearly (I thought) that was a joke, the little add on felt weird though so it pings me a bit. I don't know if that's what Hal's referring to or if it's something else.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Oh hey it's a town binus. Thank God.

That's not proof, hate to say

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

We haven't played together so I do question how Dex would know whether or not I'm being genuine (some things are obviously not genuine, like suggesting we should vote out Hal as an old timer).

I was sincere about Circl though, I do feel a bit bad for him lately and Merk's comment was assholish. That has no bearing on his or my alignment though.

Bifauxnen posted:

I gave Circl the same welcome I give all my best mafia friends!

I'm waiting for the day you *finger guns* me because I've sassed you to the point that I've earned it.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shellception posted:

Nobody had rolled in with the old "new player here how do you play" schtick and the only younger player than me was away, so there was a niche that needed filled. Should anyone care, I've been playing/spectating for a couple months, and I still suck at this.

RF sounding weird is kinda normal. You not posting any stuff is more worrying, lol. Someone needs to help me eat the thread. Though Bif is playing, so we'll be probably OK.

Uh... well, ok? ##vote Binus

Mae plays like that, both as scum and as town. She tends to take things literally sometimes, but afaik that's not one of her scumtells (yeah, yeah, I know, meta stuff bad)

I think it's safe to say you're good at mafia/getting better, you're not that much of a newbie so I was thrown off a touch :)

I haven't interacted with RF much despite the number of games I've been in lately... I think we've been on opposing teams or he died early or I died early in games we've been in which may explain why I felt odd about him (somewhat unfamiliar so not sure why he was poking me, that was my perception anyway).

Speaking of which, it's funny you commented on my taking things literally because I've had several of those :doh: moments today. I'm not sure why, I think I'm trying to post more "off the cuff" and not thinking things over as much as I normally would.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

##Enter Shop

Fortune favors the bold

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Toalpaz posted:

how is every nyan today

Better, I had a filling and crown prep so half my face was numb but the ibuprofen is kicking in finally (not numb anymore but a little tender from the shots).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandicap posted:

Shop bomb would be the best possible outcome.

sandnavyguy is the sole survivor and winner by default

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Toalpaz posted:

Listen.

Up.

These are content lurking scum. Shell... For posting very awkwardly and poorly. Tobbs for parroting other people's words.

Discuss.

I don't see Shell as content lurking? She comments on RF as not seeming suspicious and she also makes a comment about Dead doing a light "come visit me" ala binus and says that's similar to his town behavior so far. Things are starting out slowly in this game but I don't see Shell coming off badly here, is there something in particular not being addressed?

Tobbs is bothering me but not for the empty "visit shop" quote, I don't understand where the binus town claim is coming from unless he's just taking binus word for it or what is happening there

PlasticAutomaton posted:

##vote: Binus

This is usually correct.

b-minus1 posted:

You could not be more wrong

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Oh hey it's a town binus. Thank God.

Like this is a pretty bonkers take to me unless he's being silly (I've never played with Tobbs). Add the "we are town" bit too.

Considering Dex seems town minded (sus of me and their reasoning didn't sound fake) I'm not sure why binus is thinking Dex is scum. I'll ask for a reason from binus but I don't know that I'll get one.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm back at work after a week off but I'll try to post more thoughts at lunch. Things do feel like they are starting to get convoluted here so focusing on catching up with work and mafia is nearly impossible right now.

merk posted:

I’ll volunteer

I have...suspicions (maybe that's a "regardless of alignment" thing though).

Are you going to respond to what Shell asked on the last page?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Trying to catch up:

b-minus1 posted:

##vote Tom tucker

I don't know what binus is doing here, he feels more inconsistent than normal...votes for Dex (I thought he voted for Grandi but maybe just suspicious) and then Tom - before Tom's post.

I felt good about Plastic questioning Shell because it was a good point he brought up, but then he said this: (why are we the "always look scummy" people?):

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's Day 1, I never try day 1 unless I'm suspicious of Bif. :colbert:

But in all seriousness, I'm trying to avoid any early calls because there's three players here I've never played with, so I don't really have a sense of them yet. Which is unfortunate because two of them are randomly sticking up for other players as definitely town already.

Out of 17 players, there's only a few that are new to us...saying you're avoiding any early calls just because of a few new faces comes off oddly avoidant for you.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Toalpaz posted:

I like to think I'm as cool as a cucumber in every game :cool:

I'm a member of the Toal fan club now (I remember my first game with you, god I was so loving confused...lol). Well you do still confuse me but it's part of your charm.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Obvious deflection is obvious. I don't like this.

##vote Sandicap

This makes me feel good about deadmeat, he has been more prone to jokes over real discussion so to post like this feels townie to me.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sorry to mess up your count Yami, my Hal vote was an early joke but ##vote binus is where I'm comfortable for now.

Besides his flip flopping with votes he votes Tom Tucker for what reason I haven't seen, and Tom later posts a long post with reads about everyone that feels very town minded. Binus responded with just "nice OMGUS". No thoughts on the content of anything in the rest of the post, nothing trying to figure out Tom's alignment, just a thin little retort.

Shellception posted:

Gotta ask, not just Hal but anyone else, because it's not the first time I've seen this thrown around - how in Earth did you all see "A store appears, shop?" and think that's somehow a trap? Joking bomb posts aside, where exactly are you all seeing danger here? It's a store.

This also leads me to another reason to be suspicious of binus, trying to alarm everyone about something pretty innocuous. Yami puts a lot of time and effort into his games, do you think he's going to make a day action that could basically ruin his entire game in the first day? I'm not sure what binus is trying to achieve here but with this and his other posts I'm feeling really leery about him.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

CirclMastr posted:

So aside from the fact that I feel like I have no chance of catching up for day 1, it sure as (s)hell seems like Shell is town.

Even just gut reads is better than nothing. I hate to say it but you're just kind of repeating something a lot of others have said, that Shell looks town.

I've been slacking hardcore compared to my usual effort but if I can try to be caught up so can you.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

merk posted:

The only thing I don't like about Dex is this meta point on me. Dex hasn't played a game with me in at least 1+ years, so why would you assume I am the same player I was before? Why rely on meta at all?

I do agree with this point too, you still have your "super town" moments but you are not consistent (I like to say you come in many flavors). I had that impression of you when I first started playing again though so I didn't really take it as Dex being scummy, just expecting something they might not get.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shellception posted:

I... kinda want to echo this. Like, I don't think Binus knows anything we don't about the shop, and there is not a way to "get out" anyway, so, huh.

I don't think it's just a joke, I'm sure someone has good reason to keep whatever it means close to their chest for now. That's why I don't understand his reaction, everyone else is just making jokes or commenting idly/curiously.

Also hooray for the Circl List:

Town
Shell
Merk
Toal
Tom Tucker
Deadmeat (a sliver, gotta keep building)

Scum
Binus
Tobbs
Plastic
SNG

Dunno
Hal
Bif
RF
Taste
Etc

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't think everyone sharing town lists is very beneficial. It's best to point out who you think is town if and when they are in danger of being lunched, before that it's just helping scum decide who's best to kill first.

Yikes, that's a good point I hadn't thought of.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Back from dinner, I think we only have about an hour and a half left? Yami posted at 4:18 PM my time saying deadline was in roughly 5 hours...That is 9 PM ish and here it's 7:30 PM. I hope that's not entirely the case (it would be 4 AM in Germany)?

Anyway going to post some more reads/thoughts.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

So much for those reads I guess, you couldn't give me 30 mins?

I think that was hammer though?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I have D&D tonight so not sure I'll be super active right off the bat. I'd like to go back to what I was going to post before merk extra voted (SNG suspicions) but with the added hate I need to think it over.

t a s t e posted:

I’d like to examine this

You were voting binus right? I didn't fix it in vote finder but I've done that in the past so I assume someone did it but I don't consider that scummy? It was still your intended vote, then merk hammered. I assume merk would be the one who corrected it though if I had to guess, I assume he got some boon for his vote (he seemed eager and intense about where the votes were).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'll be posting more after some rereads but merk, Tobbs and SNG feel like good votes.

Merk was happy to vote out binus, I have a feeling it could have been any name up there but he was very concerned about making sure that lunch happened when it did. His looking at binus voters now feels very disingenuous.

I had made a point about wanting to write some things and I was writing about SNG, we had time to move votes so maybe he was afraid it would move binus further away from hammer and he made a comment earlier about his role being tied to deadline, so did he get a boon for being the hammering vote? It feels like he acted in self interest.

I want to reread D1, I know he was poking at Hal but I'm not sure he commented on binus so this may cool/change but I'm curious to see how he'll respond.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I was miffed at how deadline went down, I know merk acts according to his win condition but is it also town's?

I'll admit I got very little sleep (6 hours D&D, post game chat and the come down took awhile so I didn't go to bed until 5 AM) so I'll be playing catch up once I finish eating.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Shellception posted:

Alright. You put your Merk read down, I am interested in actually hearing your reasoning behind Tobbs and SNG too.

Also, you've got one of the best ears I know for discerning people's tones. Anyone pinging you on tone?

I feel like there's a bunch of "hard to read" people or new to me players so that's a tough one, I also second guess myself a lot. I'll tell you what I think after my read.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

My brain feels like mush today but I'm trying.

I'll start with SNG since that was who I was going to discuss more at the end of D1. I can't recreate my post word for word but I'll try to summarize...the idea of making arguments not about actual reads with players (analyzing interactions, tone, vote and rationale) and instead when they posted and how long the post is, the style of the post itself is a weak way of casing. I can understand that if he was playing with a lot of unknown players but he isn't a new player.

sandnavyguy posted:

Good morning! So, let me posit some things now that I’m on lunch~

Hal is posting like hal normally does on day 1, a little more actively than usual but I’ll chalk that up to and I don’t begrudge anyone for voting a lurker D1, beyond the usual grumbles that it’s a lazy vote. Especially given a solid half the player base would qualify.

Tommy is my vote today. Gave some strong reads, long posts, then disappeared. This isn’t a hypocritical lurker post, it’s that a power move with reads first, stir the pot for town cred and then no follow up is a good scum play on a D1 this slow.

##vote Tom Tucker

Why not address the actual reads Tom posted? Does he agree or disagree and why? He says he overanalyzes, it's fine I can be that way too but the length and timing of posts are not a sign of scumminess.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Someone please slap the poo poo out of me for still being awake right now (it's almost 6 AM fml):

I'm comfortable with ##vote merk

I'll look at Toal again closer but he's expecting Toal to act in a certain manner that he believes is Toal's meta. They mix it up but I remember Toal posting two questions/reads trying to get more serious discussion started which gave me a good feeling about them. Merk doesn't act the exact same way every time he plays so I don't know where this idea is coming from that Toal should meet an expectation. Did he point out something that Toal said that was actually potentially scummy?

Shell asked his thought process behind the double vote, his response:

merk posted:

I was trying to get content moving earlier in the day. It wasn’t really happening. Someone said they hoped the shop would help drive content, but that wasn’t happening either.

Votecount was 4 (b-) to 3 (SNG) with just a few hours to go.

I wanted to make sure we got an elimination d1 to at least have some discussion today, so I tossed my votes near deadline.

Merk can say this is why he put down an extra vote on binus but I think it's pretty clear he wanted to be the hammer because it relates to his role:

merk posted:

Knowing the votecount right now before I start to spend the evening with my wife and likely not catch up before deadline is critical to my role

Does anyone know it

There were a couple hours left and I don't think we would have been in any danger of not lunching anyone. Maybe he's trying to defend SNG but to me he just gets a benefit and wanted to make sure he hit it. If you look at the time stamps he hammered binus 1 minute after taste voted...he didn't "toss" his votes, he waited for the right moment.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Merk are you legitimately waffling? I know you've done it before as town (and I incorrectly thought it was scum behavior) but it feels forced.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

gently caress I didn't realize how close deadline is but I'm not feeling Toal as scum without looking at them closer. Toal and SNG are currently tied?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

merk posted:

I am. However, what’s the point of this question? Do you think I would, as scum, come in and go “mwahahahaha you caught me! I am fake waffling!!!!”

Also I was looking for something resembling sincerity.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Votefinder shows merk voting dex and toal? Is that just because Yami needs to update it?

I'd prefer to stay on merk but will move to Dex or SNG to consolidate. I didn't like Dex saying they 100% could see a scum merk playing with votes and then in the next post say they were totally against voting merk. I had a fairly town vibe of them from earlier but I have missed some info in the middle that I need to look at.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

##vote SNG

Toalpaz posted:

-2 each

folks at least i'm posting compared to sng, and I promised tom a visit which may have prompted him to vote me. XD

This is it for me, SNG disappeared again but Toal has been here trying.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm surprised at the amount of "Dex jailed + missing NK = Dex scum" right off the bat in a role madness game.

Other than their flip flop on Merk they haven't stood out to me as much as some others (merk, Tobbs). I'm still trying to parse feelings on players that are newer to me though.

I had a town read on Toal early in the game but I'm having trouble seeing where they're coming from now by suspecting Bif and Shell as scum. Shell had rolled scum a couple times earlier and her vibe was alot different, I feel pretty good about her being town here. I can try to point to some examples.

Bifauxnen posted:

Thinking of a different Lily Allen song now

:kiss:

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Retro Futurist posted:

I feel iffy about toal's claim

I did too at first, maybe less the role but the target but I think I've had that same issue before... Why BG someone who thinks you're scum? (I'm just spiteful I guess, haha).

I think Tom explained it though as a way to clear people which I hadn't considered. It's pretty smart and makes it more believable for me.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

merk posted:

The Toal claim is also bothering me for multiple reasons: 1) timing; and 2) the perfect breadcrumbing.

Will you elucidate on this please or point me to where you've discussed it before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Ok I'm remembering now, the breadcrumb at least. You think they were "threatening" to investigate Tom and conveniently brought that up around hammer to save themselves?

I'll admit a big reason why I voted SNG is he just straight up vanished again. I asked him a question, he gave a somewhat satisfactory response and then poof, gone.