Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

Extremely terrible idea: Fourteen decorates the TARDIS exterior like a nerd decorates the back of their laptop.

It starts with a St John's Ambulance logo, but every single story they add another sticker from wherever they went until eventually you can only vaguely tell the space under them is meant to be blue.

Finally they clear it all away, and discover graffiti reading,"PEX LIVES!" :aaa:

Infinitum posted:

The inverted colours on the sign :allears:

So focused on trying to find the St. John's logo I completely missed that! :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Extremely terrible idea: Fourteen decorates the TARDIS exterior like a nerd decorates the back of their laptop.

It starts with a St John's Ambulance logo, but every single story they add another sticker from wherever they went until eventually you can only vaguely tell the space under them is meant to be blue.

the tardis could use some wheels. even though it can go anywhere, a lot of the time they still end up going to it. if the tardis had wheels they could use a sonic app to have it drive around to be close when they need to run for it and also it won't show up itself for whatever reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

the tardis could use some wheels. even though it can go anywhere, a lot of the time they still end up going to it. if the tardis had wheels they could use a sonic app to have it drive around to be close when they need to run for it and also it won't show up itself for whatever reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s literally Jodie’s TARDIS still, they’ve not made a new one?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/badwolfarchives/status/1600446187051446272?s=46

Really hope it’s 8x60, but I’ll honestly take 8x45 if RTD can deliver a proper schedule.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No gap year thank you sweet gentle Jesus.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just hope they don't try and make every episode a bigger and bigger escalating deal, I want some episodes where they fart around history and basically nothing happens, but in a chill way, not in the "a bunch of destructive stuff happened but also it's nothing and doesn't matter"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Khanstant posted:

I just hope they don't try and make every episode a bigger and bigger escalating deal, I want some episodes where they fart around history and basically nothing happens, but in a chill way, not in the "a bunch of destructive stuff happened but also it's nothing and doesn't matter"

The story that's widely considered the best Classic DW story ever, namely "The Caves of Androzani", literally had no stakes greater than "The Doctor and Peri have to get off of Androzani Minor alive ". RTD's constantly escalating stakes at the end of every season got to be rather grating and made each successive finale more and more ridiculous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't that widely considered good because of the view while the Doctor is regenerating?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Khanstant posted:

I want some episodes where they fart around history

The return of the Slitheen confirmed as season villain arc

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

Isn't that widely considered good because of the view while the Doctor is regenerating?

Well, people aren't fans of Planet of Fire very much

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rhyno posted:

If that was the case, then the bulk of the Sixth Doctor's first season must just be considered the all-time greatest season of DW ever

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I assume the Tennant specials took some of the budget of a full 10 episode season + Xmas special

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

The_Doctor posted:

I assume the Tennant specials took some of the budget of a full 10 episode season + Xmas special

Disney's footing the bill so it's probably more just about people's availability in this case

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If that was the case, then the bulk of the Sixth Doctor's first season must just be considered the all-time greatest season of DW ever

i'm sorry are you implying that it isn't?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Rhyno posted:

i'm sorry are you implying that it isn't?

I tried rewatching it last year and I couldn't even make it through Vengeance on Varos

Colin Baker really got the short end of the stick in just about every way during his run on DW

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You clearly didn’t get the DVD with extra features (with even more of Six!)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Some call it a classic!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Some call it a classic!

i kept trying to make a GIF of that but it looked like poo poo with every attempt.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's no use, I've locked all the doors!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Timelash is a classic though

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rhyno posted:

Timelash is a classic though

Tbf classic doesn't designate quality, so true.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timelash is so great you have to watch it in one setting. You can try to pause, but those who do, do it with a screeeeeeam!

Actually if you think about it, they really got some great scenery chewing guest stars to go up against Colin, like Paul Darrow and Brian Blessed. Casting was in point in that era!

Also Timelash is the story that got me hooked on Who. I'd seen The Three Doctors one random afternoon when I was like 7, but when I was 9 or so I had a tv in my room. I was already heavy into Star Trek since the previous summer, and was flipping around the channels at 9pm when I hit PBS and saw this sci-fi show with giant crystals and HG Wells and I immediately realized this needed to be paid attention to. Started watching every week and buying any books I could find. Since then, my two favorite franchises bar none are ST and DW, nearly 40 years on. Still feels like yesterday.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1601547285292204032

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I just read through the whole Flux affair and holy moly is that indicative of the Chibnall series?

It loving sucked!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

FilthyImp posted:

the Chibnall series?

It loving sucked!

Fixed that for you :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had completely forgotten about Barbara's reaction to being 550 years old :allears:

Also "What do you think it is? A space helmet for a cow!?!" :lol:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just figured out how RTD is goint to top Moffat's 50th for the 60th.

The first anniversary special was the 10 year.

He'll hearken back to that.

The 14th Doctor
meets

The 10th Doctor
meets

The Metacrisis Doctor

in

THE THREE DOCTORS II
starring

David Tennant!

:haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

I just figured out how RTD is goint to top Moffat's 50th for the 60th.

The first anniversary special was the 10 year.

He'll hearken back to that.

The 14th Doctor
meets

The 10th Doctor
meets

The Metacrisis Doctor

in

THE THREE DOCTORS II
starring

David Tennant!

:haw:

i fuckin hate you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FilthyImp posted:

I just read through the whole Flux affair and holy moly is that indicative of the Chibnall series?
Not really. Chibnall's first season is bad in very different ways, for example.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1st season was basically an Afternoon Special each week.

Did you know racism is bad?
*stares directly at the camera*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You threw shade at one of the only good episodes of his whole run.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Honestly, I think there are probably six or so good episodes in the Chibnall run, almost all of them in the first season. Rosa, the P'Ting one, Demons of Punjab, It Takes You Away, The Witchfinders, and the Mary Shelley cyberman one. Mmmmaybe Orphan 55 as well.

LividLiquid posted:

You threw shade at one of the only good episodes of his whole run.

Which one? Demons or Rosa?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rosa. Demons is the other one.

At least, the other one that didn't have to pull most of the living Doctors out of its rear end to land.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rosa would have been better if the villain hadn't been somebody from Captain Jack's era who was still specifically racist against black people at a time when most humans were accepting of interspecies sex. It implies that this one sort of prejudice is so bad and ingrained into humanity it will never go away. Which is a pretty hopeless thing. Also that changing one specific part of the civil rights movement would be a butterfly effect that would usher in White Utopia.

Can't get behind the Mary Shelley one due to the retcon of one of the great companions of Eight.

Demons of the Punjab and The Witchfinders were fantastic though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Rosa would have been better if the villain hadn't been somebody from Captain Jack's era who was still specifically racist against black people at a time when most humans were accepting of interspecies sex. It implies that this one sort of prejudice is so bad and ingrained into humanity it will never go away. Which is a pretty hopeless thing.

Doesn't most Doctor Who kind of imply this? From humans oppressing the Ood, Cassandra in The End Of The World, extreme class societies on Kaldor, humans being locked in alien miniscopes so that other humans can gawk at them... prejudice, slavery, stratified societies etc. etc. seem to be things that most civilisations struggle with.

Beyond anything else, I don't mind the idea that this fictional future is still racist because I don't see it as a statement about the human race in the future. It's a statement about the human race in the present. Contemporary science-fiction reflects contemporary anxieties, and in the current moment we're just not doing enough to support minority rights, poverty, environmental collapse, decolonisation, etc. etc.

There's space in both Rosa, and in its far bleaker cousin Orphan 55, to acknowledge that humanity can change and can create a better future for itself. But episodes that act like an anti-racist state is an inevitable endpoint of human development seem deeply wrong. I find them the opposite of reassuring.

Doctor Who should be about humanity combatting its darker impulses IMO, and shouldn't be about the assumption that humanity will just sort itself out like some sort of "awh he's alright really" absolute fail son. Leave the escapist visions of a comforting utopian future to the point where we deserve to think about that kind of thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Astroman posted:

Rosa would have been better if the villain hadn't been somebody from Captain Jack's era who was still specifically racist against black people at a time when most humans were accepting of interspecies sex. It implies that this one sort of prejudice is so bad and ingrained into humanity it will never go away. Which is a pretty hopeless thing. Also that changing one specific part of the civil rights movement would be a butterfly effect that would usher in White Utopia.

so long as Republicans draw breath, racism will live on

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, we can't assume that racism will be gone in the future. We can hope it will be but if the last several years have taught me anything it's that irrational hatreds have a way of clinging on for dear life.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I worry we don't have a prayer of fixing that problem until we all collectively decide capitalism sucks first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

LividLiquid posted:

I worry we don't have a prayer of fixing that problem until we all collectively decide capitalism sucks first.

It's this and it's the same deal with climate change too