Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
While that's certainly his character arc, I don't think the Twelfth Doctor starts out as "unkind" so much as "actively horrible, borderline cruel". The sequence where he harasses the homeless man is, honestly, incredibly unlikable. As is his treatment of that doomed soldier in Into The Dalek -- and those are just the two that have stuck in my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Capaldi was definitely written as "the rear end in a top hat Doctor" at first but I think his final season pulled away from that, and not as intentional character growth. It feels more like Moffat getting the response to Capaldi and deciding to tone it down a lot.

I think it's both. There's a distinct redirection between seasons towards more of a daggy dad midwife crisis characterisation, but his first season does see a slight softening starting from the ending to the mummy story.

He's not so much in the next two stories though, so I don't think the characterisation is quite as pronounced before the finale comes along. But, I dunno, I feel like it's there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Even the first episode has that ending with him begging Clara to see him and still be his friend.

That scene's towards the start of the episode, and it (the scene) ends with Clara saying that she doesn't know if he's good or not.

At the end of the episode she, unprompted, says she still doesn't know the answer to the Doctor's question, but she says she believes he'll try to be one anyway.

Gaz-L posted:

The third episode of his first season is the Robin Hood one, which ends with that speech pointing out how the Doctor is basically Robin, a person of privilege moved to action by compassion for others.

During which both the Doctor and Robin explicitly reject the idea that they're heroes, and instead assert that they're trying to be good despite an essential arseholishness.

My point being, the question of the Doctor's morality is very much in doubt throughout the season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That season generally has some hosed up morality going on. Remember how Danny did a war crime and the way the show treated it like it was his tragedy?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's also got that excellent "Ginger beer! GINGER BEER!" joke, and the hilarious villain breakdown towards the end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Hey guys heads up Gareth Roberts wanted to be part of 9/11 but he couldn't because he slept in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

The Fugitive Doctor could be good, but there will be lot of useless background mystery about her because even Chibnall didn't seem to know what her actual story was. I think it would take away from the stories. :shrug:

Unless Big Finish just commits and tries to canonize her a place in the canon and either lean into or retcon the Timeless Child stuff. But they will be hesitant to for fear the tv show might decide to pick her up again and throw a different backstory in.

Depends on who's writing / producing the series. If it's someone like James Goss or Guy Adams, they'll go for it whole hog. If it's David Richardson or Nick Briggs it'll be something far, far more conservative.

Honestly, my money's on it being Richardson (boooo!), but we'll see.

Edit: Looked it up, it's Richardson on Jo Martin, and a fresh producer on Dhawan (though there's an interview floating around where she talks about how she largely takes her cues from what Nick Briggs says). So I wouldn't expect these to be good. Ultimately it depends on the writers.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Emerson Cod posted:

anything you might have questions about I can answer.

Have you spoken to a medical professional yet?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coward posted:

E: and to contribute to actual Who chat, did anyone else feel that Dhawan's Master was a kind of attempted translation of the Joker into Doctor Who? His mannerisms, some of the costume design, right down to his TARDIS (looking like a police box again for no reason) having "Hahaha" printed on it?

Yeah, but tbh I think Missy got there first ngl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Master's done way worse genocides before. e.g. a quarter of the universe melting in Logopolis.

This one was against time imperialists who were mean to his best friend, so comparatively it's pretty chill.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The first set of these has a reputation for being very very bad. This is a trailer for the second set, but it's apparently not much better.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

I just found the first set really hard to keep track of. Felt purposely written in a very confusing way. Everything else was fine and Colin was great as he always is but the plot was a bit all over the place.

What did you think of the Not My President bit in the third episode?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

I honestly don't remember that bit.

Wish!Romana says it when she's being tortured.

It sort of opens the door on a very weird reading of the script that it can't possibly support, not that the script's logic holds together in the first place. e.g. a single man holding an entire planet hostage with a pistol.

He's not even pointing the pistol at anything in particular, he's just "I've got a pistol, I'm in charge now" and the fascist government just rolls over for him, lmfao.

It's so bad I feel like I've got to be misremembering it, but it's apparently what happens.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Is this based on that twitter thread by Jamie?

(I'm in a discord with the guy and I suspect he's, like, a clinical narcissist.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He did some uncredited writing for one of the Torchwood boxsets as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Besides Barrowman and Clarke, has anyone else become problematic?

Oldmate Adam.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

In regards to content, the NAs settle after maybe a dozen into your standard fake swears (Cruk!) but for a while it's a complete free for all. You got F-bombs dropping left, right, and center, and presumably somebody at the BBC had to come in and say, "Uh, so that show that ended with the nice man who plays the spoons and Sophie Aldred having an adventure with people in animal costumes? Maybe don't have the tie-in book discuss how the sex worker cleans her mouth after giving a BJ, thanks."

This never really happens with the NAs, and they're much better for it IMO. The EDAs went through a period that was a bit like this, but they eventually went back to being more blatant with their themes -- I think the only real difference is that they don't have as much explicit swearing; they still deal with issues like drug dependency, sex and sexual violence, the psychological effects of violence and committing murder, etc. There's a lot of good stories that came out of it as a result, though a lot of poor ones too. But that's the nature of an anthology series.

These were stories for adults, that -- correctly, tbh -- assumed that their audience was also mostly adults and should probably be consuming media for adults as a result. The movement back to trad storytelling was ultimately what killed off my interest in the range.

Rochallor posted:

She is a) a trigger-happy cop, which fair enough sounds a lot worse in 2022 than in 1995, b) extremely racist against aliens, even after learning that the memory of her partner getting shot by an alien was an implanted one, c) occasionally expresses sympathy for the Third Reich, and d) when stranded in the 1790s, attempts to contact the Doctor by shooting a man named Lincoln with the working knowledge that the TARDIS only lands near famous people and consequently this must be Abraham Lincoln's grandfather and the Doctor will stop it from happening (in fairness to Roz, this is hilarious).

In Christmas on a Rational Planet, the same book where she tries to kill Lincoln, a character known as Bad Roz shows up who is supposed to be Roz as she was before she met the Doctor, and... well Lawrence Miles is either a very bad writer or a very good writer, because she's pretty indistinguishable from 'Good' Roz.

Lawrence Miles really hated Roz -- because she's not just a racist cop, but she's also royalty -- and characterised her accordingly. I wouldn't say her appearance there is representational of her as a character all over, though she very much is intentionally a difficult character and she does undergo character development as the series progresses.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody can hopefully correct any details I have wrong, but I believe there were issues around overworking the cast and crew which Eccleston I believe tried to prevent by putting his foot down and refusing to normalize working beyond the maximum hours that are supposed to be allowed on set, thinking that without him they'd have no choice but to pull back. Instead, they just worked around that by scheduling Billie Piper's stuff for those extra hours of filming, and she was too new/inexperienced in acting to feel confident standing up against that type of thing. I believe Eccleston also wasn't overly happy with the way the production ran in general, he'd come in with different expectations from his experience of working with RTD on The Second Coming.

Beyond that though, in the last couple of years it's come out that Noel Clarke acts very inappropriately on set (not just on Doctor Who, but also on his own productions where he was the driving force behind some apparently very misogynistic behavior), and John Barrowman had a "hilarious" reputation for just taking his cock out and slapping it around on people's shoulders and near their faces.

Oh yeah, and didn't Eccelston end up developing anorexia because of the pressure put on him by the show?

And there's that burning couch incident, some sort of stunt gone wrong. I dunno the exact details though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What I've heard is that there were some big issues, but no one's talking. I know a little bit about what happened with the Easter special though -- they cut a lot of scenes in the villiage, and then redubbed all the Asian guest stars because there were concerns about the representation involved. From what I've heard, the original cut had the actors speaking with thick Chinese accent English.

The Sea Devil masks were originally meant to move, and they didn't, so the CGI was a last minute solve.

There are probably a few more things, I'll see what I can dredge up.

Edit: the sea devil masks were apparently being reworked mid production, before they apparentlysettled on the CGI compromise last minute. The masks from Orphan 55 were also apparently a massive ball ache.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 30, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for this. Though they've gone from 12 episodes to 9, unfortunately.

The last two seasons were really great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I'm seeing the site saying each set is four discs?

Oh sweet, hopefully that's correct (there have been errors on the site a lot recently -- e.g. Scott Handcock being credited twice as the script editor for the first of the new season sets).

I was basing my deduction off price comparison.

BTW, someone really needs to go through and fix the BF credit listings generally. There's a deadnamed author and everything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I would email their customer service and let them know

They've been informed. They haven't changed anything.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly, I think there are probably six or so good episodes in the Chibnall run, almost all of them in the first season. Rosa, the P'Ting one, Demons of Punjab, It Takes You Away, The Witchfinders, and the Mary Shelley cyberman one. Mmmmaybe Orphan 55 as well.

LividLiquid posted:

You threw shade at one of the only good episodes of his whole run.

Which one? Demons or Rosa?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Rosa would have been better if the villain hadn't been somebody from Captain Jack's era who was still specifically racist against black people at a time when most humans were accepting of interspecies sex. It implies that this one sort of prejudice is so bad and ingrained into humanity it will never go away. Which is a pretty hopeless thing.

Doesn't most Doctor Who kind of imply this? From humans oppressing the Ood, Cassandra in The End Of The World, extreme class societies on Kaldor, humans being locked in alien miniscopes so that other humans can gawk at them... prejudice, slavery, stratified societies etc. etc. seem to be things that most civilisations struggle with.

Beyond anything else, I don't mind the idea that this fictional future is still racist because I don't see it as a statement about the human race in the future. It's a statement about the human race in the present. Contemporary science-fiction reflects contemporary anxieties, and in the current moment we're just not doing enough to support minority rights, poverty, environmental collapse, decolonisation, etc. etc.

There's space in both Rosa, and in its far bleaker cousin Orphan 55, to acknowledge that humanity can change and can create a better future for itself. But episodes that act like an anti-racist state is an inevitable endpoint of human development seem deeply wrong. I find them the opposite of reassuring.

Doctor Who should be about humanity combatting its darker impulses IMO, and shouldn't be about the assumption that humanity will just sort itself out like some sort of "awh he's alright really" absolute fail son. Leave the escapist visions of a comforting utopian future to the point where we deserve to think about that kind of thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Day of the Doctor?

I've not seen it since it aired, but I thought it was only okay.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've really been craving Voyage of the Damned lately. One of the single best viewing experiences I've ever had was watching that with friends at about 2am. I went in hating the thing, they loved it, and I completely changed my opinion by the end of the night. Just a lot of fun.

If we're talking bad Christmas specials, Wardrobe is trying way too hard and is just boring besides.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Edward Mass posted:

Eve of the Daleks is pretty strong. Except for that weird guy who sees the building explode in the distance. What's up with that guy?

He's from The Woman Who Fell To Earth.

Don't ask me why they brought him back though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Framboise posted:

If the War Doctor is a "forgotten" doctor, does that mean the Eighth Doctor (who I had understood as the one who fought in and ended the Time War) regenerated into the War Doctor, and then the Ninth after that? Wouldn't that make the Ninth the Tenth, and so on, and therefore mean the Doctor after the one Matt Smith plays will be the final possible regeneration? Something just isn't adding up for me here.

It's worse; at the point of the show you're in, there are actually two Tennant incarnations.

So the Eighth Doctor is currently the 8th, the War is 9th, Eccelston is 10th, Tennant is 11th until Journey's End Part 2 and then he's 12th, making Matt Smith the 13th.

BooDooBoo posted:

9 was newly regenerated, because he saw his face for the first time in Rose, so he couldn't have fought in the time war.

The current statement from the production crew is that this isn't the case.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Giving one person too much creative freedom is how we get the stuff the franchise doesn't need, like The Timeless Children, or the 'Time Lords are in eternal fighting with ancient hyper intelligent mammoths that existed before the universe' or 'half human on my mother's side' kind of ideas.

Isn't it also how we got The Deadly Assassin?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

In Lawrence Miles and Lance Parkin's interpretation of Doctor Who lore, before the Time Lords established the web of time, they were in conflict with the Original Mammoths, who were a race of interdimensional mammoths who had great cities carved into their tusks. They survived through human's race memory of Earth Mammoths, and one was reborn and captured in the court of George III, managed to anchor itself in the version of reality where the Eighth Doctor cut out his second heart and then the Mammoth became an aspect of The Enemy, the abstract concept that the Time Lords fought in the War in Heaven timeline.

It's....a lot.

Uhhh I don't think this is quite true tbh.

My understanding is that Miles just wrote a deliberately bizarre couple of lines about Mammoths in a book back in the 90s, and occasionally had mammoths turn up as a symbol of the universe's dimming irrationality in other works since. There really wasn't any lore to it.

Then some dude wrote a bunch of lore about them about four years ago and had them published in some fan anthologies which Miles doesn't really get involved with -- to say less of Parkin.

Current generation Faction Paradox stuff is made by second generation fans, and some of them can get really high on how loopy and weird the series supposedly is, and write accordingly. The original material was not that weird, where as this current stuff is kinda hacky ngl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the modern series took a lot from Miles, and from Alien Bodies in particular. The Time War started there, for instance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Pertwee era is super guilty of editing in new footage in the cliffhanger reprise that the audience just didn't see, the baldface cheats.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The UNIT family is a bit eugh to me, but Series 7 is really good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

"Sick of it"? She literally just wrote a River Song novel!

I think that was Jaqueline Rayner :ssh:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That one gets referenced a lot.

BF has a story that explains where the Aikido comes from, because of course they do, and apparently the second doctor learnt it during the Olympics or something

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Had a listen to a companion chronicle just, The Scorchies. This is a range that can be really experimental, but The Scorchies is really, really out there. Jo Grant gets abducted by a race of aliens who travel the galaxy through television signals, wiping out planets, appearing as puppets putting on a light entertainment show.

Obviously, it's a riff on The Muppets, but they don't go too on the nose with the parallels, instead going for the general feel of 70s Saturday variety shows. And it's a musical! It's so utterly strange that it demands your attention. It doesn't feel that much like 70s Who, but I don't think this could be done back then. And Katy Manning throws herself into it wonderfully.

I appreciate that the script doesn't make too fine a point about it -- anything more would be awful -- but I appreciate the joke about how badly early kids programmes handled race (with the Cool Cat character).

It's a really great story generally; it's very very funny, the sound design and music are excellent (as are both the songs). It's all very cheerful and hosed up. Clearly, clearly influenced by Ben Edlund's Smile Time from Angel, but not a bad thing IMO.

BF have done a handful of sequels to this (and a cameo in a Torchwood story) and they're all pretty good too. James Goss is just a great, great writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYeCafn-uuk

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not before playing it up to an absurd degree though -- The Wedding of River Song is bigger and more aggrandizing than anything anyone's ever done for the character.

And there are similar moments throughout even the Twelth Doctor era.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the BBC Eigthth Doctor, after some character development, ends up being the most violent Doctor. He shoots a dude in the head and kicks another into lava. One of his companions cleaves a guy's head apart with an axe.

They all deserve it though, and it's a fairly well done arc.

The Richards era is one of my favourites, I should go back and reread them some time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I think I have a problem

You do if none of them are Torchwood. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It should be noted that while some writers from the Virgin Books and BBC Books DW ranges (Virgin did mainly the still-current-at-the-time 7th Doctor novels, and BBC Books handled the then-recent 8th Doctor stuff just after the TV Movie aired; both publishers also did "Past Doctors" novels, with 7 joining the ranks of the BBC Books PDA range) often contributed to Big Finish when they got the DW license, others didn't, including Lawrence Miles (sometimes referred to as "Mad Larry" in these threads).

Miles owns. He wasn't wrong about BF spelling doom for the novels, as sales plummeted during rhe Gary Russel BF era (though he did work for BF on several occasions). He's a fractious dude with mental health issues, but his writing is tight and interesting, and is probably still one of the most influential writers from that period, and he got on with a subset of writers within the range -- many ideas from the RTD and Moffat eras came from him originally. (Moffat's acknowledged the influence, I believe, while RTD has not -- but Miles was the actual guy behind the Time War).

I don't think Miles is edgy so much as a scab picker; a lot of his writing was an attempt to critique qnd address the racial / colonial aspects of Doctor Who. YMMV on how successful he was, but he and many of the writers who've worked with him have, unarguably, made the most sustained attempt to critique Who's entanglement in Whiteness. (Ironically, he hated both the PoC companions he wrote for, citing Roz as a fascist -- not wrong -- and Anji as a Tory -- ditto -- and so did his best to avoid them).

But yeah, a lot of the work written by him and inspired by his stuff was an attempt to grapple with cultural hegemony by durectly targeting Doctor Who continuity, on the logic that the series was inherently compromised thanks to the environment in which it was created (again, not wrong). In that sense, he's similar to Alan Moore, in that he had an anarchist's interests in addressing the formal conventions of the series he was so fascinated with, with an aim to reconstruct texts rather than just deconstruct then. For instance, a lot of his works imply that the Timelords adherence to continuity and the unchanging skein of history ("the web of time") is actually just propaganda. It's a way of cementing their colonisation of the universe, and all their bluster about protecting the universe from collapse is total bullshit destined to maintain their powerbase. It's Manifest Destiny on a universal scale.

Killing the Third Doctor in What Happened on Dust wasn't, IMO, edge for the sake of edge, but an attempt to talk about continuity, narrative, shared worlds, and the way societies create and disrupt history, etc. It was meant to spawn a bunch of really cool things -- a fourth Doctor adaptation of Planet of The Spiders based on Planet of the Apes (literally, "Beneath The Planet Of The Spiders").

He was also visionary, in his own way. This Town Will Never Let Us Go is all about how depressing algorithm generated storytelling is, snd his fear that Hollywood was going to become obsessed with fracnhises and remakes, and it came out in 2003.

Cool guy. A difficult person -- beyond also being a "difficult" person -- and a very angry writer, but also a strong leftist with a belief in challenging the system and standing up for what he believed it.