Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

what does it feel like to feel like a man? same for woman? and how are they different?

Welcome to queer theory in a nutshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Sid Vicious posted:

i also consider myself nonbinary, i wear whatever i want, i wear makeup when i want to, i look drat good in a dress and boots, but i have a big beard and people have told me to my face since i have facial hair i present strictly as male and shouldnt use the nonbinary descriptor and usually i just tell em to gently caress off but i would love to hear goons opinions, because im not sure if theyre right?

Just wanna say gently caress whoever said that, non-binary can look like anything. It's also infuriating when people do this bc is just reinforces the idea that enby is just women-lite, skinny white afab androgynes only need apply.

I post in a few enby spaces and they go out of their way to welcome our masc enbies and highlight them to try and counteract this, stuff like AMAB Mondays

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 31, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I feel like what this thread needs in an injection of actual queer theory, because we have a lot of people thinking they're presenting some bold new takes who don't realize there's a whole other deep end of the pool.

I took a few pictures of some pages from Queer: A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker and Jules Scheele. Sorry they're a bit crooked, it's hard to take good pictures of comic pages while also holding the book open :/

Page 16 - I share this one because I think this might surprise some people and is a good basic intro:

Pages 27-31 continue on the above theme - a bit of context, just before these pages we were presented with the history of sex research and sexology (Kinsey scale, etc), which ended up shaping our perceptions both of gender and sexual intimacy:

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 1, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Fiddler on the Reef posted:

I'm not saying anyone's being inauthentic, just as I wouldn't accuse a deeply religious person of being inauthentic. I just take issue with the inherent implication that people who don't id as NB necessarily id as either a male or female gender (both of which cannot be concretely defined outside sexism). Like I don't think gender identity is actually a thing for the vast majority of people. The characterization of it as some unconscious state that exists in everyone, is definitely there, but can only be detected when it causes someone distress seems to be pure mysticism.

We're not gonna get anywhere here since we're coming at this from two completely different axiomatic frameworks (you believe in an innate and universal gender identity, while I do not)...

uh, ok. there's tons of research by people much smarter than you on how gender is a thing that, like, exists socially across various cultures. there's also people from different places who have put a lot of effort into discussing how gender varies for their culture. gender is a role and is perspective- and society-based. it exists for sure, but if your body and gender fit it often goes unnoticed. also if you're not taught any critical thinking skills about gender.

this is like not believing in viral methodology bc you can't see them with your eyeballs or touch them with your fingers, but we do live in TYOOL2022 during a COVID epidemic so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised

(actually it's just your usual blindness of privilege from not experiencing a thing being mistaken for a thing not existing but yeeeeah)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 4, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'look i'm not saying you're being inauthentic, i'm just saying money doesn't actually exist' is pretty much the same argument and like yeah sure at it's core it doesn't sure i guess but also we're all intensely socially bound by it so try arguing to a poor person that money doesn't exist/matter and see how far you get

queer theory is essentially both recognizing that gender exists but also that it can be broken, destroyed, or even done away with. so if your position is gender shouldn't exist, well yeah then sure that would be great and is a discussion many folks are having. but it's a conversation being had because it does exist, as sure as the day is long, and it matters very much to many people.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 4, 2022