Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

When did Death to 2021 come out? Because I didn't see any ads for that at all.

Escobarbarian posted:

Me either but that’s probably Netflix noting that I disliked the last one. Poor Brooker he used to be SO good

San Junipero is still great. Kind of the last great thing he did IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm looking forward to:

Moon Knight

Holy gently caress I forgot about this! I can't wait!

Also looking forward to Avenue 5, Mythic Quest, Barry, and motherfuckin' Search Party

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched the Harry Potter 20th Reunion special... Looks like I'm in for another HP marathon!

Crazy to think those movies came out 20 years ago, and where I was in my life then and now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched the Harry Potter 20th Reunion special... Looks like I'm in for another HP marathon!

Crazy to think those movies came out 20 years ago, and where I was in my life then and now.

I would recommend the (completed) podcast The Shrieking Shack. Two lapsed fans do a reread of the series, as well as watch the movies. Although because they read 7 books and watch 10 movies it is a pretty long listen.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I should really watch those movies sometime.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Death to 2021 was very funny, though it seemed a more blatant ad for other Netflix shows like Seaspiracy, which I haven’t even heard of.

Im very curious about the Halo show, not that I expect it to be very good, but I really wanna see what they do with it. Ditto with the LotR show.

The thing I’m looking most forward to is probably Uzumaki.

Apparently there’s a loving Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy show coming to Hulu?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Apparently there’s a loving Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy show coming to Hulu?

:what:

Who is involved? Do I even want to know...?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Based on Douglas Adams’ classic sci-fi novel, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” comes from “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan” and “Lost” executive producer Carlton Cuse and “Wonder Woman” writer Jason Fuchs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
...:chloe:

Is it so much to ask to have a good, proven comedic voice adapt it

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I would recommend the (completed) podcast The Shrieking Shack. Two lapsed fans do a reread of the series, as well as watch the movies. Although because they read 7 books and watch 10 movies it is a pretty long listen.

I'll give that a look, thanks!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

What's everybody's most anticipated show of 2022? For short term I'm super excited for Peacemaker because Cena was the best part of The Suicide Squad while further in I'm really looking forward to Netflix's The Sandman.

Any way to get the Couch Chat 2021 thread added to the OP?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kinda hosed up we didn't get a new sealab

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaius Marius posted:

Kinda hosed up we didn't get a new sealab

It all went to crap after Hank Goz died.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I saw that they made another two seasons after that which is amazing cause I can't remember a single scene from a post Murphy world.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Harry Potter retrospective is one of the better corporate handjob promos. They are so proud of everything they accomplished. But the funniest thing is they make drat sure you know that JK Rowling was not involved during the making of the special so they only show old footage of her and plaster "ARCHIVAL" over it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I wonder how many cable system boxes are freaking out over the fact that Adult Swim is running Cowboy Bebop under the Japanese name. YouTube TV handles it fine, but I can't imagine all cable boxes can display Japanese characters.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bull3964 posted:

I wonder how many cable system boxes are freaking out over the fact that Adult Swim is running Cowboy Bebop under the Japanese name. YouTube TV handles it fine, but I can't imagine all cable boxes can display Japanese characters.

Are they ASCII only or something? It’d be really weird to not have them Unicode enabled like everything else in the world, and it’d probably be a lot easier to have cable boxes able to show any given language then install localization later in the pipeline.

Edit : I googled quick and I found multiple cable boxes that can display the god drat emoji set and other nonsense. I feel pretty confident the firmware can handle the national language of a country with well north of a million people that also are the people who made the show.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 2, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They're just usually bottom tier junk software.

Even if they can display the characters, it probably hosed with the formatting something fierce.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s possible I guess, but that would be a very silly thing. It’s an issue that got solved forever and a half ago and was an easy fix.

I’d be shocked if this was a problem, because Japanese people have TVs.

Wait, all of the cable boxes I can find are from countries that have to use the same Unicode package. Chinese/Japanese/Korean formatting is default on the ones I’m seeing, and English is the modification. It’d be super weird if this was a problem.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 2, 2022

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Why dost thou gnash and weep and scream 'crap?'

Gaius Marius posted:

I saw that they made another two seasons after that which is amazing cause I can't remember a single scene from a post Murphy world.
Seriously, nothing after Return to Oblivion even registers.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

This loving sucks. Impractical Jokers is really stupid but it's made me laugh at dark times when nothing else did. I hope this isn't the end of the show for good, but it would also be weird to continue with one of the core few members gone.

This sucks indeed. I've loved this show from the beginning. Glad it's not the result of any bad blood though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Money Heist actually good? I feel like the only people I see talking about it are people whose opinions I don’t necessarily trust

Watch the first two seasons, pretend there are none more.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Escobarbarian posted:

Me either but that’s probably Netflix noting that I disliked the last one. Poor Brooker he used to be SO good
Gameswipe got me into watching his stuff and Screenwipe was better than any other series he did (as much as people love Black Mirror) but I feel like if Brooker returned to Gameswipe it would put him back into the rhythm he needs to be in to, well, be great again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Gameswipe got me into watching his stuff and Screenwipe was better than any other series he did (as much as people love Black Mirror) but I feel like if Brooker returned to Gameswipe it would put him back into the rhythm he needs to be in to, well, be great again.

Agreed completely. I think I got into him because David Firth made cartoons for Screenwipe and I just fell in love with that show. I guess everyone becomes the establishment eventually, with what previously seemed fresh becoming rote, but it still sucks when it happens to someone like Brooker.

I wrote my entry for the 2021 poll and I’m linking to it here because I’m a narcissist and want people to see my efforts but also to remind everyone about the poll! I mean you have until the end of the month to do it and only until the 9th for the decade poll so that should be the priority but I really hope lots of people contribute to both!!!!!

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 2, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Flight Attendant S2

It must be so weird for Kaley Cuoco to star in tv shows that people actually likes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't checked out Flight Attendant but she's really good as the voice of Harley Quinn. I constantly forget that it's her doing it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I wasn't super impressed with Death to 2021, and I loved Death to 2020. Cristin Milioti was fantastic of course.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Alhazred posted:

It must be so weird for Kaley Cuoco to star in tv shows that people actually likes.
I'm just as discomfited, I assure you.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't checked out Flight Attendant but she's really good as the voice of Harley Quinn. I constantly forget that it's her doing it.
It's not quite as good as her performance as Harley, but then what is? Also Mamet is fantastic as LawyerShoshanna.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s possible I guess, but that would be a very silly thing. It’s an issue that got solved forever and a half ago and was an easy fix.

I’d be shocked if this was a problem, because Japanese people have TVs.

Wait, all of the cable boxes I can find are from countries that have to use the same Unicode package. Chinese/Japanese/Korean formatting is default on the ones I’m seeing, and English is the modification. It’d be super weird if this was a problem.

Most cable providers do not use the software that comes by default on the hardware. For example, Verizon's Interactive Media Guide started life as Microsoft's TV platform in 2005 and has undergone several major rewrites since. The only other language it supports as a guide option is Spanish. The software is only used in the US market so it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't take this into account.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medullah posted:

I wasn't super impressed with Death to 2021, and I loved Death to 2020. Cristin Milioti was fantastic of course.

Yeah something seemed kind of lacking this time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Yeah something seemed kind of lacking this time.

Part of it for me was that DT2020 had me in the state of mind of "Hahah yeah 2020 sucked, lets scratch that year off the books" and then 2021 I was like "gently caress me it's still going on and on and on"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm watching the Korean Dating show Single's Inferno and I don't understand the attraction to Jia, especially regarding the latest round of selections for dates. It seemed like one of the male protagonists had a great conversation with one of the other females that he even talked about it with other females but instead chose Jia instead.

Gonna keep watching though because I love this messy drama stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shows coming out early in the year I'm really looking forward to:

End of Station 11
Peacemaker
Servant S3
The Afterparty
Suspicion
Severance
The Dropout
WeCrashed
The Flight Attendant S2

Shows later in the year I'm looking forward to:

The Boys S3
Upload S2 (I think?)
LOTR
Mandalorian S3
The Time Traveler's Wife
What We Do in the Shadows S4

On a related note, we got a 99 cent one-month Showtime subscription just to watch Dexter, and... it's good!? So looking forward to finishing that, and also to watching Yellowjackets, which I'm really looking forward to.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

sorry but the servant is too weird

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Servant kicks rear end

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Upload was great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Speaking of Upload, when is the next season? It was renewed for a second season but no info on when it will come out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Speaking of Upload, when is the next season? It was renewed for a second season but no info on when it will come out.

No news on a release date. They were filming it a year ago, but I dunno if they shut down for covid or of the post production bottleneck affected it or what happened.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm also very much looking forward to season 2 of Russian Doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
2022 TV I'm looking forward to:

Attack on Titan
Search Party
Inventing Anna
The Last of Us
Derry Girls