Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I may be going through NYC in late June. I take it Mets tickets aren't so hard to come by, but how hard are Yankees tickets to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

RCarr posted:

You shouldn’t have any trouble getting either

Kick rear end.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I am beginning to be worried that Ryu might be totally washed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Shine posted:

I'm checking on baseball for the first time in like 15 years, and I just learned about Shohei Ohtani :stare:

Yeah, there’s some really cool stuff happening right now.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I’ve been reading SAS since like 2007 and in that time I know of two Mariners fans who no longer post (Cecil and A Rad Mustache).

We are an astonishingly resilient bunch I guess.

When it was always bad it's hard for it to get worse.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Having come from the Jays game let me say: Alek Manoah is pretty drat good at the whole throwing baseballs thing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

A baseball game taking less than 2 hours honestly sounds like something I might not enjoy but who knows.

I was at a Buehrle-Hallady Sox-Jays game that took under two hours and it was pretty great.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

For a long time, Ryan Goins was this player for Toronto. He was never a good hitter, but he had a good glove at 2B, and those types of players do get a lot of praise. There was one year where he hit really well in bases loaded situations (I think), and people thought of him as a clutch hitter.

I am not sure why I took to John McDonald so much, and never cared for Goins.

McDonald was a cool fun player when the Jays legitimately did not have a lot else going on, and had some franchise-unique plays (father's day dinger, sliding catch off the catwalk in Tampa). I think it helped that the media never bigged up McDonald at the cost of other players. Goins was a clearly inferior player at the time the Jays were actually competitive. When Jose Bautista is putting up the best offensive season in team history, "look at this gritty infielder" is kind of insulting.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

I wanna see a combined inside the park home run someday

I swear we saw a combined homer a couple years back. Batter hits it out but it’s initially ruled a double. The now-runner is pulled for a pinch runner, then the play is reviewed. The hit is ruled a home run but since the switch was already made, the pinch runner completes the run.

Am I horribly misremembering this?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

I've flipflopped on the shift over and over and where I've landed now is that it sucks for the aesthetic of watching a game. I don't care that it's been in use for decades: it sucks to see a ball off the bat you know should be a hit get turned into an out not because of a sparking defensive play, but because the shift put a guy right there. And it sucks when your guy is pitching and he gets a ball off the bat you know for sure is an easy out except whoops lol because of the shift nobody was there for it. I don't think they should draw circles on the field or anything but something as simple as "two IF's on each side of the 2B bag with feet on the dirt" works would result in a more enjoyable product to watch.

There was a time in chess where you’d role a die to determine which piece you were allowed to move. They should introduce something similar for baseball, where before every at bay you role a couple of dice to determine how many in the infield/outfield and how many of each side of second.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

What’s the best way to read this? That you have to hit the ball 4mph harder than three seasons ago to achieve the same results? (I assume, then, that would be attributable to improvements or shifting in the defence.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

yes, and that's far more attributable to changes in the ball's composition than to dramatic, league-wide improvements in defense over a 3 year span

I am not a physics understander. Why would changes in the ball result in 'needing to achieve greater exit velocity to achieve same result' rather than 'exit velocity on contact is reduced'?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Traxis posted:

If changes in the ball result in more drag it will decelerate faster even if the exit velocity is the same

ah, okay, that makes sense

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, Donaldson hosed up big time here. No editorializing or anything, call a spade a loving spade

Ah, err, uhh…

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

There is potentially an interesting and worthwhile topic of discussion here but I would appreciate it if everyone would post better.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Walrus posted:

Keep in mind USA has the exact same rule it just doesn't come up cause all the Jays are vaccinated

Canada rescinds its vaccination requirement, leading to players from American teams being stuck in Canada.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

N: The Jays have won 4 one run games in a row.

V: Perfectly sustainable.

Their 15-7 record in 1-run games is a reflection of moral virtue.

e: they have the same pythag as the 19-27 Marlins.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/MitchBannon/status/1532812833267896320

That's unfortunate, though the downgrade from him to Stripling is probably not very significant as fifth starters are concerned.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Walrus posted:

no but not having chicken strip as a fill in 2-3 inning man is a luxury tht will nbe missed

That’s a fair observation though also without Ryu the need for such a guy is drastically reduced.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BlueJayHunter/status/1533455383464919040

The Jays are pretty fun now that the bats are coming around. Forums favourite Alejandro Kirk is hitting 307/386/453 and might be the best position player on the team right now, which is real cool. All they really need is for Guerrero to get back to where he can be and they should be all the way back to legit contenders.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They're going to have a hard time figuring out what to do with Kirk when Gabriel Moreno comes up soon

I'm going to assume that Danny Jansen is going to turn back into Danny Jansen, so absolute worst case scenario you put Kirk at DH. But, in general, too many good players is one of those problems that's not a tremendous difficulty.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Danny Jansen is hurt so the Jays are calling up Moreno.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The President of the Toronto Blue Jays Mark Shapiro has decided to stick his dick into local politics and, shock upon shocks, he's doing so in defence of an absolutely dogshit position.

https://twitter.com/AlexSeixeiro/status/1535299970944884736?s=20&t=Tycfu3rqmfqsY_3NO2cwTw

For those unfamiliar with Toronto, the Skydome is connected via special walkway to Union Station, the centre for both municipal and regional transport.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Just had a fantastic challenge play in Toronto.

Orioles batter grounded out on a check swing. Orioles challenge that the batter was hit by a pitch. After a lengthy review, call comes back that the batter was hit so the groundout is nullified, but he still went around so it's strike three. So the Orioles won a challenge to strike their own batter out.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Precisely two days in advance of the Hyun-Jin Ryu jersey giveaway. Maybe along with the cheap replicas they can also give away his game jerseys that won't be needed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Air Bud 7th Inning Fetch

The movie would probably be improved if, during the climax, Griffey drove in in a dog catcher’s van, scooped up Buddy in a net, and took him off to the pound.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Guerrero and Bichette at least have name recognition, and Kirk’s cool as hell. The real sign for how much Jays fans are bombing the voting is Santiago Espinal being 2nd for 2nd basemen.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pretty sure he was leading 2B in WAR up until his 0 for 20 whatever he's on right now.

Yeah but he's Santiago Espinal. There's probably like five non-Jays fans total who know who he is.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Getting ejected during the card exchange is badass as hell, and I'm split between imagining Martinez unleashing a string of cursewords until he got tossed or just saying "you called a really great game last night" while shaking Eddings's hand.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ihatepants posted:

I'm looking at Fangraphs

Edit: The argument was top 10 in the AL, not top 10 in all of baseball.

Not the point of your post but:

Kevin Gausman has the highest fWAR among AL pitchers by almost a full win. The Toronto Blue Jays have scored 323 runs, a strong third in the AL.

Kevin Gausman has five wins and six losses.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

I guess the glove throw was ruled unintentional? I thought that was an automatic triple.

https://twitter.com/sny_mets/status/1543674563283795969?s=21&t=vfZBi4UHeAY1JXyoxdxP0w

That actually came up recently in a Jays game, and the three bases are only awarded if the glove hits the ball.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I feel like letting Smoltz call a pitch then Manoah immediately hitting the batter with that pitch should be an all time all star game moment.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Bellmaker posted:

Somebody forgot to tell the Red Sox that the All-Star Break is over

There have been so many baffling defensive plays this series.

https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1551288145702010881?s=20&t=kn1wlvu4n9IxBaB5jC8lLg

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Groshans for multiple pieces feels weird. Is this gonna be a salary dump from the Marlins?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I made a separate thread for Vin Scully so it doesn't have to get twisted up with the trade deadline fallout (and general MLB news-viewsiness).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4009050

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did Donaldson win that MVP? Trout was obviously better and Donaldson did not have a Triple Crown to close the gap

He had a huge year as the big acquisition on a team that made a big breakthrough, and for some reason his 40 home runs were seen as a nicer rounder number than Trout's.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Are there any good insights about what's up with Berrios this year? I saw an interesting thread about how he's not throwing his 4-seemer over the plate anymore, which means teams are just sitting on his offspeed stuff. But it didn't have much to say about what's gone wrong with the 4-seemer, other than something seemed to happen in 2020 as well.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Gerblederp posted:

Can’t believe management took a look at the starting pitching situation at the deadline and figured they could win anything this year

Just embarrassing.

I would've liked them to do more too but I don't think there are deadline acquisitions that would've solved Berrios forgetting how to fastball, and it's not like Manoah-Gausman-Stripling is anything approaching a weakness.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Didn’t they trade for like four people who can do the Trent Thornton role? And as much as one may or may not trust Stripling, he’s nevertheless been good this year.

Sure the starting pitching’s gotten beat up lately, but it’s not like Manoah and Gausman are problems in a broader sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s already been up at least once this year but he got sent back down

Really interested to see if the Jays trade either Moreno or Kirk this offseason. Maybe you can tell a story that Moreno could use another year in AAA, but that seems pretty doubtful, and I don't know about Kirk or Moreno being especially interesting as a DH.

e: Wild that Kirk is only a year and a half older than Moreno.