Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Eggnog, or maybe Horchata or something else. It's the best festive drink because when you get shithouse drunk at someone's house, they'll smile and wag their finger and say "looks like someone's been on the nog!" instead of calling you an alcoholic. Alton Brown makes a good one but store bought is fine for me if you top it up with rum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

kecske posted:

Eggnog, or maybe Horchata or something else. It's the best festive drink because when you get shithouse drunk at someone's house, they'll smile and wag their finger and say "looks like someone's been on the nog!" instead of calling you an alcoholic. Alton Brown makes a good one but store bought is fine for me if you top it up with rum.
I was at least 25 before I knew eggnog could have alcohol in it. Probably 30 before I realized that was actually the default originally and the child version I enjoyed was an abomination

Horchata is the best drink the rest of the year when The Good Nog is unavailable. Actually I probably like "horchata purchased in a tiny run-down Mexican restaurant in Chicago" more than nearly any eggnog, but they are both truly princely drinks

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
You can freeze eggnog in the winter and thaw it out for when you want something refreshing in August.

If you ever frozen cum for later, it keeps pretty much the same way.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nog em up

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I have converted to coquito for a boozy holiday drink.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Nog barfs up mighty fine on another person's table

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Apprentice Dick posted:

I have converted to coquito for a boozy holiday drink.

I made coquito this year for a party. It was super good, but the recipe recommended that you puree shredded coconut in it. My cheap blender wasn't up to the job, so it came out a little chewy.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I like the How to Drink recipe for its simplicity, but I upped some of the spices like cinnamon and nutmeg and added some orange zest while it was cooking. Coco Lopez is definitely needed for that recipe though.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Shan't self dox by posting my local eggnog.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

looking forward to having a traditional christmas nogloaf

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I don't think I've ever had nog thats aged, it's always made up and served right away. Is old nog > new nog?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

kecske posted:

I don't think I've ever had nog thats aged, it's always made up and served right away. Is old nog > new nog?

100%

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I’ve always wondered what E.G.G.N.O.G is short for

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

nom epique posted:

Shan't self dox by posting my local eggnog.

there's only one town that i know of with quote unquote "local" eggnog. ur fuckin toast op, consider urself doxxed ;)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
if anybody wants op's social security number or to learn what brand of local eggnog he's referring to, you can pm poster, Smugworth

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Eggnog is disgusting and I think less of people who enjoy it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
egg creams > egg nog

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

if anybody wants op's social security number or to learn what brand of local eggnog he's referring to, you can pm poster, Smugworth

Shan't dox my fellow poster

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
I just bought some 'nog from Kroger and mixed a shot of brandy into my mug. The brandy floated gently on top of my 'nog until I mixed it with a fork. ❤💕 the nog

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nog em UP

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I made about a half gallon of it the other night from scratch, using the Joy of Cooking recipe and a half bottle of cheap bourbon. I've done it before salmonella style, but this time I heated the eggs to 175 degrees and it turned out great. I put some of it into some small bottles from Ikea and will be giving those away as gifts.

I also felt like a very smart boy because eggnog only uses the yolks of eggs, so I used the whites to make Bourdain-style grill bitch bar nuts and an egg white omelet.

If anyone's curious:
Cooked Eggnog
Combine and set aside:
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream

Whisk until blended:
12 egg yolks
1 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Whisk in:
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream

Transfer the mix to a large, heavy saucepan and place over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes a little thicker than heavy cream (about 175 F). Do not overheat, or mixture will curdle. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the reserved milk and cream. Pour through a strainer into a storage container. chill thoroughly, uncovered, then stir in:
1 1/2 cups brandy, cognac, dark rum, or bourbon

Refridgerate at least 3 hours. Serve sprinkled with ground nutmeg.

The Grill Bitch's Bar Nuts
(from Appetites by Anthony Bourdain, which is great)
Ingredients:
4 egg whites
5 pounds mixed nuts
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons salt

"I first worked with Beth Aretsky, who later came to identify herself as 'the Grill Bitch', at One Fifth, one of the many long-gone New York City restaurants of my checkered career. She created these spicy and sweet bar nuts, which caused many a customer to linger over drinks far beyond the advisable cutoff point. They are truly addictive."

Preheat the oven to 325 F.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until they are foamy and nearly stiff.

In another mixing bowl, combine the nuts, sugars, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt and toss to coat. Fold in the egg whites, tossing gently to make sure that all the nuts have been coated in egg white.

Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared sheet pans. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pans and stirring the nuts at the 15 minute mark. The nuts should be dry and crisp after 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I like the southern comfort brand op. The one in the black carton not the red one.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kntfkr posted:

egg creams > egg nog

Good luck finding one. The closest place I can get one is in carroll gardens

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Eggnog is disgusting and I think less of people who enjoy it.

You're a deficient person

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

deficient in nog

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

You're a deficient person

Your mom certainly didn't think I was deficient. :pervert:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I kinda like eggnog. Weird spiced milk drink.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Your mom certainly didn't think I was deficient. :pervert:

Shut up nerd

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Use of their eggs to make Xmas drinks is driving the nog to the brink of extinction.

That is why I go for the more sustainable option of KaleNog.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Shut up nerd

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Terrible.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Cold egg nog is fine, but working at a coffee shop made it impossible for me to drink it again. Serving someone a venti sized steamed eggnog drink turned me off of nog for life.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Tom and Jerry's are nog-adjacent and quite delicious

The only true nog at a bar near me uses Almond milk and is thus poison to my weak rear end immune system so I take what I can get :(

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

bossy lady posted:

Good luck finding one. The closest place I can get one is in carroll gardens

I make my own like grandma taught me. The local shop rite actually sells Fox's U-bet.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Tried this a while back

It was okay, tasted more like creamy peanut butter than actual eggnog.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I always look forward to eggnog, but this year I got some at the Target then forgot it was in my shopping bag and left it out on the counter for like 8 hours and I thought that was safe because it was still sealed but I was sick as hell to my stomach for like 2 days.

The best Nasty Holiday treat is fruit cake, I was seriously bummed when the big local bakery stopped making theirs. Pannetone is a weak second.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Store bought eggnog is awesome when you need to drink your days calories within 12oz.

NoSlacking
Dec 23, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

If you ever frozen cum for later, it keeps pretty much the same way.

Do you often freeze and store your cum?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

You can freeze eggnog in the winter and thaw it out for when you want something refreshing in August.

If you learn to make your own you can have egg nog whenever you want.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

feels weird to even consider eggnog in summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
I made this which turned out pretty good:

2 oz Bourbon
1/2 oz Brandy
1/2 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 1/2 oz milk
1 egg

first dry shaken, then shaken over ice, strained into a mug
topped with a dusting of nutmeg and cinnamon