Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

I look forward to the inevitable Nutcracker DLC pitting Kislev against the Skaven.

be still my beating heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

GolfHole posted:

Why do the cutscenes look straight out of 2002's Warcraft III.

Is this a weird graphics setting... or a design choice.

design choice. They went for more cartoony over realism.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Ogre events:

The Butchers discover ketchup. Do you roll with it, or do you tell them to miss you with that nasty vegetable poo poo?
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sv0c81/the_man_who_came_up_with_the_ogre_events_needs_a/

Skrag eats My Little Pony
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/suubft/skrag_encounters_odly_colored_horses_sorry_shitty/

Ugh. Disgusting ketchup. Now if it was mustard...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

I did the prologue on my laptop, a GS66 stealth, and it worked fine. It has the issue where alt-tabbing instantly closes the game there though.

My older desktop has a 1050 Ti, and it worked fine on the medium settings it defaulted to. Skarbrand turned grey on the campaign map during the AI turns. I could alt-tab here.

Large unit size is what the game is balanced around, right?

according to the youtubers that have tested it, all unit sizes appear to be balanced with respect to SEM HP and spells. Though multiplayer is probably going to be near-exclusively ultra, so if there is a difference that will be the preference/benchmark.

Kairos Fateweaver found out how I like to eat my chicken wings and now he's stealing my cities.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ethiser posted:

So with Kairos is it kind of a trap to expand into Cathay too fast? I went in and took out Miao Ying because she only had her original settlement, but most of the stuff around is yellow or red terrain so I’m worried I’m going to ruin my economy or at least take forever to get higher tier buildings. Also boy is this Tzeentch replenishment bad. I never want to autoresolve because it takes way to long to get back to full strength.

I believe Kairos himself gets a skill that raises it by 6%. Which is just amazing.

On higher difficulties expect to fight almost every fight, including against small trash armies, manually. Unless you know your army won't be fighting for a while or its a garrison that isn't about to be hit again soon. It's better for the human factions because they get better replenishment but this is the name of the game now.

If you want to you could use the unlimited winds exploit (not uncommon since many people will do it accidentally, especially with Kairos/Tzeentch) to take out the trash armies that aren't worth a ton of you time but that is up to you.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

All that said you may be truly bugged which stinks but the process seems dramatically smoother this time around, like I'm playing a variant of Empire. I've just been doing well and picking up districts of my homeland like they're electors.

So far it seems like confederating Zhao is nigh-on impossible if it is possible at all. Not saying you won't find a way, just saying that it seems to be a well a lot of people are tossing their resources down with no luck.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is the key problem with the campaign imo

There also isn't any reward for a getting a soul. If you get 4 souls the AI can still get 4 and then gates open everywhere which then lets undivided armies flood through. Some of the realms are bullshit and, with Tzeentch's realm in particular, the AI can beat you a good percentage of the time just by happenstance. Also Belakor is not a great reward. He seems like he was tacked on when there should be some unique reward for some of the factions. I guess the real "reward" after the Forge of Souls fight is supposed to not have chaos gates open all the time so you can paint the map.

It just isn't fun, imo.

domination victory is actually a superior method of trying to win in a lot of ways because if you are losing the race to the souls, you have to go kill whoever is beating you. This makes you go wide, which can suck, but if you have portal closers at the ready, know they're coming up and where then you can close them before anything gets through. This might seem tedious to a lot of people and I agree.

plus the bugs. Oh god the bugs. It's clear there wasn't a lot of play-testing if they missed the infini-casting and also the supply lines bugs. Also the Forge of Souls fight can be cheesed, which isn't a bug but come on.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXF1l3dDfn8

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
with multiplayer I am of two minds. It's really fun but right now mass is an incredibly powerful stat and overtuned, while knockdownability of infantry is a massive penalty to their use and hugely undertuned. They probably did it to increase the power of monstrous infantry, cav and the usefulness of magic but it has thrown the balance way out of proportion. I thought magic was in a good place for multiplayer in TWW2 but needed to be tuned to the new winds system. They could have made certain spells have a greater or smaller chance of knockdown, which would have been a cool reason to use besides direct damage.

Grumio posted:

I wouldn't mind if there were only four souls and possessing them conferred strong bonuses. Then if you and/or your allies hold all four souls you can progress to the final battle. If someone else holds a soul you could use the rifts to travel to them and take it off then by defeating them in battle. It would give some incentive to travel using the rifts because as is you need to be hitting a realm of chaos almost every cycle if you want to win

These would be good changes. I thought some sort of contest to dislodge/steal the soul if someone else gets it, depending on how difficult it would be to implement, in addition to buffs for possession, but your ideas seem better. That, in addition to flattening them.

I understand why they made it this way- it's so the player basically HAS to engage with the Realms of Chaos and they can't just run in on a first attempt, get the Soul and the AI has no chance of coming back. Also if the player is behind they still have a chance. The way it was implemented is just sucky. Maybe they could increase bias against any faction with a soul even more unless they are allies. It'd mean yet more anti-player bias but everyone coming after you all at once would be a good motivator to get the final fight done.

Another reason I prefer to focus on domination victory rather than the official condition. Slaanesh realm is worth it but the others... not-so-much (maybe Khorne). I'd just rather close the gates unless I get something that buffs me so instead I pound on my neighbors while they scurry.

Sieges. Woof.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

I also managed to enjoy Cyberpunk on release and hard bounced of The Witcher who knows what the hell is even going on!

*gamer head shake*

people are entitled to discuss the game how they want to whatever extent is allowed by the rules about the game TWW3 in the TWW3 thread. Eventually things will smooth out and in two quarters the thread will be entirely modchat and the technicals.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kazzah posted:

Is a war-wagon a technical?

you bet your boots

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

dogstile posted:

I braved the forums to try and find it but i couldn't get past the "CATHAY IS SO OUT OF PLACE, JARRING AND IMMERSION BREAKING." post.

Holy poo poo. I guess Vampires, Demons and Magic were fine, but fantasy Asia? Holy poo poo. Broken game.

yea I remember reading epic fights about how elves had to have the strongest infantry (because they were so experienced and also elves, you see) with comparable model counts to humans, but also the strongest cavalry for the same reason. Like, their spearmen should be able to take out tier-III infantry easily. Their archers should be equally powerful. Their casters need all spells and lores of magic combined into their wizards but Teclic and Alarielle at the very least.

and it was like whatttt

Alctel posted:

Is the supply line big that big of a deal? How many of you are constantly hiring/firing lords anyway?

I finished the game without even noticing it

Now I know about it it's a bit annoying during confederation but it's just a matter of sending the new ones off to die

It does make a huge difference on Legendary and confederation absolutely can hurt you bad. You can send them off to die, which works, but in the meantime you get huge punishment and it can cost you hard.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

I will plague this thread every few turns

Too bad plagues are woefully underpowered

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
People are allowed to complain about things they don't like or find unfun. People are allowed to disagree with those complaints.

Playing on legendary does not make you a bad person.
Cheesing anything does not make you a bad person.

Doing these things and then complaining about it is a huge red flag. Anyone who then complains about the game could do a few things here like walk away or change how the game is played with available settings. He does not.

This is followed by his sense of entitlement from what he expects his relation is with CA. It exists only in his mind and is entirely one sided. Like a dangerous boyfriend who is expecting more than he should out of a relationship that isn't real.

He is broken brained.

This is an insane way to think about a streamer/video maker you do not even have to watch.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lol that video, I'm glad nobody films my cranky tantrums. He's really upset

I guess it must be annoying if CA made out that they'd listen to feedback before the game came out but that really isn't how AAA game dev works, you release what you can and then fix it later

It's not just LegendofTotalWar, he is just the most vocal and whiny about it. Other content creators warned CA that there were a ton of bugs, that it was clear that it hadn't been playtested enough, that some of the mechanics were unfun/punishing for no reason and that some changes they made (especially to mass and knockdownability of infantry) were outright bad or broken in the other direction.

People who bought the game stopped playing really quickly comparable to the last few titles.

It doesn't mean people won't come back or the game will be foreverbad. But it's something that was pretty obvious to those closest to the game.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like cavalry despite it being SuBoPtImAl but holy poo poo does it suck during sieges and settlements. There's no room to maneouver and you get stuck on everything

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah this is a really good point. I was excited for the QoL fixes but there are still poor design decisions all over the place and I've played enough TW, tolerating dumb poo poo the whole time because CA is glacially slow at addressing some issues, that I have a really low tolerance for the same poo poo still being either broken, tedious, or obnoxious. TWWH2 could get a lot fixed with mods and I'm hoping 3 can do the same, but its insane to me that the minor settlement battles got released as is, because they overcomplicate things to a massive degree and are not fun at all. I know some people enjoy them but even people I saw saying that they were a nice change of pace are now starting to say "yeah gently caress this".

cav isn't necessarily suboptimal (besides in sieges) with the mass and infantry knockdownability changes in TWWH3. I worry how weak infantry-heavy factions are and are going to be once the older factions are added back in. Even the dwarves, with their mass increase from late in the TWWH2 cycle, are going to be decimated by monstrous infantry/cav and spells that do heavy knockdown. Ogres are OP right now both in single player and multiplayer, nevermind that they also get a few powerful doomstacks.

sieges, however... I kinda called it before the game was released that minor settlement sieges looked novel because they were new, but due to changes with autoresolve (meaning you have to fight basically every siege battle even against a crappy army) and the way they changed sieges, it would become even more tedious than it already was. I didn't call troops getting stuck on everything, nor having walls actually being a negative (because it requires you to defend two points instead of just one and if you lose one, you lose), which made it even worse. You'd think they'd have seen this stuff in testing.

There are some obvious quality of life changes or add-ons (like saving control groups or skill respec) that are no-brainers that STILL haven't been added. I'm not desperate for them because I can live without control groups and can plan out where I want my skill points allocated but it's not like they're difficult. AI changes are probably the most difficult thing to do. Not every game can have Doom Eternal's AI team and their amazing difficulty changes.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 21, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Another issue with sieges is that there are so many more minor settlement battles now due to autoresolve and so many settlements. Fewer field battles, too. Unrelated- but troops respond much more slowly to commands now so it really drags. I thought the fps was low at first but no, it's a new feature.

Doomykins posted:

I keep hearing this "walls make your settlement" weaker point but I've never seen it myself. There are several siege maps, walled or unwalled, where I can use a smaller force to hold 1 of up to 5 points and pull off a victory. The AI separates to take the other points from 2-3 angles, which is smart for a player or an AI, but I maximize my stalling at the one point to guarantee my towers won't go down and can shoot the enemy for the longest period of time.

Holding more points would let me have more towers up simultaneously... if I could guarantee I could hold those points in the time it takes to get the supplies and then to spend time constructing them plus the time it takes them to put out meaningful damage. So I just hold the one if the going is tough.

I've also not seen any map where "you lose one, you lose", even major cities where I cap their central point early. Meaningful buffs/debuffs, sure, but it takes a significant amount of effort to get the WH2 style "cap this point and sit on it and win the game in 2 minutes" scenario. Virtually every siege battle I'm in fights to traditional army losses and point control dictates how many towers are shooting me or them, as well as the Momentum buff for attackers.

It doesn't make the settlement weaker per se. The issue with walls in minor settlements is multi-pronged:

In order to win the player has to hold two points in a walled siege battle instead of one. This divides the player's forces and attention. Walled minor settlements often have a worse layout than those without walls. Without walls, the player can choose any one of the points to hold and pick the most defensible one.

The layout matters especially because walls are not good to fight on. Docked archers perform worse than those that are not. Firing at the enemy from walls and towers as they do a standard assault means that damage is divided between multiple enemy units. Concentrating fire on one or a few bunched up enemy units (such as those in a choke) is far superior to that.

This is because of the way leadership works. A unit taking fire and a lot of damage simultaneously causes a serious leadership debuff which then leads to wavering and running. This buys time to concentrate fire on another approaching unit OR deal even more damage to the running unit, which means they may not return and, if they have shields, means they are not blocking fire so even more damage.

In a minor settlement battle without walls, the player can more easily funnel the enemy into chokes and rain fire down on them. This also means that siege units the player has will have an easier time hitting enemy units if they are all in a line or two, perhaps even bunched up, moving toward the player's defensive position instead of spread out like if player sets up on the walls.

Walls confer a good autoresolve bonus so the enemy will siege a settlement for a several turns while draining the garrison of health. This is both realistic and somewhat helpful because it gives time for a relief army to get there and break the siege. BUT on higher difficulties, and especially with the supply lines bug, even a new lord is hugely expensive. It's even worse with the low-income factions like Nurgle. Trekking from the front to break a siege takes time. You can expect your newly-expanded borders to always be under attack but with anti-player bias, underway, beast path and Chaos Gates (unless you are on top of it with your gate-closers) even stuff in the middle of your empire can come under an annoying siege.

Without walls, even if the autoresolve gives you low odds, you have a decent chance of winning if you're skillful and/or cheesing it (which is a bit harder to do in TWWH3). Since towers can now be set up and used without them, there isn't even a need for walls to be occupied.

Lord Packinham posted:

Got to remember not to buy these games in early access, wait for the launch if you don’t want it to be so unfinished.

putting the onus on the consumer rather than the business to deliver the finished product that they promised is silly, especially when stuff is bundled specifically with pre-orders to make it cheaper in the future. Caveat emptor being the standard in America, but not everyone can know everything they need to know to make sound, rational and intelligent decisions about purchases or services.

Cranappleberry fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 21, 2022

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Staltran posted:

Leaving a few units on the walls at maximum width (which is 1 model deep on walls, I think) and pulling them back once the enemies are about to reach the walls works quite well, yes. But you still have the problem of needing to hold two specific points, rather than one of your choice. And one or both of those is sometimes not very defensible, whether due to the enemy having a lot of directions to attack it from, no towers, poorly placed towers that are obstructed most of the time, etc.

Yes.

There are things they could do to improve sieges by making it vastly harder and costly to assault the walls without siege units or equipment. Then, perhaps, even the player might consider starving out the enemy instead of risking a siege. Or take the time to build equipment or have a hero attempt to breach the walls. This, however, would also slow down the pace of the game immensely and lead to less battles being fought overall.

I'm not advocating for that, just saying that they could have big beautiful sexy walls that are hard to breach with machicolations and portholes through which to dump oil or gas or small explosives. Maybe certain factions could have tunneling units.

jokes posted:

I fight less field battles since the AI just bails when they’re not able to absolutely crush my dudes. Launching without any mod support is my biggest issue. TWWH1 launched with a few mods made by CA, like the “resettle anywhere” mod.

This is part of it, along with the other stuff I mentioned. You can use movement bugs to catch them. I think there are two. Also, Kislev doesn't have a hero with block movement or increase movement range.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The issue with walls is not that the AI will siege, deplete your garrison, which gives the player time to come with a relief army if they wish. The issue is that the AI can be flagrant about it in your core cities while it actually speeds up the pace of the game and confers the player several advantages over the AI to fight with just a garrison vs fighting with walls. Even if the player is outnumbered.

adding more and better troops doesn't necessarily matter because the AI is going to either be sieging you with a much stronger army due to the advantage the walls confer in autoresolve or depleting your garrison.

Again, archers on walls perform worse than archers off of walls. There are more choke points on minor settlements without walls, which allows for focus-fire from ranged units and artillery which is superior to damage distribution, even compared to focus-fire that can be gotten from walls. Also, defending one point instead of two. Also, potentially causing the enemy to divide their forces allowing for some to be killed off or focused while still bunched because the AI's advanced is not simultaneous and their forces go through choke points.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This might be interesting if it was done as a deliberate design decision. Right now it just seems like the game is broke, though.

And like other people I'm getting fed up with orders not being "sticky" in that if you give a unit an order, if the wind blows or a stray arrow catches a model in the unit, it just stops.

it doesn't feel like a coherent design philosophy to me. Also infantry mass is crap.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

I have asked these question a lot, but do people not sally out when under siege with the garrison for a field fight or put units in front of walls so archers and towers can shoot down on the attacker?

if you sally out you lose any advantage walls purport to give you except extra/stronger units (which might be good for your play style).You lose towers and you lose choke points. The AI tends to have a much stronger army sieging you when you have walls. On the other hand, if you can win and it's more fun for you, then go for it.

Putting units outside the walls probably helps to increase focus-fire a bit. I prefer choke points, but that's obvious by now.

I'm not saying TWWH2 defensive sieges were better, but they were shorter on defense and there seemed to be less of them in the core regions/provinces (if you prepared for vortex rituals properly, anyway). Walls were more useful and worth building, imo. To me, CA seem to have gone an adjacent route except units get stuck or bump stuff way too much + pathfinding is worse and there are more of them (in my experience).

If people enjoy them then that's okay, too.

Dramicus posted:

LOL

So Legend has soft-endorsed the Total War union idea. And the total war reddit has banned discussion of the union.

Warning: Video from Volound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tym5DKVLA4k

As much as I love Legend, I hope he loses his mind and goes down this rabbit hole because it would be entertaining as gently caress.

lol. I hope he starts pro-union rants and Turin tries to unite the TW youtubers and their union eventually joins an alliance of mid-seized youtuber unions (gently caress the celebrities, giant-sized and RIAA/VIAA channels. Also gently caress those scam companies that take a cut of the income but provide no real support to channels).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

strikes are loving garbage man i use an all work slowdown stack and focus collective bargaining because hello it's the only way to keep the bank account replenishing during a siege

As far as any real union is concerned, I don't think the TW content creators have a leg to stand on legally speaking. They aren't employees or even contractors for CA. They are critics/reviewers and unassociated, unlicensed advertisers using CA's copyrighted and trademarked content. They have no right to use that content to make money outside of Fair Use, and streaming/Let's Plays do not fall under that. Companies allow people to do it because it's free advertising that leads to more sales and because the backlash can be pretty bad.

Nintendo has cracked down hard on emulation among content creators and various professional leagues and it didn't bite them too badly. They did try to crack down on content creators if I recall and that didn't go well but any company could easily do it and hire a copyright troll 3rd party to eliminate any material they didn't want and that includes stuff under Fair Use despite it being legal because youtube and twitch do not care at all about mid-level creators despite them being the workhorses of the platforms.

If the content creators got together and then all or most of the popular ones agreed to not accept pre-releases unless they are allowed to give their reviews and critiques earlier it might work but that's not really a union. It could hurt the CA because they'd lose out on a lot of free advertising before the game came out which could hurt sales. On the other hand, if the reviews and critiques are largely negative, it could also hurt sales.

Any real unionization would have to be mid-sized creators vs google/youtube or twitch, as they are arguably contractors for those platforms and do a ton of work bringing in views and ad revenue for at best, decent compensation (which isn't really that great when you consider the amount of effort expended for the return and the fact that in the US they get smashed with taxes and have to purchase their own insurance). Both unionization and pressure on game companies should definitely happen but there has been talk for a long time and not much has resulted from it.

Precambrian posted:

I think Legend doesn't do himself favors in how he presents things, combining all these issues into singular rulings on what unit's good and what's "useless," but the man's an entertainer, not writing a book on strategy. But there's issues with TW:W in game design, and there's issues with whether or not players enjoy high-tempo gameplay, and they're very much not one and the same.

he's also big on "play the game however you enjoy it." And I am a supporter of that notion.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah I feel like there should be a middle ground for anti-player bias that doesn't include the AI dropping everything it is doing to send a army halfway across the world to besiege your weakest settlement, most often losing it's empire to a neighbor in the process because it's undefended.

So what you are saying is that the AI needs to be buffed enough such that they can all constantly send stacks your way while also being able to defend and, perhaps, expand their own borders (if it's a major civ). Good thinking!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Twigand Berries posted:

My bear mounted Lord and bear mounted heroes and bear sleds mixed with bear cavalry stack is the faction I think needs the most looked at, but it’ll get there. They’ll all get there. Let’s not forget CA’s DLC team made skaven into what they are now from a pretty garbage starting roster.

I see games like civilization and AOE4 with certain civs like India and they have elephant units. But they have one, maybe a few. I want 10 elephant units at least. I want elephant improvements, elephant technologies, elephant buildings, elephant everything.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Out of curiosity I looked at the player stats for this. Yesterday there were more people playing WH2 than 3 and there weren't that many people playing WH2. They've been about equal for the last week. That seems bad.

Elden Ring and other launches but mostly Elden Ring definitely hurt. That plus the buggy launch, the fact that troops are slower to react and with some of the more tedious/unfun mechanics (imo) probably turned a lot of players off. This is hurting my expectation for a lot of DLCs in the future but maybe most dedicated players are waiting for the immortal empires or the first dlc.

Idk how multiplayer youtubers/streamers are doing but watching domination matches is tedious. I played a few and didn't like them. So...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I bet they take Fat Bear Week really seriously in Kislev. Probably a national holiday.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Every AI playing like Legend

Against an AI with the same resource cheats as current AI on the campaign map and the same abilities as an AI on the battle map? I say it's possible but would be much more of a slog.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I dislike phrasing like this. Some people actually enjoy minmaxing. Some people like smashing their toys together, ratling go *brrrrrrrrrrr*

Both are fine. Both are fun.

this is correct.

I love breaking games but when I replay FFT, I don't ever take it to the extreme of maxing any stats or even grinding up speed, not because it removes all challenge, but because the yield isn't worth it, imo.

You don't even need to de-level to be able to take on the hardest fights if you understand how the CT works and show up with the right class, with the right levels and abilities in other classes. If you want to remove all challenge, though, you can just use save states or you can mindlessly grind up whatever stats you want or just use Arithmancy provided you understand the underlying mechanics.

Same with FF8. I'll grind cards to the point of having Flare for every character early on (at least one going into the SEED exam), being ready to upgrade to final weapons early on and have holy when it becomes available. But why do it for meteor when I can use other mechanics and draw it really fast? Same for Ultima. Also screw trying to max out Luck or go for a "perfect" game.

If people want to do that, they can, but it's not for me. It's all about player preference.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I was born into a long line of Princes, renowned commanders all! I studied at the Diesdorf Military College! Where did you study, some shack a hedge witch called a "school"?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*gets defeated by a 10 stack of basic archers at Agincourt*

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I really wanted to like wh3, but the unit responsiveness problem was far too frustrating. It felt like orders were mere suggestions and more often or not, units would stand around doing nothing or even worse, expose their backs.

yeah, this is absolutely brutal. It's one design choice among several, like sieges and autoresolve issues, that I just cannot understand. I'm not saying this is what happened but it's like someone was there pointing out how to make the game slower, more tedious and less fun.

and, before anyone says anything, if a full garrison can't stand up to a five stack of crap without being wiped and losing the settlement, that is a stupid design choice. It's not about painting the map for me and never has been. Forcing so many boring, tedious siege battles is redundant and slow. Not everyone has the time to fight every single battle, waiting for the load screens on each end, on maps (another design choice) that make no loving sense.

A key metric they SHOULD be paying attention to is how many dedicated streamers are moving on to other content.

That said, land battle supremacy in multiplayer. Domination battles... woof.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Most ranged outside of guns or magical bows really shouldn't have ap damage at all. Even crossbows can't really penetrate plate (though they leave some dents and maybe holes) and their arc of fire is ridiculous. My guess is the arc of fire on crossbows and the bit of AP damage they give is so it looks worth it to upgrade.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Arghy posted:

Give missile balance over to the historical nerds and just accept what comes out.

paging Shad, Skallagrim, Metatron and that German guy who makes crossbows (awesome)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The crazy part is the lore says that Thanquol isn't even a skaven. He's halfling in a skaven suit.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I really hate the new sieges lol. What if sieges but they take even longer and are weird to manage.

yeah.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, making it easier for TK to get access to their actual good units earlier would be nice. As it stands, you're stuck fielding loving poo poo-tier skeletons for ages. It's a similar situation to the Vampire Counts, except in the case of the bloodsuckers they can just cause a shitload of casualties and then farm good units off of that for ages; TKs have no such luxury. Settra is going to have a hard time snowballing if he's spamming skeletons against, like, black orcs, bloodletters, and shitloads of fire damage.

it's a campaign with a slow start because you have to wait for your second lord and better units but the mechanics are interesting. The top-tier melee infantry is good on Settra, due to limited recruitment there is no doom-stacking (for those that dislike it) except for tomb scorpions on the tomb-scorpion trait lord(s) but it doesn't matter anyway because you can afford to lose stacks of skeletons because the tomb kings have free recruitment and great global recruitment slots when they are built up.

I know people might not want to play this way but it almost seems like they were designed to be cheesed in order to play them well at a high difficulty. Def use sack cities for leveling/money, build buildings to increase recruit rank for lords to pump canopic jar production per turn then dismiss them, go for heroes with specific traits like tomb princes with the chariot ability then stick them on chariots for infantry killing, necrotects with sphinx carver ability for more war sphinxes and liche priests with knowledgeable for more winds. Also, while you're sacking for levels and money, you can farm Repanse's legendary lord defeat trait for more research bonus to counteract declining research rate.

Since you are limited to the one lord at first it also means you may have to be defensive and/or tricky by hiding in the sand to lure out enemy stacks who think they have an easy path to a city they can attack.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Total War Warhammer 2.5: Re-Rise of The Tomb Kings: Resurrection

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Be sure to pre-rise your Tomb Kings before putting them out in the Nehekaran sun to bake.

they only eat unleavened bread and whatever goes with that (sand)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
more like Legend of Total Bore

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Carcer posted:

Turin's the best in my opinion, he strikes a very careful balance between bieng very competent at the game, very good at explaining why he's doing something and bieng a memelord (in a good way) that no other TW personality does.

he is the john madden of total war and also other RTSes

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Who's Wayne Gretzky

there are rankings on a meta ladder but I don't know the link. The top players can all get wins over one another- a lot has to do with the builds chosen because someone might bring a build totally countered by their opponent.

Someone might disagree but imo it's Felkon.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Food was really easy to come by? Could repeatedly sack a city and get tons.

raiding stance generally sucks because it's not worth the return of less movement and vigor, even if you get a bit of money (because you can't deprive the AI of enough resources to do damage). Unless it keeps you from going below 0 monies.

foods gonna be even easier to get now. Canopic jars on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
also confederations are incredibly difficult in WH3 right now to the point of not being worth it. Like, nigh-on impossible no matter how weak they get because you can't do bribery for it. I get that mods solve this but it's not like it was easy before, especially when certain LL could die out and not be brought back through any means.

I like being able to confederate and obtain LL even though many aren't worth putting in charge of an army just because I like to collect them. It's also a fun balancing act. Do I accept and possibly encounter a bunch of factions I don't want to meet yet? Do I hang onto their territory or is it not worth it? If they own a bunch of stuff it could force me to defend larger borders from more enemies, take a huge economic hit to do so on top of the public order bonus.