Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
What was the favorite addition or change they made to an MMO you were playing?

I used to play a completely unreasonable amount of RuneScape instead of filling out applications for schools or scholarships. And a lot of that time was spent making runes for magic, specifically nature runes, which could be used to transmute items into gold.
At first I was just selling the runes for a big profit, but later, I started cutting out middle men, and using them myself, adding more grinding to my life.
But either way, it was an extreme grind, and you could only make a few at a time. You had to mine a full inventory of rune essence. Then you have to go back and forth with an inventory full of these between a bank and a runecrafting altar. Again and again and again.
I was one of the very few people I knew to ever get runecrafting 99.

Well, eventually Jagex took pity on us, and introduced essence pouches. Now you could store far more rune essence per trip, and while the grind still remained, each trip was significantly more rewarding.

But what did they add to your MMO you significantly enjoyed? Or removed? A UI option or an item or a feature?
I'll also accept the opposite: something added or removed that massively ruined the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Ever quest pizza button obviously

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
When they put catgirls in Final Fantasy

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Serious answer, dungeon finder type systems where I can just click to queue into content I want to do instead of bouncing around from capital city to capital city yelling in chat.

Also, transmog / glamour systems.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I only played around with it a bit but the WoW Ascension private server gets rid of set classes and lets you pick from all abilities as you level up. New synergies and traits were added to encourage different mashups. They also do a draft mode where you pick one of a few randomly selected abilities/traits as you level up and try to make something with what you get. There are other challenges like nightmare mode (take way more damage and can only group with other nightmare players) and a hardcore mode you lose on any death. Breathed a lot of new life into the classic theme park MMO.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Serious answer, dungeon finder type systems where I can just click to queue into content I want to do instead of bouncing around from capital city to capital city yelling in chat.

Also, transmog / glamour systems.

Absolutely this. I want to play dress up and do dungeon/raid finder content that isn't necessarily easy but is definitely hard to outright fail at

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not exactly a sexy answer, but I'd say FF14 unifying its attack prompts. They used to be chosen for artistic decision; a fire-ish boss would have a fireball marker over targets but wouldn't tell you what it did this time and in a later fight it could be completely different. That looked nice, but over the last 3 or so expansions they've been standardizing markers for a lot of the common mechanics. Makes it a lot easier to sightread a fight, or go back to an old dungeon without asking "which color of slimes do we need to group up for again?"

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I would have to say the class system from Final Fantasy XIV. Being able to switch to any class on the same character just fixes so much of the bullshit of modern MMOs.

It has also ruined every other MMO for me though, so thanks for that Square....

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i really liked new worlds "exit game" ui feature

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I guess I'd have to go with Guildwars2 deciding that instead of every character having to carry around bundles of keys and currencies and other items alongside removing magic find from all gear and making it accountwide they just started making everything tied to your account and kept outside of the character's inventory space, made it a lot more friendly for swapping characters and made it a end-game goal to make the account-bound legendary weapons and armors for convenience instead of just something sparkly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That took a super long time to be implemented though-- I want to say late into HoT? And still the silverwastes shovels aren't shoved into your keyring

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Saalkin posted:

RIP

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

What was the favorite addition or change they made to an MMO you were playing?

I used to play a completely unreasonable amount of RuneScape instead of filling out applications for schools or scholarships. And a lot of that time was spent making runes for magic, specifically nature runes, which could be used to transmute items into gold.
At first I was just selling the runes for a big profit, but later, I started cutting out middle men, and using them myself, adding more grinding to my life.
But either way, it was an extreme grind, and you could only make a few at a time. You had to mine a full inventory of rune essence. Then you have to go back and forth with an inventory full of these between a bank and a runecrafting altar. Again and again and again.
I was one of the very few people I knew to ever get runecrafting 99.

Well, eventually Jagex took pity on us, and introduced essence pouches. Now you could store far more rune essence per trip, and while the grind still remained, each trip was significantly more rewarding.

But what did they add to your MMO you significantly enjoyed? Or removed? A UI option or an item or a feature?
I'll also accept the opposite: something added or removed that massively ruined the game for you.

Wow a bittervet that enjoyed a QoL upgrade to a skill they had already maxed, you might be a Runescape unicorn.

Played a lot of MMOs, but let's say for RS my favorite new feature was the coin pouch because having a pile of coins in my inventory that dropped on death led to multiple bankruptcies.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Saalkin posted:

I totally forgot about /pizza

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not as good as eq2's /pizza but it owned when the everquest 1 devs responded to players complaining about "this game has way too much fricken downtime" by adding a lovely minigame you could use to pass the time while regaining mana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YFeSnvYXFU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Kevin Bacon posted:

i really liked new worlds "exit game" ui feature

500% this..

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i played a bard in EQ, when they added /melody to make twisting somewhat automatic it saved my wrists

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

actually for real though, the feature that let bards play musical instruments in ffxiv is the best feature in any mmo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

clean ayers act posted:

i played a bard in EQ, when they added /melody to make twisting somewhat automatic it saved my wrists

I still refused to use it because "real Bards twist, they don't use bullshit macros!!!!"

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Blacula posted:

Wow a bittervet that enjoyed a QoL upgrade to a skill they had already maxed, you might be a Runescape unicorn.

Played a lot of MMOs, but let's say for RS my favorite new feature was the coin pouch because having a pile of coins in my inventory that dropped on death led to multiple bankruptcies.

Haha, it gave me more runes in less time - it was a win-win for me. I don't really care how it affected other people. I also don't know if it gave more exp or not.
I didn't have to waste as much time making teleportation runes and could use magic more without worrying about the cost.

Not my favorite feature, but I always think it's really hilarious that in RuneScape, shortly after the The Return of the King movie came out, they finally allowed players to change their characters' appearance, including their sex.
But then they also added a quest to go with the update which had a part with an NPC you needed to defeat who shouted, "Haha, no MAN can defeat me!" like the Witch King from the movie, and they forced you to become a female character to finish the quest, lol.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

SalTheBard posted:

I still refused to use it because "real Bards twist, they don't use bullshit macros!!!!"

yeah this was a prevalent thought in the various bard forums at the time.
i just told people i was still manually twisting and used it anyway

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

clean ayers act posted:

Go have fun on P99. Where patch notes include:

Removed the ability to delete spells from spell book because it was not available in era.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

clean ayers act posted:

I always wondered if the original Bard class design was to play one song constantly and twisting was a happy accident, or if twisting was the vision they had from the start

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's hard to think of any "feature" added to a game I've played, let alone a MMO, that sticks out as a favorite that doesn't amount to just number tweaks or small qol changes, mmo's don't change that much.

"That time in the game they reduced a grind by 10% and buffed my mains damage by 5% was the high point of my life" doesn't really sound great.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's hard to think of any "feature" added to a game I've played, let alone a MMO, that sticks out as a favorite that doesn't amount to just number tweaks or small qol changes, mmo's don't change that much.

"That time in the game they reduced a grind by 10% and buffed my mains damage by 5% was the high point of my life" doesn't really sound great.

The core loop I agree, but it seems like MMOs are always getting extra minigames or the like. I remember really enjoying Archaeology in WoW when it was added, for example. And Warframe adds so many new ideas that I'm sure somebody out there likes one of them more than "blitz down a hallway and blow everything up." Maybe.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The biggest change that I loved was making the companions multiclass in SWTOR. Bioware originally had each of your companions be locked into being just a tank or dps or healer.

Which sucked if the companion that was best to use was one you didn't like. They changed this in 4.0 and made it so you can freely select and switch which role your companion can be.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Those rune pouches in RuneScape were exactly that, and I was happy enough about it I made a whole thread around it! XD

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I feel like most MMOs I play/played started without an easily accessible Weekly/Daily Activity tracker and usually add it in at some point, which comforts my poor, addled brain into being 100% sure that I've gotten everything done and don't need to go into that location's hub and manually check for the umpteenth time.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I definitely hate when an MMO gradually develops a shitload of different activities over the course of a decade and there's no way of remembering them all, especially for F2P games which might only notify you of these activities with 30 popups the first time you ever log in. Or like, in BDO there's 80 different sorts of buffs you can get that all seem really important but its' hard to remember all of them. The most important 8 of them will have little icons at the top of the screen but it seems like those are just the ones that have some kind of cash shop thing associated with them so you'll remember to give them money. There's like 5 other types of buffs that anyone can get that you have to remember.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's what drove me nuts about Lost Ark. You had Abyssal Dungeons, Chaos Dungeons, Daily Ship activities, Weekly ship activities, daily stronghold events, weekly stronghold events, etc, etc, etc and it was just too much.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

SalTheBard posted:

That's what drove me nuts about Lost Ark. You had Abyssal Dungeons, Chaos Dungeons, Daily Ship activities, Weekly ship activities, daily stronghold events, weekly stronghold events, etc, etc, etc and it was just too much.

Yeah, getting a global launch for an established MMO is neat but then it hits you out of the gate with years of stuff layered in inscrutable ways.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Star Trek online rolled out an 'Endeavor' system, which I think was a really slick feature.

Effectively when you reach level cap, aside from all the various bolted on side-grade systems that enhance your character, you open up this endeavor system. Every day you get 3 quests of a small rotating list- usually stuff like "do 500,000 phaser damage in space combat" or "Kill 30 borg" or so on. Doing all the quests together usually takes 30-40 minutes a day if you're really serious about it, none of it really gated in terms of gear or complexity. Each of those add endeavor xp to your character- you can earn about 10,000 a day. And every 20,000 endeavor xp you earn a small account-wide bonus. Those bonuses are usually like "+2% bonus to all energy damage" or "+.5% critical chance"... and you can at this point earn around 750 endeavor credits...which can take 3-4 years.

It's a nice, time gated but gradual enhancement that encourages regular but not obsessive play.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 17, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
that reminds me: city of heroes sidekicking. I actually don't remember much about it, just you could play with friends even if they weren't your level or near your level.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I am being to Negative for this threat ---

WildStar Housing was Epic and really made the game last far longer then it should have!

PyRosflam fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 17, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I played the beta for Wildstar and I thought that game was going to be something special...and it was just for all the wrong reasons :-D

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
dark souls like invasions into other players dungeons

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm surprised I have not heard of anyone trying to run private wildstar servers but with the jank removed or retuned, probably a sad moment for a world designer in a game to know the place they spent years designing would be shut down forever within a year of it going out to everyone.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Having xp still matter after max level which was in swtor but removed for some reason but I've found it's also in guild wars which is neat.

Transmog/glamour like others have said, dress up is kinda like the best thing about mmo's.

Oh in ff14 when they started adding in being able to do dungeons with npc's was the best thing, sure it was slower but I didn't care it took some social pressure off. Which I found was also in some swtor dungeons and I enjoy that a lot.

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021
Stat based item requirements instead of level based. this alone made me pour soooooo many hours in Anarchy Online trying to min-max(twink) my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SalTheBard posted:

I always wondered if the original Bard class design was to play one song constantly and twisting was a happy accident, or if twisting was the vision they had from the start

Original intent behind bards was to play 1 song at a time.

A lot of everquest was the devs responding to players doing things they did not expect, basically classic -> Luclin/PoP was a lot of learning on both sides.