Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
The time has come for season 42 of Survivor! This season was filmed back to back with season 41 so anything you hated from 41 will probably still be there! Joy!

Survivor airs Wednesday, March 9th on CBS! Check your local listings.

:siren::siren::siren:PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: :siren::siren::siren:

Some basic rules, which should be no-brainers for pre-taped reality TV:
  • :siren:If it pertains to season 42 but has not aired, DO NOT spoil it in this thread:siren:. Keep that poo poo to Sucks or some other dumb Survivor fan site.
  • This show is now 22 years old and has repeatedly brought back previous contestants/winners (and had an all-winner season) so discussion of previous seasons is likely going to be rampant and un-spoiler-tagged. If you're spoiler averse to old seasons, tread lightly. and go watch the old seasons FFS, even the bad ones have good parts! (except 39 don't watch that one it sucks). Also of note, old seasons have a whole lot of people with bad takes on sexuality and race and gender, so buckle in for that if you go back a couple decades.
  • To that end, keep any veiled racist/sexist/misogynist bullshit out of the thread. CBS has pushed to make modern seasons of their reality TV more inclusive so let's do the same and enjoy this more diverse cast! It worked really well for Survivor 41 and especially for Big Brother 23, so hopefully Survivor casting can keep it up.

Now for all of the boiler plate poo poo for new viewers in case you’ve been living under a rock for the past 22 years.
What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 26 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

This Season’s Gimmick

This season is going to be only 26 days, shortened from the usual 39 and, per Jeff, will be brutally hard with no food rewards or given rations and require much faster gameplay due to the shortened schedule.

Jeff said that these seasons are back to basics which we all assumed meant less twists and by golly wouldn’t you know it but season 41 was chock full of twists and stupid advantages galore and it was worse than usual but at least the people were cool

They’ve said that they learned some lessons from 41 and will implement them in 42 but this aint my first rodeo Jeff, so you’re not fooling me.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or YouTube or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel occasionally puts Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes on their channel but other times they're trying to draw traffic to their CBS All-Access app so they'll put them there instead. Worst case, just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you don't have to figure that out.

• Australian Survivor - It’s out there, there are many seasons of it (one going on now as of the time of this OP) and it’s all very good! The seasons are longer, the episodes are longer, the contestants are Austrailianer and Aussie Probst is cool and good. Where do I watch it though? Ask in thread or search old threads, there’s tons of info out there, or if you’re not living in 1994 you probably have a VPN and are savvy enough to figure it out. Also, Survivor South Africa is good, particularly the last couple of seasons, so check that out too if you’re fiending for more.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead. :blindside:

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

Okay then, time for the cast! I’m too busy with life to do my former deep dives on everyone and post a bunch of snarky bullshit so just have a picture and something I found from their bio. If you want to read full bios then you can’t! Unless you click here!

Pictures are bighuge if you click so beware!

Chanelle Howell

Is a food blogger, so likely won’t have much to talk about on this season

Daniel Strunk

This guy looks to be the goony ultra-Survivor-dork who will probably Jacob Derwin his way out (yes I know having this reference on deck makes me an ultra-Survivor-dork).

Drea Wheeler

I don’t know what a fitness consultant is but she probably posts pictures of herself doing air squats on Instagram I guess.

Hai Giang

All of his answers are so boring I can’t even make fun of it. ZZZzzz…

Jackson Fox

Evidently is only on Survivor because they lost a dare so no I’m not mad why do you ask? Also is (I think) our second transgender contestant.

Jenny Kim

I was on board until she talked about her EQ. Ever hear of EQ? No? Yeah because it’s nonsense.

Jonathan Young

Pet peeve is wearing shirts. Not even a joke. Just a fact about a weird weirdo bro.

Lindsay Dolashewich

Self-described “loud friend” with “an intense personality”. We have our woo-girl I guess. Her name also has “she-witch” in it.

Lydia Meredith

Can use vacuum cleaners but is terrified if anyone else uses one

Marya Sherron

A self-proclaimed mix of Angelina and Tony so this might be a legitimate crazy person so I’m here for it.

Maryanne Oketch

I legit think she could be really good at the game, assuming her energy doesn’t get the best of her.

Mike Turner

Another person who wants to play like Boston Rob, so he wants to get eliminated pre-merge twice.

Omar Zaheer

One of his is pet peeves is objectively the best part of “Friends”, Joey, so he obviously sucks. I will fight anyone who sides with this guy on this.

Rocksroy Bailey

Loves watching golf, so hours upon hours of boring nothingness on Survivor should appeal to him greatly.

Romeo Escobar

Said he wants to achieve a great Survivor historical moment like Rupert. Hopefully they get a shovel on their marooning.

Swati Goel

Her entire profile is incredibly obnoxious to read because she’s some type A super genius who never fails and always wins at everything. Her hero is also Elon Musk which probably explains the megalomania.

Tori Meehan

Another self-proclaimed “crazy and loud” blonde girl. Yay just what we needed! Thanks Survivor diversity initiative! You did it!

Zach Wurtenberger

I mean c’mon this guy is a goon right? Show yourself Zach. Step forward and be judged.

And that’ll do it. Sorry for the super duper late thread but life is busy. SHOW STARTS THIS WEDNESDAY so hold on to your butts. Pick those ponies and poisons.

Oh do this too if you want:

Chili posted:

Ah grumblecakes, the old thread is closed so I can't just quote this.

Hey! Would you like to play in a very low-effort survivor fantasy league!

If you're interested head over to https://tribal-council.com/ and use join code: d98dd968-1741-4707-95f0-68b3c32f6186 to join the 12 other people who have signed up so far! I think the league holds up to 16 so there aren't many spots left, get in while you can!

The point system is kinda neat, feel free to give it a read!

Some quick things to note:

There are times when you will be able to entirely redraft your team! I believe last season these moments were after the first episode and when the merge occurred. I imagine a swap would trigger a redraft as well. If there's a redraft you can pick as many new players as you like but when a player from your roster is booted, you lose access to that slot entirely!

I will post here when redrafts are available and I'll post some scoring updates that seem interesting.

Oh and if you're feeling extra confident about the power of your team and its potential to go the distance, go ahead and brag it about here. If you confirm confidence and you come in last place I will purchase you a survivor fantasy losertar.

SweetJahasus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Excited to see how much of a mess Jeff Probst Presents: Survivorball 2 manages to be. Though 41 managed to be fun despite itself so hopefully casting will manage to offset Jeff's twist kink again.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I expect sheer stupidity and am extremely here for it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have quite a few Pony choices but I think I'm going to go Maryanne. She looks like prime 'pre-merge shock boot' material but given that my other gut instincts were Jackson (probably too good of a story to get to the end) or Jonathan (who's prime poison material but might be fun in an Angelina way) might as well.

Poison... again, tempting to pick Jonathan but I'll probably go Tori.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Thanks, the OP helped me make my tribal-council.com picks based on completely superficial reactions to the pictures.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm super ready

Close your tags, OP

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Pony: Romeo
Poison: Swati

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I want to be on survivor and poo poo myself and die in the first hour.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

The Bloop posted:

I'm super ready

Close your tags, OP

The hazards of writing up a huge post in notepad on a laptop when you're exhausted. Think I fixed them all.

Pony: Maryanne
Poison: Jonathan

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The list is full of what seems like poison, it's tough to choose. Really tough between "afraid of vacuums" and "Musk fan."

Pony: Rocksroy, I wanna hear that name all season long.
Poison: Swati, can't wait to see what such a stable genius does after losing a challenge.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I generally like the cast!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm going to take a gambit

Pony: Strunk
Poison: Strunk

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

41 sucked and I didn’t even watch the final episode. Let’s hope this is better

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Studio posted:

I'm going to take a gambit

Pony: Strunk
Poison: Strunk

this guy said he has a spreadsheet where he tracks every single piece of media he consumes, with the date he watches/listens to it etc, if he watches it more than once he adds the additional dates so he can tell you all the times he watched it

He also worked on the jeb bush campaign (lol) and considers himself a "classical liberal" which confused Rob C and Mike bloom on the podcast since they don't know what that means

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 8, 2022

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Ah grumblecakes, the old thread is closed so I can't just quote this.

Hey! Would you like to play in a very low-effort survivor fantasy league!

If you're interested head over to https://tribal-council.com/ and use join code: d98dd968-1741-4707-95f0-68b3c32f6186 to join the 12 other people who have signed up so far! I think the league holds up to 16 so there aren't many spots left, get in while you can!

The point system is kinda neat, feel free to give it a read!

Some quick things to note:

There are times when you will be able to entirely redraft your team! I believe last season these moments were after the first episode and when the merge occurred. I imagine a swap would trigger a redraft as well. If there's a redraft you can pick as many new players as you like but when a player from your roster is booted, you lose access to that slot entirely!

I will post here when redrafts are available and I'll post some scoring updates that seem interesting.

Oh and if you're feeling extra confident about the power of your team and its potential to go the distance, go ahead and brag it about here. If you confirm confidence and you come in last place I will purchase you a survivor fantasy losertar.

Chili fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 8, 2022

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh and...

Pony: Omar
Poison: Tori

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Chili posted:

fantasy

Added to OP

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

After staying on top for most of last season I now know that I have the best survivor team and I'm putting my Zoidberg avatar up as ante.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I've seen Tori play in a game called Sequester. She's insanely bad socially and basically alienated herself so that she had to win challenges to survive but she was also very fun to watch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think it was Chanelle that also played in an ORG called Pandora Heroes vs Villains. I don't really know what that is but I guess a fake Survivor.

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011
So I was reading Jonathan Young's bio and his hero is...Lex Luger? And describes him as a "Man of God"?

Is there, like, *another* Lex Luger I'm not aware of?

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

zero faith after last season. prove me wrong, probsty boy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Survivor 42: Am I a Potato?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lmao fake blood

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

Lmao fake blood

did that goober use a ton with no wound lmao

also goodbye arm guy

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pretty decent first challenge

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’m cool with this advantage thing

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Can't wait to watch these people cannibalize each other.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
drat, Lithium

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nihonniboku posted:

drat, Lithium
Some alternate out there is screaming at their tv

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Some alternate out there is screaming at their tv

Have there been alternates for 41 and 42? Usually they fly alternates out to the island and have been known to drop cast members the day before filming starts and swapping them out with someone.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Second person voted out

One by production and one by players I guess

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Zach is probably one of the more memorable and likable first boots

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nihonniboku posted:

Zach is probably one of the more memorable and likable first boots
Yeah I’m curious why Rocksroy and Swati were so locked in on him when Romeo tried to stand up for him. Tori (and Rocksroy himself probably) seemed more screwy than him.

It also seemed like when the Tori vote got shut down Romeo had the opportunity to go back to Drea and said okay let’s do Rocksroy afterall. I was almost expecting that.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 10, 2022

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I really enjoyed that first episode. The cast is much better than last year's and maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome but I'm into the advantages. The Spirit Halloween fake blood run was dumb in the best way and the new amulet advantage thing actually incentivizes gameplay.

The medevac was weird. I can see from his POV why you'd like about your medication when you're so close to playing Survivor but Jeff letting him play knowing he'd have to pull him out was like an adult Make-A-Wish.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shneak posted:

The Spirit Halloween fake blood run was dumb in the best way and the new amulet advantage thing actually incentivizes gameplay.

The sound on my paramount plus feed wasn't working at that time so I had to watch with subtitles, and that scene was so funny I was cackling

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.
I was a little disappointed we didn’t get to see them scramble to lie about the mud and blood more. Hai even said to Lydia that the blood was his own, which seems really easily disproven if someone were to press him on it, but it never came up.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Forgot to make picks and watch smh.

Pony: Shirt hating Jonathan
Poison: Condiment fearing Omar

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
lydia pony
mike poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Torn between wanting Tori around to root against her, and wanting her out because she's an anti-vaxxer IRL. Bonding with nerds by talking about Harry Potter. Lmao