Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd love to jump back in this with the timberwolves please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I can't believe someone took my clippers. I'm distraught.

I guess I'll have to be the Lakers. Gross.

$300 for Russell Westbrook

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Minneapolis Lakers vs The Saint Paul Timberwolves.

Each team could have dozens of fans.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bring back the Muskies! More teams named after fish.

Freshwater fish!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I think we're probably just both going to play in minneapolis tbqh

Xcel is right in downtown st paul and is probably a better stadium to watch a game at.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Though in honesty we probably shouldn't relocate teams for this game. It'd just be confusing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't pick yurt 7, this advice is broadly applicable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

lol, that is a stacked day 1

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also, I may do a "next closest bid" update on every won bid just for shits and giggles and chaos to make people second guess if they're bidding too low, high, give a lil pain if they were close. :11tea:

Yeah this is a good idea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a steal

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Giggs posted:

I've thrown together an unofficial google sheet to summarize the days signings and each team's roster

not pictured: joe harris, too short

You are a saint

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

If Jimmy Butler found this forum and saw that he went for less than KAT how mad do you think he would be

He'd already be on the phone with Rachel Nichols

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

From past seasons I think it's less about when you bid. I tried saving late one year and ended up having to spend a ton of cash just competing with people who were also saving.

Yeah, the best deals pop up very randomly. The best strategy is probably one of just steady bids and not panic bidding.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

Im not trying to draft a team of simulated winners, I'm trying to draft a team of players who would be good and cool winners IRL.

Also Kelly Olynyk so he cant hurt any of our starters.

I'm not even trying to draft winners, I just like drafting a team than makes me feel cool and good even if they win like 35 games.

Come to think of it, it explains my real life fandom quite a bit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

There absolutely is a point where spending deflates and prices go down. Because the total amount of roster spots and funds for the league is effectivly capped (30k and 450, respectivly) there is an expectation that every roster spot, on average, will cost $66.66 (repeating of course) dollars and that roster spots and dollars will be spent at roughly the same relative rate.

This has not been the case so far, the league has spent 17.78% of the cap on 12.2% of the roster spots. Prices, quite literally, have to go down as we have outspent the rate we would expect to be at by over 5.5%. This isnt tenable and the average price of a player going forward is already down to $62.44. It will probably be around 60$ by the end of the day.

A big part of what brings that down is the number of $1 or even $0 FA guys that bring that average down, but don't meaningfully improve a team, and tend to bunch up at the end.

We also had the last 2 MVPs show up in the first three days.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Washington Wizards (a new study bible!) have signed D'Angelo Russell for $111.

(The next highest bid was $78.)

That's a good price too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I did a nba2k sim one year, and running it was easy but building the teams was brutal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Mikal Bridges for $190.

(The next highest bid was $181.)

And that's basically my team. I'll need to fill out some rotation guys but looks like I'm done.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Played who go unsigned are free at the end? Or I guess $1?

Yes, with waiver system though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think the last time we did this the best deals were in the middle as the late draft stars ended up basically setting default prices. This year I think a couple of stacked first days ended up inflating the market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Personally I am just stoked for BYOGM v8

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dang, didn't think I'd get House for my bid.

Peanuts gag was indeed solid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Minnesota Timberwolves (Lockback) have signed Brandon Clarke for $47.

(The next highest bid was $41.)

YEEHAAAA

Only $1 guys from here on in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's a great deal on Simmons, and only 1 person bid more than $120 for Harden?

Deadbeat Dad posted:

The Boston Celtics (Salvor_Hardin) have signed Tony Snell for $5.

(The next highest bid was $1.)

drat, I thought my $1 had this one in the bag. Didn't think I'd get Frank though!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I ended up with a few more guys at $1 than ideal but if you're spending more than a couple bucks on your last 4-5 guys you're probably wasting your money. Tbh, there's perfectly fine rotation guys going undrafted or for $1.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sure, that’s fine from a conceptual standpoint but the reality is that there are people who now have the cash to pay their end of bench guys 2$ each, which means the people who can only bid 1$ won’t be able to get anyone they actually would want

Honestly, I kinda feel more limited by only being able to make 4 bids than I do by not being able to bid more. If I have to fill out my bench with undrafted I'd be ok with that at this point.

That said, I also tried to look at contracts last time and just times them by 3.3x but that was also wrong, guys who were good deals for 10-15 last time are not good deals at 40-50. I'm gunna crush this next year though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

I wouldn't want any guardrails so to speak.

Yeah, absolutely.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Only look at ppg cowards

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

WS also overvalues offensive rebounds and pure efficiency, but not as badly maybe

DWS also over values defensive rebounds, but there's not a great way of measuring defense from box scores other than trying to assign +/- to stats that kinda correlate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:siren: TRADE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

The Sacramento Kings(Doltos) have traded Khris Middleton ($250) to the Utah Jazz (habeasdorkus).

The Utah Jazz (habeasdorkus) have traded Brandon Knight ($1) to the Sacramento Kings (Doltos).

Doltos made out like a bandit, though he's gotta spend that money now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

While Doncic helped his team his rookie year Dallas still only mustered 33 wins, so it's not like he made them competitive. If we was on a actual competitive team they probably would have had to play him in a much smaller role. Usually it's the stuff that doesn't show on the box score that is a drag from rookies.

I mean, sure rookies can be good but you notice in all your examples none of them played a big roll on a team that was particularly successful.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

That's because high draft picks always end up on lovely teams that need more than a star to be competitive unless they got there by having their best player(s) miss the majority of the season

Good players come in late in the draft too, its not unusual at all. But it still usually takes them a season or two to get good or to play larger roles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, positive winshare doesn't mean you're good or that you're even worth your minutes. A team of guys who are at 0 winshare will go...0-82.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but those players are given lesser roles and given time to grow because they're drafted onto a team that doesn't need them to immediately contribute

...and why do you think those rookies are given lesser roles and time to grow? Do you think coaches and GMs are blind to their skills or do you think rookies tend to need time to grow and time to develop before they can be contributors on a competitive team?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think this is largely right. The biggest stuff is:

1. The physical tools to play an NBA season (which requires so much more endurance and resilience than anything else they've ever done). This is definitely true of players who may not even be done growing yet.

2. To be able to adjust to the speed of NBA opponents

3. To have the mental tools to adjust to a new role (you're probably not The Guy), the season grind, and to adjust to playing with people with 2x+ the years of basketball experience.

That's all stuff that takes time to get up to speed with.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Can you conditionally waive players? Like "I wish to claim X, if I get him, waive Y, otherwise keep Y."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm not really able to post much but the timberwolves will roll out:

Anthony Davis/Brandon Clarke/Mikal Bridges/Dinwiddie/Morris with Ziaire Williams spot starting when we want the great wing defense duo in the league, and a mixed bench.

Defense, shot creation from almost every position, superstar in Davis. I feel like this is a solid team.