Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I can't wait for Truths from a Manhattan Courthouse Jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Truths from Manhattan Jail, by Donald Truther King

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Oil! posted:

I can't wait for Truths from a Manhattan Courthouse Jail

It's going to be like when they put George Bluth in solitary and he started hawking videos.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Merchan will never jail him. It will Not Happen.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wayback posted:

Escalating massive fines is probably the way to go and it has shut him up a bit in the past. He seems to desperately want to be thrown in jail with all the fundraising and "they're going to jail me tomorrow" messages he's been sending. Definitely a tough call for the judge since anyone else looking cross-eyed at the jury would have been bond revoked a while ago.

I'm not sure they can escalate the fines. $1000 appears to be the statutory max.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Caros posted:

I'm not sure they can escalate the fines. $1000 appears to be the statutory max.

correct, the only remaining escalation after he gets fined today (other than more $1000/count fines) is jail

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The judge should publicly ask the bailiff if he is prepared to take the defendant into custody

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Trump wanting his followers to come down and show how they really feel.
Which they are, but he's just not listening.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1782769485138534662

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It's a pipe dream. Trump *might* get fined. But he won't be jailed. He could take a poo poo on the Judge's bench and it wouldn't get him held in contempt

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

The AG's team have already said they are not asking for jail time yet, just financial punishment.

Likely they are saving any jail request for after he gets found in contempt then violates again so they can argue fines were tried and didn’t work.

For this reason Trump’s attorneys will actually have more luck getting him to vague-post instead of explicitly naming people the court says he can’t when jail really looks like it’s on the table.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 23, 2024

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Pecker is giving it really hard right now to Trump.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Caros posted:

Apply surveillance capitalism rules and pay-per-impression!

Caros
May 14, 2008

So apparently trial transcripts are going to be posted on the court websites within one business day for the new York trial, meaning we should have a full transcript posted for yesterday's proceedings within the next few hours.

Not as good as actual audio or video, but definitely an improvement to trying to keep up via tweet.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Caros posted:

So apparently trial transcripts are going to be posted on the court websites within one business day for the new York trial, meaning we should have a full transcript posted for yesterday's proceedings within the next few hours.

Not as good as actual audio or video, but definitely an improvement to trying to keep up via tweet.

The NYT, WaPo, and The Guardian all have live posting from the courtroom.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m a fan of Cohen saying Trump was too racist to have a love child with a Hispanic woman.

I even believe it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Truths from Manhattan Jail, by Donald Truther King

Mein Truth by Donald Trump

Caros
May 14, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

The NYT, WaPo, and The Guardian all have live posting from the courtroom.

True, but same difference. A transcript tends to be easier to read and more precise.

Edit: Lol, the judge instructed jurors to report anyone trying to bribe them. Can't imagine why.

Caros fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

The Guardian posted:

Donald Trump addressed the media in the hallway outside the courtroom, complaining that it was “totally freezing” inside, per pool.

Asked about his thoughts on the gag order, Trump said it was “totally unconstitutional”, adding:

I’m not allowed to talk but people are allowed to talk about me.

He later said:

I’d love to say everything on my mind.

what if it's normal temperature and he's dying. everyone keeps saying he looks like poo poo

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Old person complains room is cold. News at 11.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Madkal posted:

Ok this is right there with white power nap

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Caros posted:

Edit: Lol, the judge instructed jurors to report anyone trying to bribe them. Can't imagine why.

Why isn't this jury being sequestered as strongly as humanly possible

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

Me In Kamp F by Donald Trump.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

haveblue posted:

Because that would suck and they don't like to sequester juries

Caros
May 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

Juries need to make some scratch on the side too. You wouldn't prohibit that, would you?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fart Amplifier posted:

Because that would suck and they don't like to sequester juries

I get that, but in a case like this where the safety and/or integrity of the jurors could be threatened you'd think they'd almost have to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I watched a plea once where a dude got charged with jury tampering

He had been on trial for like armed robbery and got a mistrial that nobdy understood because it seemed pretty open and shut

Turns out, during a lunch break during trial, defendant went down the street to the diner and just bumped into one of the jurors, offered to pay him off, juror took the money

Whole thing was captured on the diners' surveillance camera literally every bill being counted out clear as day

Funny part is the sentence for jury tampering was just ten years and he was facing 25 for the armed robbery anyway, so, not a bad risk really. He ended up pleading to both but didn't get any more time net than he would've on just the robbery. Sentenced concurrently.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
similar thing happened to a friend of mine on trial for giving a bottle of water to a woman in a voting line in georgia

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I watched a plea once where a dude got charged with jury tampering

He had been on trial for like armed robbery and got a mistrial that nobdy understood because it seemed pretty open and shut

Turns out, during a lunch break during trial, defendant went down the street to the diner and just bumped into one of the jurors, offered to pay him off, juror took the money

Whole thing was captured on the diners' surveillance camera literally every bill being counted out clear as day

Funny part is the sentence for jury tampering was just ten years and he was facing 25 for the armed robbery anyway, so, not a bad risk really. He ended up pleading to both but didn't get any more time net than he would've on just the robbery. Sentenced concurrently.

How much does it take to bribe a juror, asking for a friend

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much does it take to bribe a juror, asking for a friend

I think it was like $300? Plus, you know, also catching their own set of charges.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Staluigi posted:

as far as i am concerned this is the point where we are pretty done testing "the court is being careful to just give him rope to hang himself with, contempt of court would just empower him" to "the court is scared to hold him to any meaningful standard of contempt that applies to the non-powerful"

there needs to be contempt charges or his method is a 100% validated system of witness and juror intimidation going forward lol

Because he legitimately hasn't hit the level for 'contempt' yet. It's a shockingly high bar to clear for any decent judge. And unfortunately they're not allowed to use your actions in other cases to start with higher penalties. And the reason why the highest fine is 1000 is so a judge can't ruin a poor defendant so easily. If you could fine someone millions for being a dick in court, that would absolutely be used to annihilate a poor person who pissed off a bad judge. And you can't just scale it to their wealth because the bad judge would find way to abuse that.

I assume that some judges being pieces of poo poo about that sort of thing is why it is the way it is. Regulations get written in blood and such.

Though if Trump keeps it up he might be getting actual charges brought against him, dumbass.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kchama posted:

Because he legitimately hasn't hit the level for 'contempt' yet. It's a shockingly high bar to clear for any decent judge..

He's being charged with violating a gag order which is similar to but not necessarily the same thing as contempt.

That said his statements to the media from the courthouse probably could qualify as contempt. Judges have shocking latitude on contempt charges. They can sentence summarily with no trial if it happens in front of them and "in front of" can mean "around the courthouse".

Contempt is whatever the judge says it is.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Left Wing media and the judicial system doing an amazing job of making Alina Habba look incompetent.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1782889521203306933

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Meanwhile, while the contempt of court motion is being heard in court.

Ah, yes. Everyone knows that "free speech" means you get to say whatever you want, whenever you want during a criminal trial.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This man made me laugh

https://twitter.com/traecrowder/status/1782886465070129265

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Secret Service prepares for if Trump is jailed for contempt in hush money case

quote:

The U.S. Secret Service held meetings and started planning for what to do if former President Donald Trump were to be held in contempt in his criminal hush money trial and Judge Juan Merchan opted to send him to short-term confinement, officials familiar with the situation told ABC News.

Merchan on Tuesday reserved decision on the matter after a contentious hearing. Prosecutors said at this point they are seeking a fine.

“We are not yet seeking an incarceratory penalty," assistant district attorney Chris Conroy said, "But the defendant seems to be angling for that."

Officials do not necessarily believe Merchan would put Trump in a holding cell in the courthouse but they are planning for contingencies, the officials said.

There have not been discussions yet about what to do if Trump is convicted and sentenced to prison.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A part of me is actually legitimately concerned if he's trying to do this on purpose to further rally his base and trying to pull a Hitler.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cimber posted:

This man made me laugh

That's his job, he's a comedian. I follow his The Liberal Redneck channel on YouTube, and maybe you should too!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

A part of me is actually legitimately concerned if he's trying to do this on purpose to further rally his base and trying to pull a Hitler.

That's his fantasy, anyway. He was also expecting huge crowds in the streets rioting during the trial, and you can see how that's gone.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Raenir Salazar posted:

Trump can't write a book by himself. He needs a ghost writer, and he can't get one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

Ouch:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1782781163678879914

Please let him get 48 hours in the clink...please let him get 48 hours in the clink....

Just a reminder that I Toxxed awhile back that Trump won't set foot in a prison, including house arrest.

He violated the poo poo out of that gag order and won't see a day of confinement over it. :toxx:

As with all of this, the gag order is just theater to make people think the legal system might actually do something about Trump's crimes. It won't be enforced.

Hey, how is NY doing with taking Trump's poo poo? A month ago this thread was saying it was a pretty swift process there and should be happening pretty quick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Bible fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 24, 2024