Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

SLAMBO is a chaos warrior not a demon prince, I can't believe this thread's title is not lore accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm biased in that I collect them, but a playable Sons of Behemat army (for people unaware it is a literal army of giants) would be amazing :allears:

I want to see how they even make that work. Like do you make their max army size less that 20? Good luck on coming up with an army roster.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Caidin posted:

I don't really understand the reverse chronological order thing. So are they are saying the squabble for Ursun is first, followed by big rats big plan, then the largely plotless original campaign?

It does make some of the plot hooks at the end of certain campaigns seem pretty pointless.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Giving all the demon factions the same mortal units would be incredibly lame and disappointing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I'm sure they will get a great rework, but just having the allied outpost system for Norsca will almost make them a new faction on it's own. Being able to get friendly with Demon factions and recruit demons would totally change the way they play.

It was never the units that were the problem with Norsca, it was the campaign mechanics that were a pain to interact with.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

How do you manage Kislev's devotion minigame? Your opponent ticks up overtime but you can only get points while the invocation is running, which needs devotion, and you're losing both in the early game because you're fighting kislevites

is the answer that it's bad because I feel like that's the answer

You just build a church in every settlement. I lost the first race to 50, but after that I blew past the other faction.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The absolute worst part of the campaign is these stupid traits you get for going into Chaos. They take forever to remove and just keep your Legendary Lord out of action even longer.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So with Kairos is it kind of a trap to expand into Cathay too fast? I went in and took out Miao Ying because she only had her original settlement, but most of the stuff around is yellow or red terrain so I’m worried I’m going to ruin my economy or at least take forever to get higher tier buildings. Also boy is this Tzeentch replenishment bad. I never want to autoresolve because it takes way to long to get back to full strength.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Something I've always wondered is if allying with a faction turns off some of their AI bonuses or makes the AI dumb. As Tzeentch I allied with the main Nurgle and Korne factions and they seem absolutely worthless. They are running randomly around with half stacks while Kislev is attacking them with like five stacks.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve discovered the secret to Kairos is to just hold on long enough for the Kurgen to start spawning half way decent stacks. Their constant pressure on Cathay have allowed me to sweep across the land. Also I unlocked the free teleport stance tech and now god help any enemy army that gets close to me.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Yeah dont worry about the kislev rivalry as katarina, just slap a supporter building in each minor settlement, its good for devotion and order anyways. Kos (or some say, Kostaltyn) has an initial lead but unless he balls out hard he'll be plateaued on supporter income pretty quickly

Honestly I wish when you got 600 supporters it didn’t automatically confederate Kostaltyn. He was a great buffer against the demons.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm so excited for some crazy person to mod the caravan stuff into its own roguelike game. If I could just have the game give me random troops and fight random battles I would be in heaven.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Heros can cheaply and easily wipe out the portals before any armies spawn

Yeah, they made it pretty easy to increase your hero amount from tier 3 building in minor settlements so I just build one of those in every province. Also I’ve never really played these games past turn 100 often so it’s not like any AI is going to force me to lose my campaign if I ignore going for the souls.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just save scummed to find the right portals to take. I was playing as Kairos so it felt like something Tzeentch would approve of.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The prospect of having to redo about ten turns or so of the campaign is frankly excruciating.

There were only like two spots where I had two portals to pick from so I knew after a turn or two if I had gone through the right one.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

I mean it just shows how different are the tastes of people playing the game. For me, Mortal Empires was ignored afterthought of a game mode, while the various Vortex campaigns were the meat of the game I spent like 95% of time in. I have still not finished a single Mortal Empire campaign, despite being pretty much done with WH2, while completing something like 12 Vortex campaigns.

No one “finishes” a Mortal Empires campaign they just play until it gets boring. Outside of using mods to change them the victory conditions are mostly nonsense.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Azran posted:

It's very peculiar. I know you can't access DLC content through outposts but Norsca has mammoths and skin wolves so I have no idea what's the problem there. Must have to do with the rework.

They need to have built the buildings to recruit the units in the settlement where your outpost is.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It wouldn’t work with how the chaos realms are on the map itself or with having to deal with other factions trying at the same time, but if they had made it so that turns stopped once you entered a chaos realm and it became it’s own mini campaign it would be a lot more tolerable to deal with.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

How am I supposed to reach 50 supporters before Kostaltyn as Katarin? He's rushing ahead, and I'm losing them because the first faction you have to fight are other Kislevites.

You don’t really need to. Just build some churches and use devotion to steal supporters once he reaches 50. You should fly past him after that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

PerilPastry posted:

Just discovered a delightful new bug where you load in your campaign and suddenly you get a notification all your outposts are gone.

The reason? All your allies have declared war on you. And the problem persists across saves, lol

Look, do you want to play Total War or Some War?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve never had the game crash.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also never forget that Ogres were originally intended to be paired up with the Halflings, assumingly in some sort of Master Blaster situation, as the ultimate chaos destroyers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s kind of funny how in game three how much I balk at any physical resistance items I find because there is just so much magic damage being thrown around that they aren’t really useful unless you are only fighting humans and ogres.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Triskelli posted:

With an entire race of Donald Ducks.

Total War needs Ducks. 🦆

I think lorewise you can have duck, or any animal, Beastmen, they are just alway modeled as cow/goat people to make the army look cohesive.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Demons having to deal with habitability is funny for me to think about. I’m an eldritch creature from a realm of constant change that lies outside of time, but gently caress you if you think I’ll spend any time in this hot sandy desert.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I usually hate timers, but XCOM 2 is an example of them actually being good.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can’t believe that is working as intended, but at the same time Tzeentch can get unlimited teleporting ambush stance which is probably on the same power level.

Do Nurgle or Slaanesh have anything that is remotely equivalent?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Chaos race would be fine if like in 2 you just had a final battle against anyone who got all of the souls and winning knocked them out of the competition.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

WarEternal posted:

Total War games desperately need a way to play a campaign without actually interacting with a campaign map or dealing with town sieges and poo poo at all.

Like, an adventure mode where you progressively make decisions that branches or something. The campaign map is so loving boring to me.

I have to imagine in a few years that someone will mod the Cathay trade routes into a mode like that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I always just assumed the blood effects were developed alongside the game and they just used the DLC to unlock that feature for the user to get around ratings stuff, but the weirdly long delay in its release for 3 has made me question that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

ThreeKindom-ed meaning...supported for two years with 10 DLCs?

And when they discontinued it they announced that they were doing it so they could make a sequel.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Do the Chorf wizards turn to stone as a result of them channeling the winds or does it happen automatically to any dwarf with magical aptitude?

It’s kind of a chicken or egg thing. Chaos Dwarves can only use magic because of their god so we don’t know if it’s the magic turning them to stone or if they turn to stone from interacting with their god.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Also WH3 is on gamepass so just looking at the steam numbers could be missing a lot of data.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

You could just give the allied units whatever tech the ally has. Red-line skills on lords are more of a problem.

Units you are using from allies should always be “weaker” than your own units in some way. You shouldn’t be able to use fully powered up units that aren’t naturally yours.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the skill trees on the lords feel very templatey and generic, like i was surprised to see almost the same buffs on chaos stuff as on cathay stuff. its disappointing compared to how good the skill trees were on the last few WH2 dlc lords

but then i also thought the launch lords of WH2 were awful compared to norsca

The DLC team is a lot better at making things fun and exciting than the main game team.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It'll be three chaos dwarves and a skaven lord. The fact that one is a skaven will never be called attention to.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah, the various Chaos factions trade with Chaos Dwarfs, they buy the iconic warrior plate armor from them. Ogres also get Leadbelcher cannons from them if they're not looting enemies or their employers.

I assume the other chaos factions still hate them though because they worship the wrong god.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lord help me for saying this, but I think Ghorst has the most interesting start location.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Isn’t that why attrition barely effects the AI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

When you get to a high enough turn in IE it just becomes the normal WH3 campaign.