Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
in this thread we should all talk about how evil the CIA is.

like, it was founded by a guy who committed treason to send finance to the head of nazi military intelligence when the war was even on, in the plans of creating a covert stay behind organization to fight the soviets, which would later become gladio AND west german intelligence (which at one time was almost entirely nazis and run by a nazi) and also help loads of nazi war criminals escape after the war, not just the ones that they themselves were hiding.

thats a good start. the CIA is evil.

langley delenda est.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the CIA set up a program to teach corrupt third world countries' special forces how to torture dissidents and named it the School Of The Americas

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Filthy Hans posted:

the CIA set up a program to teach corrupt third world countries' special forces how to torture dissidents and named it the School Of The Americas

and then trained people there who were later released on the pine ridge indian reservation during the occupation of wounded knee.

these GOONs (this is literally what they were called i am not making this up) drove around with pintle mounted MGs in trucks, shooting, looting and raping, on american soil to american citizens.

langley delenda est

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/06/acoustic-kitty-technological-history-of-american-espionage/396728/

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/04/30/us/ex-director-of-cia-disappears-while-canoeing-on-choppy-river.html

quote:

William E. Colby, the spymaster who led the Central Intelligence Agency through its worst days in the mid-1970's, was missing and presumed dead today after disappearing while on a solo canoe trip in rough waters, the authorities said.

His canoe was found on a sandbar on Sunday, 400 yards from his weekend home in Rock Point, Md., a settlement about 40 miles south of Washington at the confluence of the Wicomico and Potomac Rivers.

[...]

A neighbor found the house unlocked with Mr. Colby's computer and radio turned on and his supper dishes on the table, the authorities said. Alerted to his apparent disappearance, the Coast Guard, along with a helicopter and two police boats from the Maryland State Police, searched for Mr. Colby on Sunday and today but had no success.

probably nothing, not organized crime related stuff anyway

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

you should definitely swing by the Epstein thread and learn about Jolly West, if you're interested in having your brain broken in new and fun ways.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naVDM8ZKCdo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I am usually less interested in the more outlandish stories and more into the naked power moves. I mean you could ignore the ties between West and Manson, but the mass murder of million in the Indonesia is less debatable.

To me the real birth of the CIA, l happened just before Roosevelt died when the OSS started spying on the Soviets behind the back of the administration; after FDR died, the US became a different country.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:32 on Nov 17, 2021

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

The CIA sucks and I’m happy that trump mocked them in front of their wall of dead spies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VideoKid posted:

The CIA sucks and I’m happy that trump mocked them in front of their wall of dead spies

Supposed to be a wall of heroes but it's more like a wall of the ones who didn't get away!

I like spies who are successful and don't get captured!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Granted, I am usually less interested in the more outlandish stories and more into the naked power moves. I mean you could ignore the ties between West and Manson, but the mass murder of million in the Indonesia is less debatable.

To me the real birth of the CIA, l happened just before Roosevelt died when the OSS started spying on the Soviets behind the back of the administration; after FDR died, the US became a different country.

Yeah, the thing about the CIA for me is that they have either more or less admitted to or been caught red-handed doing so many horrible things, like facilitating the mass murder in Indonesia for just one of many examples, that you don't even need to embellish their record or believe in the more outlandish conspiracy theories to know that they're an evil and vile organization that should be abolished.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lol I got probed in D&D for saying the CIA was a crime syndicate and not an intelligence agency.

They are extremely bad at gathering intel, but very good at murdering random people and selling drugs!

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol I got probed in D&D for saying the CIA was a crime syndicate and not an intelligence agency.

They are extremely bad at gathering intel, but very good at murdering random people and selling drugs!

Also they basically just absorbed the third Reich and protected countless Nazi war criminals often for no real reason. Allen Dulles was probably a Nazi himself.

Langley delenda est.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

no need for a probably on there, he definitely was

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Azathoth posted:

no need for a probably on there, he definitely was

Love to name airports after the American Himmler

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, the thing about the CIA for me is that they have either more or less admitted to or been caught red-handed doing so many horrible things, like facilitating the mass murder in Indonesia for just one of many examples, that you don't even need to embellish their record or believe in the more outlandish conspiracy theories to know that they're an evil and vile organization that should be abolished.

sure but the theories and wild stories are "fun" and probably true

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I don't think Langley is the proper declension

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I don't think Langley is the proper declension

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
how many CIA agents do you think Trump got killed, directly or indirectly?

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

quote:

Allen Welsh Dulles (/ˈdʌləs/; April 7, 1893 – January 29, 1969) was the first civilian Director of Central Intelligence (DCI), and its longest-serving director to date. As head of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) during the early Cold War, he oversaw the 1953 Iranian coup d'état, the 1954 Guatemalan coup d'état, the Lockheed U-2 aircraft program, the Project MKUltra mind control program and the Bay of Pigs Invasion

lol wghat a resume

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

rabble rabble posted:

lol wghat a resume

Quite possibly the most evil American and that is a truly remarkable accomplishment

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

listen I know the CIA suck rear end but on the other hand all the books about their bumblings against Cuba are funny as hell to read

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

HerraS posted:

listen I know the CIA suck rear end but on the other hand all the books about their bumblings against Cuba are funny as hell to read

Yes it owns. Seeing these insane fascists gently caress up over and over again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HerraS posted:

My fav still had to be how the female agents sent to either spy on him or kill Castro ended up sleeping with him.

The Virgin CIA vs the Chad Fidel Castro

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the cia may kill a lot of people, but it also helped popularize some rad drugs, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,

Delta-Wye has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Nov 17, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

He definitely has a charm about him. Just ask Margaret Trudeau.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

etalian posted:

My fav still had to be how the female agents sent to either spy on him or kill Castro ended up sleeping with him.

The Virgin CIA vs the Chad Fidel Castro

https://www.military.com/video/forces/military-foreign-forces/flashback-fidel-castros-moral-vest/1168209814001

castro has always been top tier chad material

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

HerraS posted:

Constantly losing to a tiny island country has probably driven some of them to drinks or insanity.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Constantly losing to a tiny island country has probably driven some of them to drinks or insanity.

maybe as far as to developing some sort of disease, perhaps a syndrome of some sort?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Mom once went to rural Nicaragua as a part of a medical mission. Buncha surgeons and ophthalmologists with the associated support staff went down to remove cateracts and do eye exams and get people glasses. Pearle Vision donated a ton of these big, blocky glasses in all sorts of prescriptions so that you could give people a pair that would last and McDonald's bought plane tickets and gave them a bunch of old Happy Meal toys for kids. The kids loving loved the toys.

At the time, mom really hadn't ever been outside of the US except to go to other Western countries in Europe or up to Canada, so she was fairly sheltered when it came to what captial-P Poverty actually looked like. I think it changed her for the better, she certainly came back to the States having given away most of what she went down with to the wives of the locals who'd assisted the mission.

This was back when the Contras were still active, and while she was there they attacked a local farm and killed four people. Not cops or soliders or anything, just four farmhands who'd happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She didn't know them, but for the local village it was a serious blow because they were all guys from the area who had families to feed. She came back from Nicaragua with a better sense of consciousness about her place in the world and hating the CIA and the Contras like poison. And even now as she approaches 70 if you bring up the CIA she'll get mad and talk about how she'll never forgive "those loving spooks".

Anyway, that's my story about why my cool mom hates the CIA.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
can you even imagine how much evil the CIA could have done if they weren't all dipshits though like we should be very lucky that the average CIA agent is just sideshow bob because otherwise we'd be REALLY hosed.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

CaptainACAB posted:

can you even imagine how much evil the CIA could have done if they weren't all dipshits though like we should be very lucky that the average CIA agent is just sideshow bob because otherwise we'd be REALLY hosed.

you are really hosed

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

you are really hosed

yeah but i mean it would be literally mordor instead of just figuratively mordor.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm sure they produce fine graduates but is the tuition worth it? Or is it better to train from the ground up under an established chef?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

CaptainACAB posted:

yeah but i mean it would be literally mordor instead of just figuratively mordor.

just because your life doesn't resemble the dystopian fiction that the cia saturates us with doesn't mean you aren't just as hosed

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

just because your life doesn't resemble the dystopian fiction that the cia saturates us with doesn't mean you aren't just as hosed

oh we're plenty hosed its just that xi jinping has a real chance to drop the ring in mt doom to destroy the CIA forever so that's pretty tight. he might not succeed but gently caress it this is the closest weve ever come

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cloks posted:

how many CIA agents do you think Trump got killed, directly or indirectly?

Not enough.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Not enough to get him the heart attack gun treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lol just remembered the time Salvador Allende addressed the UN, saying that the CIA was trying to assassinate him at the behest of the Kodak corporation so they could get cheaper access to photo development chemicals and the UN members laughed out loud at Allende

Allende had the last laugh, however, because the CIA assassinated him after all