Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Last Celebration posted:

I wonder if anyone ever made a Dark Souls mod that replaced the normal boss fight music with the composer’s usual bangers like this one…

...wait, Sakuraba did the Dark Souls OST!?

Then I was right, Sakuraba's problem with samey OSTs isn't his style, it's that he should be banned from ever using syth in his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sakurazuka posted:

Why would you ban him from the thing he does best

He should be banned from doing dull as ditchwater Tales soundtracks

Because I always felt that his dull and samey soundtracks were from using the same loving synths on everything I like his music but even outside of Tales is like, you could grab his SO music and put it in Valkyrie Profile or Tales.

Edit: He should be doing less battle themes and more Velvet themes that's what I say.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm still going on with Elden Ring. Just beat Rennala and met Ranni, so now I'm gonna go advance north and go to Mt. Gelmir for Boc's quest and then the capital to meet the Loathsome Dung Eater to get his puppet ashes

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arzaac posted:

It's not exactly Rarity's fault but she did get me thinking about it subconsciously

But I mean, what else would you expect from a Gamer

I said come in! posted:

Yeah these two got me back into playing FFXIV.

To be fair FFXIV is a memetic agent at this point thanks to the copypasta.

You know, that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has an expanded free trial through which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arzaac posted:

I can't get the free trial up to heavensward because I've already paid for a sub before. :sigh:

If you already payed for a sub you were already doomed as I will be when I resub for 6.2 a week late because family holidays

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I can forgive that opinion as long as it's like, referring to the 29 first levels.

If you think Titan's theme is bad then BOW DOWN OVERDWELLER UNDER THE WEIGHT

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

If there's something to say about Soken is that he's dedicated, he composed some of the most emotive songs in the game while battling loving cancer and getting chemo.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Soloing bosses is usually not common though
In main story trials all the time the npcs vaguely allude to forming parties or grabbing like-minded adventurers.

Hell, when you get to the very first bossfight in the ARR story (Ifrit) and you're stuck in a cave with nothing but the bossroom entrance there's even an NPC right there who is like "hey i found a secret path out you should go form a party to frag this boss and then come back"

Iirc a lot of those are added in the English localization, the other languages make no mention.

At the same time the English localization is meant to be as canon as the Japanese since they're done at the same time...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Waffleman_ posted:

Open world, three storylines to follow, one is the gym battles, no set order, big gimmick is crystals, I also think it's not turn based anymore.

Nah, it still is, people are misinterpreting the fact that in raids turns happen simultaneously now instead of having to wait.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

no offense to atelier fans but the fact they're yearly releases and look similar doesn't give me the best impression of the series

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arrrthritis posted:

Someone really into the Tales Of series please post your favorites from best to worst. My wife and I got into playing Tales of Vesperia yesterday and are having a pretty great time of it as a co-op experience, so if/when we finish that it would be good to know which game to move onto next kthx.

RIP Tales of Arise for not having co-op

From all Tales I've played, not best to worst but release order and mostly going from memory of my last playthroughs:

-Phantasia: it's dated but classic, play the PSX version though cause GBA is bad and the PSP version that makes spell not stop the action is untranslated. Has coop but requires specific accesories to use

-Symphonia: horribly dated by now, but does have a lot of character variety for its era. Has coop at least.

-Abyss: great plot and less dated than Symphonia but some characters are hit or miss and it's flooded with more missables than usual. Has coop.

-Vesperia: great characters but the plot falls harder than most games, also the combat system isn't fully unlocked until loving NG+. Has coop.

-Graces F: System is slightly different than the previous in this list because it was made by a different team that the previous ones, but it's fun. Plot is very anime but not in the creep sense, more in the dramatic sense. Has coop.

-Xillia: Was OK from what I remember? First female protag in Tales of (even if she gets shafted a bit), but it's also the beggining of replacing world maps and dungeons with lovely empty fields. combat mixes the Symphonia/Vesperia style with Graces. Has coop but having more than 2 players fucks up the battle system

-Xillia 2: bonkers multiverse plot, silent protagonist for some reason until NG+, lots of tonal shifts. Has one of the most OP protags in the series. Same coop as Xillia.

-Zestiria: story has the weirdest themes I've seen in a tales game, and the skill system is a loving grindy mess, but most characters are fun. even bigger and emptier maps though. Has coop but the camera is so bad it freaks out on it, and also the same problems as xillia on number of coop players.

-Berseria: favourite plot IMO. great combat system even if Velvet is as broken as Xillia's 2 protag. has coop and apparently good unlike Zestiria.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

haveblue posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I quit after credits both times I played through Vesperia

I'll admit I never finished it, but the skill system basically locks you out of several combat functions such as cancelling attacks, extra hits and chaining artes so the system isn't fully open untill you get every weapon mastered. Whereas modern games as Berseria basically unlock Break Soul and Overlimit early on and the additions are more SP/Artes instead of basic functions.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Healing in FF14 owns because you are also a decent dps for the most part, then you're stupid team makes a mistake and people start dying but don't worry cause your instant cast is off cooldown and you res the tank and group heal everyone and it feels great because you saved the day

Unless you play WHM, in which case the tank dies before your full heal takes effect and everybody dies.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The funniest part, as bad as the FFXIV Spoiler thread can be (cause I've never really seen anything that bad on the general thread that's not derivated from Spoiler Discourse), it's leagues ahead of the Official "This game sucks and the imperialist fascists are right actually" Forums.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The spoiler thread has the infamous "legitimately believes that monarchy is superior governance to democracy" poster though

Moofia posts in the OF so it still tracks (in fact he posted about how we are worse for discussing the game than reddit).

Pwnstar posted:

I love the FF14 poster who was mad that the game kept implying that your character loves to go on adventures because they roleplayed their character as a reluctant adventurer who just wanted to settle down. That poor catgirl who just wanted to go fishing and was forced to save the world 7 times...

Given Cythereal is a WoW refugee who hated the constant war storyline I can understand her. That said expecting a FF JRPG to not infinitely escalate is not very farsighted.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Had a loving big scare with my PC by completely freezing after quitting Elden Ring and having to manually turn it off.

istg if it's the loving Anti-Cheat I have to use to play online....

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Volte posted:

When I got my new gaming PC, starting up Elden Ring would cause the computer to shut off completely after a few seconds, as if the power was cut. The Windows error log was no help. It just said the computer was shut down unexpectedly, no stop code or anything. I pulled it apart, made sure the thermals were okay, tried replacing the SSD, still no luck. It turns out the problem was Easy Anti-Cheat somehow triggering a bug in the motherboard BIOS and flashing it to the latest version fixed the issue. This is with a Ryzen 5 5600X and MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard.

In my case it was big freeze after quitting, but thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to try and update my BIOS then and play offline until I do it.

Edit: now I'm glad that when I tried out Destiny 2 just to check it out I noped out when I saw the anti cheat program, gently caress this poo poo.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 7, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Comgrats Rarity, now you're a true FFXIV player.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Wait, people actually browse the web on their work PC?? I just use my phone.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

When I used my personal PC to remote I did at times browse on it while connected to my remote, but after they gave us the work laptops to connect I've prefferred to err on the side of caution since I work at a software company so our IT system knows its stuff.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Rating games is easy man.

If I have fun with it the game is good. If I don't have fun and drop it it's bad. If I have fun but drop it it's average until I pick it up again and have fun with it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RBA Starblade posted:

It looks better than FF14 at least

Looking better than a PS3 low-graphic-so-we-can-run-the-game-properly ain't much of an achievement.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only thing cutting the PS3 version did from a graphic standpoint was having bigger areas, textures are still pretty poo poo.

They are working on a higher texture/better models/better lightning for PS5/PC players though, and explicitly asked for people not to make comparisons laughing at the plot NPC with shiny graphics and the pixelated mess next to them (even if people will still do it not out of malice but because it's funny).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hahaha good joke- holy poo poo it's true, it surpassed ChrisLeon.

Also Heisenberg/Reader on 3rd place, I gotta question the taste of this fandom.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I got jumped by 5 hands from behind in a manor in Elden Ring and I think I have a new phobia now.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Welp, a way back I commented I thought Elden Ring's Anti-cheat had frozen my PC? Yeah, last night I turned it on and it inmediately froze as well, although this time the mouse worked until I tried plugging it off and on. Meaning it's not Elden Ring but something else.

Goddamnit it had to happen just before I go on holidays.

Edit: Kind of a bad snipe, please go back to forspeaking about Forspoken.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

exquisite tea posted:

I once had that same problem using a Bluetooth mouse and wireless gamepad. My solution was to no longer use Bluetooth with Win10.

Can't be, I always run wired. I've tried running antivirus (supposedly clean), running scanow/chkdsk, disabling all startup programs, taking off my controller until it loads and updating Windows, hopefully one of those things is the fix.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's also the fact that like, Berseria is a revenge story at its core. Revenge stories don't usually have happy endings.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FirstAidKite posted:

Idk about that, there are plenty of revenge stories that have happy endings and are essentially just like "hell yeah I got my revenge" and the protagonist is happy/satisfied.

True, even the Count of Monte Cristo, the revenge story by excellence, ends with the Count going "welp, I got my revenge, time to run to China with my girlfriend ex-slave who is younger than me but it's okay I freed her".

"Revenge is empty" is still a very comon theme in those stories, and given Velvet's character the ending makes sense. Still better than Eizen being condemned to turn into a dragon and get killed by Sorey.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Last Celebration posted:

I just pretend the Zestria anime I’ve never watched is canon wrt to that spoiler, wherein iirc they partially fix Eizen so he’s himself again but still a dragon.

I don't really remember, but I thought Eizen was ignored instead of killed in the anime?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

wait i thought veegee hated atelier????? is my reality lying to me?????

WaltherFeng posted:

Tales of Symphonia is the best Tales game in my adolescent heart.

I loved Symphonia 17 years ago, but I have to admit it did not age well gameplaywise. Storywise it didn't age because it was already old on release

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

????????? Where did this come from?? What????

Oh sorry, it was a joke based on someone who joked about how you hated Atelier just because you didn't play it. I did not mean to insult you and as a disclaimer every time I talk in lower caps is sarcasm.

Still a lovely joke im retrospect, sorry VG :(

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

Hahahah nooo please do not apologise! Good grief, you have done nothing wrong :)

I am playing it and I had a day of Metroidvanias rather than Atelier. I like it a ton and I hope to finish it in the next month :) I have just been slacking with it. I promised Cheetah to update my progress here!

Hahaha sorry myself, I'm the kind of person who apologizes a lot and also have a bleeding heart that feels terrible when hurting people (as long as they're not evil).

We all love videogames in the end! Except the bad ones*

*which videogames are bad is still on furious debate

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only thing VG will hate is FFXIV...

Hate that he can't play it 24/7, that is!!!!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Squeenix is notoriously unfriendly to add-ons (there's been a lot of drama on the latest hardcore content about people showing addons on stream when the policy is essentially "not allowed but we can't check your computer *wink* unless you cheat and are reported") but at the same time they'll try and implement popular UI addons ingame (like the check for TT cards and minions you already have)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Jay Rust posted:

Post your pre-2006 internet handle and we’ll see who’s the real dork

Nice try, there's a reason I use a different name in SA to hide my KH fanfic

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's my birthday and I've now gotten Xenoblade 3!

Except I still haven't finished 1 and 2. And I have Live a Live to finish. And Digimon Survive. And FEW TH.

Somebody help I need more hours a day :negative:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Propaganda Hour posted:

Happy birthday!

The ending of XBC2 is worth it

Thanks! Honestly it's kinda sad I dropped them: in 1 I got obsessed with checking guides to fill the affinity chart (ain't doing this now in hell) and in 2 I... just dropped it after the first major boss battle? It was not the anime™ unlike many, I have high tolerance for that stuff, like jesus the way people talk about XC2 on here one would think it's one of those "you should be jailed" games instead of just more overtly anime than 1 (which is still pretty anime).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also if it makes you feel better, not only are there less optional 70 dungeons than 60 (only 2 less but less), but ShB onwards they reduced the number of dungeons per patch so there's only 2 optionals that were in the X.0 patch and every other one is MSQ so it's the last time you have to do this hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The hilarious part is most analytics usually show people just go with the defaults, but in BG3 the default is a half-elf.

The true surprise is people not switching to Fighter as well for true basicism.