Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ground floor :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There were plenty of goons pointing to the Christian Eriksen situation in the soccer Euros in 2021, both from the athlete pulling through and the officials making the teams play on.

Absolutely gutted and shocked, and kind of consider myself lucky I turned the game off a bit before that. I’ve seen enough deaths in motorsports, it’s never easy to process. Never.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Congrats shirts and skins, happy that you’re both feeling confident enough to make the change and safe enough here to bring it to this motley group :unsmith:

I can’t remember who specifically mentioned “dry January but for snacks” but that’s absolutely what I need right now too. Have actually gone most of the year without any alcohol (still haven’t been to a bar since early 2020) but treats is a different thing entirely. Challenge accepted.

Meanwhile I’m in hell because our 9-month-old has now gotten in the pattern of being up at 2:30 every morning and not going back to sleep for at least an hour and a half. I don’t know what flipped that keeps her from sleeping through the night but my god it needs to flip back.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nine month sleep regression continues on. I’ve been up for two and a half hours and it’s almost 5 am. The little one is like a wound-up toy as soon as I put her into her crib, it’s absurd.

Somebody in the parenting thread called this stage absolute hell and I’m inclined to agree. It’s why this has felt like three weeks long for me at least :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Abugadu posted:

Want that Run the Jewels video to become real

Dear god this, though I think that was faux-UN. But still.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Big Jesus posted:

I’m so tired. So so tired.

Sleep regressions are the Absolute Worst, and you’re dealing with twins. I feel you.

Let’s also knock the drag queen topic on the head for now, nothing good will come out of discussion here. Better taken to D&D, honestly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

the busy day was 9 months ago

:dadjoke:

HBD to all and sundry!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

She died of COVID? You’re supposed to get vaxxed but lie about it you idiot.

Down at the bottom end of the grift totem pole, they’re true believers. Including about vaccinations for the ‘rona.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s lovely that your partner had to go through that TT. Hope she can use this time to reset and find a job where she’s not getting harassed.

Yeah, seriously. I know it’s simpler to take a deal like this but hopefully things had already escalated such that whoever was responsible for being a piece of poo poo at least faces some repercussions.

And getting a partner out of a bad work experience is tough too. Mine didn’t have anything nearly that bad, but supporting her through a tough job and a job change wasn’t much fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I wonder how much NG lobby paid him to tweet this

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1612903995605147649

Much less than you think, but he’s also a coal baron so this one might just be for the love of the game and not a paycheck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

The Lloyd Center Mall in East Portland is trying to reinvigorate itself with cheap-rear end tent & an appeal to local artists/vendors. They're trying to court small food carts to turn a wing into a gigantic food court, which IMO isn't that bad of an idea (I noticed food markets popping up in the city lately). Floating World Comics also moved into the mall and it sounds like there's a real push to get creatives into the building.

Lloyd Center absolutely deserves to be reborn in that mold and model, even if it takes a few years to get there. That area has service by Portland’s light rail, a ton of parking and a fairly central location. I have a lot of love for that place from growing up in NE.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

e. of course they could never sell them here. The belt line is too low to have effective side impact bars, the bumpers wouldn't pass modern pedestrian impact safety requirements, etc. etc. it's just not a possible design for today. But it's nice to dream.

Don’t need to sell the whole new car if you can just sell conversion kits for the existing (surviving?) ones.

Apparently the Hydrogen one has the few engine mods needed to burn that H2, and uses a tank or two that they also use in the Mirai cars, so it’s probably good for a few hundred miles of range.

The EV one is borrowing a battery and motor from one of Toyota’s hybrids so it might not be too fast or have great range, but I absolutely want to do that in the future with some ‘80s or ‘90s classic. They have the electric motor going into the existing transmission, which means some power loss but they keep the clutch and five-speed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Double post for a completely different chat: I got kimchi to go with canned tuna because I am basic and that's something the internet suggested. Do I cook it up? On the stove? or just eat that poo poo cold. I'm not going to microwave it, I know fish does not go in the microwave.

You can use kimchi in hot dishes, like fried rice or general stir fry - I think that’s what I’d do in this case.

We actually did Japanese-style hot pot last night including kimchi and a kimchi-based soup, was really good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

:hmmyes:

Make an omlet with rice and kimchi inside. Pro more

So Japanese omurice essentially, which is definitely something I should try soon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

I only know of omurice from Terrace House, which I miss dearly.

It fully went rear end-out in its death though. RIP Hana.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Cowboys kicker pulling a full Knoblauch on MNF right now.

It just occurred to me that no kids even know who Chuck Knoblauch even is, christ.

It almost felt like some kind of weird scorigami bet.

Now there’s a stoppage for a player down, possible back injury. Ain’t football great :/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

does tff:ct have suggestions for a decent work laptop backpack?

prefer simple over like a BILLION pockets

if it could double as a good day pack that'd be a bonus

I have an Incase City backpack, it is pretty simple on the outside but has plenty of storage options inside. Think my work laptop is 15” and it rides alright in there. No dedicated water bottle holder or anything, but enough space inside for one. Might be too common/generic, but it’s popular because it’s well made. Would also look at Timbuk2, I have one of their shoulder bags and they at least sell replacement parts for anything that breaks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Coco13 posted:

How are the XBox controls? I played through the first three levels on Switch in portable mode and with the regular joycons it felt like I was wearing two left gloves trying to play.

I have the N64 pad for Switch, need to try it at some point.

Also isn’t the Xbox version just the earlier remake that Rare did that never saw the light of day? Entirely possible that has added proper dual stick controls, while the N64 emulator on Switch…won’t.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Trying to think of a good “permission to buzz the tower” joke and can’t think of anything.

Also I didn’t play the miniature 40k/fantasy games but had friends in high school/college who did, but what my dorky rear end did do with them was the Warhammer PnP RPG during some summer/winter breaks in college. It’s a whole lot more low fantasy than Dungeons and Dragons, which brings its own charms.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Not at all odd, my friend.

The weird hosed up setting is the best part.

Last week’s Shutdown Fullcast podcast episode went into great detail about comparing 40K factions to college football teams, and it was pretty wonderful for it.

Anybody with and Xbox or PC and GamePass needs to go download Hi-Fi Rush, a super stylish Devil May Cry/action game with a focus on rhythm. It’s a lot of fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

But yeah my home state is riddled with aging poorly maintained high pressure natural gas lines right under our homes, and yes we do have loads of massive earthquakes, I'm sure these aren't a problem though.

Most major cities in Japan are also natural gas pipes to (many/most) apartment complexes and homes, yes it’s also an insanely earthquake-prone location why do you ask? :v:

If we ever build a place/have to renovate, I’ll drop induction electric in. Otherwise just always running the fan when the stovetop is on, and we have checks of the fire and gas alarms every few months, so as long as that still works it’s some comfort.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Honest question: is it bad the sushi in a Japanese airport is the best I’ve ever had in my life

Like I thought I’ve been to decent places

Nah, there are some decent restaurants at both Haneda and Narita.

Now when you get around to getting this surprise from sushi from the 7-11… :q:

There’s a fishmonger not far from our place that also has a restaurant attached, and said restaurant is on Uber Eats here. It’s what we’ve gone to of late for delivery sushi orders and it’s pretty incredible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

27 hours of travel, we finally got to Phuket around 8 am, hosed around until we got to our hotel at 2, check in and did the beach, ate, drinks, then around 4 pm local time we put our heads down for a quick nap before going out for the evening

roughly 15 hours later we woke up.

Phuket is fun, it’s where my wife and I did our honeymoon. We had a bit shorter trip down there though, in fairness.

I miss travel :smith: need to get the little one a bit stable and into daycare before even thinking about a work trip or a personal trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

TIL the correct pronunciation of Tidus from FFX is "Teedus"

what the gently caress

Looks like the Japanese originally is ティーダ so that S in Tidus is silent, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I got mine after I completed the youth program.

(Social Security, the US national pension plan. Not that other thing :v: )

At some point I need to start the paperwork of getting our little one her passports and registered with the embassy, but we’re not planning on traveling overseas with her for a while so I can be a bit lazy there. Should do it soon though. Better safe than sorry etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think every kid in the PNW goes through a volcano phase

Realizing there’s an active volcano in the city limits of Portland is a pretty :aaaaa: moment.

And then I moved to Tokyo, with Mt Fuji right there as a ticking time bomb :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlindSite posted:

Gdt thread already full of the yearly dickheads.

If people are being lovely, report them. Not joking.

Anyways, halftime show was real good

https://twitter.com/NateIsARudo/status/1624944621569679361

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Worst person you know dot jpeg

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's funny because safety usually saves money. You're right that only the dumb ones cut them out.

but cutting away from fixed costs gooses the stock price like none other, and we all know it's the stock price that matters more than anything, including running a proper sustainable business. (:v: )

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

A poor imitation of the Big M8 meme, to be honest.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Because my partner is Japanese, she sometimes treats steaks as yakiniku both from cooking and how she wants to eat it. It’s taken some work to get her more onboard with medium-cooked steaks in general. The other problem is that most of the steaks we can get from local grocery stores are thinner so easier to treat that way.

LeeMajors posted:

Cook whatever you want, just never post pictures. That’s the mistake. Food is hard to photograph even when it is fine, but the trolls will get you no matter what.

This. It’s hard to prep it to look beautiful, and even harder to photo and transition that to a screen.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I kinda get the comparison, sorta open world, half of it is being drunk constantly and picking fights. But yeah they are very different things in their various versions of dudes rock insanity.

e: Yakuza stories if you care about the story are film noir in the end, GTA stories are stories are gangsters making good? Which is odd for a series named Yakuza, but I think that's generally true.

the first game doesn't have the most to its story, but 2 sets the bar incredibly high because they brought on a film/TV writer who had experience doing this genre type. Yakuza 3 kind of takes a diversion, but 4-5 are both huge, Zero (next in release order) is one of the best games of the past generation, and 6 is incredibly solid. 7: Like a Dragon was great, but it's got a different combat style (JRPG turn-based combat knocking off Dragon Quest games) which takes some time to grasp.

Ishin is a remake of a game which is set in the Meiji Restoration, so late 19th century after the United States rolled some warships into Tokyo Bay and said "'sup?". It casts different semi-historical figures as characters/actors from the mainline series. It also was originally made before Zero (was the first game on the PS4 IIRC) so might have some clunky aspects to it, I haven't started yet but will do so soon.

also the biggest difference between these games and GTA is that most of your movement in GTA is not at the walking scale, but driving, whereas the Yakuza games are almost all on foot. It's literally the difference between living in Los Angeles and living in Tokyo. 7: LaD is one of the bigger single-city map areas, and it's just one large neighborhood that's a pastiche of like three districts of Yokohama smashed together, but you're still not actually driving around any of it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It was 66 F/19 C over the weekend.

And down to freezing overnight like two days later. 🫠

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

It's really sad how few of the soldiers that were stationed over there took advantage of BEING IN loving EUROPE. Like you said, they could just rent a car or buy/borrow a hooptie from another soldier.

Same thing for Japan, at least for a good number of them. Especially Okinawa, because that’s got tons of 18-year-old Marines fresh out of high school and basic.

I haven’t been on a base in years and don’t need to. Except for, like, if I ever wanted to do a full turkey for Thanksgiving. But that’s about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Agreed. I’ve never regretted a trip or vacation I’ve ever taken. I have *definitely* regretted skipping trips.

Same - I’m beyond grateful I got to travel a ton for work and personal reasons in 2019, and by that I mean 4 different continents and 8 different countries, because I haven’t been on a plane in more than 3 years by now. (This is partially COVID but now mostly the baby).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

We are supposed to be going to Thailand at the end of year to see the in-laws and my wife is planning to fly out a couple of weeks ahead of me with the baby in order to get some additional family time, which sure knock yourself out bud. We flew to Florida for Thanksgiving and he was at least good on that flight.

Her sister has been living with us for a while but is supposed to be moving home for good by the end of the year, going to see if we can't time things so that they fly there together.

You might be in the same place but if we came to visit we’d likely need both passports just to be safe, because both Japan and the US are countries that require dual citizens to enter on that passport instead of their other one. I need a little bit more of a break after doing my own paperwork before sticking my hand back in the bureaucracy woodchipper sounds like fun (at least I never have to get a visa here again).

My buddy lives in Australia, and coming back to the US with his toddler for the first time this summer. 14 hours in the air for just one flight. Thailand can’t be easier, don’t think anybody in the US does BKK direct do they (LAX)?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If her parents' flight over here last year is any indication, I'll probably have a layover in Doha this time which will be a new experience.

If it’s anything like Dubai’s Emirates terminal, it would be described as opulent. That place is seriously nice.

At least my family will be coming to visit soon - first time seeing both since fall 2019, and for them to meet the little one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Playing Atomic Heart (free on game pass) and the main characters voice actor is garbage enough that I might stop playing. Which is sad because the game seems pretty interesting so far

Hi-Fi Rush is also on Gamepass and so incredibly good if you are looking for something that plays in the vein of a Devil May Cry but with a sunnier aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Of course, many of the scam websites bubble up to the top of the search results without being sponsored. Those, presumably, are just taking advantage of flaws in The Algorithm; but reportedly, people have little recourse when they're being hosed over this way and google doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

From what I’ve heard of takedowns on YouTube, it follows a similar “fast to allow bad actors / slow to offer recourse” vibe. Wonder why.