Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

That boy needs therapy.

Psychosomatic.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah the princess is barely an Isekai character.

Someday I want someone to write a good rear end sociology paper on the evolution of isekai anime/manga/LNs because I think would be genuinely fascinating if you could corral enough evidence together to properly chart the trend. I point out that what you might call "serious" isekai stories that take the default power fantasy premise at face value may now be possibly in the minority of the genre with the default assumption for those kinds of stories being some kind of twist or subversion.

From my own personal myopic, incomplete view (of an entire loving genre mind, I'm probably talking on my rear end) poo poo like Seirei Gensouki which plays the entire thing totally straight was actually noteworthy because it was so doggedly serious about it and because that seriousness seems like the exception than the rule now. I'm not saying they don't exist, but my impression of the way that particular story archetype moved is that the real torchbearer for the genre was Konosuba, which of course is actively taking the piss. It seems like you can't trip over an isekai these days that doesn't have some kind of subversion to it, be it having a self-aware lead who throws a lampshade on everything (Slime Witch, Isekai Drugstore) or the protagonist has some weird handicap or setback to them (Moonlight Fantasy, Reincarnated As a Fantasy Knockout, Bakarina), or the very premise is being played around with (Executioner and Her Way of Life, Restaurant in Another World, Isekai Uncle, So I'm a Spider, etc). And that's nothing to touch on the way that the actual details of the isekai power fantasy have started to morph over the years…

Now it almost seems like we're at the extreme other end of it and we have isekai stories where the main character being from another world is almost an afterthought. Almost nothing of substance would change if the Marauder Princess was a magitek inventing weirdo native to her own world, heck I gotta wonder if she's a reincarnate just for the punny alliterative title. And contrariwise I can point to a couple of recent mid tier fantasy shows that a couple of years ago probably would have been isekai stories and just aren't.

tl;dr: Media and how it promulgates is weird, trends go in cycles, and I gotta wonder where it all goes from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Big Leg posted:

gonna echo the sentiment that magical revolution was great. i like that the main girl is just chisato from lycoris recoil

"Chisato but magic" is a hell of a pitch.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gonna shout out Mou Ippon's second episode for having a truly great background gag during the lunch scene on the roof.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hunt11 posted:

Bofuri continues to be everything I wanted out of it.

It's very in character for Maple to take a wrong turn and accidentally fight a super boss. This is, what? The fourth time that's happened? Fifth?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Whoof, Bofuri S2 shifted suddenly into CGI animation for the main fight scene in this episode and it was rough. Stuck out even more since S1 had some really good fight animation.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Maera Sior posted:

I assume that's not supposed to be a magic arm.

Sadly no, the magic arm looked a lot better when they showed it off.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mou Ippon continuing to strut its stuff for another week, this time with some fantastic Judo action. In a mid-card kind of season this is a hell of a mid-card show.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well that explains why the last episode of Bofuri S2 looked like crap, they were spending all the budget on the fight in this episode. And it actually turned out well! Just a hard knuckle, knockdown, drag out, big rear end brawl with a Dark Souls boss.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maple making a good case to be in the next Super Robot Wars

Maple knows to believe in the Sally that believes in her.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile, in Bofuri

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

marumaru posted:

cyberpunk is borderlands but good looking and without the insufferable big bang theory tier "humor"

I can think of very few things that have aged worse than Borderlands and its particular brand of humor.

Hunt11 posted:

At this rate the final boss will just be a clone of Maple.

The in-universe message board has been making that joke since last season.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FilthyImp posted:

An estranged father invites his son to his work in an effort to get closer to the memory of his deceased wife.

I would unironically like to see the alternative version of Eva where this is a representative description of the series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ninjewtsu posted:

"bad show trip reports" are not bad, and in fact can be fun to read. however, they require that the content be unusual or shocking in some manner, and the content being reported on now is gross and uncomfortable but also cliche and mundane, which is a bad combination.

Basically the problem is that so much of this is basically Isekai Shovelware. I've said it before, but your genre is in a bad way when "Doesn't have gross sexual stuff" is considered noteworthy enough to report as a positive.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

No villain can beat the Precure, Sentai or Rider but golf can!

Insert image of Eva saying she'll Murder you using golf

I still remember the time Kamen Rider Fourze got preempted by a golf tournament... In the middle of the two-part storyline with the Tauros Zodiart which involved them challenging him to golf. The final shot of Meteor in the week before was him practicing his swing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile Gundam has been having primo dumbass names as a direct result of none of Gundam's producers telling Tomino "you are not naming this guy 'M'quve'". Now we've got all-timers like "Kakrikorn Kacooler", "Fixx Bloodman", "Bork Cry", "Roybea Roy", and of course the legendary "Bring Stabity".

Basically I'm glad that franchise has had a positive impact on Japanese anime names.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Furnaceface posted:

I need to rewatch Endro. I remember being pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

Endro! from my perspective has the right mix of self-awareness, genre spoof, and actual love for the material it's riffing on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sb hermit posted:

I think I'm gonna start on the first episode of mou ippon because I hear it's good and it's not an isekai

Can confirm it is a) good and b) not an isekai.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

galagazombie posted:

The best part about Dunbine is that they give the cool insectoid suit to the hero. Any other show that would be a villain mech.
Okay well the actual best part is ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK! ORE WA SEEEN SHIIIIII!

Second best part is the second opening to Dunbine where they keep on swapping back and forth on whether to highlight it or the Bilbine (which is a way cooler mech, Fight me) seemingly at random. Including the great shot where the singer shouts "AURA BATTLER! DUNBINE!" and it fires a blanket of magic aura and the Bilbine pops out of it like a really ridiculous magic trick.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Look, I've read Saint Young Men, Jesus is a big-time Himbo with an overprotective dad.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I suspect given the way the manga seems like its on its way to a conclusion that it probably doesn't have more one more season's worth of stuff, unless it does indeed turn into Gundam or Star Trek or something.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Given how impressively and extensively incomplete all of the Shaman King sequels are, I am curious how they're going to wrench an anime out of that material.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile, in Bofuri:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile, in Bofuri, the prophecy has come to pass and Maple now has her own dungeon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Alright! End of season retrospectives:

Ningen Fushin: Sometimes you can watch a show and know absolutely that its problems are the result of a poor adaptation. This is one of those shows. Considering it from the lens of content this show should have worked, you have a conceit that is starting to wear out but is still functional here and works, you have a setting that someone clearly spent some amount of time thinking about that feels believable, you have a cast of good characters with a strong dynamic and generally interesting back stories who are used to forward surprisingly strong writing riffing on the central themes of the series in effective ways. And unfortunately, because of some combination of poor budget, poor directing, and poor production all of that kind of gets buried. The action is isn't as cool as it should be, the scenes aren't as affecting as they could be, the individual pacing of episodes isn't as tight as they could have been, and overall the show disappoints. This really could have been something…

Magical Revolution: Speaking of adaptations that aren't on the ball, this one. To basically rehash what I said in the thread about it, the biggest problem was the pacing and tied into that the second biggest problem was the framing of the last arc. I dug the hell out of our extremely gay protagonists and was genuinely invested in the setting and their goals and the background politics and some of the wilder setting things, but it feels like the show didn't get all the things the story needed to on screen. Maybe it was because they were trying to do three volumes in 12 episodes and so some of it got the short shrift, but it still feels like there were some things they lingered on for too long and some things they skipped over that should have been expanded upon. And it is frustrating because when the show actually had the time and inclination to focus in on something it was genuinely excellent, but there just wasn't enough time spent on all the things that needed the time and attention, and I'm not sure it was just because of the episode count.

Bofuri S2: So this is being super delayed because of covid, to the point it may possibly turn into the next Isekai Ojiisan, which is kind of a pity because this was exceptionally good, fatuous nonsense. Absolutely no stakes, very little in the way of central storyline, a particularly dodgy looking episode, and I am having a blast watching it. It's kind of hilarious how good some of the action scenes really were given that the show is primarily a vector for gags. Still, this season has been giving plenty of screen time and attention and cool moments to Maple Tree, and it still has plenty of fun visuals and ridiculous situations and of course the baffled forum goers showing up the end of every episode. Ultimately it's more of the same and I got everything I wanted and more.

Giant Beasts of Ars: This feels like a show out of time. I can totally imagine some weird parallel timeline where this particular show aired on Toonami or Adult Swim in the early 2000's and became kind of a seminal work for a particular cohort of anime fans. In some respects it reminds me a little bit of Outlaw Star and that it's kind of a ropey travelogue that's really cool in concept never quite reaches its full potential. I dig the cast but it never feels like the show uses them to their full potential. The world is fascinating and I don't necessarily hate we didn't get everything, but there's a difference between having an open ending and leaving some mysteries and the series feeling incomplete and, yeah. And I feel the story is a mess in large part because they seem to change their mind about what the show is about four times in the back half of the series. And yet I can imagine another world where it became huge because the dream of the show is so much bigger, broader, and more incredible than the actual reality of the show.

I will also unreservedly say that the show has an awesome opening, and it has some of the coolest orcs I've ever seen in an anime.

The Fire Hunters S1: Christ alive did take a long time for the show to get to the meat of things, as in literally the last episode of the season is when it felt like it was starting to pay off anything. This was a slow, downbeat show with transparently tiny budget and yet I kept coming back to it every week. It was a strange experience feeling like the show was paced like molasses, yet I only noticed that in retrospect instead of when I'm actually watching it which suggests it did something right. What it didn't do right was having two protagonists, one a genius kid investigating the (honestly fascinating) mysteries the world and the other a scared girl completely out of her depth who spends most of her time whimpering and apologizing making the genius kid the boring protagonist I was tired of seeing very quickly. I was completely invested in Touko and figuring out what her deal was and I quickly got tired of the other one, possibly because the show made it painstakingly clear he was going around in circles and it would take until Touko actually meeting him for anything he did to pay off, meanwhile scared girl was fighting monsters and insect ninjas and engaging in a perilous (but downbeat and slow) journey pretty much from minute 1.

I am honestly not sure I can recommend this show in good conscience, but goddammit I think I'm gonna watch the second season.

Digimon Ghost Game: I adored this show. I loved the cast, the setting, the concepts, the themes, the stories, the animation, the production values, the progression of our protagonists, the designs of the new Digimon, the use of all the Digimon new and old, just the absolute vibe of the show was :discourse: for me. Yeah, sure, it didn't really have a go at having a properly serialized storyline until literally the last four episodes, but you know what? I will absolutely take an excellent 67 episode occult horror anthology, and if those occult horror stories are absolutely excellent modern-day entries into my most beloved franchise all the better.

If absolutely nothing else Ghost Game felt like it was made by people who gave a poo poo. I got the sense the production staff were checked out of Digimon Adventure 20 halfway through and utterly exhausted by the final arc, but Ghost Game had a consistent feeling of drive, energy, and consistent vision all the way through. Honestly? If I could change one thing would probably be to put over Diarbbitmon and Amphimon more and use the other two Gammamon forms, but other than that 100% yes I loved this show. Here's hoping for Digimon Seekers to knock it out of the park.

Handyman Saitou in Another World: I have mixed feelings on this one. I liked the early one shot gag stories, and I also enjoyed the way that it segued into having actual, more substantive storylines using all the characters introduced in the one shots, and I also really liked all the characters... Except Morlock. Morlock absolutely turned me off. I dug everyone else in the party but him, and so some of the later episodes were kind of exhausting because he was thrust into the center stage and made the most important member of the party for a lot of pivotal moments and I just, I really don't like him. And given the drama of the final storyline of the show is entirely built around the assumption you like him, yeah I didn't really care for those episodes very much. When it was about Saitou, Handyman Saitou was really good! I just wish it was more about Handyman Saitou.

Mou Ippon!: So there's one more episode of this, but unless the ending is shockingly awful (which has happened) I'm going to come out and say this was a drat good sports anime, and really can you ask for more from it? The cast are cool, the interactions are good, the dialogue is really exceptional, then make Judo look really cool, and it does way better putting over what you might call "being a good sport" than a lot of other shows in the same genre that I've seen. This is very much a "High School Girls With Hobbies" anime, and like other successful shows of the genre a good part of the strength is making it fun to hang out with these characters. I would definitely like another season of this, I want to see how far this little Judo club can go!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Agronox posted:

It's ok. You're allowed to do that

Can confirm. You're also allowed to post a retrospective on the shows you watched, and people don't even need to agree with it!

Wild, isn't it?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Allarion posted:

As someone who was not part of Ghost Game watch, it was really funny to see you guys dread Ghost Game each week.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Allarion posted:

Half the shows that Squark listed were group streams I was in. Digimon ghost game was not one of the streams I was in but got to hear comments on the side about.

Ah. Their loss I guess.