Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

just moved to the "City of Brotherly Love". Want to learn more about this blessed place: its customs, landmarks, and values. Allentown, Pittsburgh, Scranton etc also welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

this man (Thomas Westerman Wolf) runs the joint. Is he any good?

NERD ALERT:

wiki posted:

After earning his Ph.D., his dissertation on the United States House of Representatives was named the best of 1981 by the American Political Science Association.

a man of principle:

quote:

Wolf has expressed his opposition to targeting countries with economic sanctions or boycotts, saying, "We ... will not encourage economic punishment in place of peaceful solutions to challenging conflicts"[56] (he later singled out Russia as an exception to this policy and immediately declared his support for sanctions and divestment from Russia after the 2022 invasion of Ukraine during his second term).[57]

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I just learned what a prostate is because our most notable senator has been afflicted.

BOB CASEY

"Mister Mercurial" they call him.

wiki posted:

In 2009, Casey voted to allow firearms in checked baggage on trains, and he has also voted against bills that would restrict gun ownership; in 2013 he voted to ban high-capacity magazines carrying over 10 rounds.[71] On April 17, 2013, Casey voted in favor of the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act to amend the background check process and require a background check for firearms transfers made at gun shows or on the internet.[72] His fellow Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey was a cosponsor in creating the bill.

On June 16, 2016, The Washington Post reported that "'pro-gun' Bob Casey" had become "an evangelist for gun control laws". After the Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, he had "completely flipped his views" on several gun issues, largely as a result of having been "accosted" by his wife and daughter. "Casey has since embraced every major proposal to counter gun violence," reported the Post

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

The Steagles are the main historical gridiron football team.

wiki posted:

The Steagles were the team created by the temporary merger of Pennsylvania's two National Football League (NFL) teams, the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles, during the 1943 season. The two franchises were compelled to field a single combined team because both had lost many players to military service during World War II.

Most NFL football players wanted to do their patriotic duty and serve their country, and for a man fit to play football, an IV-F classification was an embarrassment. One Steagle and future Hall of Famer, Bill Hewitt, quit in the middle of the season. He could not take the ridicule and subsequent guilt feelings anymore.

Tony Bova, the Steagles' leading receiver with 17 receptions, was blind in one eye and partially blind in the other. Steagles guard Ed Michaels was nearly deaf and center Ray Graves was deaf in one ear.[3] One starting defensive end was blind in one eye and nearly legally blind in the other. The Steagles tailback John Butler made his first start one day after being classified IV-F by his draft board for poor eyesight and bad knees.

Further exacerbating the issue was the continued insistence of George Preston Marshall and other NFL owners on continuing the ten-year-old ban on black players, which disqualified potential replacement players such as Kenny Washington.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

love this city

platzapS has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Jan 6, 2023

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

not me. sorry op good luck on your journey

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Go Steelers!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

platzapS posted:

a man of principle:

lol

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
The best cheesesteak and hoagies are from dicostanza’s

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i've heard good things baout this place called Cranberry Township, it sounds like a place to start raising a family, thoughts?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
enjoy throwing batteries at Mets fans, OP

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Never heard of it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Two things only Pennsylvanians will understand:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
go to the allentown farmer's market and buy scrapple from baringer bros meats

that is the best scrapple i will fight anyone

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hang on a sec, going by the name, they slice the potato very thin, a "chip" of the potato so to speak? Then cook it in a kettle? I like barbeque but not sure if waffle has a distinctive flavor to impart to the potato slice. Hm, if I ever get up to Pennsylvania I'll have to try one out.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Ask euph about the 76ers

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
or utz, they're everywhere now because they're awesome

or synder's sourdough hard pretzels, also everywhere.

and there's tastycake. PA is snacky as hell

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

penisylvania

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
penis wood

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Hang on a sec, going by the name, they slice the potato very thin, a "chip" of the potato so to speak? Then cook it in a kettle? I like barbeque but not sure if waffle has a distinctive flavor to impart to the potato slice. Hm, if I ever get up to Pennsylvania I'll have to try one out.

Not all chips are equal
Hartley's gently caress those things up with some sort of super concentration of seasoning that makes them entirely unlike anything else you'll have ever tasted

it's almost certainly enough salt and saturated fat to stop your heart in a single serving, but if you're already resigned to eating chips you may as well do it right

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
WaWa or Sheetz?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
wawa owns

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wawa and sheetz are both good

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

lol look at this loser who isn't eating middleswarths

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Milosh posted:

WaWa or Sheetz?

Objectively Wawa

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

If you’re around Philly, Herr’s has a great factory tour up by Oxford, PA. And a free huge Christmas light display in winter

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Ask euph about the 76ers

this

2fat4sex
Apr 18, 2005

I live here. It's alright. Definitely not the worst place to be in this hell country.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

lol look at this loser who isn't eating middleswarths

middleswarths bbq kettle chips are also really loving good
maybe better
depends on the mood

Sunny Side Up posted:

If you’re around Philly, Herr’s has a great factory tour up by Oxford, PA. And a free huge Christmas light display in winter

these I've never had. Guess they didn't make it that far west in the state.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

platzapS posted:

love this city

wtf you moved to my old neighborhood

Milosh posted:

WaWa or Sheetz?

the closest Sheetz to me is 35 miles away and I've only been to one once, but Wawa has been going downhill since the aggressive Florida expansion and the move away from Amoroso's rolls means there's no reason to buy a sandwich there anymore. so, Sheetz

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

indigi posted:

wtf you moved to my old neighborhood

the closest Sheetz to me is 35 miles away and I've only been to one once, but Wawa has been going downhill since the aggressive Florida expansion and the move away from Amoroso's rolls means there's no reason to buy a sandwich there anymore. so, Sheetz

I tried a Wawa sub in Florida and the best I can say is "competitively priced." I don't see why Pennsylvanians are so proud of their gas-stations-with-hoagies when there are a million actual sandwich shops here.

Today I rode the subway (love it) to Center City (that's what we call downtown) and saw Franklin's greatest work as an architect, the Monument to Chastity.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I've lived in this city my whole life. It always loving sucked, and it's worse now then ever. I hate it.

Tankie's is a Marine Corps bar.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

enjoy throwing batteries at Mets fans, OP
Philadelphia loves its teams!

wiki posted:

studies that attempt to rank the 32 fan bases in the NFL consistently place Eagles fans among the best in the league, noting their "unmatched fervor."

Eagles fans have also been known to chant the famous, "E-A-G-L-E-S – Eagles!" at Flyers, Phillies, and 76ers games when the team is getting blown out late in a game and a loss is inevitable, signifying their displeasure with the given team's performance, and that they are instead putting their hope into the Eagles.

Here's the video that planted the seed of my phillyphilia back in 2017 after the Eagles won the Superbowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXRK1-FV_98
I thought wow--that must be a city worth sacrificing for.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Jan 6, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

platzapS posted:

love this city

Tankie's used to be Cookie's.

It was an amazing dive bar with no beer on tap, just cans of Rolling Rock, generously poured liquor shots, or Carlo Rossi in plastic cups, cash only. Smoking allowed. An Italian man sold pills out of the women's restroom. The bartender was a deaf bookie. There was a shotgun mounted on the wall over the mirror behind the bar with a sign that said WE DON'T CALL 911. An ancient jukebox was in one corner, it still worked fine.

Then the owner died and now it's just another casualty of gentrification.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 6, 2023

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

philly is cool. its alright

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Milosh posted:

WaWa or Sheetz?

Rutters

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

platzapS posted:

I tried a Wawa sub in Florida and the best I can say is "competitively priced." I don't see why Pennsylvanians are so proud of their gas-stations-with-hoagies when there are a million actual sandwich shops here.

Today I rode the subway (love it) to Center City (that's what we call downtown) and saw Franklin's greatest work as an architect, the Monument to Chastity.

i rode the subway today and i didn’t see you there

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I tried to wave to you Drunkboxer!

One thumb down so far to the Free Library of Philadelphia. The two small branches I've tried had pisspoor selection, for babies. Weirdly strict about having a local address too, ended up having to show my digital apartment lease to get a card.

My backup plan was to make such a scene that they'd call the cops, and then use the police report as proof of residence. I should eat something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

good luck with the Philadelphia police department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wawa is trash, Philadelphia area people defend it out of tribalism. I would never speak ill of it to an out of towner. Amongst themselves, the people of SE PA talk only about how Wawa used to be good.