Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You seem to be stuck in some sort of time loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

of all the posters to catch me ._.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Single Drunk Female starring Sofia Black-D'Elia premiered on Freeform last night. Anyone watch it or planning on checking it out?
I was planning to watch it, I loved The Mick.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

There was a really sweet interview with Louie Anderson at one point while he was working on his Hey Mom book. I thought it was with Craig Ferguson but the timing makes it look like it must have been Colbert. He loved the Christine Baskets role because it really let him work through a lot of feelings and grief toward his mother, and it really shows in the role.

I first watched Baskets because the Uh Yeah Dude podcast went on a rant about how Louie Anderson was pulling off such amazing character work on a show that hardly anyone was watching because they assumed it was just a dumb comedy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really need to start Baskets one of these days. I think I've just been kind of burnt out on Galifinakis so I've avoided it. And yeah I thought it looked like a dumb clown comedy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Inspector 34 posted:

I really need to start Baskets one of these days. I think I've just been kind of burnt out on Galifinakis so I've avoided it. And yeah I thought it looked like a dumb clown comedy.

His performance on the show is also really good. He does the exaggerated thing you’d expect with one of the brothers, but the main character is actually really empathetic and grounded. He’s just a loser who wanted to be a clown to make his mom laugh. The relationship between him and Louie Anderson’s character is really sweet.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's still one of the more bizarre and good shows that I've seen. Feels like it's a little more out there than Atlanta, cut from a similar cloth as something like Dave if I had to name something similar.

It's a deeply stupid show at times. It's a show that has regular dumb but kind of funny jokes, like him trying to order increasingly obscure sodas at a random drive-thru. Like Big Mean Jerk said, he has a brother who's basically an escaped Tim and Eric Galifinakis character. It has regular good jokes too though. And then it has scenes about feeling a brief moment of happiness as he reminisces about Paris while a translation tape narrates depressing lines in French about feeling alone and lost.

Good show. Weird as hell to recommend.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

You seem to be stuck in some sort of time loop.

He didn't include the fourth couple tho?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like Julia Garner, but some of her acting on Ozark this season is... very broad.

Edit: This shouting scene is so bad.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

It was my #1 show in the pole we just had! Baskets is a really good show with a lot more depth than you would expect. It’s perfect if you ever experienced a lack direction in your life.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Louie Anderson's performance in Baskets is so, so great. When it was first announced it seemed like it was just gimmick casting for ratings attention but he's so effective in the role you forget all about it. To Galifianakis's credit, he recognized that as well and Louie goes from a supporting character in the first season to pretty much the main character in the last season.

The show is generally funny and odd enough to be worth a watch but Louie in it makes it a must see. Martha Kelly is delightful as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Life with Louie was far superior to Bobby's World.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

Sabrina fell on hard times huh

Feels about right.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a weirdly unfunny show. The jokes that happen aren't that great, mostly, but there also aren't very many of them -- it's more of a twenty minute drama than a comedy.

I liked it, but it's not what I expected. Also the mother is, low key, a huge arsehole.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Granted, I know nothing of Louie Anderson, but his performance in Baskets is phenomenal. I genuinely forget that it's not actually a female playing the role.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a weirdly unfunny show. The jokes that happen aren't that great, mostly, but there also aren't very many of them -- it's more of a twenty minute drama than a comedy.

I liked it, but it's not what I expected. Also the mother is, low key, a huge arsehole.

Yeah I’m watching it right now and I’m not sure how I feel. It’s well enough done for me to watch a couple of more episodes but I’m not entirely sure what it’s going for or if I’m feeling it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don’t even know that it’s low key. That monologue she gave at the end of the pilot was so lovely. I really enjoy that whole side of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's low key in comparison to the sponsor lady's wife -- she was displaying some seriously obnoxious narcissism in the second episode. Are the two of them only together because the sex is so good?

The show's got an odd dynamic. Everyone's so flinty with Samantha except two characters, the best friend and the love interest -- and both of them have little warning lights flashing above their heads indicating that they could be bad news. However, at the same time, Samantha is a total trainwreck, so you completely understand why everyone else is pissed off with her, setting firm boundaries, or telling her to just find a way to deal with her poo poo.

The show plays her comedy hijinks for real world consequences, which means you can't really indulge in the silly, wacky outlandish side of things. Every time she goes big with something, I feel like I'm meant to be worried, disappointed, or in some other way set against her actions. (As opposed to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, where there was enough fantasy elements and a lack of consequence that everything rubberbanded back to neutral fairly nicely -- that, and the cast was full of lovable airheads instead of rightfully annoyed scolds.) Plus there's that sobriety counter that pops up over the top of every fourth or fifth scene, which makes things feel exhausting as hell.

Obviously this is all purposeful, and meant to resemble the effect of scraping yourself up from rock bottom, and I don't mind any of this. But it's enervating -- makes me glad this show only has twenty minute episodes.

(Oh, and I really like how Black-D'elia's accent goes all sloppy thick when she plays drunk scenes. Nice touch.)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
S3 of Servant started last night and after 2 full seasons I still have no idea what the hell is going on :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

S3 of Servant started last night and after 2 full seasons I still have no idea what the hell is going on :v:

I laughed really hard at the show faking out that we'd ever get more than five metres down that street.

No, gently caress you, the show stays bound to the house, the back garden, and the length of the street immediately outside that's house exactly equal to the width of the house. That's it. If you try to go any further a creepy man will punt you back into the designated play area faster than you can say "waist high wall".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Appreciate the feedback on Ozark. Sounds like it goes back on my list for another try, but pretty low priority.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Khanstant posted:

Somebody here the other day made some weird comments about Atlanta having too many straight men or something whatever their comment was made no sense to me but I also couldn't articulate why, so I went back and watched it again. Or some of it first time maybe, I really spaced out first watch it seems.

I think they meant straight-men, as in characters whose seriousness highlights the joke they’re in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think he knew that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What is the thread title quoting?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

What is the thread title quoting?

Old rear end episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

muscles like this! posted:

Old rear end Episode of AQUA Teen Hun-ger Force

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I watched the pilot of Single Drunk Female. I like the main actress, but otherwise it's absolutely dire and awful. Too bad.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

John Cena is a genius level comedic actor lmao drat brother

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What thing that requires far too much time investment should I embark on next, Downton Abbey or Gilmore Girls?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Data Graham posted:

What thing that requires far too much time investment should I embark on next, Downton Abbey or Gilmore Girls?

Downton Abbey is pretty good.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

As a Gilmore Girls liker, I think that Downton is the far superior show

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Mrs Maisel instead of Gilmore Girls

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watch anything instead of Gilmore Girls.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gilmore Girls is still probably my all time favorite show. If you don’t vibe with the dialog after an episode or two, then bail. Tons of ‘before they were famous’ people in guest roles, Melissa McCarthy knocking it out the park every episode before she got typecasted into slob roles, Kelly Bishop and Edward Herrman as just the most infuriating TV parents ever in the best possible way, Lauren Graham just being utterly wonderful from the first scene on.

And, of course, Kirk.

To me, Downton Abbey just looked like typical ITV drama trash, if anyone ever wanted my secrets then force me to watch a box set of that I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Watch Mrs Maisel instead of anything.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Data Graham posted:

The first season, maybe first two, of Downton Abbey is/are super engrossing, but I found it had rapidly diminishing returns as it went on and I don't think I ever bothered to watch the last season.

One of the latter seasons did have a completely ridiculous bit of totally forced historical relationship drama that I love for how shoehorned in it is. One of the daughters finally finds a man who's the perfect fit for her, so naturally the show has to have them get broken up. So there's a bit where right before their wedding, he tells her "I have to just make a quick business trip to Munich," and then we find out he was killed off-screen by young Hitler after getting into a fight with him at a bar.

It is kind of funny to think back a decade to when Downton Abbey was THE show to be watching, and how many copycats there were of it which then completely fizzled. It's funny to think that Mr Selfridge of all things was maybe the most successful Downton Abbey spinoff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EL BROMANCE posted:

Gilmore Girls is still probably my all time favorite show. If you don’t vibe with the dialog after an episode or two, then bail. Tons of ‘before they were famous’ people in guest roles, Melissa McCarthy knocking it out the park every episode before she got typecasted into slob roles, Kelly Bishop and Edward Herrman as just the most infuriating TV parents ever in the best possible way, Lauren Graham just being utterly wonderful from the first scene on.

And, of course, Kirk.

To me, Downton Abbey just looked like typical ITV drama trash, if anyone ever wanted my secrets then force me to watch a box set of that I guess.

It was pretty good until Logan Huntzberger and his lovely friends became the center of her life. He's even important in the Netflix revival.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He’s pretty toxic and I think s6/7 without ASP tried to cover up his effects, so I kinda liked when she returned for the revival and went all in on Rory having become kind of a lovely person.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

I never saw Gilmore Girls but it has to be better than Downton. If you do watch Downton I recommend checking out after the post-s2 Christmas special.

I guess it depends which do you want, whip-smart too-cute-by-half dialogue (I like most of the clips I’ve seen, but I’m easily impressed by that poo poo) with family connection and teen romance stuff, or extremely pretty nobility-and-servants stuff that the creator not-so-secretly actually thinks of as the Good Old Days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gilmore Girls aged much better than West Wing. Very similar dialogue style and both come from the same era.