Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

See you're not saying anything that's incorrect, but grouping every mass shooting together and refusing to see anything that contradicts that narrative is just as pigheaded as thinking every single one was conducted by "the CIA"

IMO we still have no real clue if JFK got done by the mafia, the MIC, rogue MIC in conjuction with the mafia, or even (and, to me, most ridiculous) with LBJ's explicit approval to derail the investigations into LBJ which vanished the second Oswald or whoever took a shot.

So, we have not much insight into the highest profile killing of the last century, meanwhile the intel agencies have done nothing but get spookier and more compartmentalized, and motherfuckers be thinking we'll ever get the full story on literally anything that has a substantial MIC fingerprint on it? :laugh:

It would take a lot to make me think the MIC has much interest in something as low profile as Uvalde, and also that really looks like a bunch of dumb loving incompetent cops that didn't need some kind of support from above to make a horrible situation worse. On the other hand, that's what I've been coddled to believe by the information that's available. The body cam footage etc is still being blocked.

I don't think this event was an "op" but I think what's happening now is absolutely a coverup of something. The general pettiness of cops makes me think it could be well, well short of "actually the cops set the shooter up with gear".

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 16:38 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
some of our friends from church had to explain the local parades got cancelled and their kids cried for hours and hours. fun poo poo

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

also, w/r/t Highland, the media seems to be doing the dumb bad loving thing of publishing human interest articles about the troubled shooter and his motivations and blasting his loving picture everywhere, despite organizations which study this suggesting a completely loving different handling:

quote:

Lankford also studied 24 mass shooters who openly admitted they wanted fame or contacted the media directly to get it.[7] Studies of mass shooters that are based on available documentation and interviews found that many had narcissistic personalities that crave fame and attention;[16] narcissistic personality disorder is often not considered a mental illness.

The American Psychological Association recommends that mass media deny shooters the fame they desire by not sharing so many details about them and instead direct their attention to the victims and their stories. Campaigns like Don’t Name Them (a campaign of the FBI and Texas State University) and No Notoriety (created by a couple in honor of their son who died in the Colorado movie theater shooting) urge the media to cover tragic incidents without naming the shooters or describing their lives or motivations. By reducing the fame and attention that mass shooters receive, there will be fewer obsessive fans that become copycat shooters. This strategy has already been shown to be effective regarding teen suicides: Less media coverage has resulted in fewer copycats.[9]

This is hardly the only organization saying this and at this point I think there's enough hard data on how media narratives can spur on further violence, that when media chooses to engage in narratives which do just that, they are fuckin complicit.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Cabbages and Kings posted:

also, w/r/t Highland, the media seems to be doing the dumb bad loving thing of publishing human interest articles about the troubled shooter and his motivations and blasting his loving picture everywhere, despite organizations which study this suggesting a completely loving different handling:

This is hardly the only organization saying this and at this point I think there's enough hard data on how media narratives can spur on further violence, that when media chooses to engage in narratives which do just that, they are fuckin complicit.

the media are the enemy of the people

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ikanreed posted:

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal is and I do not know why I should know.

it’s so you don’t embarrass yourself like this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought the copycat thing was largely discredited?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

some of our friends from church had to explain the local parades got cancelled and their kids cried for hours and hours. fun poo poo

no they didn’t

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
mass shootings are an fbi op not a cia op

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
stop talking about ops you literal loving schizos

people love to shoot people especially in this country and there doesnt need to be some cracked out reason other than typical malice

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

news to me but also wouldn't surprise me since my premise here was "the media narratives around these events are always bad and should be regarded with suspicion"

got any interesting relevant links?

Pontificating rear end posted:

people love to shoot people especially in this country and there doesnt need to be some cracked out reason other than typical malice

if the police do dumb illegal poo poo in response to these events and then cover it up, as has happened in, minimally, two well documented incidents, it's very much an "operation" and you don't have to be a schizo to think so. I think you may need to have some mental health issues to generally trust the cops in any situation, though!

coathat
May 21, 2007

No it’s very important that you say gladio at least twice a day to show how smart you are.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

“hmmm the nation is deeply divided and hostile towards itself rn, but the resulting violence is the result of a massive coverup and not the result of decades of heightened erosion of our social fabric”

lmao like yeah this isn’t some riddle, we’re poo poo as a society and this is a result

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

no they didn’t

wrong.gif

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

in the sense that all of society is bearing down on crazy shut ins with intrusive thoughts saying "this is what people like you do"?

no I'm afraid I haven't seen anything conclusive

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

if the police do dumb illegal poo poo in response to these events and then cover it up, as has happened in, minimally, two well documented incidents, it's very much an "operation" and you don't have to be a schizo to think so. I think you may need to have some mental health issues to generally trust the cops in any situation, though!

cops lie and destroy evidence constantly to cover up their INCOMPETANCE
they are incapable of higher-level thinking

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sounds like you're a schizo to me, cops never lie and feds are the highest level cops

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Yes, this was my basic takeaway from Columbine as well as whatever the gently caress is going on in Uvalde.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

sounds like you're a schizo to me, cops never lie and feds are the highest level cops

an extremely schizo post

anyway im going back to gangstalking half the posters itt

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

an extremely schizo post

keep going you're going to win the thread soon

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

keep going you're going to win the thread soon

last word

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mass shootings are not an op but we can have fun arguing about what motivations for them would be

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Tezer posted:

The TFR gun control thread is going well

smokey the bear reboot looking really grim

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

it's weird to me how many mass casualty event perpetrators were "known to law enforcement" beforehand

conspiracy isn't a dirty word and screaming about how believing in anything but the gross incompetence of authority is mental illness is doing the lib media's job for them. it's pure tribalism

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

indigi posted:

mass shootings are not an op but we can have fun arguing about what motivations for them would be

unaddressed long term unhappiness combined with a generally degrading public sphere, lack of trust in institutions, general challenge to the tried-and-tired stereotypes of "masculinity" and "power"

all happening inside a country which is experiencing rapid wealth concentration at the top at the expense of everyone else, but where high powered rifles are still easily available on credit in any town with more than about 5000 people in it

there I solved it and that just seems sad, not fun

Hooplah posted:

it's weird to me how many mass casualty event perpetrators were "known to law enforcement" beforehand

conspiracy isn't a dirty word and screaming about how believing in anything but the gross incompetence of authority is mental illness is doing the lib media's job for them. it's pure tribalism

In a bunch of cases (like Highland!) they were "known to police" specifically because they had done violent awful poo poo which in a reasonable world would have put them under suspicion that would prevent gun ownership, but we don't live in that world so it's just "yea the cops knew that guy was kinda a psycho, and then he got a gun and killed 20 people"

also I am not just calling authority incompetent, I am calling them, at best, criminally negligent and at worst directly liable for some amount of deaths in some of these events where the response was entirely hosed up.

Conspiracy is the cleanest of clean words, it just means "more than one person agreeing implicitly or explicitly to commit a crime or series of crimes", and that clearly happens all the time. I personally am pretty open to the existence of many conspiracies that involve up to 5-6 people, and am loving dismal on the idea you could pull off a massive conspiracy that required the cooperation of hundreds of people knowingly, unless they all suicided at the end or something. Someone would, eventually, say something.

Cabbages and Kings has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jul 6, 2022

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

seems like the cops tryin to actually, like, do something about mass shooters is a good way for cops to get mass shot, so they're probably just letting the mass shooters get it out of their system before trying to anything about it

seems to be working out well for them so far, anyways

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

look can we all just take a minute to appreciate the fact that we're arguing some kinda pedantic poo poo in this thread?

It's good because it means there hasn't been a mass shooting in America today. Yet.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Hooplah posted:

I think it’s that saying “conspiracy” implies some kind of organization at some level rather than a general abandonment by the people and systems we were expecting to keep us safe.

there is a conspiracy in as much as the police are lazy and incompetent and seek to hide this from the general public and in as much as the institutions that we think should be addressing issues like mental health, the bleakness of the future, etc. either do not exist or have been gutted for profit incentives.

there aren’t like shadowy cabals of generals inside the pentagon working with Elon musk to create mass casualty events for inscrutable reasons, it’s a bunch of lazy and greedy people covering their own asses and this death by a thousand cuts leads to situations like this more and more often.

it looks even worse because no one is either willing to, or can, do anything from a position of leadership to address these issues.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the only op is that half the time these right wing creeps have been monitored for the FBI for years and still usually manage to flawlessly execute their mass shooter plans. you can debate whether that's because the feds think its good and are allowing it or because the structure of reactionary law enforcement prevents anyone from acting until after people are already dying but it's clear they're not helping in any way

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

saw a bunch of new posts and thought there was a new shooting but nope just epstein thread poo poo

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

thread stared too long into the abyss

https://twitter.com/DSRWnews/status/1544335112266997761

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the only op is that half the time these right wing creeps have been monitored for the FBI for years and still usually manage to flawlessly execute their mass shooter plans. you can debate whether that's because the feds think its good and are allowing it or because the structure of reactionary law enforcement prevents anyone from acting until after people are already dying but it's clear they're not helping in any way

one of my friends once had a neighbor call them to report they were moving lots of "suspicious boxes" around. They were doing aerospace work, and may have been lugging components to and from their car.

They got a visit from a cop plus an FBI agent, who just told them that the report had been made and asked zero questions whatsoever about the reloading bench, ammo-in-process, and rack of semiautomatic rifles and pistols in clear view in the house, and there was no followup.

I believe they simply do not actually care, and also think that bothering white people about their weapons might cause them career jeopardy of some kind.

I don't think this person should have been seriously interrogated or anything; they had ID, a clear explanation for their work, etc. At the same time, if you are responding to a "suspicious person" call and see an assload of guns and don't even ask about that it feels to me like maybe you are not doing your job as thoroughly as you should be?

Oglethorpe posted:

saw a bunch of new posts and thought there was a new shooting but nope just epstein thread poo poo

yes and as I said above that's the good case so come crack a beer with us, bdOglethorpe bdFriend.

edit: pssssh CSPAM should have put tradmark protection on `schizoposting` years ago. gently caress.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

news to me but also wouldn't surprise me since my premise here was "the media narratives around these events are always bad and should be regarded with suspicion"

got any interesting relevant links?

Mass Shootings: The Role of the Media in Promoting Generalized Imitation

“Recently a “contagion” effect has been suggested wherein the occurrence of one mass shooting increases the likelihood of another mass shooting occurring in the near future. Although contagion is a convenient metaphor used to describe the temporal spread of a behavior, it does not explain how the behavior spreads. Generalized imitation is proposed as a better model to explain how one person’s behavior can influence another person to engage in similar behavior.”

I’m not sure what to make of it. It seems to be saying it doesn’t spread like a contagion but maybe provides a template?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mastershakeman posted:

Ah you're a church person. That explains a lot of your posting

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

a country full of blood lust and despair surrounded by weapons, really don’t know how to fix this folks

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Mass Shootings: The Role of the Media in Promoting Generalized Imitation

“Recently a “contagion” effect has been suggested wherein the occurrence of one mass shooting increases the likelihood of another mass shooting occurring in the near future. Although contagion is a convenient metaphor used to describe the temporal spread of a behavior, it does not explain how the behavior spreads. Generalized imitation is proposed as a better model to explain how one person’s behavior can influence another person to engage in similar behavior.”

I’m not sure what to make of it. It seems to be saying it doesn’t spread like a contagion but maybe provides a template?

:thunk:
This is interesting and also seems to want to hedge its bets, but the Conclusions section unedited is

quote:

A mass shooting is a complex and destructive act that occurs as a result of many factors. One factor that is relevant to the spread of mass shootings and other “contagious” behaviors is generalized imitation. In instances of mass shootings, the media appear largely responsible for providing the model to imitate. Although there are a variety of strategies that could function in tandem to alter the likelihood of a mass shooting, changing the way the media report mass shootings is one important step in preventing and reducing imitation of these acts. Furthermore, it is likely that media-prompted imitation extends beyond mass shootings. A media effect has been shown with suicide, is implied in mass shootings, and may play a role in other extreme events such as home-grown terrorism and racially motivated crimes.

The responsibility for these acts does not reside with the media, but the media are an important vector for the spread of such behaviors. Changing the way in which the media report a mass shooting could be difficult given that sensationalizing a tragic event brings in both viewers and revenue, which is a powerful incentive. In addition, the continual creation and expansion of social and new media platforms may make change more difficult because, in these instances, individuals rather than larger corporate entities develop and disseminate media. Given the numerous media outlets that exist and the various motivations behind the posting of content, it is unlikely that the reforms suggested here could be effectively mandated.

However, public pressure could be exerted on the various media outlets and individual contributors to change their reporting tactics. In the case of new and social media, this same pressure could influence the various platforms to provide guidelines regarding uploaded content related to a mass shooting. The first step toward building this public pressure is to make the general public aware of the link between the media and generalized imitation, as well as the role the media play in unknowingly perpetuating acts of violence.

I don't think this fundamentally undermines my own premise, and if anything seems to be at least open to the possibility that changing media narratives would effect outcomes, but complicating this is both the difficulty of actually doing so, combined with the spread of social media which is harder or impossible to control (and does appear to have been a significant factor in Buffalo, Uvalde, Highland murder sprees).

Der Meister posted:

a country full of blood lust and despair surrounded by weapons, really don’t know how to fix this folks

this sounds like one of those situations where at some point thermodynamics just kicks in and solves it? Gods help those of us who live here, of course.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Saw libs dogpiling a few people posting about how the guy wasn't really a Trump supporter and how this poo poo doesn't fit inside a neat partisan box and is way weirder.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Der Meister posted:

DE-CRIMINALIZE DUELING!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Saw libs dogpiling a few people posting about how the guy wasn't really a Trump supporter and how this poo poo doesn't fit inside a neat partisan box and is way weirder.

why the gently caress does anyone assume politics have to have anything to do with poo poo like this? People commit murder on small and large scale all the time for apolitical reasons.

to commit a mass killing you need to be broken enough in the head to view causing as much death and pain as possible as both desirable, and as a physics problem with no morality attached, and smart enough to understand how frail humans actually are and that this is a pretty simple problem when viewed through this lens. That is it. That's the only requirement. You don't need any particular belief or diagnosis.

once your brain is broken to that point, you're a menace to society, and the things that break people to that degree needn't be political, and even if they are actually arising from some material cause that has a political reality underlaying it, the brokebrained killer may not at all parse the connection between the politics and their material state, or, if they do, they may make completely wrong inferences and come to conclusions that are "political" but completely detached from reality.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I'm late to the discussion but I don't understand how celebrating a nation and it's creation is not a tacit approval of what that nation is doing or what it stands for. Like if a person is flying a confederate flag is it not safe to assume that person is racist? If someone is attending a KKK rally is it not safe to assume that person supports the KKK and what the KKK stands for? This is excluding children of course.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Took a quick glance at 4chan and its extremely obvious why they all end up killing people