Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Eh gently caress it I wanted to watch Peacemaker and the new season of Harley anyway, I’ll probably sub next month after my Disney+ runs out.

Oh man are you in for a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wow.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I don't know how to feel about this one. I'm sad and happy at the same time!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

That's a hell of a place to leave it.

Just...... god drat.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

well dang

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

I don't know how to feel about this one. I'm sad and happy at the same time!

:same:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jesus loving christ lmao

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

that was pretty hosed up

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Welp.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
what?????????????????????????

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
that's one way to one-up the evangelion scene

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

masterpine posted:

Those baby dino's are way too cute. They're gonna fuckin die man fuuuuuck

I kept waiting for this to happen as soon as they appeared all through naval Egyptian land, was absolutely NOT expecting they were going to do what they did.

I mean I was kinda hoping they would get together, I didn't think it would have been the loving of a LITERAL MELTING MAN WHO IS STILL SIZZLING dying and his dick didn't get burned off let alone still worked. I was really hoping for a call back when Spear would have hulked the gently caress out due to him drinking that potion that turned him into a Hulk was still within him in order to fight off the Surtur powered undead Chieftan. That and I was hoping ultimately they'd just be a roaming Conan family encountering other Hyborean type poo poo, or getting shuttled off to a different planet a la "Princess of Mars"

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 16, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've got a number of logistical questions that I don't frankly want answered but I wonder if the recent WB merger shenanigans played a part in this.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
I thought that the latest episode was pretty good, but the 23 minute run time harmed the pacing of the finale in my opinion. The ending felt too rushed and I think this would have benefitted from at least an additional episode or a longer total episode length.

In retrospect, The Primal Theory probably should have not made it in the final cut in favor of a stronger conclusion.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

That felt really rushed and kind of needlessly so. There were so many other points in their journey where they could have added "and they bone" that would have accomplished the same thing instead of burn victim hospice sex. I really loved everything else, but holy moly that was not what I was expecting.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Bodhidharma posted:

In retrospect, The Primal Theory probably should have not made it in the final cut in favor of a stronger conclusion.

That, or compress the Colossaeus trilogy into a two-parter. We probably didn’t need to spend quite so much time establishing that this boat is really, really big.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
sees a buddy on twitter complain about the finale being rushed (though add in that it's still better than how Samurai Jack ended)

"uh oh welp; hey actually watching the episode it doesn't feel that- :stare:

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm just going to pretend that it happened the previous night or anyone of those more appropriate moments. How strange a choice.

I do want to marvel at how this show portrays intelligence. I love the small moments of various characters figuring out a situation with tiny cues and expressions.

Man, the last few moments really leave a strange aftertaste.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

e: I'm just gonna spoiler this wall of text just in case, season finale thoughts:

The sex scene was weird and gross, but I'm not sure what else they could've done to make a quasi-happy ending. I interpreted Spear's life story drawing and his moments of thinking alone that he felt like he couldn't be domesticated. The flash-back we saw of him as a kid also showed that he was made chieftan (?) as a boy because he knows the magic of going berserk. He had a family and he lost them, he found a new family but maybe it was never quite the same. He seemed happy enough wandering around with Fang, and he was positively giddy about Fang having babies, but he was happy for his friend. And it's unclear if he ever had the hots for Mira, or if he wanted to help her for the sake of helping, and connecting with a human being.

If Mira and Spear had had sex earlier and become a couple, then Spear dying would've been a major bummer. It still was a bummer, but he saved Fang, and the story sort of wrapped up nicely in that he lived and died by the spear / ultra-violence, saved his friend(s) and brought Mira home to her family.

Pretty much every episode of this show was hosed up in some way, and it would've been tonally weird if the end was just everybody lives happily ever after in the garden of not-Eden. Or Barsoom.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 17, 2022

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I did laugh at the flaming dude getting punched so hard Satan dragged him back to hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Warbird posted:

I've got a number of logistical questions that I don't frankly want answered but I wonder if the recent WB merger shenanigans played a part in this.

It turns out that cured hide loincloths are super flame resistant :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That was great. the way I read it was the fire demon saw a new vassal of violence on earth, which is why he takes the Viking back to hell. Spear is the new god of violence on earth whose spirit will be passed on, as seen in Primal Theory.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

poo poo, man... I loved that.

There have been little glimpses of it through the whole show but that fireside dance scene really hit it home. Spear understands the world and nature and tangible things. He can grasp and understand placing importance on the moon and enjoying the communal actions of movement, but the abstraction of culture, of placing that reverence in another person through iconography is beyond him. I thought it was really interesting the way his father and the older generation of his early family were way more primitive. He's a step more advanced but knows he can not fit within a bigger group because that requires belief in larger concepts that he just cant grasp

Mira, looking at his art, gets that. Spear has reached his limit, he can not go on himself (even before getting crispified), her act was PrimalTM, he now goes forward and can fit into society through his children

gently caress. What a fuckin show man. Cleans the slate for another season but if thats all there is... perfect television.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I was still hoping for Spear to hulk the gently caress out from the time he drank that potion so we could get some primeval magic fight and THAT could have been what ultimately killed him instead of turning into a gasping piece of beef jerky.

I seriously hope this isn't the end of the show. Cause this would be the second time Genndy rushed an ending of an excellent series. Maybe it was Discovery wanting him to wrap it up since it was traditional animation, or maybe the guy beefs it at the finish line.

Either way I'm glad Fang's babies made it into adulthood and we have Spear Jr. aka Lil Atlatl

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Loved it, excellent series, no notes. I actually felt feelings Genndy, I had forgotten it was possible for tv to do that

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Here I thought that Spear was going to just about survive due to a salve or something and we'd be seeing a third season of scarred Spear having to deal with something.

In retrospect, Chernabog grabs Vidarr/Viking back down to Hell because he knows that Spear's mortally wounded and the Viking had his vengeance. Contract completed, your soul is mine motherfucker!

I don't regret any of the previous episodes, and wouldn't trade them. It's a shame if there isn't a third season due to a corporation eating itself, but I guess there's that other thing Tartakovsky was working on to look forward to if that wasn't caught up in the ongoing autocaniballism.

Edit: also I remember from a show a while ago about people looking into painting throughout the ages and they covered how the handprints kind of images were (probably) done by chewing up the pigment and meticulously spitting it out over the hand. It's neat how Primal covered that.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 17, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the show was always leading to this (well maybe not fighting killing a devil-man) but just that there was never a happy ending for Spear in the cards. He made friends/a found family but he was never gonna be domesticated and would always die in battle.

I even don't mind him hooking up with Mira and a flash-forward ending. I just wish they had hosed, you know, before he was on the verge of death covered in third-degree burns.

In retrospect, I really liked Primal Theory but I wish it had been cut in favor of a bigger build up and/or denouement. You know, again, some way to have Mira not gently caress a burn victim.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Last episode: Spear's death is heavily implied but never shown. Although it would be very tacky and probably unlikely, they could bring him back heavily scarred for a third season.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the last episode should have been split into 2, and it would have come together a lot better.

Granted I was thinking the opposite would happen, with Spear raising the baby dinos after the Chief kills Fang.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fun fact "Spear's Daughter" is voiced by Lilah Tartakovsky, which I assume is Genndy's daughter?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
A crazy end to a crazy story. Nice.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So no plans for future seasons yet but if it happens Genndy would like it to be an anthology type deal.

https://ew.com/tv/primal-creator-finale-uncertain-future/

quote:

So is the show specifically about Spear's daughter going forward? Or do you see Primal as becoming more about Spear's family?

I see it ending. [laughs] I don't want to do this story further. I feel like this season we've done it all, in a way. I want it to almost become an anthology show, where season 3 would still be called Primal, but with a different subheading. Low-dialogue, high-emotion, survival, rawness, visual storytelling: All that stuff, but with different characters. There's more things I want to do with Primal, not necessarily Spear and Fang. Maybe if there's a giant outcry, we'll continue the story with his daughter and Mira and the dinosaurs. I'd have to really think about it.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
The more I think about it the more I like Vidar getting dragged back to hell so quickly. He made a deal to kill Spear and when it became fact that Spear was going to die of his injuries the deal was complete. No time to savor your victory Vidar! Should have made that part of the deal if you wanted it!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Even though Chernobog is an "evil" deity (?) as presented, the ending also touched on cycles of vengeance and violence, and how it actually ended in this case. Though we don't know where Spear's afterlife is, but anyway.

Was there any "good" magic anywhere in this show? The witches' coven killed people to make babies for themselves, the ape-men used their magic potion for senseless violence, and while it wasn't established what exactly caused the zombie plague of madness, the creatures were definitely supernatural. Does the celtic healer-woman count?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

There was that one witch in the coven that eventually rebelled and sacraficed herself so Spear and Fang could get away. That's the only example I can think of.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm curious if the idea is that everybody's got their own religious afterlife or not. Vidarr got to see Valkyrie before he got snatched, so if they exist then Spear's got a pretty cool place to go to.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Spear doesn’t strike me as the most religious of men.

God, I keep thinking about the sex scene. It was so hosed up.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

goblin week posted:

God, I keep thinking about the sex scene. It was so hosed up.

yeah it was.

I have been trying to have a charitable view of the whole mess but just thinking about it makes my heart heavy. My assumption is that it was the product of trying to jam too much into one episode, but the internet at large either didn't notice, doesn't care, or thinks that what Mira did was fine and that's just weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Most of the things that happened in this show were not fine