Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

platzapS posted:

Monument to Chastity.

Is the theory here that you put the clothes peg on your dick hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Wawa hoagies are alright and you don't have to pay for them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tankie's used to be Cookie's.

It was an amazing dive bar with no beer on tap, just cans of Rolling Rock, generously poured liquor shots, or Carlo Rossi in plastic cups, cash only. Smoking allowed. An Italian man sold pills out of the women's restroom. The bartender was a deaf bookie. There was a shotgun mounted on the wall over the mirror behind the bar with a sign that said WE DON'T CALL 911. An ancient jukebox was in one corner, it still worked fine.

Then the owner died and now it's just another casualty of gentrification.

they also used to sell beer to 12-13 year old me on New Year's Eve. didn’t know the guy died RIP thanks for making my NYEs fun

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

euphronius posted:

good luck with the Philadelphia police department

Speaking of, I learned about a Famous Pennsylvanian: Frank Rizzo.

You don't often see wikipedia get this blunt:

wiki posted:

He attempted to vote in a charter change to allow him to attempt a run for reelection but was soundly defeated after urging supporters to "Vote white", which he later admitted was "a poor choice of words".

Before, during, and after his tenure as police commissioner, the Philadelphia police department engaged in patterns of police brutality, intimidation, coercion, and disregard for constitutional rights, in particular toward the black community.

He had a certain eloquence

quote:

Just wait after November you'll have a front row seat because I'm going to make Attila the Hun look like a human being.

— Rizzo, during his 1975 reelection campaign

whoops

quote:

Grateful for the positive publicity local media had given him as police commissioner, Rizzo awarded jobs to two dozen local reporters. This quid pro quo caused suspicion and, more significantly, removed Rizzo's most enthusiastic supporters from the media.

His statue in front of the Municipal Services Building was removed after the 2020 George Floyd protests.

platzapS has issued a correction as of 09:20 on Jan 9, 2023

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
It’s not my job to educate you on if anyone else is from Pennsylvania.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Alright fellas let's get some mother bitchin' Pennsylvania state rivalries up 'ere!

Who's got the best lady fingers in Erie? Is it Rizzo's or Carlucci Jr.?

When you're in Stokesdale ordering a hot mash, do you go with or without mayo?

Who's got the hotter babes? Towanda women are hottest or Lycoming County women are even better!

Make sure to reply and don't be afraid to get into pathetic good-natured arguments where you act real indignant about the choice even though you know it's idiotic. I'm compiling all the responses and will have the definitive Pennsylvania state rivalry C-SPAM statistics ready to go by page 1000 in this very thread.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Towanda, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

my grandmother comes from a tribe of hill people in Houtzdale, PA, and I have visited many of your amusement and water parks as an ambassador of southwestern new york

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

truly a cursed place

west pittston is haunted

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

also OP, Philadelphia is not really Pennsylvania. it’s it’s own state in many ways

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pennsylvania begins at Cobbs Creek

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

the old philly racists still cannot stop talking about rizzo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he’s big time in Delco

Dendrite
Jun 17, 2005
Surprisingly uninteresting.

Wawa is trash, Philadelphia area people defend it out of tribalism. I would never speak ill of it to an out of towner. Amongst themselves, the people of SE PA talk only about how Wawa used to be good.

This caused several minutes of uncomfortable self-awareness that I did not need in the morning.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am glad SEPA has got wegmans now tho

big upgrade for the people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pa tip, when your favorite band is playing at the Mann, pay for the premium parking (I think it’s 10$). you get to park right near the entrance ans you can tailgate ans watch the people walk by

leaving the mann at night also owns as Philadelphia becomes a post apocalypse hellscape of highways and cars after dark . or maybe I was still really high

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nobody likes the Mummers. Be leery of anybody that participates in Mummers parades.

It's all January 6th participants in bedazzled costumes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

shyduck posted:

Nobody likes the Mummers. Be leery of anybody that participates in Mummers parades

y'all got mummies in PA?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wish we had mummies instead of Mummers

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

shyduck posted:

Nobody likes the Mummers. Be leery of anybody that participates in Mummers parades.

It's all January 6th participants in bedazzled costumes

the mummers is such a weird thing to explain to out of towners

"so it's like this parade of dudes in brightly colored clothing and theyre all singing and dancing"

"oh so like gay pride?"

"no its mostly like blue collar dudes and chuds"

Wawa is trash, Philadelphia area people defend it out of tribalism. I would never speak ill of it to an out of towner. Amongst themselves, the people of SE PA talk only about how Wawa used to be good.

gently caress you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

thankfully the mummers are dying and we can all move on

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'm not from Pennsylvania

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they couldn’t even get a real broadcast this year and were relegated to a subchannel of some uhf station

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they couldn’t even get a real broadcast this year and were relegated to a subchannel of some uhf station
Not only is this true but it was ever more pathetic because it was hosted by local scumbag Larry Mendte

https://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5418295&page=1

quote:

Longtime television newscaster Larry Mendte was charged Monday with illegally accessing the e-mail of his glamorous former co-anchor, who suspected details of her social life were being leaked to gossip columnists.

Federal prosecutors issued a one-count information charging Mendte, a former KYW-TV anchor, with a felony count of intentionally accessing a protected computer without authorization.

Authorities said he repeatedly hacked into the accounts of Alycia Lane, whose personal life had routinely become tabloid fodder and eventually led to her own dismissal from the station.

"People expect that e-mail in a password-protected personal e-mail account is private," acting U.S. Attorney Laurie Magid said. "The mere accessing and reading of privileged information is criminal. This case, however, went well beyond just reading someone's e-mail."

Mendte gained access to Lane's accounts for more than two years, prosecutors said. In a four-month span starting in January, Mendte accessed her accounts approximately 537 times, authorities said.

He was fired from Philadelphia's CBS affiliate last month after FBI agents searched his home and seized his computer. His attorney, Michael Schwartz, said the charge against Mendte "should not come as a surprise to anyone."

"As we continually have said from day one, Larry has been cooperating fully with the investigators. He continues to cooperate and will accept full responsibility for his actions," Schwartz said Monday.

Lane was fired from KYW in January after a series of embarrassing off-camera incidents, including her arrest following a late-night scuffle with plainclothes police in New York City.

Lane later sued the station, alleging it maliciously damaged her reputation by deliberately promoting her personal life to generate publicity. The station has denied Lane's allegations.

Mendte has been off the air since May 29, the day his home was searched and computer seized. He was fired June 23, days after Lane filed her lawsuit in which she also alleged that keeping Mendte on the payroll during a federal probe amounted to sex discrimination.

Lane began to suspect this year that her e-mail was being accessed and forwarded to news outlets that have covered her career and social life.

Mendte and Lane anchored the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts from September 2003 until Lane was fired. Her lawyer has said Mendte was jealous because she was making $700,000 a year at the time she was fired, somewhat more than Mendte's salary.

Federal guidelines call for a sentence of up to six months in prison if Mendte is found guilty.
He pled guilty and received house arrest and probation

shyduck has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Jan 9, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

y'all got mummies in PA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

drat she got into a scuffle with nypd pigs? queen

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dendrite posted:

This caused several minutes of uncomfortable self-awareness that I did not need in the morning.

To be fair, the bread used to be better

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

To be fair, the bread used to be better

a lot of things have gone wrong with Wawa but this was the keystone. all downhill from there. plus now they're Doing Too Much

a big part of the problem is that the little street/suburban strip mall locations have to offer all the same options as their humongo flagship gas station stores, and there simply isn't the space to staff those locations properly to offer things in a reasonable manner. everything is sloppily made because there just isn't enough room to have more than 2 people making sandwiches at a time, and they have to pump out orders for grubhub too

there's a wawa near me that has the floor space of less than two civics because the deli cutout has been constantly expanded over the past few years to make room for the ice cream machine, smoothie station, ovens they use for rolls, warming racks for the burgers and fries, etc. it's ridiculous. half the poo poo isn't good even when made properly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i was in dc i went to a wawa and got an ice coffee at like 11pm and it owned

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Smythe posted:

when i was in dc i went to a wawa and got an ice coffee at like 11pm and it owned

for the true wawa experience get a hoagie and eat it outside on the trash can

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Smythe posted:

Try stumbling in blind drunk at 2am and managing to get a hoagie and a bag of chips. You'll ascend to a whole new level.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

The Nastier Nate posted:

for the true wawa experience get a hoagie and eat it outside on the trash can

Zeroisanumber posted:

Try stumbling in blind drunk at 2am and managing to get a hoagie and a bag of chips. You'll ascend to a whole new level.

this sounds sick. i do this at 7-11 here kuz theres one near me but its not nearly as good. the sandwiches suck bad compared to wawa and the pizza which i like a lot is always gone by then and im never Man Enough to ask the guy to toss a new one in the oven (which is legal apparenrtly..)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would like the Wawa people to experience drunk/high Sheetz mto

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i freaking love gas station food

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if u like gas station food and arguing about it u can do so here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963251 in the fast food forum which is under my purview :tipshat:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Smythe posted:

i freaking love gas station food

You'd love exit 74 off 95, north of Baltimore. There's a Wawa, Royal Farms, 7-11, and Sheetz all within a mile and a half of each other. There's a weed dispensary there, medical just for now, but Maryland passed adult use recreational so in the future anyone will be able to drive to Exit 74 from anywhere across this great nation to get high as gently caress and sample all the finest gas station dainties the Northeast has to offer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Royal Farms fried chicken is ace

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh yeah Pennsylvania has weed everywhere

it’s cheap and amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

oh yeah Pennsylvania has weed everywhere

it’s cheap and amazing

in my experience the licenses are a pain in the rear end to come by (but in any case I can't have any cause my HR Department is a freakin idiot)